Next releases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  00:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to Spinart, 'Frank Black Francis' is now tentatively scheduled for August - the Pixies stuff has put the release on hold and it seems the track list itself is yet to be determined or finalized.

As for 'Honeycomb' and the b-sides / rarities compilation, they should be released somewhere between October and next spring.

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  04:57:34  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh well....i'll have to wait patiently in the meantime !

----------
They are about, dressed to deceive, architect David Vincent
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  05:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

As for 'Honeycomb' and the b-sides / rarities compilation, they should be released somewhere between October and next spring.

I'm really looking forward to 'Honeycomb', I only hope it's as good as a catholic backed record.

"Join the Cult of America / And think that UK means England"

[EDIT - Fixed broken quote]

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/23/2004 14:00:01
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  13:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, let's just say I've heard some pretty high praise for it...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  16:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What Dean said.

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  16:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bad news about Frank Black Francis...

Good news about Honeycomb; that's if it's released in October and not next freaking spring.

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  22:37:15  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Frog in the Sand. I always appreciate knowing FB information.

Join the Cult of Pi - It's just 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097....
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  02:41:53  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Obviously we'll have to wait a little bit, but our patience will be rewarded by 3 releases in less than a year... :)

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  04:06:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I guess they will do both the b-sides cd's at the end of this year, and honeycomb next spring. That would make sense.
Or they could release them all three together sometime around christmas

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  04:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I guess they will do both the b-sides cd's at the end of this year, and honeycomb next spring. That would make sense.
Or they could release them all three together sometime around christmas

Yeah, I'd like Santa Claus to bring me a 4-cd box set including FBF, Honeycomb, the b-sides compilation and some extra Christmas songs by the Catholics.

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  12:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's anyone's guess at this point, but I actually think the opposite. I think they're more likely to release Honeycomb first and then the b-sides collection(s) later.

A "new album" of all new material, released in the midst of the Pixies machine rolling all year and all the good press and goodwill toward Frank Black going around, is likely to generate the most interest.

B-sides collections, even when they're great, usually have a "die hard fans only" whiff about them.
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  14:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well...that b-side collection should contain "pan american highway"...one of those b-sides that have you wondering what the hell is on the album itself if this is a 'b-side' to a single.

yeah, i know pan american is an outtake from the "unreleased album" but still...it's a gem.

looking at all the missing b-sides..except for some of the more bland cover songs most of it should be tight. hopefully "im going down" will be on it...one of the more tight covers.
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  02:13:05  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the compilation track listing as Frank posted it 2 months ago:

ONE MORE ROAD FOR THE HIT
01. Show Me Your Tears
02. Don’t Clip Your Wings
03. Humboldt County Massacre
04. Pan American Highway
05. Angst
06. Constant Sorrow Man
07. Le Cigare Volant
08. Living on Soul
09. Preacher’s Daughter
10. Ludwigshafen
11. Pray for the Girls
12. Valley of Our Hope
13. A Dab Will Do You

SNAKE OIL
01. Down In The Hole
02. Do Nothing
03. Going Down
04. The Big Hurt
05. Take What You Want
06. Some Things
07. Belle Isle
08. Changing Of The Guards
09. Sleep
10. Snake Oil

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 04/25/2004 02:17:38
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  07:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks...

ooo..."sleep" is a good one, esp for those that like that falsetto voice frank does..

this is gonna be the hottest set of B-sides ive seen since that Mudhoney double CD from a few years ago.
Go to Top of Page

CaptainMaximus
- FB Fan -

126 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  07:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belle Isle? How did this one slip under my radar? Anyone know anything about this one? I'm familiar with all the abovementioned besides "Belle Isle."

I agree with the guy above about the "Honeycomb" release; it would seem to make sense to release that while the Pixies publicity machine is working at full throttle.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  11:06:30  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe Belle Isle is a Bob Dylan cover. All the songs on "Snake Oil" are covers. I'm not sure when it was recorded, but I remember hearing that their next album was going to have a Stones cover, a Dylan cover, and a Reid Paley cover...and I think that was between DITS and BLD/DW, so I would venture to guess that they were recorded around that time.

Boycott cults
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  12:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank said they've recorded enough versions of 'Sister Isabel' to do "an entire boxset".

'Took his plane to Columbia/So I could sell at my school"
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  23:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

I believe Belle Isle is a Bob Dylan cover. All the songs on "Snake Oil" are covers. I'm not sure when it was recorded, but I remember hearing that their next album was going to have a Stones cover, a Dylan cover, and a Reid Paley cover...and I think that was between DITS and BLD/DW, so I would venture to guess that they were recorded around that time.

Boycott cults

Belle Isle is a Dylan cover, it's on his "Self Portrait" album, as is All the Tired Horses. It's one of more reviled albums in Dylan's ouvere, but the diehards seem to go nuts for it. Anyhow, Morris Tepper played the song in his set when he opened for Frank at the Mint in late '01 (one of the best shows ever), and when Morris came out to play with Frank & the band (Eric Drew Feldman, Dave Phillips, and some unknown drummer), he said he doubted that the song was written by Dylan, since he was always lifting stuff from obscure folk singers and the like. Frank took exception to that, and they had a little good natured argument over it. That was a heck of good show.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  01:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a few songs on Self-Portrait credited to Dylan that many will say shouldn't be. "Belle Isle" is one. "Alberta" and "It Hurts Me To" are the others.

Still it's a neat album. It isn't hard to see why so many people hated it at the time and thought he was either out of ideas or deliberately trying to annoy his audience. Lotta cover songs, simpler songs than Dylan's more celebrated stuff. But I think it's aged well. It IS entertaining and easy to listen to and you can see why Frank might identify with it.

Edited by - Jason on 04/27/2004 01:57:41
Go to Top of Page

EnglishGeezer
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  19:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

Obviously we'll have to wait a little bit, but our patience will be rewarded by 3 releases in less than a year... :)

Bloody hell this man is so prolific with releasing material, I love being a Frank fan!! im going to cry with joy into my pie and mash.
Go to Top of Page

Avid-Fan
- FB Fan -

100 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  00:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if "snake oil" is an original FB song or a cover? There was conflicting info at the time of it's release on the Nadine cd-single.. I still don't know which...

(( I talk plain talk ))
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  01:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank puts "Snake Oil" on the cover songs disc of the two b-sides collections. That oughta answer that question.

When Frank responded to the "Snake Oil" query a long time ago, I'm thinking he may have just misread "Snake Oil" as "The Snake".
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  02:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

Frank puts "Snake Oil" on the cover songs disc of the two b-sides collections. That oughta answer that question.

If my memory serves me well, someone (supposedly a Catholic) said this song was from an obscure Italian band.

quote:
When Frank responded to the "Snake Oil" query a long time ago, I'm thinking he may have just misread "Snake Oil" as "The Snake".

Yep, probably. I had the same thought anyway.

Go to Top of Page

The Shape
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  07:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry but i'm little lost with all these releases.
I can't complain about this, but is anyone can give me details of what is the Honeycomb cd ?
cheers.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  08:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Shape

I can't complain about this, but is anyone can give me details of what is the Honeycomb cd ?
cheers.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6519
Go to Top of Page

Jettison
- FB Fan -

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  08:34:49  Show Profile  Visit Jettison's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dylan describes 'self portrait' as his own bootleg.

wigwam is such a beauty.

does bob take credit for "belle isle" on that release?

isn't it traditional?

- - - - -
www.thecroakers.com
Go to Top of Page

The Shape
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  09:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

quote:
Originally posted by The Shape

cheers.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6519

Okaaaaay !!!
So Honeycomb is the new album and FB Francis is a demo.
For me FBF was the new album.
And a b-sides compilation is expected.......whoaa !!!
He's working too fast, i can't follow !!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000