New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

This_Guy
- FB Fan -

Canada
146 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  02:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
never been accused of being the brightest bulb on the tree, but i was wondering if someone could help me out with a couple of pixie-esque definitions.

what are the tears of shasta sheen?
and
what is alusia? as in chien and alusia.
or annalusia? ewsia? you spell it smart guy.

free butter for the first best answer.

buffalo burger
- FB Fan -

53 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  02:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Un chien andalou was a short surreal film in the 1920s by Salvador Dali and another guy who's name escaped me.. the movie has horrific images such as a guy's eye getting sliced open and it was pretty...out there and 'debasing' for it's time.

i didnt ever really get what the "sia" that frank says is all about at the end of "un chien andalou-sia.."

tears of shasta sheen not sure..

bop.
Go to Top of Page

This_Guy
- FB Fan -

Canada
146 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  02:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where might a geek get his hands on a copy of said film?
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  03:16:02  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can possibly find a rental vhs tape w/ it on it. I've rented one in my town that has "Un Chien Andalou" paired up with "Land without bread" on it. I made a vcd out of it. It almost doesn't look terrible.
Go to Top of Page

waarismijnhoofd
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  05:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Chien' is french for Dog, Andalucia is the south of Spain. So Black Francis is basically singing to us that he's a dog from the south of Spain, wich ofcourse makes perfect sense to me (no-one can bark like he does).

The movie Un Chien Andalou shows amongst others pictures of people "slicing up eyeballs (ha ha ha ho)".

Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  05:39:44  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Un chien andalou is on kazza, the guys who made it are prob all dead now, so don't feel too bad about getting it for free

For ten thousand years he slept, his mind feeding on the nightmares of the weak. Now he has awakened. As the night turned crimson, the fire-blade shattered and his power died. Then, the slaughter began...
Go to Top of Page

Douglas
= Cult of Ray =

Sweden
308 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  08:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Alec Eiffel Homepage:
"'un chien andalou'...It sounds too French, so I will sing 'un chien andalusia', it sounds good, no?"
Go to Top of Page

brysonmeunier
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  10:11:53  Show Profile  Visit brysonmeunier's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waarismijnhoofd

'Chien' is french for Dog, Andalucia is the south of Spain. So Black Francis is basically singing to us that he's a dog from the south of Spain, wich ofcourse makes perfect sense to me (no-one can bark like he does).

Um... okay. Or it's a homophone for "I am a dog and I lose you (ya)," which would be more consistent with the character of one who debases.

This topic comes up pretty often, so I can't be the first person to bring this up? Makes more sense to me anyway. Not that that's a prerequisite...

Mmm, butter.

Bryson
Founder/Proprietor/Vitiator
- the HEY cafe -
http://www.arnoldjacksontheband.com/pixies.htm
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  11:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what i remember tears of shasta sheen refers to Mount Shasta which is located somewhere or other and supposedly homes the people of Lemuria,twin city of Atlantis.Not sure where the tears bit comes from.Or the sheen.

"I joined the Cult of this guy / 'cause they took my other picture away
Go to Top of Page

This_Guy
- FB Fan -

Canada
146 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  00:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i always got a martin/charlie sheen vibe from the tears bit.
evergreen, california..

i'm keepin the butter.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  00:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mount Shasta is apparently where the ancient Lemurians settled after their Atlantis-like world was destroyed, as Shakey said. I would imagine he is seeing the tears of these people "sheen" on the mountain.
Go to Top of Page

This_Guy
- FB Fan -

Canada
146 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  00:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think we have a winner.
i'll take it.
and
you can have half the butter.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic