Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  04:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olá Cassandra! Falas português? É tão difícil encontrar alguem a falar português no forum...
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  04:39:59  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
um pouco, os meus pais são portugueses, então é a minha segunda língua materna... onde é que vives em Portugal?

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  09:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vivo próximo do Porto, Penafiel. E a tua família de onde é?

Sorry the others for this strange language! But it´s very good to meet other people that talk portuguese in this forum!
Go to Top of Page

Surfer Rosa
> Teenager of the Year <

4209 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  10:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Surfer Rosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Loved the album when it first came out but now am thoroughly bored with it. I think Radio One and media hype killed them for me. They're good and the album is probably one of the better ones of this year - however they're not in even the same league as my beloved Pixies.
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  10:14:34  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
os meus pais viviam ao lado de Guarda - Marialva e Coriscada - mas emigraram no fim dos anos 60
agora vivemos ao lado de Toulouse -Cahors.

Go to Top of Page

pudmeister
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  13:17:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bollocks! frans ferdi suck ass, saw them live, nothing cool about it. Not much substance behind the songs, just popular cos its a bit different and cos theyre est. in the UK and the UK press plug way too much and trick you into thinking crappy bands are good.

"Looking through the eye of a pig I see it all" - Cypress Hill
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  14:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
remind me of pulp and the divine comedy, I'm not expaniding on that, effort

the room smelled like cupids gym
Go to Top of Page

an erotic vulture
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  14:37:11  Show Profile  Click to see an erotic vulture's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I dont know about FF, they seem an okay band, but nothing about them really stands out to me :s But i do agree with pudmeister in the sense that the have only done so well because they are a bit different.

I reserve judgement.

(stage direction: suspenseful point)

Edited by - an erotic vulture on 09/14/2004 14:39:06
Go to Top of Page

MrSelfDestruct
- FB Fan -

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  14:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FF are a good band...just arent as unique and ground breaking as the pixies are. now the band that was opening for them in europe "The Fiery Furnaces". That band is amazing and some very unique music. their new album is awesome. but i dont think FF sound like the pixies really.
Go to Top of Page

charlesthompson
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
188 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  12:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well....no one seems to agree with me :(

oh well...i still think the shirt thing is similar (but i agree that they are more poser-ish)
and the lead in micheal definately reminds me of joeys work..
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  05:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They write good songs, I think.

I'm sceptical of bands who really go for that 'retro' sound, like pretty much anything new the NME praises. But FF don't seem to be using that as their selling point, which is cool.
Go to Top of Page

the tolerant
= Cult of Ray =

298 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  05:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i've seen them interviewed, they seem pretty genuine guys, and in it for the love. they dont hype themselves and twist no ones arm, and i must admit when i first heard take me out i though damn good shit! think it was the beginning of the song and then when it kicks in to the riff....go scotland. but its just other songs that let me down a little but they're not here to please me so good luck to 'em. there seems to be varied opinion on them here.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  15:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and the dude has fabulous hair

the room smelled like cupids gym
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  16:10:29  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well... i wouldn't say that

Go to Top of Page

rhinedly
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  17:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as good as the pixies? HAH - let them release a couple earthshattering albums and then I'll consider that one..

right now they're in their infancy.

but their first album is incredibly strong. people making fun of it...are stupid.

take me out, michael, auf achse, shopping for blood, come on home, this fire, darts of pleasure, and 40' are all superbly written, enjoyable, catchy, fun songs.

jacqueline, dark of the matinee, and cheating on you are all really good.

i saw them in concert. they're fun, they rock, the play for love.

maybe you guys are offended because their being compared to the pixies? jesus, you can't compare every new hip band to the pixies. i mean seriously, i can't think of anything the pixies and franz have in common to base starting a topic comparing the two of them on. i think the only reason this topic has gotten so large is so people can argue about the velvet underground and speak portugese.

i'm wicked excited for franz's new cd. i don't know if they're gonna try to change their sound or just go with more of the same - either way i bet it'll be good.

and another thing - no one can be that negatively judgemental of a band after only their first cd has been released. if everyone did that what would people have to say about radiohead. or wilco. or my bloody valentine. in summary stfu ff rox
Go to Top of Page

the tolerant
= Cult of Ray =

298 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  02:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no doubt there next release will be on the sme lines as their last. the Beatles they are not.

and Radioheads Pablo Honey was pretty damn cool. i'd rather listen to "anyone can play guitar" than "Michael".
Go to Top of Page

The Sad Punk
- FB Fan -

Brazil
17 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  10:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What? Wake up! Pixies are Pixies! and... uh? whats the name of the other band you WERE talking about?

The Sad Punk

I smell smoke that comes from a 12 gauge PUMP shotgun named extintion.

Edited by - The Sad Punk on 09/17/2004 10:53:46
Go to Top of Page

charlesthompson
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
188 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  10:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will you stop jump down my back and saying i suck for comparing two bands i like...i think inside the music they sound similar but if you dont agree with me fine...either say it in a nice way or dont bother posting..
Go to Top of Page

the tolerant
= Cult of Ray =

298 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  14:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charlesthompson

will you stop jump down my back and saying i suck for comparing two bands i like...i think inside the music they sound similar but if you dont agree with me fine...either say it in a nice way or dont bother posting..

well said!

but i must agree with the Punk, sorry, the sad Punk, Pixies are Pixies. I did have my doubts a while back there, but they've now been blown away.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  14:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they were playing the Franz Ferdinand album at this place i had breakfast on Sunday.

once again, i found the album to be bland and unnotable. unlike my breakfast.

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  14:39:10  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its always about the food with you, isn't it?

Good man.

So, I finally got my X-Wing
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  14:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was just giving you context

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Sexi Pi
- FB Fan -

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  09:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Sexi Pi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would say if any band today sounds closest to the Pixies it's British Sea Power (who I absolutely adore). This forum is actually where I found out about the actually.

Listen to the song "Apologies to Insect Life", it could fit right on Surfer Rosa. Of course don't jump so quick to say they are a rip off, cause other songs like "Carrion" and "Remember Me" are nothing like it, but unbelieveable just the same.

http://www.britishseapower.co.uk

check em out and lemme know what you think.

btw- i'm not like a promoter or anything, but I want them to be popular here so they can come back and play again. I missed them at T T the Bear's by 2 friggin' days last year! :)
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  15:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sexi Pi, I remember that somebody on here once posted that they thought Apologies To Insect Life was just like it had come off Surfer Rosa, and I agreed with them 'cos I had thought that since I heard it. That was a long time ago now, funny you should say exactly the same thing. Just goes to show how much it does sound like them during that period though.

Incidently, they were amazing at Reading Festival this year (the best band along with 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster). I am going to see them livein Manchester soon too, can't wait.

Help me! He keeps making me post!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000