Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Mixing songs like the first Catholics album?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  21:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, wasn't sure what area to post this in. I think there must be lots of music people here.

I am currently slowly in the works on an album where the intention is to kind of do a stripped down Catholics feel, especially the first Catholics album: a rhythm guitar on one side of the stereo and a lead guitar on the other, with bass drums and vocals basically centered. When I hear that Catholics album it sounds so alive.

I guess my problem is I tried this with what I had and I have no idea why but it's just not working. Like it's all smushing together rather than each part sounding distinct. It's kind of hard to explain.

Here's a private soundcloud link to a preliminary rough mix (can't emphasize enough how rough this is.) Also, these are SCRATCH vocals, not the final vocals. I currently can't sing cause of throat problems that I am hoping will get better.

https://soundcloud.com/troubles-afoot/down-i-go-rough-mix-02/s-gWwLI7LhNWE

Anyone have any advice? How can I further separate the instruments? I keep listening to the Frank songs back and forth with my song and I just can't figure out what he's doing differently. I know his guitars are bigger and more distorted sounding, is that it?

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  03:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I imagine peter radiator can give great advice on this kind of subject. Hopefully he'll surface.

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  06:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only contribution could be to help make a chart illustrating the spectrum of albums relative to the sound you’re talking about

“Frank Black & The Catholics” ————— Everything Else ————— “Indie Cindy”
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000