New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  23:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my point after having watched the Vault of Heaven video:
When they came back in 2013, the Bagboy video was daring along with the Magdalena one and even the cartoon for ATITO but since they released the video of Ring The Bell they definitely lost it. From that point it was a non stop release of ambarassing productions with Human Crime culminating.
I ask myself why. WHY?

++++

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2022 :  23:22:56  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I kind of like the video for Human Crime. I found it kind of painful and touching.

I hate the video for Vault of Heaven.

My general thing with the bands I love, if they aren't in the video, I'm not interested. I wanna see the guys making a fool of themselves in front of a camera. Otherwise it's basically a fan film.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  14:47:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't Watch Videos people!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  00:16:37  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

What else are we supposed to do with them?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2965 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  02:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven’t seen any 2.0 videos except Bagboy. Should I watch them?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  02:28:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

They're all pants apart from Human Crime - which isnae too bad
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  04:39:15  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

No

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  04:44:01  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

What else are we supposed to do with them?

Ignore them

Video's meant something in the 80s and 90s

(Old man post)

The only reason to watch them is to watch band members
Pixies video's don't tend to involve the band

Paz is a producer and director of some of them
I like her, so I Watch the video's like I would if a friend made them

I like her, so

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  05:27:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like Paz too - she is nice

"The Video" has taken a lot of slack over the years, and i think this is largely down to the fact unfortunately most that are produced tend to be complete dross, and what's worse they often detract from the song such that a lot of the song's best features are obscured or portrayed badly

It seems to have become a standard that Singles get Videos so all the ones of the album that get picked must have a video, and most of the time no one has any interesting ideas for one so they end coming out with all sorts of crap

It's like when I'm creating some kind of digital design I love it if I can think of a great title for it and it evolves out of the process somehow, but if I can't think of anything I'll just leave it untitled. Otherwise I might risk picking some crap title that then gives the audience preconceived ideas of what it might be about which might have no affinity with the design

Pixies used to do good videos in the old days, and they were simple - I think some bands spend way too much money producing slick videos for their new albums but often (not always) all it does with me is put me off the song

I disagree that having the band members in the video is a must though - I'm sure I can think of loads of examples of great videos that don't feature the band in them..

I like Music Videos - it's just a very difficult format to get right - because it's creating art for art I suppose; it has to be directed by the song in some way
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  07:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The only reason to watch them is to watch band members

The video of On Graveyard Hill features band members but is really embarassing, isn't it?
Alec Eiffel was my favorite featuring the band.

About Paz, I think she's a great bass player but in terms of video production I don't notice anything special in my humble subjective opinion. Maybe she's a good cook...

Edited by - Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo on 08/14/2022 07:25:40
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  08:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
The video of On Graveyard Hill features band members but is really embarassing, isn't it?

Again, this is the only reason to watch music videos. To watch your favorite band doing something silly and embarrassing. I highly recommend the video for On Graveyard Hill. It's nice when the band you like manages to get out of bed and work on something and not just hire other people to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  07:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't tend to watch music videos, but I thought the animated Catfish Kate one was very well done.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  09:03:12  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I don't tend to watch music videos, but I thought the animated Catfish Kate one was very well done.

Yeah, it fits the music nicely

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2022 :  06:48:42  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I also think, come to think of it, that the Paz-directed Long Rider-video is pretty good

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2022 :  12:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See you in ten years

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2022 :  00:25:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

See you in ten years

___
"Service Unavailable"

wut?

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2022 :  02:15:27  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If he has invented a time machine then we may never find out the answer to this mystery for another ten years..
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2022 :  03:45:28  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe videos will be good in ten years

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000