Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  19:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone host about 18.5 MB of mp3s for others to download from?

I've uploaded what's purported to be a set of pre-Purple Tape 1986 demos to my web space, but the bandwidth would kill my site. I'm hoping someone can offer to host these for others to access, at least for long enough that they can get onto the P2P networks (I'm still on dialup here!).

I'd prefer someone who's been here a while and has a reputation to protect, so they can't just leech them and disappear! I'll basically send a link to the files.

Here's a little readme file I added to it...

quote:

Pixies -- '1986 demos'.

What's this?

I received this stuff (8 songs) at the start of a cassette copy of the Purple Tape, long before its commercial release (like, maybe 10 years ago). It was listed as '1986 demos', but I've no idea if this is true -- the songs do sound earlier than the Purple Tape/Come on Pilgrim versions, and the recording doesn't sound like a radio session to me (could still be). Your guess is as good as mine...

The speed may be slightly wrong (too fast?) although a quick check suggests they're roughly the same pitch as the later recordings...

I haven't ever seen these listed anywhere else -- not even here: http://www.pixieslive.com/8687.htm !

1. Build High
-- a little more 'hoe-down' sounding.

2. Down to the Well
-- same as ever really.

3. Here Comes Your Man
-- slow and almost country-sounding.

4. Ed is Dead
-- check the Jerry Lee Lewis piano.

5. Brick is Red
-- extra first verse: "Brick is red/And Hitler's dead/Hang me/The earth's not round/It's shaped like an egg/Hang me".

6. Weird at my School
-- psychedelic ending and odd phrasing on chorus.

7. Rock a My Soul
-- much the same as the Purple Tape version.

8. I'm Amazed
-- with the 'all broke hearts' bit.

'DruggedBunny'

--
"Nothing to do about it..."

chineselover
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
348 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  02:27:33  Show Profile  Visit chineselover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'll put it on my webspace no probs, if you like. pixiesdemos@yahoo.ie

Edited by - chineselover on 10/10/2004 17:56:30
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  05:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://dag.wieers.com/debaser/bootlegs/comeonp2.php

"I joined the Cult of this guy / 'cause they took my other picture away
Go to Top of Page

SelfEscape
- FB Fan -

83 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  13:25:53  Show Profile  Visit SelfEscape's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh my, someone please put this up somewhere, sounds really cool.

http://selfescape.hearusplay.com/
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  15:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just emailed the link to ChineseLover, so it'll be over to him soon!

--
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  16:16:14  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it's safe to say that I'm very excited to hear these.
Go to Top of Page

chineselover
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
348 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  10:24:10  Show Profile  Visit chineselover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i got the link druggedbunny - downloading it now, and will post the link when there ready - power failure here all day, so this is the first chance i've had. my webspace is typical ISP space, so will prob run into webspace problems but we'll see how it goes...
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  12:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you get my email chineselover?
Just didn't know how happy Mr.Noisy would be about you posting the link on the forum...

Edited by - ShakeyShake on 09/10/2004 14:42:49
Go to Top of Page

chineselover
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
348 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  14:53:42  Show Profile  Visit chineselover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Didn't get your email ShakeyShake, but i understand what you mean. Anybody who wants the link can email me at pixiesdemos@yahoo.ie .

and by the way, i'm just hosting them, haven't even got round to listening to them yet myself!! so i don't know anything about them, so read the readme by Druggedbunny (the source) above.

Edited by - chineselover on 10/10/2004 17:58:08
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  18:08:42  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So are these somewhere where they can be listened to? Do I need to email somebody?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  10:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always nice to see people sharing and helping each other out! Well done!
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  13:28:32  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Exactly. There's so much that I wouldn't have heard or seen if it weren't for this forum and the handy folks that frequent it. Kudos!
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  13:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah cheers muchos for sharing,I couldn't help noticing they were a bit lo-fi(can't be helped on almost 20 year old tapes i suppose) and I'm just on cleaning them up a bit,I'll upload them somewhere if anyone's interested and can provide me with somewhere to get free web space...

Go to Top of Page

chineselover
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
348 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  15:18:52  Show Profile  Visit chineselover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, when you have worked on, you can get them back to me if you like, and i'll just replace the ones that i have up with them..
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  14:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they are slightly 'dulled', but well worth it I think. I'll be interested in hearing the cleaned-up versions though!

--
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  14:21:44  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
isn't this material for FBF?

"I joined the Cult of Serge the Russian/Because he invented indierock before Frank did"
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  14:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey chineselover,I've got them sorted,if you've got msn then u can add me and i'll send u them over that,cant send them by email cos hotmails got a 1mb restriction on attachments.Roughly 22mb but im still on dial up so may take a couple of hours

Edited by - ShakeyShake on 09/10/2004 14:43:38
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  14:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theyre still fairly low quality but ive done the best I can,the vocals cleaned up quite well,i've got rid of that low hum thing,bass is still a slight off but very much listenable to

Go to Top of Page

chineselover
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
348 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  17:09:45  Show Profile  Visit chineselover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i know the trials of dial-up ShakeyShake, only recently got broadband. the msn-ing might be a bit hard to co-ordinate?? but i was looking at yahoo, and they allow up to 10MB's in attachments, so you might be able to set up a free account with them? let me know what you think...
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  11:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, I believe that's the solo "sing for your supper" demos he did with Gary Smith, pre-Pilgrim.

--
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  12:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I headed over to yahoo and reactivated an old account,theyre just on their way now

Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  13:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No apparently theyre not,spent a while attatching them and then they finish yahoo decides that my sessions expired.Wankers

Go to Top of Page

chineselover
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
348 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  17:27:35  Show Profile  Visit chineselover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i don't know if this is more trouble than its worth but you could download a small splitter joiner program like HJ Split, which only takes a minute to download, then you could split the files into half MB parts and send them that way...
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  10:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got something like that anyway,I'll just try sending them seperately,I tried sending a 10mb zip file last time

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  11:23:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DruggedBunny

quote:

No, I believe that's the solo "sing for your supper" demos he did with Gary Smith, pre-Pilgrim.

--

ohh sing for your supper
I want those too
I heard two of them and they are great
for diehard fans
nice

"I joined the Cult of Serge/'Cause he invented indierock before Frank did"
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  14:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All sent,every last one

Go to Top of Page

chineselover
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
348 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  15:04:02  Show Profile  Visit chineselover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, the link for the cleaned up ones (from shakeyshake) is the same as the last time for those of you that have it. others email me at pixiesdemos@yahoo.ie .

Edited by - chineselover on 10/10/2004 17:55:51
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  14:16:49  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks a bunch. Listening to them now. I really like this version of Here Comes Your Man. Can't wait to hear the rest. You guys rock.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  15:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The link to the tracks was most appreciated.

Nice job on the cleanup. I'm struck by the strange way in which the rough vibe of these tracks seems on par with the feel of "Bam Thwok" and the Zevon cover.

They all share a certain "aw, fuck it" thing that is hard to describe, but which could neatly be summed up by the word "demo."

I can't help but feel that where the Pixies really shined in the studio was on the tracks that they had really labored over and honed until everything was exactly where it should have been. No wasted space, no ambiguous parts present just for the sake of parts.

That's really hard for most bands to do, and I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the initial work ethic they put themselves through upon formation.

I don't know if that same ethic exists at this stage in their reunion, but I hope if and when they finally do a record, that Frank allows himself to get back into that head, and away from his Catholics persona. To me, they're totally different ways of working (and I don't just mean the whole live-to-2-track thing), and I wouldn't want to hear "Pixies music" played or recorded without a "Pixies trip," if you know what I mean.

These tracks and the two latest studio recordings to surface sound essentially rushed and perfunctory. I still like them and they're fun to listen to, but when people keep mentioning that the new material doesn't really sound "like the Pixies," they keep latching onto the fact that Kim is singing lead.

I don't think that's it at all. If there's anything about them that makes them sound even partially spurious, it's the relative lack of preparation compared to their previous official output.

Anyhoo, I'm digging these early versions quite a lot and I say a hearty thank you to all concerned.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Tony Watson
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  16:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in hearing these as well. Am I missing something or was a link not posted in this thread?
Go to Top of Page

lard
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  11:30:13  Show Profile  Visit lard's Homepage  Click to see lard's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
email me at lard@baileyswalk.com , i'll download them from youre link, and i'll upload them at Baileys walk (I'm an Admin from there)

chineselover
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
348 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  12:19:39  Show Profile  Visit chineselover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Watson

I'm interested in hearing these as well. Am I missing something or was a link not posted in this thread?

quote:
Originally posted by lard

email me at lard@baileyswalk.com , i'll download them from youre link, and i'll upload them at Baileys walk (I'm an Admin from there)

maybe i'm missing something here?? but if you read my last post above, it tells you exactly how to get the files for anybody that wants them.

Edited by - chineselover on 08/29/2004 12:21:45
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  14:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, are we absolutely positive this isn't material for FBF? If so, then I will host them for the time being with the tribute albums on the Asterid FTP.

"When 5000 posts you reach / Look as good you will not, hmmm?"
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  10:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK, are we absolutely positive this isn't material for FBF?

I hadn't even considered this, but I don't think it is -- just about everywhere reports that FBF is pre-Pixies solo demos. If it was part of FBF it would be a very bad idea to host it publicly, obviously (even though any official release would doubtless be 100x preferable in terms of sound quality!).

--
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  10:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked my old tapes, and i have the same tape - purple tapes + 1986 demos. Maybe we got them from the same trader. I wondered how i (we?) forgot about them for so long? Anyway, according to an old rock a my soul article (which is, by the way, available online here: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Bistro/7063/), they are genuine pre-purple tape demos: here's the text:

"PIXIES 1986 DEMO
Build High / Down to the Well / Here Comes Your Man / Ed is Dead / Brick is Red / Weird at My School / Rock a My Soul / I'm Amazed

Like The Purple Tape, Rock a My Soul is the only song never to appear officially on record, except for Sounds Waves EP3. With Build High being the latest from both sessions to see light of day.

The only stand-out tracks here are an almost countryish Here Comes Your Man and a Jerry Lee Lewis style piano-backed Ed is Dead. The other tracks sound much as they appeared on album or b-side - except for I'm Amazed which has Black singing distorted and a bridge bit that Albini edited from the Surfer Rosa version, which goes "All broke parts, we'll all mend all broke parts." Incidentally, this bit is not edited from the song when performed live.

On the subject of editing songs, did you know that Distance Equals Rate Times Time from Trompe Le Monde is the bridge bit from the original version of Subbacultcha? Of course there are new words, but was it Charles' or Gil's idea?

Reprinted from Rock a My Soul #3"

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2004 :  12:50:27  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I very like Ed is Dead with the piano
I wonder who played it

"I joined the Cult of Serge/'Cause he invented indierock before Frank did"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000