Frank Black- Black Sessions question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lokalfuz
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  21:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me, is this an official release? How rare is it?

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  21:19:11  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's a section on it in the site FAQ:

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=961

There are still copies out there (I bought mine used off of Amazon.)
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  11:04:10  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See also:

http://www.frankblack.net/songs/db.asp?mode=release-details&ReleaseID=555

Boycott cults and t's
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  12:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It shows up on ebay now & then. The CD usually sells for about $10-15. The double vinyl usually sells for $20-30.

So it's not all that rare, though it will take some digging if one wants to find it.
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  23:18:40  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I normally can find the vinyl on online stores (as opposed to COR vinyl; that took quite a bit of searching). But it's probably SOMEWHAT rare, I think it was only printed in 3 countries (of which USA was not one) -- I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

the thing
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  13:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't bother, considering that it's an official release the sound quality is awful. Only really worth getting for the kitchen tapes tacked on the end (Jumping Bean, Modern age - with Joey on guitar)

How does lemur fur, reflect the sea? Someone should do tests
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  18:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the thing

Don't bother, considering that it's an official release the sound quality is awful. [/i]

I would respectfully disagree. The sound quality on both my original 4AD import disc and the later domestic reissue are perfectly fine. In fact, it sounds about as good as the average small club-taped Westwood One radio show.

It's definitely better than 9 out of 10 bootlegs, and certainly professional quality in both mixing and mastering.

This was a loose gig on a loose tour (Eric Drew Feldman was on bass, Nick Vincent on drums, Lyle Workman on guitar), and the band seems to be having fun with it.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

the thing
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  03:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'll dig it out and give it another bash - I deliberately buried it because I found the acoustics to be almost unlistenable, I concur that the band themselves sounded excellent, but they sounded like they were playing in a large dustbin.

The version I have is on Play it Again Sam, blue tinted cover with Frank on Guitar. - Is this not a good version? - I know the 4ad import looked alot sexier

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  06:36:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the thing

Don't bother, considering that it's an official release the sound quality is awful. Only really worth getting for the kitchen tapes tacked on the end (Jumping Bean, Modern age - with Joey on guitar)

Well the sound on Jumping Beans and Modern Age is a lot more awful than on the live recordings

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  07:11:58  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well while i think the sound of these recordings is great, it's also very lifeless....
but then alot of desk recordings are....

You Know You Want To!
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  07:36:21  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The sound's good to me and it's an excellent live from the Teenager era.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  14:14:50  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I bought this cd without even knowing Teenager
and I have to say that even live they made impression
when I eventually Teenager I was blown away how good, even better, they were in the studio

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  12:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i noticed on e-bay that there are two different issues - one with a black cover and it seems to list 18or19 tracks. no jumping beans. and then an anoise annoys issue that has the 3 bonus tracks. so questions: are they the exact same session from inter radio in france. are they the same quality. and the price difference ($50 for the black covered one as opposed to $15-$20 for the frank covered one. who has heard them both.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  14:11:53  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same gig, same quality. 19 tracks.

The blue covered version (anois annoys) is the UK release and includes the "Kitchen Tapes" (Modern Age and Jumping Beans). A solo acoustic Abstract Plain at the end as an extra bonus.

Edited by - fbc on 06/05/2007 14:18:51
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  04:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The black one is not just a black cover but a full black cd box.

"un jour tu connaitra cette detresse de pres ou de loin, je peux te le jurer" - Ofabsis
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  19:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anybody know what tracks are on this one(not listed in the discopedia):

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300120083317&rd=1&rd=1

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  20:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahh, figured it out, you can click on the other listings under same title. shmerrrrrrrr.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000