-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 1986 demos

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DruggedBunny Posted - 08/20/2004 : 19:09:26
Can anyone host about 18.5 MB of mp3s for others to download from?

I've uploaded what's purported to be a set of pre-Purple Tape 1986 demos to my web space, but the bandwidth would kill my site. I'm hoping someone can offer to host these for others to access, at least for long enough that they can get onto the P2P networks (I'm still on dialup here!).

I'd prefer someone who's been here a while and has a reputation to protect, so they can't just leech them and disappear! I'll basically send a link to the files.

Here's a little readme file I added to it...

quote:

Pixies -- '1986 demos'.

What's this?

I received this stuff (8 songs) at the start of a cassette copy of the Purple Tape, long before its commercial release (like, maybe 10 years ago). It was listed as '1986 demos', but I've no idea if this is true -- the songs do sound earlier than the Purple Tape/Come on Pilgrim versions, and the recording doesn't sound like a radio session to me (could still be). Your guess is as good as mine...

The speed may be slightly wrong (too fast?) although a quick check suggests they're roughly the same pitch as the later recordings...

I haven't ever seen these listed anywhere else -- not even here: http://www.pixieslive.com/8687.htm !

1. Build High
-- a little more 'hoe-down' sounding.

2. Down to the Well
-- same as ever really.

3. Here Comes Your Man
-- slow and almost country-sounding.

4. Ed is Dead
-- check the Jerry Lee Lewis piano.

5. Brick is Red
-- extra first verse: "Brick is red/And Hitler's dead/Hang me/The earth's not round/It's shaped like an egg/Hang me".

6. Weird at my School
-- psychedelic ending and odd phrasing on chorus.

7. Rock a My Soul
-- much the same as the Purple Tape version.

8. I'm Amazed
-- with the 'all broke hearts' bit.

'DruggedBunny'

--
"Nothing to do about it..."
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
billgoodman Posted - 11/08/2004 : 07:22:50
www.baileyswalk.com

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Doog Posted - 11/08/2004 : 06:34:01
Can someone point me in the direction of them demos? I'm not having much luck :(

"Join the cult of Ray/He was the best Ghostbuster"
www.doog.tk
billgoodman Posted - 10/29/2004 : 09:09:29
It's not with Gil Norten but with Gary Smith, producer of Come On Pilgrim/Purple Tape

you can purchase these solo demos
they are the first disc of Frank Black Francis
which came out on Cooking Vinyl in Europe

if you can't find it in the shops":
www.cookingvinyl.com

coen Posted - 10/29/2004 : 07:31:39
So how could I get Frank's solo demos with Gil Norton, that Sing For Your Supper thing?
Please, give us a link for downloading or whatever, thanks.

La Máquina de Huesos
billgoodman Posted - 10/29/2004 : 04:54:38
it's one baileyswalk.com

dentaku Posted - 10/29/2004 : 03:37:36
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

ohh I found them already

Could you share the link?

Thanks
billgoodman Posted - 10/29/2004 : 02:52:49
ohh I found them already

billgoodman Posted - 10/29/2004 : 02:52:12
Ok I lost these demos in a computer crash
where can I find them now?

n/a Posted - 10/28/2004 : 14:16:47
chineselover, IŽve just sent you a email...IŽll be waiting.

...The majority of people are just like, `Play the monkey song!'
brickisred Posted - 10/26/2004 : 17:23:41

The versions for Down To The Well and Rock A My Soul are those featured on the French promo CD called "Rare Pixies".
xadrez Posted - 10/04/2004 : 17:37:18
what a timing
chineselover Posted - 10/04/2004 : 13:27:26
coincidentally back up again now
xadrez Posted - 10/03/2004 : 19:37:19
when the mp3 files from Pixies Pre-Purple Tape 1986 Demos will be on the site again?
DruggedBunny Posted - 08/31/2004 : 15:06:50
Ivan: I ordered my copy via Rock-a My Soul, not sure who from, and I had that issue. I thought for years it was "all broke parts" because of that, but of course it's "all broke hearts"...

My tape had (well, has), in order -- 1986 demos and the Purple Tape, followed by a mixture of radio sessions and the odd demo.

I never really forgot about them, I just never got around to recording the tape onto the PC until recently!

--
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/31/2004 : 11:49:48
I have just heard them now (thanks again for that Chineselover) and boy does Frank's voice sound different , especially on Down To The Well, I thought it was just a cover at first. Very cool to hear though.

Live every day as if it were your last. Eventually you'll be right

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/31/2004 : 08:17:14
Chineselover, I have emailed you for them.

Live every day as if it were your last. Eventually you'll be right

billgoodman Posted - 08/30/2004 : 12:50:27
I very like Ed is Dead with the piano
I wonder who played it

"I joined the Cult of Serge/'Cause he invented indierock before Frank did"
ivandivel Posted - 08/30/2004 : 10:41:02
I just checked my old tapes, and i have the same tape - purple tapes + 1986 demos. Maybe we got them from the same trader. I wondered how i (we?) forgot about them for so long? Anyway, according to an old rock a my soul article (which is, by the way, available online here: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Bistro/7063/), they are genuine pre-purple tape demos: here's the text:

"PIXIES 1986 DEMO
Build High / Down to the Well / Here Comes Your Man / Ed is Dead / Brick is Red / Weird at My School / Rock a My Soul / I'm Amazed

Like The Purple Tape, Rock a My Soul is the only song never to appear officially on record, except for Sounds Waves EP3. With Build High being the latest from both sessions to see light of day.

The only stand-out tracks here are an almost countryish Here Comes Your Man and a Jerry Lee Lewis style piano-backed Ed is Dead. The other tracks sound much as they appeared on album or b-side - except for I'm Amazed which has Black singing distorted and a bridge bit that Albini edited from the Surfer Rosa version, which goes "All broke parts, we'll all mend all broke parts." Incidentally, this bit is not edited from the song when performed live.

On the subject of editing songs, did you know that Distance Equals Rate Times Time from Trompe Le Monde is the bridge bit from the original version of Subbacultcha? Of course there are new words, but was it Charles' or Gil's idea?

Reprinted from Rock a My Soul #3"

DruggedBunny Posted - 08/30/2004 : 10:07:12
quote:

OK, are we absolutely positive this isn't material for FBF?

I hadn't even considered this, but I don't think it is -- just about everywhere reports that FBF is pre-Pixies solo demos. If it was part of FBF it would be a very bad idea to host it publicly, obviously (even though any official release would doubtless be 100x preferable in terms of sound quality!).

--
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/29/2004 : 14:13:11
OK, are we absolutely positive this isn't material for FBF? If so, then I will host them for the time being with the tribute albums on the Asterid FTP.

"When 5000 posts you reach / Look as good you will not, hmmm?"
chineselover Posted - 08/29/2004 : 12:19:39
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Watson

I'm interested in hearing these as well. Am I missing something or was a link not posted in this thread?

quote:
Originally posted by lard

email me at lard@baileyswalk.com , i'll download them from youre link, and i'll upload them at Baileys walk (I'm an Admin from there)

maybe i'm missing something here?? but if you read my last post above, it tells you exactly how to get the files for anybody that wants them.
lard Posted - 08/29/2004 : 11:30:13
email me at lard@baileyswalk.com , i'll download them from youre link, and i'll upload them at Baileys walk (I'm an Admin from there)

Tony Watson Posted - 08/28/2004 : 16:45:16
I'm interested in hearing these as well. Am I missing something or was a link not posted in this thread?
peter radiator Posted - 08/28/2004 : 15:03:50
The link to the tracks was most appreciated.

Nice job on the cleanup. I'm struck by the strange way in which the rough vibe of these tracks seems on par with the feel of "Bam Thwok" and the Zevon cover.

They all share a certain "aw, fuck it" thing that is hard to describe, but which could neatly be summed up by the word "demo."

I can't help but feel that where the Pixies really shined in the studio was on the tracks that they had really labored over and honed until everything was exactly where it should have been. No wasted space, no ambiguous parts present just for the sake of parts.

That's really hard for most bands to do, and I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the initial work ethic they put themselves through upon formation.

I don't know if that same ethic exists at this stage in their reunion, but I hope if and when they finally do a record, that Frank allows himself to get back into that head, and away from his Catholics persona. To me, they're totally different ways of working (and I don't just mean the whole live-to-2-track thing), and I wouldn't want to hear "Pixies music" played or recorded without a "Pixies trip," if you know what I mean.

These tracks and the two latest studio recordings to surface sound essentially rushed and perfunctory. I still like them and they're fun to listen to, but when people keep mentioning that the new material doesn't really sound "like the Pixies," they keep latching onto the fact that Kim is singing lead.

I don't think that's it at all. If there's anything about them that makes them sound even partially spurious, it's the relative lack of preparation compared to their previous official output.

Anyhoo, I'm digging these early versions quite a lot and I say a hearty thank you to all concerned.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
prozacrat Posted - 08/28/2004 : 14:16:49
Thanks a bunch. Listening to them now. I really like this version of Here Comes Your Man. Can't wait to hear the rest. You guys rock.
chineselover Posted - 08/27/2004 : 15:04:02
Ok, the link for the cleaned up ones (from shakeyshake) is the same as the last time for those of you that have it. others email me at pixiesdemos@yahoo.ie .
ShakeyShake Posted - 08/27/2004 : 14:33:09
All sent,every last one

"I joined the Cult of this guy / 'cause they took my other picture away
billgoodman Posted - 08/27/2004 : 11:23:54
quote:
Originally posted by DruggedBunny

quote:

isn't this material for FBF?

No, I believe that's the solo "sing for your supper" demos he did with Gary Smith, pre-Pilgrim.

--

ohh sing for your supper
I want those too
I heard two of them and they are great
for diehard fans
nice

"I joined the Cult of Serge/'Cause he invented indierock before Frank did"
ShakeyShake Posted - 08/27/2004 : 10:34:44
I've got something like that anyway,I'll just try sending them seperately,I tried sending a 10mb zip file last time

chineselover Posted - 08/26/2004 : 17:27:35
i don't know if this is more trouble than its worth but you could download a small splitter joiner program like HJ Split, which only takes a minute to download, then you could split the files into half MB parts and send them that way...
ShakeyShake Posted - 08/26/2004 : 13:58:00
No apparently theyre not,spent a while attatching them and then they finish yahoo decides that my sessions expired.Wankers

ShakeyShake Posted - 08/26/2004 : 12:58:19
I headed over to yahoo and reactivated an old account,theyre just on their way now

DruggedBunny Posted - 08/26/2004 : 11:27:19
quote:

isn't this material for FBF?

No, I believe that's the solo "sing for your supper" demos he did with Gary Smith, pre-Pilgrim.

--
chineselover Posted - 08/25/2004 : 17:09:45
i know the trials of dial-up ShakeyShake, only recently got broadband. the msn-ing might be a bit hard to co-ordinate?? but i was looking at yahoo, and they allow up to 10MB's in attachments, so you might be able to set up a free account with them? let me know what you think...
ShakeyShake Posted - 08/25/2004 : 14:46:26
Theyre still fairly low quality but ive done the best I can,the vocals cleaned up quite well,i've got rid of that low hum thing,bass is still a slight off but very much listenable to

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000