-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Mixing songs like the first Catholics album?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/03/2020 : 21:18:09
Hey everyone, wasn't sure what area to post this in. I think there must be lots of music people here.

I am currently slowly in the works on an album where the intention is to kind of do a stripped down Catholics feel, especially the first Catholics album: a rhythm guitar on one side of the stereo and a lead guitar on the other, with bass drums and vocals basically centered. When I hear that Catholics album it sounds so alive.

I guess my problem is I tried this with what I had and I have no idea why but it's just not working. Like it's all smushing together rather than each part sounding distinct. It's kind of hard to explain.

Here's a private soundcloud link to a preliminary rough mix (can't emphasize enough how rough this is.) Also, these are SCRATCH vocals, not the final vocals. I currently can't sing cause of throat problems that I am hoping will get better.

https://soundcloud.com/troubles-afoot/down-i-go-rough-mix-02/s-gWwLI7LhNWE

Anyone have any advice? How can I further separate the instruments? I keep listening to the Frank songs back and forth with my song and I just can't figure out what he's doing differently. I know his guitars are bigger and more distorted sounding, is that it?
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 04/04/2020 : 06:37:09
My only contribution could be to help make a chart illustrating the spectrum of albums relative to the sound you’re talking about

“Frank Black & The Catholics” ————— Everything Else ————— “Indie Cindy”
trobrianders Posted - 04/04/2020 : 03:59:31
I imagine peter radiator can give great advice on this kind of subject. Hopefully he'll surface.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000