Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  18:09:08  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage  Reply with Quote
kill yr idols.

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders

www.transposed.net
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  07:25:00  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
somebody should ask fb his opinion on the SY. my guess is that he would reply something like "yeah, you know, a classic band but i'm not familiar with their music. when they were famous i was not interested in noise-for-the-sake-of-it kind of stuff. it was already a clichè."

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  07:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank has that cool way of just ignoring others - worse than hating them.

Frank is a classy guy.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  10:21:44  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just think its kinda funny and telling of SOMETHING that SY easily recognized Mariah Carey, Missy Elliot and the STROKES (how many factors of Pixies-influence are they away from the source?!) but not the Pixies.

Alienation confers freedom. Obscurity will keep you pure. Pray that you won’t be discovered young, so that you won’t be tempted to sell out early, or won’t be seduced by celebrity.

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  18:44:08  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ummm well considering they wrote a song about Mariah Carey on their latest album I'd think they'd recognize her. They're artsy fartsy punk rock and bratty at times it's all part of the punk rock thing in the end but they're a great group give them a break. Or don't, let them push your buttons just realize that they're most likely doing it on purpose. Whatever floats your boat.

-Johnny Thunders

www.transposed.net
Go to Top of Page

brock_disaster
- FB Fan -

43 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  18:49:54  Show Profile  Visit brock_disaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If Thurston said he doesn't know Surfer Rosa at all, how could he give an opinion stating he thinks they are 'pop-punk'? It doesn't make sense.
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  18:57:37  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They do have three other albums and an EP.

-Johnny Thunders

www.transposed.net
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  19:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've Sonic Youth twice... I've never been so bored in my life, watching a bunch of misanthropic teens lean and hunch over... fuck that... boring
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  01:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

I've never heard a Sonic Youth album in my life.

Just quit a cult / going through withdrawal

lucky you !

I joined the cult of this mouse / and now I occidentally tic-tac
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  18:19:10  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
somebody should ask fb his opinion on the SY. my guess is that he would reply something like "yeah, you know, a classic band but i'm not familiar with their music. when they were famous i was not interested in noise-for-the-sake-of-it kind of stuff. it was already a clichè."

Just don't put words in Frank's mouth. You know what happened last time!

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Go to Top of Page

darkoutsider
= Cult of Ray =

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  13:33:46  Show Profile  Visit darkoutsider's Homepage  Click to see darkoutsider's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow... that's why I haven't bought a SY record. The two bands that led the way for alternative rock. Pixies and Sonic Youth. To think they were going to play back-to-back on Lollapalooza. You know Moore would've been kissing Frank's ass backstage. They just want to sound cool by putting them down. And one more thing! Of all the Pixies songs to play they play "Tony's Theme"??? Why not "Hey" or "Tame" or "Dead" or "Planet of Sound" why "Tony's Theme?" I mean don't get me wrong I love Tony but why pick that one??

Fuck Sonic Youth!! Give me the Pixies any day of the week. Fuck "Bull In The Heather" I'll listen "Gigantic" bitch!!

In my defense... I'm just sayin'
Go to Top of Page

darkoutsider
= Cult of Ray =

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  13:41:23  Show Profile  Visit darkoutsider's Homepage  Click to see darkoutsider's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sonic Youth listens to Jay-Z!!!!!!!!!! What the fuck!!!!! How am I not shocked?

Go to Top of Page

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  15:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Black Francis

I've [seen] Sonic Youth twice... I've never been so bored in my life, watching a bunch of misanthropic teens lean and hunch over... fuck that... boring

"So many words, so many ideas. You can sing about anything."
-Frank Black, 1993

Edited by - KimStanleyRobinson on 07/02/2004 15:14:45
Go to Top of Page

jonathan
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2004 :  00:02:36  Show Profile  Visit jonathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
grow up kids. was probably a flippant interview comment of little validity. and who cares if SY aren't anoraks about the Pixies. they have still written some great tunes (lee more than thurston or kim though). I don't think they were setting out to diss the Pixies there, and I really don't think Frank, Kim, Joey or Dave would give a fuck what they said.

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2004 :  19:05:30  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What exactly is wrong with Jay-Z?

-Johnny Thunders

www.transposed.net
Go to Top of Page

kotvana
- FB Fan -

Israel
99 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  12:41:53  Show Profile  Visit kotvana's Homepage  Click to see kotvana's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I loved both of them when I was 13. Now I'm 28. They were my 2 favorite bands.
Bowie mentioned both of them on the same breathe, as the two main forces of modern alt-rock.
It's unbelievable to me that SY don't have a clue who the Pixies are.
Ridicilous, really.
Thurston, I hate u, for joking on the Pixies. The Pixies should be taken seriously, very seuriously.
There a paradix, ofcourse: it's not possible they don't know the music if they underate it.
We should buy them all Pixies T-Shirts and make them wear them all the time.
Still hope it's a private joke between the bands.
Some day we will understand, and laugh.
Go to Top of Page

darkoutsider
= Cult of Ray =

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  03:30:13  Show Profile  Visit darkoutsider's Homepage  Click to see darkoutsider's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some day we will, but for now it's war!!

Not really.

Go to Top of Page

thedutch
- FB Fan -

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  12:53:59  Show Profile  Visit thedutch's Homepage  Click to see thedutch's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
first thing: thurston was just joking. maybe he really is indifferent, maybe not?

second thing: i think nirvana were a little more just pop-punk than the pixies were but SY seems to go either way. they want something that way out there or something primitive and rocking like nirvana, a band that's both like the pixies probably isn't their thing. he's probably jealous of their cleverness and influence.

third thing: you people are ALL wrong about SY. they are probably the least original band of all time and they are hardly a one trick pony. sonic youth are famous borrowers and combiners of sounds. what they do is find a obscure fringe scene and incorporate it into their music and then it seems to everyone like they made it up. starting with no-wave bands like the swans, then dinosaur jr, then nirvana and grunge, then lo-fi (pavement), and then the arty jap stuff they were doing.
Go to Top of Page

Sn@ke
- FB Fan -

Portugal
16 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  10:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woow...

Sorry, I know this is an old post and I'm a newbie around here but I don't know why people are so upset about what Thurston and Kim said...,i mean they were just joking. One thing I notice is that when Sonic Youth is interviewed by people of Mtv,Vh1,and some magazines that just say bullshit, they do THIS:

Audio:http://nardwuar.com/audio/interviews/real/sonic_youth.ram
Transcribed: http://nardwuar.com/vs/sonic_youth/index.html

In this Interview they say things like:
- Led Zeppelin, The Who, Beatles are Sonic Youth clone bands
- Who's Johnny Rotten? I don't know anything about him.

etc...but if you listen to the audio you will see that they just don't care about the interview and they are just goofing around, I've read a lot of sonic interviews and they just say silly things (like the Neck Blues Band is the best band ever) but in others interviews they are talking serius stuff...i remember that in some interview Thurston said something like this: "I remember seeing Kim Deal doing "Monkey Gone to Heaven" in Letterman...and I thought that she just fucking rocked".

I love Sonic Youth and Pixies!!...I can't choose one of them...

sorry for my bad english xD...oh and for the SY fans here, listen to that interview with nardwuar, I'ts hilarious

Go to Top of Page

kevins
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  09:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nyuck nyuck nyuck

pop punk is a form of alternative, the worst form if you ask me

punk music is music where musicians who dont give a rats ass about theory and such and sounding wonderfull express their opinions and ideas and beliefs through music.

around the late 1980s alternative rock as we know it came around, it was the same lacking care for being complex as hell. many bands like nirvana and weezer and such were influenced by the pixies who in the era of cock rock when everyone wanted to be just like zepplin with their guitar riffs played soulful songs without caring how complex the guitar lines were and such. it got people back to understanding what music was.

the alternative rock movement was "play what you feel, dont care how complex it is or how wonderfully beautiful it is as long as it sounds good to you and reflects your beliefs."

the punk movement was "play what you think and believe in, dont care if it sounds good to anyone and reflects your beliefs"

over the last 10 years people have tried to rename the alternative rock movement "grunge" "pop punk" "emo" "indie"

pop punk describes bands that were influenced by punk bands that play crappy cliche trite garbage over punk sounding guitar lines. they are the idiots that think "PUnK RawK IS PoWeR CHorDZ" however they sing about emotions so therefore they fall under the umbrella term of alternative.

never cared for sonic youth

and whomever said the pixies were truly a pop punk band doesn't know how lame pop punk actually is.

the way i see it is the pixies influenced a ton of great musicians through inspiration instead of mimicry.

sonic youth didn't do shit
Go to Top of Page

kevins
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  09:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DISREGARD EARLIER POST!

edited, should have checked punctuation and such

nyuck nyuck nyuck

pop punk is a form of alternative, the worst form if you ask me

punk music is music where musicians who dont give a rats ass about theory and such and sounding wonderfull express their opinions and ideas and beliefs through music.

around the late 1980s alternative rock as we know it came around, it was the same lacking care for being complex as hell. many bands like nirvana and weezer and such were influenced by the pixies who, in the era of cock rock when everyone wanted to be just like zepplin with their guitar riffs, played soulful songs without caring how complex the guitar lines were and such. it got people back to understanding what music was.

the alternative rock movement was "play what you feel, dont care how complex it is or how wonderfully beautiful it is as long as it sounds good to you and reflects your emotions." the goal of alternative was to make art

the punk movement was "play what you think and believe in, dont care if it sounds good to anyone as long as it reflects your beliefs" the goal of punk rock was to educate, inform, and spread ideas

over the last 10 years people have tried to rename the alternative rock movement "grunge" "pop punk" "emo" "indie"

pop punk describes alternative bands that were influence exclusively by punk bands that play crappy cliche trite garbage lyrics over punk sounding guitar lines. they are the idiots that think "PUnK RawK IS PoWeR CHorDZ" however they sing about emotions so therefore they fall under the umbrella term of alternative.

never cared for sonic youth

and whomever said the pixies were truly a pop punk band doesn't know how lame pop punk actually is or what it actually is. seeing as the pixies aren't a "punk sounding band that sings with no artistry to their lyrics"

the way i see it is the pixies influenced a ton of great musicians through inspiration instead of mimicry.

sonic youth didn't do shit
Go to Top of Page

geertos
- FB Fan -

Belgium
158 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  02:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excerpt from interview with BF in early 90's, about SY. He said something like:

"I guess SY is a bit jealous of us, since the Pixies and SY are always mentionned in one breath, but SY had to work much longer and harder to get where we are in only a couple of years."

I guess there is a friendly rivalry going on between these two bands. But anyway, the Pixies aren't exactly a frame of reference for Thurston Moore. C'mon, he's making music since the late 70's with Glenn Branca. Modern classical symphonies for 30 electric guitars, and Japanese avant-garde noise, that's his interest.

Furthermore, do you believe FB puts on the latest Weezer or Nada Surf album when he gets home? No. Just like that, Thurston doesn't put on the Pixies.

And not that it matters, but since this is becoming a rediculous "I hate/love SY"-discussion: I for one like them. SISTER (1987) anybody?

Edited by - geertos on 04/18/2005 02:07:29
Go to Top of Page

Sn@ke
- FB Fan -

Portugal
16 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  05:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well...for me their best LP is EVOL(1986)
Go to Top of Page

geertos
- FB Fan -

Belgium
158 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  05:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Upon closer inspection, yeah big parts of that interview seem in jest to me. I mean, Thurston calls the Beach Boys "Mike Love and his band". That's just hilarious imo :) (fyi: Mike Love is the lead singer who is widely believed to have zero talent and owes it all to the wilson brothers).
Edit - spicy detail: SY also did a cover of BB's "I know there's an answer" for a Wilson tribute album "smiles vibes and harmony", way before FB's "Hang on to your ego"

And Kim Gordon innocently saying she's seen their videos, while she actually directed Cannonball herself...

But still, I don't suspect SY to put on a lot of Pixies albums, but they're bound to know some of their songs, playing for several years at the same festivals and such.

Edited by - geertos on 04/18/2005 06:02:38
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  15:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sn@ke

Well...for me their best LP is EVOL(1986)

That's a personal favorite of SY album, and Shadow Of A Doubt is a personal fave SY song.
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  08:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Confusion is sex... A good one... and Washing Machine, and Bad Moon Rising and Sista...

Well thoses dickholes released some damned good records...

uhm... NYC people... don't mind what they say or think... just watch

Lou Reed, the most pretencious and detestable man on earth and beyond released the most precious songs ever written!!!

I'm not pessimistic, I am sceptic.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  10:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hWolsky

Lou Reed, the most pretencious and detestable man on earth and beyond released the most precious songs ever written!!!

I'm not pessimistic, I am sceptic.

That's only your oppinion!

I want to be a singer like Lou Reed, I like Lou Reed.

You must learn what makes me kind
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  11:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread has the wrong title. It should be changed to "Pixies Fans talk about Sonic Youth".

"Join the Cult of Ronald and Russell Mael"
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  16:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From sonicyouth.com:

"Sonic Youth are back in the USA for a couple of shows with the Pixies: June 13 at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Maryland, and June 14 at Jones Beach on Long Island, NY."
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  16:28:15  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What, like a Battle of the Bands?

Come on the Ps!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  01:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

From sonicyouth.com:

"Sonic Youth are back in the USA for a couple of shows with the Pixies: June 13 at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Maryland, and June 14 at Jones Beach on Long Island, NY."

Wow, Pixies AND SY!! Magic!

Carlos
"Join up, conform and wear a different uniform!"
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  06:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's like a dream come true
Go to Top of Page

PixiesDeal
- FB Fan -

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  12:47:54  Show Profile  Visit PixiesDeal's Homepage  Click to see PixiesDeal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Exactly!

This will be the first time ever that the pixies and sonic youth are doing 2 shows together. I love both bands and wished i lived in that area b/c these bands are the most influential bands of our time. They revolutionized the music scene. They should do more shows together to solidify they are here to stay.

and according to pitchforkmedia.com Sonic Youth is OPENING up for the Pixies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"When people ask me what band I'm in and I say The Pixies, they say, 'Oh, it's an all-girl group, right?' I guess the name is pretty wimpy"-Kim Deal
Go to Top of Page

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  13:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-04/22.shtml#sonic
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  16:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like cruel fate, but Sonic Youth are not really for general consumption! And the Pixies have enough 'nice', catchy stuff for, if you will, the 'mainstream ear'!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000