Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Talent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  12:15:08  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.popmatters.com/post/pixies-talent-singles-going-steady/ From zero to Heroes

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  15:33:20  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Opinons of this song are all over the place. I personally like it. Maybe because I'm not looking at it as the next great classic from the band, but simply as a mid-album track.

I mean, I haven't heard the album. But I'm just imagining it to be a good song in the middle of an album that is hopefully full of other good songs.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2016 :  11:39:41  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Time will tell. I can't wait to hear the album. I flat out love the 3 songs they've released so far. There is definitely, undeniably, a different, more urgent attitude on this stuff than IC. IC felt lumbering - as if it was trying to hold up the weight of 20+ years of legend. I really like IC, but this seems like the flip side of that coin. The message I'm getting is, "Okay, we got the initial album out of the way, let's get down to fucking brass tacks here." I have a really really good feeling about this one...

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  23:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After hearing the rest of the album I think I like this a lot more. As a standalone track I was massively underwhelmed but it's definitely growing on me.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  08:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paz and Dave nail the rhythm section on Talent. They are so tight it holds the song together. The meanders Joey and BF take make it a nice bendy contrast.
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  08:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked Talent a lot at first, got bored with it, now absolutely love it (bar the opening line). Anyone else think the spoken "I don't know" sounds dropped in from a young Black Francis?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  10:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

I liked Talent a lot at first, got bored with it, now absolutely love it (bar the opening line). Anyone else think the spoken "I don't know" sounds dropped in from a young Black Francis?

I love it too now. And I do like that part as well. I don't know if it sounds like young BF but I appreciate any moments like that where BF strays from the pattern and adds to the basic track vocally. Wish there was more.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  05:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony Hawk IG account today has a rad video of skating to Talent
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page