What's "Coastline" about?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jackelope
- FB Fan -

22 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  01:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the song, but while listening to it the other day I realized that maybe my interpretation is off-base. Here's my take on it:

It's a guy writing to a gal he dated for a while but things didn't work out; he was dealing with some "issues" of some kind that he's still figuring out ("as soon as I find out I'll let you know"). He knew, somehow, that it wasn't going to work out, and so he went ahead and broke up with her ("I was trying to save us both some time"). But now he's getting a second chance with her ("And if you don't mind/I'm gonna turn 'round in my tracks"), and he's really grateful for that ("It's good to be back down on the coastline").

The opening bit seems to say basically that she's a great gal ("your horse is going to win").

This interpretation works for me, since I was in exactly that situation when I got SMYT (we're engaged now ), but I'm wondering if others read it differently.

Thanks!

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  04:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't agree with your interpretation. I will post mine when I have more time.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  04:57:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mmmm, since I don't know when frank wrote
you could be right

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  06:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I don't necessarily think he's talking to a lover/girl. I think he is saying he has some baggage, "shit that i've been in" .

And he is resigned himself to whatever situation that may be-"your horse is going to win"

And that he would like to get back to what he knows and avoid the situation any further. "Theres a coastline-would like to go back, and if you don't mind i'm gonna turn round in my tracks".

Very open to interpretation.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  06:46:23  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have absolutely no idea, I rarely try and interpret music because I just confuse myself.
To be fair, it doesn't take much.

However, muchly congratulations on your engagement!

"I joined the Cult Of Joey and Iggy/Cos they can hypnotise chickens"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  07:54:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Coastline is a little more about getting back to your roots than about a girl or anything. It seems like the 'relationship' is more of a metaphor for how he used to be than an actual one. Especially when you couple it with a song like "The End of Miles" where he talks about returning to the west coast which is essentially where he's from.

Maybe it even explains the Pixies reunion? Well, OK, probably not, but a case could be made... listen to it again and think about the Pixies, their split, FB's solo career, etc, and you might see some hints, but I don't really think that's what it's about. Who knows with FB?

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

jackelope
- FB Fan -

22 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  10:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I think Coastline is a little more about getting back to your roots than about a girl or anything. It seems like the 'relationship' is more of a metaphor for how he used to be than an actual one. Especially when you couple it with a song like "The End of Miles" where he talks about returning to the west coast which is essentially where he's from.

Yeah, I'd noticed the repeated imagery of standing at the coast with mountains behind you; that's kind of what made me start wondering if I was misreading "Coastline."

Thanks for the input, all.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  11:31:31  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 1st time I listened to it(I agree with you Cult Of Frank) and I still get that feeling,that it was kinda like an apology to Kim.Yeah if Frank went back on his tracks he had to pass thru the Pixies and then back to the Coastline.One thing is clear,this song is very heartfelt,you can even sense Frank's honesty pouring from the speakers.
Go to Top of Page

Doryphore
- FB Fan -

Belgium
111 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  12:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me it's about having some sort of relationship, progressing up to a point where the protagonist is no longer up to it (can't/won't 'get on the boat'...?), and decides to abandon the whole thing instead of staying behind.

"Your friends say that I'm strange"
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  13:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't listen to FB for his lyrics.
Go to Top of Page

FrankfanL
- FB Fan -

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  13:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixie Steve : Surely you jest...
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  14:24:10  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I only listen to Frank for the articles.

Oh, wait...

Seriously, I do kind of think that jackelope is on the right track, but I'll have to listen to the song again to make sure. Maybe I'll come up with something.

As for the Pixies reunion thing, is there any Frank solo song that HASN'T been interpreted as being about the Pixies' breakup?

"Well, see, 'St. Francis Dam Disaster' is symbolic of the disaster that broke up the Pixies. The water represents Frank, who wanted freedom from the group. The dam is Kim..."

I've reached 1000 posts / So I'm too cool to be in a cult.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  21:30:53  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The only time I ever thought about a FB song pertaining to the Pixies break up would be Do You Feel Bad About It. But then I decided I didn't care. I have to agree with PixiesSteve. I know he has great lyrics, always has, but I've never been interested in lyrics much. I'm always too distracted by the music to bother with them. I know back in his Pixies days Frank didn't put any stock into his lyrics and said that he only cared if they sounded nice. I kind of latched onto that idea. Seems like he's been taking his lyrics more seriously within the last decade or so, but I personally enjoy the song itself more.

Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  22:16:00  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Sam. "Coastline" is about someone who's been around the bend more than once, and knows what to expect, and rather than keep fighting it, and himself, he's willing to accept it, and bow out gracefully from the race. He's older and wiser, and just wants to get on peacefully. A lot of the material on "Show Me Your Tears" is laced with that theme.

P.S.: Check out my version of the aforementioned song in the "B -sides" folder of the "You Ain't Me" tribute section of the ftp server. And let me know what you think.

Sorry...I had to give myself a little bit of a plug. :)

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  06:50:01  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Coastline" is about someone who's been around the bend more than once

The Farewell Bend?

Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  17:25:45  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

The Farewell Bend?

...could be. :)

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  21:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think "cothesline" is about a rope strung between two poles used to dry garments and often ran into late at night.

One of many great tunes on SMYT's.

~~I must be getting older..., I'm starting to eat my vegetables~~

Edited by - martha_promise on 04/30/2004 21:54:12
Go to Top of Page

jackelope
- FB Fan -

22 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  22:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martha_promise

I think "cothesline" is about a rope strung between two poles used to dry garments and often ran into late at night.

One of many great tunes on SMYT's.
I guess that would be "Show Me Your T-shirts"?
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  22:26:03  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

Same with me, Steve, but it's fun for me to hear what other people think it's about. There was a "song meanings" thread a while ago: it was thought-provoking.
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  05:48:31  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

Same with me, Steve, but it's fun for me to hear what other people think it's about. There was a "song meanings" thread a while ago: it was thought-provoking.

I don't listen to FB for his music.

Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  12:04:46  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wasn't "Clothesline" on the same album as "Goodbye Laundry"?

Of course, they both share some themes with the old Pixies song, "Hang Dryer."

Go to Top of Page

darkergreen
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  12:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
time travel.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  16:45:47  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Then the "coastline" is actually some cusp of space-time, or something?

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  20:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adnan_le_Terrible

I don't agree with your interpretation. I will post mine when I have more time.

Well?

Awwwwwwwwwww Lil' Buddage!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000