Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  15:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today it all came to a head. I have decided that I just can't continue in my current employment. I really want to work in the music industry, 'cos it interests me greatly. I'm not talking about being a musical artist 'cos that's just pipe dreams with my guitar playing. Ideally, getting into A&R would be great (or something along those lines) but I realise that with no experience in the industry and at my age (27) it is going to be very difficult to achieve.

Does anyone have any useful tips, or general information on this subject? I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Pixies!?!? Pixies!?!? Don't talk to me about the Pixies!!!.........OK, talk to me about the Pixies!!!

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  15:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My advice: give it up, it'll never happen. I'm a very cheerful person.

I would say, prepare to start right at the bottom, you won't just get a job in A&R just like that. Call round some smaller labels, see if they do placement schemes or something (like Cooking Vinyl), that may be a start.

"It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous."
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  15:25:06  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cheesey's right...Don't do it. It's an evil industry to be involved in...

:EDIT: And oh my fucking God...No caps or exclamation points!

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic

Edited by - TheCroutonFuton on 06/07/2004 15:31:39
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  15:28:37  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good point Cruty... actually two good points. It really ain't as glamorous as its cracked up to be, from my limited experience.

"It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous."
Go to Top of Page

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  20:27:12  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I was in it, I really dug it. There are a lot of sleazy nose-lip-bags like everywhere else, but the ratio is better. I got out because I was dangerously close to starvation and it was nightlife or day job. You meet a lot of really cool people, learn a ton of stuff, and if you do a lot of live work you will probably get in fights with club owners who decide not to pay (if you're in booking, band management, or performing), or musicians/booking/mgmt that piss off half the crowd, break soundcheck time, or or break stuff. If you want to start part time I would recommend calling mid level local studios and seeing if they need an assistant that will work cheap to free. Run some cable, set up mics, amps, etc., make coffee and meet a ton of people in the business. That will lead you to roadie work, live sound, and who knows what else. Yeah the corporate labels can suck the soul out of anyone but there are still some spaces in between that make it worthwhile. Big caveat on the studio thing: unless you associate with a studio known for a particular kind of music, be prepared to sit through countless repititions of music you CANNOT STAND while the producer insists on "just one more" take. Even music you like can get old that way but the control room atmosphere typically alleviates the monotony. Promotions work can be fun but for some reason I found it draws the largest population of wankers in that business. Best of luck - I hope to one day rejoin the ranks myself. Come on lotto!

*festoon*
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  20:55:39  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
....If there is one thing I know for sure about life, its that you can do whatever the hell you wanna do. Give it a try and see if you like it. Wow thats vaguery at its best! Thanks Grandma. But the message rings true.

Edited by - frank_black_francis on 06/07/2004 20:56:40
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  21:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah fuck giver, dont listen to people saying ya can't do it give up, cause you will at least have some fun trying to get somewhere, and thats the point i think
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  10:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And you never know until you give it a go!!! I'm buying my guitar next month and i'm re-learning it because I want to.. do I buy a green one?

The world is not my home I'm just passing through
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  10:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah aqua green Tre.

Thanks guys. I am not in a very happy place at the moment. Life sucks!

Pixies!?!? Pixies!?!? Don't talk to me about the Pixies!!!.........OK, talk to me about the Pixies!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  10:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hate to say but thats life! It's all uppity downy and shit, but I'll keep my lows just so I can appreciate my Highs when they come

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  11:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can handle the lows, it's the boring, mindnumbing tedium inbetween the highs and lows that is really starting to depress me.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  11:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair point well presented and not one I can argue with really. I find myself almost almost in my subconscience creating disasters. I'm supposed to be going off to do a postgraduate course in september and have cleverly landed myself in too much debt to clear and a job until then that I hate in a city I detest where I don't know anyone anymore. Bring on the highs!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  11:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
changing my name to tre-who-kills-threads

Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  11:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two of my best friends have jobs I would love to have : one of them works at a record label, and the other has to read American books and decide which one should be translated...

However, I must say that they don't like their jobs at all...

And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  12:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, whilst I was performing my shit job today I realised that it wasn't just my job that was making me unhappy at all, it's my loneliness. I need someone to get through this crazy world with.

Pah, the grass is always greener!

Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  13:09:02  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Before, when guys were feeling depressed, they would join the army or the navy.

Ah, those were the days!

ps : the Queen's old Army makes a man of you!

And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.

Edited by - Adnan_le_Terrible on 06/08/2004 13:10:23
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  13:18:26  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do something daring HPM! Don't be sad and lonely. There is still a chance to join the Tiger Lillies, and learn applied quantum physics in your free time and then experiment with pylons every night at 3 AM!

http://tigerlillies.com/2003/index.php

If the only tool you have is an elbow macaroni,
all your problems look like Schroedinger's cat.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  13:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erm I didn't mean lonely as in no friends. I have plenty of those, the best ones too.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  13:26:08  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I realized that, was just trying to cheer you up gloomy gus -nevermind.

If the only tool you have is an elbow macaroni,
all your problems look like Schroedinger's cat.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  13:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I know you were and I appreciate it. I am not actually down RIGHT now though, I feel OK at the mo 'cos I just got out of the shower. It's just in general, my life needs more.

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  13:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, maybe I should keep getting in and out of showers!

Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  13:43:53  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cold showers.

Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  13:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey cool. I'm 27 too. That's my general information on this subject.

However, go for the musician part of it. You'll be a rock star in no time. If the White Stripes can make it big...so can you.

1. I am a fsh with no i's.
2. You must be wearing Zubaz, 'cause you're daring to be different.
3. I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  14:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't play guitar as well as Jack though. I just think that maybe I missed the boat on that one.

Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  14:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I was saying you're probably a better musician than any of the White Stripes are...so if they can make it, most assuredly you can too. All in all it was a slam against the White Stripes, whom I don't like.

1. I am a fsh with no i's.
2. You must be wearing Zubaz, 'cause you're daring to be different.
3. I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  14:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me assure you, Jack is a very good guitarist. I have seen him live a few times and he is very good. IMO anyway. Meg is an average drummer, to say the least.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think from what I can gather meg's appeal lies in her drumming skills... saw them in liverpool and the lads I was with were more interested in her "cracking pair"

And given that she can't sing for shit either I don't think they mean her lungs..

ahem

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They looked like standard drumsticks to me.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, you're actually wrong there, they are drumsticks of power that make meg jiggle in ways that I do not understand.. well did not notice until it was pointed out to me by my drooling compadres

men. tch!

tre-who-kills-threads
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You think the girls are admiring his guiatr skills? They are looking at his crotch. He is renowned for his tight trousers and the snake that lurks within.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's funny because it's true. But if he will wave that thing around!!! It's not my fault if the eye is drawn. They are a dirty band... dirty dirty sluts the pair of them

tre-who-kills-threads
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dirty as you like!

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Sluts.

There was no excuse for that. Sorry.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  16:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh god I'm doing it! look! I'm killing threads left right and centre! I'm on one crazy thread killing spree now! lock up your threads, tre is in the building!

tre-who-kills-threads
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  17:02:56  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Big caveat on the studio thing: unless you associate with a studio known for a particular kind of music, be prepared to sit through countless repititions of music you CANNOT STAND while the producer insists on "just one more" take.

Not if you record the Catholics! (Not that I'm implying the Catholics are music that anyone here cannot stand, just that they don't do multiple recordings of songs. Or am I wrong about that?)

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  17:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
erm. seeing as they record live, i'm sure there are times when they have to do retakes more than most bands!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000