Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  15:24:52  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the original thing I was referring to would be people barging round into people, having pretty much nothing to do with the music. Pogoing is fine by me, y'know, jumping up and down on the spot, I can sympathise with that, and even partake a little. I don't really consider it moshing.

By the way, as someone mentioned earlier, it used to be called slam dancing. Who the hell thought of calling it moshing?

"It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  16:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jumping around at gigs is great. violence is unnecessary and like the hooliganism of the gigging world. I suffered a broken septum at a mansun gig for pete's sake! MANSUN! I got punched by a drunk at the pixies as well. which sucked.

someone check this threads vital signs...

tre-who-kills-threads
Go to Top of Page

ispini tapaidh
- FB Fan -

Ireland
122 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  04:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. All this is making me consider my gig behaviour. I was pogo-ing at the FB& the C's in Vicar Street to practically everything. And singing along. I was very drunk though - had been at an after-work thing so I had started on the Wodka at 5. Kinda feel guilty now, although I'm not a big bloke so I don't think I caused too much damage.
My real problem is that when I get really pissed in a nightclub and they play anything rocky I try and start a bit of a mosh. Used to do it in Whelan's (wee rock club), and then started it in The Odeon (big trendy nightclub/bar/thing). Now I was only doing pushy-pushy moshing as opposed to slam dancing, but unfortunately other people started getting thrown out coz they reacted badly (including a couple of friends of mine).
Don't think the DJ minded - he seemed to slip in a few faster tunes, and finished with a certain Nivana song (after calls for an encore instigated by my drunken self).
So anyway, am I a twat?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  05:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had some hairy moments in the past, getting crushed and knocked around. Moshing Cliches:There's always some 10 foot guy with Doc Martins diving onto everyone's heads, a tiny little rocker girl going nuts even though she's getting mashed, and someone who looses there glasses. There was an interview with Frank around the time of COR and he recalls a Black Flag gig he went to when he was younger, where a guy("Probably as big as I am now")flattened him stage-diving!
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  08:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, at every FB concert I've been to, I've had to try to avoid that "guy" who's whipping his head around like a crazed maniac, in no rhythm whatsoever. I have to spend most of the night keeping my teeth together and mouth shut so if I get cracked in the skull, I won't bite my tongue off. It's taken some enjoyment out of every show. But I guess my desire to be up front and center for FB and deal with that behavior exceeds my desire to get out of the situation. So I guess I can't complain a whole lot about it. Yet, is it too much to ask to be able to enjoy a FB concert with my full senses rather than be distracted by such inappropriate behavior? I mean, slam dancing, extreme moshing, whatever you call it, is kind of disrespectful to The Man.

1. I am a fsh with no i's.
2. You must be wearing Zubaz, 'cause you're daring to be different.
3. I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

gracie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  09:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I often wonder whether the extreme moshers (or slam dancers) actually enjoy the music or whether its just an excuse to get pissed and aggressive. Although because the Pixies sold out so quickly they must have made an effort to get the tickets and so must like the music.

When i was too young to go to gigs i had a very romatic idea that because someone liked the music i liked, Pixies, Frank, Sonic Youth whoever, they would be cool, intelligent etc. Boy, was i disappointed when i actually started going to gigs and there were loads of pissed pricks there. Sometimes it works out, like on this board but mostly it appears not. My expectations are too high i suppose.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  10:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suppose, thinking about it, its almost as bad being completely apathetic, especially combined with drink/drugs. I've been at a couple of gigs recently (specifically M83 and Silver Mount Zion), where people just talked over it, and really couldn't have appreciated the music. Especially with SMZ, you really need to listen to appreciate, right?

"It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous."
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  11:44:24  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Calistanian

I mean, slam dancing, extreme moshing, whatever you call it, is kind of disrespectful to The Man.

I feel the opposite way Calastanian. If you were up on that stage looking out into the crowd which would you prefer, everyone going absolutely mental and really getting something out of their night, or a hall full of people standing perfectly still with their arms crossed barely whispering along to the songs? Especially at a Pixies show where the music is so damn moshable, you know? It's not like I'd mosh to Show me your tears or something.

For ten thousand years he slept, his mind feeding on the nightmares of the weak. Now he has awakened. As the night turned crimson, the fire-blade shattered and his power died. Then, the slaughter began...
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  12:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guy_nolan

quote:
Originally posted by The Calistanian

I mean, slam dancing, extreme moshing, whatever you call it, is kind of disrespectful to The Man.

I feel the opposite way Calastanian. If you were up on that stage looking out into the crowd which would you prefer, everyone going absolutely mental and really getting something out of their night, or a hall full of people standing perfectly still with their arms crossed barely whispering along to the songs? Especially at a Pixies show where the music is so damn moshable, you know? It's not like I'd mosh to Show me your tears or something.

For ten thousand years he slept, his mind feeding on the nightmares of the weak. Now he has awakened. As the night turned crimson, the fire-blade shattered and his power died. Then, the slaughter began...

I guess I would choose something in between those two choices, which is where optimum appreciation for the music and song-crafting lies.

3. I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  12:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being in a band myself, over the years I've enjoyed watching crowd reactions to songs. I dig it when people are out there having a great time dancing, as it is a natural rhythmic thing to do to music. I also really dig the people that are standing off to the side just watching and tapping their toes or bobbing their heads or whatever. I know they're really keyed in on the music and how it's performed. I've never had anybody extreme mosh at one of our gigs, but if they did, I would think it's kind of cool that he's trying to do that, but then I would think that he's being really stupid because it doesn't make any sense. Especially since I play in a polka band....just kidding.
Seriously though, the people that are intently watching, taking in everything, I appreciate the most.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  14:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats cool. I have no problem with people dancing. I think one of the coolest crowd reactions I have seen was a few years ago at a punk festival in London, where about 10,000 people were skanking away to some random ska-punk band (Catch 22?). To see the whole crowd bobbing and weaving was ace.
However, my beef is with the people who forsake the main purpose of the gig (the music, duh...) just to leap around like crazy people.

Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  17:32:03  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
By the way, as someone mentioned earlier, it used to be called slam dancing. Who the hell thought of calling it moshing?

It was renamed in honor of its inventor, Charles Edward Mosh.

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Go to Top of Page

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  20:52:02  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Esquire.

*festoon*
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  02:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe... this is an interesting discussion.

Frank has actually stopped in the middle of a song to chastise people who are dancing too hard, cos they're distracting him. He said something like "You might think you're acting like my biggest fans, but think about my real fans are those down the front who you're pushing about". I hope I haven't taken that out of context.

Sure, it's great for any band to see people 'enjoying' the music, and applause and cheers no one could disagree with.

"Me and the chickens running in the street"
Go to Top of Page

mission_of_plumstead
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  06:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At brixton, I started off right down the front but moved back to enjoy the music more. It was a bit much for me as well, being a 5' 3" weakling! But still the highlight of the night for me was when head on started and everyone around just went wild....
Go to Top of Page

ispini tapaidh
- FB Fan -

Ireland
122 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  06:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread has been a really good read. I'll definitely think a bit more in future before I lose it, although I will say that when I do spazz out, I'm really not thinking about anything but the music. It just kinda takes over, y'know?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000