Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  08:42:08  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My DVD was delivered yesterday. I enjoyed all of it, the live section was brilliant. The road section belongs to Kim, those fridge magnets are hillariously awful. The Gouge doccie was good, I didn't like some of "stars" interviewed. Bono, the Bush guy (imagine being in a band named Bush nowadays), Badly Drawn Idiot and the Blur boys. PJ Harvey had me sitting up straight, she seems a very cool lady. I enjoyed Bowie's obvious respect for Frank. Bono oozes fake sincerity as always. A pity Kim was not available for the documentary.

Bring on some more DVD's.

wilhelm

Edited by - offerw on 05/08/2004 04:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  14:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by noexx

quote:
Originally posted by beatnik

(see Frank with his mouth wide open for practically the entire Here Comes vid because he obviously didn't know when the "effects" camera was going to be on him).

actually, he and kim left their mouths open on purpose. most videos usually have people lip syncing to themselves and they went unconventional and just opened their mouths when their singing parts came instead of mouthing the words to be different......nice touch.

Fucking hilarious touch!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  14:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kitsunegari

quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

the on the road stuff also gave me a major crush on kim deal (again)

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"

Same here...

And here!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  15:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by offerw

......... I didn't like some of "stars" interviewed. Bono, the Bush guy (imagine being in a band named Bush nowadays), Badly Drawn Idiot and the Blur boys. I did not like them.......

wilhelm

Why does everybody hate Badly Drawn Boy? WTF? Gavin Rossdale I can understand, but what did Damon Gough do that was so bad? You are hateful, hateful people!

Stay tuned for signature change at 400 posts.
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  18:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the name alone scares me.......
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  20:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What tour diaries?

quote:
Originally posted by Itchload

It's pretty good.

On The Road: rating: B. Very interesting, it was mostly a documentary on Kim. I liked Frank's hair getting progressively longer. Anyone notice how many things involved the band minus Frank? From reading his tour diaries, it seemed the Doolittle tour was a bit stressful on him and there might have been some animosity there. I wouldn't have minded it being feature length though, and with that video quality, there is enough room on the DVD for it.

Gouge: Well, considering half the documentary is from the live show on the same disc, it seemed often superfluous. Good doc, but I can't stand when people write retrospectively of the Pixies and write off hte final two studio albums. At the time, they weren't as well received, but if they interviewed anyone from the next generation of Pixies fans (the youngest person interviewed was probably 35), they could have discovered how much everyone loves these records. I watched it with someone who only has their first 3 albums, and clearly after hearing everyone slag off BOSS and TROMPE she probably isn't going to want to check out the rest. I'll give that a B as well.

Concert is a fun to watch, even though I'd already seen the whole thing pretty much from the Gouge doc.

I'm definitely looking forward to a second DVD release!

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  03:47:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a crush on kim too

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  04:34:41  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

quote:
Originally posted by offerw

......... I didn't like some of "stars" interviewed. Bono, the Bush guy (imagine being in a band named Bush nowadays), Badly Drawn Idiot and the Blur boys. I did not like them.......

wilhelm

Why does everybody hate Badly Drawn Boy? WTF? Gavin Rossdale I can understand, but what did Damon Gough do that was so bad? You are hateful, hateful people!

Stay tuned for signature change at 400 posts.

I just don't like his name, his music or his look. Just personal taste, I'm sure there are thousands more who love his stuff.

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  04:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, What Tour Diaries?

quote:
Originally posted by LoganZ

quote:
Originally posted by Mac E. Doobage

What tour diaries?

Yeah, what tour diaries?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find Logan's Lost Blue Tosselhat

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  04:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have to say that I too feel slightly cheated on the whole DVD. Firstly, there is so much more live footage of them from later periods. At least two more shows should be on there. In GOUGE they show footage from other shows. Sure the quality is crap, but who cares. On the road stuff is great, but that too seems just a snippet of what is really in the archives. I remember speaking to someone who was at the studio when Doolittle was recorded and they were saying that they had a video camera with them most of the time. I don't want to intrude, but some of that would've been nice. It's all to obvious that the DVD was just thrown together to coincide with the reunion. I just wish that a more thorough DVD was released. I'm sure other concert footage and even TV appearances could have been put on had they enough time to get the rights for the, but under the assumed "rushed" circumstances, this is all they could do.

P.S. Regardless of my whining, I absolutely love the DVD. I mean, it's the PIXIES! It's all we have.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  07:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't the DVD being prepared quite a while before the reunion was announced???

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  08:52:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

yes, it was prepared for ages, 4ad did not rush this, and it was not just for the reunion.

But Marc E. is right
they showed minimal footage of the recording of Blown Away
there must be more from where that came from
and I rather see another concert than the one the DVD
but every 'pixies' thing that's released gives my great joy
and this DVD is certainly satisfying (except for the downplaying of Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde)

I hope 4ad will release more DVD's
more on the road footage and more studio footage
and more Trompe and Bossa stuff

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  09:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

Wasn't the DVD being prepared quite a while before the reunion was announced???

Announcing a reunion and deciding to do one are two separate things. I am not suggesting that they decided to reunite and then 4AD scrambled. I am 100% sure that 4AD were privy to the earliest rumblings regarding the reunion. I also don't feel that the DVD was "thrown" together or rushed, but I assume there were legal and financial limits to what 4AD were capable of. I doubt a team of lawyers were dispatched worldwide to secure the rights to say a Japanese TV appearance. They just wouldn't have the resources to gamble with. Again, it's all we have.

Edited by - Mac E. Doobage on 05/08/2004 09:18:07
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  09:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah let's hope so. If it's half as good as this one then I will be very happy indeed!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000