Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 what the F do you think Skeleton Man is about?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  19:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

who's the child that was born 800 years ago?

and what's up with Dr. Digger and that room full of arms he found?

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  20:45:22  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Frank an archaeology student at one point? I think the song kind of makes sense if you see it as being about archaeology. Dr. Digger would be an archaeologist, and he dug up a lot of old skeletons.

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  23:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
uh, I'll do some research, but I am pretty sure it's about a dead guy.

Floops quesedillas zijn te vergelijken met het likken van fatsige Albert's aars nadat hij een fles laxeermiddel heeft leeggedronkenhehehahhahehehaha
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  23:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's about a dig somewhere in California, I think. I don't remember all the details, but I do seem to remember it being in a valley or something...

That said, I could be on crack.

"When 5000 posts you reach / Look as good you will not, hmmm?"
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  23:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought it had something to do with Archeology... as for the specefics, I'll do my research as I wrote, all kidding aside.

We'll combind forces and figure it out... there for you Floop-master.

Somone get Charles on the line... perferably not Lucy?

(bad charlie brown joke, I'm bold as love)

ok?

Floops quesedillas zijn te vergelijken met het likken van fatsige Albert's aars nadat hij een fles laxeermiddel heeft leeggedronkenhehehahhahehehaha
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  00:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think these lyrics are too difficult. The child born 800 years ago is just a skeleton that's been dug up. And my personal interpretation of the chorus ("I'm a skeleton man, hold my skeleton hand", etc.) is that it's playing off how someone, out on some isolated archeological dig somewhere, might get creeped out by skeleton. "It's alive, it's watching me, it's gonna move"... that sorta thing.

Edited by - Jason on 08/03/2004 00:33:02
Go to Top of Page

surferben
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  00:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it always seemed to me to be about the person that lived so long ago. how the person would feel if his bones were dug up. isn't it interesting to think of yourself as nothing more than a collection of bones that somebody hundreds of years from now dug up? when i hear this song that is the perspective i hear. didn't a number of ancient civilizations bury people with jewels and such as part of the ceremony- "and in his ribs i found a pearl, an offering from the corn world"- so maybe it is just a description of a dig that he was part of or knew about that found an ornamented skeleton of a child from some agricultural civilization that just so happened to be nearby to a trailer park or something.

and now i'm living in the cold but i'm looking for the sign
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  01:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you going to Chicago dude?

Surfer Ben, welcome to the insane world of fb.net
I am the resident peice of shit, so don't worry about yourself too much ;)

Edited by - Little Black Francis on 08/03/2004 01:16:28
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  02:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by surferben

it always seemed to me to be about the person that lived so long ago. how the person would feel if his bones were dug up. isn't it interesting to think of yourself as nothing more than a collection of bones that somebody hundreds of years from now dug up? when i hear this song that is the perspective i hear. didn't a number of ancient civilizations bury people with jewels and such as part of the ceremony- "and in his ribs i found a pearl, an offering from the corn world"- so maybe it is just a description of a dig that he was part of or knew about that found an ornamented skeleton of a child from some agricultural civilization that just so happened to be nearby to a trailer park or something.

and now i'm living in the cold but i'm looking for the sign

I like that. And I think you're right. The whole song is from the point of view of a man from the ancient world, now a skeleton that's been dug up.

And now that I think of it, the "Dr. Digger" line might be Frank referencing several different phases of history in just a few lines (a bit similar to what he does in "Calistan" ["used to be sixteen lanes, etc."]).

"Down in the valley", the skeleton man remembers that in ancient times "there used to be the farms". And then later on, that same spot became the scene of archealogical dig ("Dr. Digger found a room full of arms".) And then even further into the future (into our present probably), that exact same spot is now just some lonely stretch in the middle of nowhere where one guy lives in a trailer.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  07:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting readings.. i always figured Dr Digger was an archaeologist too, and that it was about some historical figure. i'm just wondering more who and what (if it is about anything specific, which, i'm guessing it is .. though it may not be) .. surferbens interpretations sounds good.

and jason, yeah, there are Calistan similarities. i heard that Calistan is about an archaeological guy too. but i could be off.

(LBF, i already went to Chicago .. now i'm back in reality mode and working like a mo-fo)

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!

Edited by - floop on 08/03/2004 07:20:18
Go to Top of Page

FrequencyOfGlow
- FB Fan -

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  12:11:31  Show Profile  Visit FrequencyOfGlow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's about... the worst song he has ever recorded. Possibly the only FB I ever skip entirely.

I know it's off topic, but I just had to get that off my chest.

I think the winter is going to be a real whirligig
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  12:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(I was asking Suferben if he was going to any of the Pixies shows in Chicago, not you Floop, you fucking egomanic=)

Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  13:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of fucking idiot would shit on this song?

I'm not up for ad hominems, but seriously, this is one of <i>the best</i> songs he's ever recorded.

Anyway, Frank wasn't necessarily an archaeology student, but you can't rule it out because he did study anthropology (although I think most anthropologists are either cultural anthropologists or biological anthropologists).

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

FrankfanL
- FB Fan -

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  13:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Surferben's explanation is right on! I saw a documentary about ancient civilizations who sacrificed victims to the gods to ensure good crops, etc. Archeologists found skeletal remains in the frozen areas in higher elevations, often accompanied by "offerings" such as the "pearl" in Frank's tune. And by the way, it is a GREAT song in my opinion. I'll be at one of the Chicago Pixie shows, LBF. Wish is was FB and the Catholics...

Edited by - FrankfanL on 08/04/2004 13:34:32
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  14:07:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesM

What kind of fucking idiot would shit on this song?

who's shitting on this song? i'm just wondering what people think it's about. know what i'm sayin'?

Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  15:49:40  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Somone get Charles on the line... perferably not Lucy?

Why not Linus?

Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  20:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrequencyOfGlow

I think it's about... the worst song he has ever recorded. Possibly the only FB I ever skip entirely.

I know it's off topic, but I just had to get that off my chest.

^shitting on the song

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  20:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah, i missed that.

i guess frequencyofglow won't be invited to the Skeleton Man club meeting, in HAWAII, all expenses paid, hotel/airfare/luau/private massage etc..

bummer.

Go to Top of Page

FrequencyOfGlow
- FB Fan -

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  15:02:16  Show Profile  Visit FrequencyOfGlow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll try not to cry too hard.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  15:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't act like you're not really hurt.

Go to Top of Page

FrequencyOfGlow
- FB Fan -

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  08:20:37  Show Profile  Visit FrequencyOfGlow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Of course, I'm devastated. But being a male in this macho culture, I'm putting up a impenetrable facade. Inside, I'm a shivering little boy.

When will happiness find me again?

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  10:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrequencyOfGlow

Of course, I'm devastated. But being a male in this macho culture, I'm putting up a impenetrable facade. Inside, I'm a shivering little boy.

When will happiness find me again?

i'm afraid happiness may never find you again. now that you're banned from the Skeleton Man club.

Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  21:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I did start a Skeleton Man club recently.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8882

Just the Cult of Frank / We want Honeycomb!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  16:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vaguely recall reading in some anthropology book
how archeologists found in the American Southwest
ceremonial corn near or on skeletons. Something
like that.

I have long wondered whether that's what Frank's
alluding to with the line "And in his ribs I found a pearl
an offering from the corn world."

Your thoughts, gentlemen?

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

twist
- FB Fan -

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  21:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Chuckie T. might've been in a raucous mood when he composed this one. It hasn't made it onto any of my compilations. I think it's southwestern indian mythology and imagery mixed with southwestern memories and possibly dreams with possible refences to the Beatles I Wanna Hold Your Hand. Could the room full of arms be abandoned bombs in an abandonded underground bunker in the desert? The whole pearl in the ribs thing brings to mind an overwhealmingly horrendous acid/bourbon experience I had once where I burnt up in the atmosphere and was reduced to a glowing jewel in a rib cage. On the beach. I don't do that kind of thing anymore.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  22:36:25  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I'd never thought of "arms" in that way before. In context, I think it's likely that these are the skeletal remains of the body parts, rather than weapons, but it's still an interesting idea.

Go to Top of Page

RJB
- FB Fan -

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  09:58:10  Show Profile  Visit RJB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mummy

“Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world.”
- Werner Herzog
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  10:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and with one word, rjb solves the mystery.. (or does he?)

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  10:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

Hmm, I'd never thought of "arms" in that way before. In context, I think it's likely that these are the skeletal remains of the body parts, rather than weapons, but it's still an interesting idea.

It was only when reading this thread that it finally occured to me that "arms" might mean weapons. I'd never thought about it before, though.

But I wasn't thinking about bombs. I figured arms = spears, knives... primitive things like that.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  11:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twist

I think Chuckie T. might've been in a raucous mood when he composed this one. It hasn't made it onto any of my compilations. I think it's southwestern indian mythology and imagery mixed with southwestern memories and possibly dreams with possible refences to the Beatles I Wanna Hold Your Hand. Could the room full of arms be abandoned bombs in an abandonded underground bunker in the desert? The whole pearl in the ribs thing brings to mind an overwhealmingly horrendous acid/bourbon experience I had once where I burnt up in the atmosphere and was reduced to a glowing jewel in a rib cage. On the beach. I don't do that kind of thing anymore.

Holy monkey, twist. I'm gonna be thinking about your post
all day. Fuck.

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

ginam
- FB Fan -

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2004 :  19:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I just thought the song was about mortality and the symbols of love and hope we send off with the dead. I remember putting things of rememberance in my fathers casket. I would think it's a song about how we haven't changed as people in our cerimonial beliefs. It strikes a sad note in my heart. screw the archeology theory.

And by the way, chickens are very sweet gentle creatures when not mistreated.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  11:09:01  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Couldn't it be about mortality AND archaeology?

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  22:38:57  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everything you need to know is there:

http://members.cox.net/fbsi/skeletonman.html
Go to Top of Page

ginam
- FB Fan -

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  06:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

Couldn't it be about mortality AND archaeology?

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan

Go to Top of Page

ginam
- FB Fan -

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  06:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meantto put a message in with your quote.
You are right. I belive it goes on several levels. Excuse me. It was "box of wine" talking that night.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000