Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  21:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So much going on this thread is on fire like the roof was at Roy Wilkins...

Here is what I got in terms of the set list... let me know if I left anything out...or got it mixed up... I wrote it on a note pad and might have gotten it mixed up. I do know they did play Something Against You but I forgot where.

In Heaven
Wave UK Surf
Here Comes Your Man
La La Love You
Nimrod
Mr Grieves
Cactus
Where is My Mind?
Vamos
Bone
Subba
Dead
Head on
Crackety
Isla
UMass
Debaser
Hey
Caribou
Velouria
I Bleed
Monkey
Gouge

Encore
Wave
Gigantic

http://www.campervanbeethoven.com/gearstolen/

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 11/10/2004 23:50:34
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  22:05:47  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kickass show. I thought it was interesting how they did their setlist. Basically they started with every slow song they had and got faster as the show progressed. Vamos was fantastic. Only bad part was the two pairs of blowhards sitting next to and in front of me (balcony, front and center) who woulnd't stop talking. And the jackasses who kept getting up, leaving, and coming back to their seats. Tomorrow night I will be on the floor, so no more worries there.

The joke has come upon me
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  23:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok before you sit and read this RUN to Disclive and buy your self a copy of tonite's show because you are gonna want one!!!! And I can tell you now from the line I saw tonite... it's gonna sell out if it hasn't already.

Also a tip if you are going to other shows... preorder the Disclives before the show... so you don't have to stand in line after the show...

Sorry Porkbone about those annoying people. The crowd by the sound board was cool... other than people walking by in this isle that was right in front of which is understandable...it was cool. I was a little suprised about how many people go on beer runs during the show but I guess that's another Minnesota thing I need to get used to.

Right now I have a big smile like Kim on my face... the show was amazing... words can't explain how tight and creative it was... just let your ears judge and get a disclive or an mp3... no I don't work for them... but from this fan’s standpoint… this is the best Pixies show ever…

The Show…

The Datsuns opened… they had a lot of excitement and talent… it was refreshing because each song sounded different… I could detect a NIN and Social D influence on some songs… other influences probably were hair bands. I can only imagine how tough it is to open up for a band as famous as the Pixies, but they did a great job… I am surprised a few of there songs haven’t gotten airplay (that I know of) on Drive 105.

THE PIXIES!!!!! What more can I say… they took the stage after the lights dimmed and they were playing one of the songs on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack while the smoke machine kicked out in smoke…

The crowd greeted the band with enormous cheers… and all members looked happy as they took the stage. It was awesome to be a part of such a cool crowd and so many people dancing and singing along. The energy and enthusiasm was high throughout the show… it was great having a band and a crowd so into it!!!

They opened with in Heaven… and it defiantly was the best version of that I’ve heard…

The set was very cool.. the lights when they played both versions of wave looked like ocean waves… I think it is the same stage they used at the Austin City Limits set which included cool lights and fake trees in the background… definitely cool

Frank looked cool in his Austin City Limits T Shirt as did Joey in a black and white striped button down shirt… I didn’t get a close look at what Kim and Dave were wearing.

Overall—each musician was giving 200% for this show and it showed… every part seemed more amazing than ever… it blows my mind how they keep raising the level of the performance.

Everyone I talked to during and after the show was completely blown away. One nice guy that I hope signs up for this forum was saying that he thinks the set list was the same as they played last night in Milwaukee, but backwards… very Pixie-ish…

I didn’t stop screaming my lungs out… probably much to the annoyance of those around me in between songs… I hope that I can scream some more for the sold-out show tomorrow!!!! It was so awesome… it was the most energetic/enthusiastic I have ever seen a Minnesota crowd… people were pogoing and lots were getting their groove on…

The sound sounded wonderful!!! I am not sure why… but it might be because it looks like they have bought some new amps since I saw them last April at the Fineline…

Now for the songs…what I kept writing over and over… killer drums… killer bass… the Joey’s guitar sounds awesome…Frank is screaming his head off…

To Porkbone’s point, I noticed it getting faster with Nimrod’s… it was cool hearing a faster version of the songs…kinda added a cool punk rock vibe…then they broke it down into a c&w vibe which was so cool.

Kim’s bass definitely was the pulse that held the band together…it was so cool to see her and Dave because I couldn’t see them at the Fineline show. She gets this smile on her face and looks like she’s “in the zone” when she’s playing…

Joey took all is guitar solos to a new level… especially Vamos… the way it sounded was like outer space… it was amazing. You have to hear it to believe it. He also threw the drumstick back at Dave… which I am not sure if it is new… or what but it was cool!

Me and a whole bunch of other people were shaking their butts to David’s drum beats on songs like La La Love you… he rocks…

Of course Frank... he even topped the vocals and energy of the Fineline show… he was amazing throughout the show and it was so cool to see him and all the other band members passionate and having such a great time.

It was so neat to hear all the very unique touches they added onto the songs…. You have to listen to hear them all but it will drive you crazy… it definitely has a cool punk rock vibe because it’s faster than other shows… so amazing.

It was also great to hear songs like Cactus, Velouria, Subba, Head On, and I Bleed that I haven’t heard live…

I can’t wait until tomorrow!!!!

Anyway… I will see you guys tomorrow around 6 at the pub… my husband and I ate there… I must say the food was good. Bring your appetites because the portions were HUGE! The waitstaff/hosts were so cool and awesome… tomorrow they are going to put us upstairs… remember to ask for Daisy Green…and that will get you the table… even if you guys show up before 6pm ask and they will hook you all up.

I must say, it is going to be cool to meet new faces as well as see some familiar ones!! I definitely felt like a huge Pixies nerd when talking to the other folks at the show… so it will be good to see other Pixies/FB fans.

Realist… bring it on … I am challenging you to a beat box contest tomorrow be there or be square… I doubt your man/woman enough to show your face… if you beat me at the beat box contest I will by you a beer or a desert… your choice.

See you tomorrow!!!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 11/10/2004 23:30:09
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  03:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good review and thanks for the setlist daisy. It's so cool they're playing la la love you again!!
Go to Top of Page

al fresco
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  08:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Milwaukee show setlist wasn't the same as the Minneaoplis one backwards. I was hoping someone would've posted it. It was pretty close, but instead of Head On and La La Love You, we got Planet of Sound and Tame.

Unbelievable show. Wish I was in MN for the other shows.
Go to Top of Page

smendrzy
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  09:30:58  Show Profile  Visit smendrzy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One thing to add -
Between songs towards the end of the show, Kim asked the audience where her sister Kelley was. She must be in town for the shows, so keep your eyes open for her tonight!
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  13:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was anyone else in the same boat as I was, thinking the performance just left something missing? I also didn't notice the crowd too much into it ... although I admit everything magically picked up ever so slightly when I took my earplugs out about five songs into it. Earplugs (at least at a Pixies show) are for wussies.

The whole feel was just like the Denver show I saw a month or so ago ... same sort of venue, same slow start with the down-tempo (and to me less interesting) songs -- they even opened with In Heaven/Wave there too ... but somehow I enjoyed the Denver show a lot more. Everyone sees a show in their own context, but to me last night just missed that "Je ne sais quois." I'm expecting tonight to be completely different.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  13:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I was on the lookout but didn't see a single one of you (besides the Realist) there. Hopefully I'll bump into someone tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  14:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks al fresco

Roomloo-- sorry you missed us... we got there right at 6:30... it was just me and the hubby and we sat by the window in the smoking section... make sure you tell the hosts... they know where to find everyone

OK just until i get back from the show here is my cell #xxxxxxxxx
I want to see the familiar faces I have seen and meet all the others... especially those who might be a figment of someone's imagination :)

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 11/11/2004 21:32:46
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  14:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't see any of you at the show, I mean. Yeah, I realize it was pretty crowded...
Go to Top of Page

solace
= Cult of Ray =

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  15:22:27  Show Profile  Visit solace's Homepage  Reply with Quote
don't lie Dave, you saw me :P

i think i might have seen you Daisy, near the soundboard towards the end? but not sure.

i thought last night's show was great too, but i'd imagine if i saw s similiar one a month ago too, i might think differently. they were def into it at least, and not going through the motions, as i've heard from other friends about other shows on the first leg.

the section from Vamos to Debaser was worth the slow build up for me. they could have just come out and played those 8-10 songs or whatever and i'd have been happy :)

but yeah, hoping for something diff tonight.
Go to Top of Page

winnipegwantsfrank
- FB Fan -

83 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  19:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMAZING show!! Way better than when I last saw them in April. Much tighter, less mistakes, plus I was on the floor which always makes it better. I only wish that I was there tonight...

Some nice T-shirts for sale now too!

Also, Tame was played, and why were people sitting down?
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  21:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Solice, yup that was me. :) I wish I would have seen you and everyone else tonite. I did see Gunner & Andres at the Pub... and Josh in line for the disc live. Which was awesome meeting Gunner for the first time and seeing Josh and Andres too-- all lovely gents.

I was looking around for more of you... but I am sorry but I didn't see you

Ok...I do have to say that now that I am feeling a little of a let down because this might be the last Pixies gig I see, if the band decides this is their last tour... I tried talking my husband to going to Chi this weekend... but him being the voice of reason said it wasn't the best idea.

Anyway this show rocked too!!! How amazing... it had less of a punk rock vibe... and more of a playful vibe...

Here's the setlist....INCREDIBLE... and the band gave 200% again!!

Let me know if there are any changes... (changes in bold compliments of the always cool Mr. Porkbone)

Is She Weird
Head On
U Mass
Monkey
Cactus
Caribou
Broken Face (punk rock)
Crackety
Isla
Something Against you (punk rock)
Hey
Mr. Grieves
I Bleed
Velouria
Dead
Gouge
Tame
Gigantic
River Euphretes
Debaser
Wave
In Heaven
Winterlong
La La Love You
Nimrod's Son (beginning of "illegal medley")Holiday Song
Here Comes Your Man
Where is My Mind?

Nimrod's Son (derailing train version)

Encore

Wave UK Surf
Vamos

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 11/12/2004 04:53:43
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  21:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the difference between "Nimrod" and "Nimrod's (punk rock)"? Was the first one the slow version? Did Frank urinate into the audience during the second one?

Around here, intolerance will not be tolerated
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  21:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dayanara

What's the difference between "Nimrod" and "Nimrod's (punk rock)"? Was the first one the slow version? Did Frank urinate into the audience during the second one?

Actually they all did, except for Kim as she is challenged in this area which caused the entire audience to follow suit.

Seriously, Nimrod was more like the album version and the Nimrod (punk rock) sounded like Nimrod only more punk rock... hope that makes sense...

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  22:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok here is the review of this show... which is shorter due to lack of time... not that it wasn't incredible....

Not only was this show amazing and it was great to see the band interact and joke around... but it was special for these reasons.

All the members were so awesome and it was great to see it come together in such a team effort where they were having fun.

I have never heard Frank scream louder or harder... it blows my mind and sounds so good!!!

It was the first time I heard is She Weird? Which was very cool.

It was also the first time I had a clear view of the stage...so it was amazing to see Kim and Dave clearly. As well as Joey's Vamos preformance. (I have been able to see Frank and Joey at other shows.)

I've got to say it was intense watching Dave... it's so amazing just to watch him play... what sounds so effortless is such hard physical work... I guess that's what makes him such a great artist.

It was so cool hearing Kim and watching her play bass and sing. She sounded amazing in so many songs but two that really stood out to me were Hey and Gigantic. I also never knew that Kim sung the back up "whoo's" in Where is My Mind?

Joey's Vamos solo was the funniest and best yet. He did the normal thing where he put the gutair on the stand and started using the petals. Then, Dave threw a drum stick at Joey... Joey fliped it in the air and missed. From there, he did other goofy things like take a picture of the audience with his camera phone.

The sound was amazing...the crowd although bigger didn't get into it as much in terms of dancing or head bobbing but they made up for it in screams. I am now loosing my voice for screaming so loudly... it was that good :)

It was also so funny when the band messed up Nimrod's Son right before the encore and Frank is said jokingly something to the extent of "Is that how you want us to end the concert?"...And the crowd cheered back in jest... so they pretended to walk off stage... and then there was this long period when the crowd was cheering and then they started playing Wave UK Surf.

My advise is to go onto Disclive now to get this show-- these two shows would make a perfect representation of the Pixies tour as a whole.

This show was so amazing sound and music wise, but is also a special show to get to add to your collection because of all the band chatter in between songs... this is a must have.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 11/14/2004 16:16:10
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  22:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool beans. Thanks for the review, Daisy. You made me feel like I was there. Glad to hear everyone was in a good mood. Was the setlist you posted taken from the actual paper copy of the band's setlist?

Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  22:57:41  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the rest of the playlist, but I edited the bottom. Their "illegal medley" as Kim called it was Nimrod's Son broken into two parts, and they played 3 songs in the middle. When they tried to play the end of Nimrods, they were playing too fast and Charles sort of lost it.

So as they quit the song halfway through Charles says, "And that's how they ended the big fucking show in Minneapolis!" He asked again, "Is this how we should end the show?" and then he finally yelled the ultimate rock & roll concert cliche: "THANK YOU GOOD NIGHT!!"

It was the most classic Pixies moment I have ever seen.

Is She Weird
Head On
U Mass
Monkey
Cactus
Caribou
Broken Face (punk rock)
Crackety
Isla
Something Against you (punk rock)
Hey
Mr. Grieves
I Bleed
Velouria
Dead
Gouge
Tame
Gigantic
River Euphretes
Debaser
Wave
In Heaven
Winterlong
La La Love You
Nimrod's Son (beginning of "illegal medley")
Holiday Song
Here Comes Your Man
Where is My Mind?
Nimrod's Son (derailing train version)

Encore

Wave UK Surf
Vamos

The joke has come upon me

Edited by - porkbone1 on 11/11/2004 23:02:07
Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  04:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back into Winnipeg, sorry I missed the preshow party but we got kinda lost. I think that second show was awesome. You can tell the band was having fun.

The first night I was in a bad spot surrounded by idiots. These 2 girls behind me kept talking during the show so I had to tell them to shut up. The second show I was right up front by the speakers so you couldnt talk if you wanted to. Thankfully the security guy gave us some earplugs or I'd be deaf now. I cant believe i wore earplugs at a concert but we were only like 3' from the speakers.

Chris

Chris Choboter
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  04:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dayanara

Cool beans. Thanks for the review, Daisy. You made me feel like I was there. Glad to hear everyone was in a good mood. Was the setlist you posted taken from the actual paper copy of the band's setlist?

Thanks :)... dayanara. Actually it wasn't posted... I was just writing it down as they played... :)

Thanks porkbone for the changes... :)I will edit my post accordingly :) Yeah... that derailing train version cracks me up!

Chris I'm glad you made it back safely...

I had a great feeling when I woke up... a feeling that even if I never see the Pixies again that I saw two shows that are the best of the best and I will always remember them!!!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 11/12/2004 04:49:46
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  08:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming from a Wednesday-night nay-sayer ... Thursday was AWESOME. It was a first for me (in my seventh show) to see them open with three songs exclusively from Bossanova/Trompe and that kind of set the tone for the night. My highlight was "Isla de Encanta" (actually played too loud for the sound system, but so fast with a crazy light show). Most of the first half hour, Frank would start playing a song before the previous song was even finished. One fast, loud song after another. Blistering.

I didn't think I'd buy any more Disclives but I ordered one on impulse as soon as I got home. Don't think I'll regret it.
Go to Top of Page

j.dead
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  10:12:40  Show Profile  Click to see j.dead's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roomloo

{SNIP} I didn't think I'd buy any more Disclives but I ordered one on impulse as soon as I got home. Don't think I'll regret it.

I'm new to this forum -- just found it today, in fact -- so I apologize in advance if this question has been discussed to death already:
What is the consensus opinion of the sound quality of the DiscLive recordings? A friend told me about the service a few months ago (I didn't even recall the site's name!) but I've not heard any samples.
I do have a DAT of last night's (Thursday) show in St Paul, and I think it sounds pretty darn good. It is an audience recording, which is both good & bad -- it's an accurate representation of what the show sounded like, but it doesn't quite have the "presence" of a soundboard.
Anyway, DiscLive says they take a board feed and mix in ambient sound from room mic(s). That sounds like it would give good results, but what do those of you who have heard the final product think?
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  10:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is derailing train version?
Go to Top of Page

somar1
- FB Fan -

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  11:28:44  Show Profile  Visit somar1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

In general the Disc Live recordings are quite good..the quality obviously varies with the accoustics of the venue, etc...some recordings are much better than others. I got carried away with the warm up tour recordings, etc. and had purchased most of those (I also have the set from Brixton). I also wasn't going to purchase anymore, but I decided to make one last purchase..for last night's show, since that was the only show I was actually able to attend. I haven't heard the Disc Lives for the Minneapolis shows since I just ordered it on line and am having it shipped. In general I would recommend them.
[/quote]

I'm new to this forum -- just found it today, in fact -- so I apologize in advance if this question has been discussed to death already:
What is the consensus opinion of the sound quality of the DiscLive recordings? A friend told me about the service a few months ago (I didn't even recall the site's name!) but I've not heard any samples.
I do have a DAT of last night's (Thursday) show in St Paul, and I think it sounds pretty darn good. It is an audience recording, which is both good & bad -- it's an accurate representation of what the show sounded like, but it doesn't quite have the "presence" of a soundboard.
Anyway, DiscLive says they take a board feed and mix in ambient sound from room mic(s). That sounds like it would give good results, but what do those of you who have heard the final product think?
[/quote]

--------------------------
http://www.camberwind.com/
Go to Top of Page

somar1
- FB Fan -

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  11:33:02  Show Profile  Visit somar1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first time Nimrod's Son was performed only the first verse was sung. After a few more songs, the second verse was started, but then stopped after some mistakes/confusion....It was actually quite funny, as it was clear the band was having a great time last night.

quote:
Originally posted by mrgrieves1971

What is derailing train version?

--------------------------
http://www.camberwind.com/
Go to Top of Page

smendrzy
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  12:31:28  Show Profile  Visit smendrzy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was definitely more energy during last night's show compared to Wednesday night's. I think a lot of it had to do with the set list they chose - and how they improvised towards the end. I think the sound quality was a lot better too - Wednesday night seemed to have too much bass - I couldn't hear Frank as clearly.
Besides that, I noticed lots of people giving up on getting money for their extra Pixies tix outside the entrance of Wilkins. A few people were giving them away for free!
Anyway, the highlight of the night for me was the "illegal medley" - especially when Kim started to play the second half of 'Nimod's Son' instead of 'Here Comes Your Man': Frank put his finger to his lips to shush Kim when she asked if they'd ever be playing the second half of the song. Apparently she was spoiling the surprise.
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  13:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have much to add on Thursday's show, except that it was the best concert I've ever seen in that horrible barn called Roy Wilkins Auditorium.

For those who aren't familiar, Wilkins is a 5,000 seat cement rectangle that looks like it was designed to display cattle, or slaughter them -- broad floor area, seats rising on the sides like a half bathtub. Bands are placed opposite the stands (on the length of the rectangle), so the sound does three things:

1)it slams about 200 feet into the stands, hits the ceiling and then back down onto the band,

2) it travels under the stands (the half bathtub of balcony seating is on stilts)for 300 feet then bounces back at the stage, and

3) it goes sideways for 500 feet before bouncing all over the room. There are no noise dampeners or diverters. People muffle the sound like a carpet on a gymnasium floor.

Given these limitations, the place must be hell for musicians. What are there, three echoes? More? It *is,* however, GREAT for cacophony! The band sounded like Satan's locomotive on "Isla," chugging, chugging, chugging. Frank also emitted some fantastic screams on "Tame." I'm impressed at his ability not to lose his voice.

"Nimrod" as has been said, was hilarious. The DiscLive recording makes it especially clear -- the band had tempo and tuning problems at several points during the show, but on the second half of Nimrod, it went to hell. Whoever compared it to a train derailment was dead on -- that's *exactly* how it sounded! Being one who prefers his heroes to sport clay feet, it was the perfect ending to the (pre-encore) set.

Comment on DiscLive: I liked the ambient/soundboard mix on the FineLine recording, and found it sorely missing on this one. The second Wilkins show was entirely different recorded than it was live. A 25-percent boost of crowd noise would have *greatly* improved the recording (the crowd was, after all, an instrument).

Without it, I'm reminded of listening to someone talk on the telephone. You sort of grasp the conversation, but it's one sided. Also, the instruments sound "round" and "hollow" like little rubber balls bouncing. The sound in the auditorium was messy and harsh, like chainsaws on razor wire.

(That said, DiscLive is better than nothing, and one can only hope for the development of "DVDLive." Then we could see Kim smoke!)

Comment on the tour: This is completely sycophantic, but I love it that the Pixies are making money and turning heads. I paid $12 to see them play Omaha on the Bossanova tour, and I was hard pressed to find anyone else in my college town who knew of them(of course, the 300 of us packed into the club were rabid).

Now, they're a big freaking deal, and I love it. It's vicariously satisfying to see this after watching Frank lug his own gear for years, watching the Breeders fall from Lollapaloozadom, and watching Joey and David fade into relative obscurity. Hopefully all of their kids will have nice college educations and everyone will be able to retire comfortably. (And make lots more records, I hope.)
Go to Top of Page

Lex
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  18:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic reviews Daisy Girl (I've just e-mailed you earlier thinking the show was coming up soon)
Really good read, glad you all enjoyed the shows.

As for Disclive...........just do it the Brixton one I went to is my most played item on my ipod when I'm pi$$ed on a nightbus coming home!!!
Go to Top of Page

solace
= Cult of Ray =

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2004 :  06:43:04  Show Profile  Visit solace's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thursday's setlist was definitely WAY WAY better, but from a musical standpoint, they were much tighter on Wednesday. which was kind of funny, considering there was about 1000+ less people that night, and that crowd was more into it than on Thursday.

but yeah, both were very great shows, and considering i wasn't really very excited at all going into the shows, i came away being more than glad i went.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  16:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey... now that my voice is totally recovered after loosing it from screaming so loud for the Pixies both nites... I am still amazed about how great those shows were and am still telling anyone that will listen about it.

Triakel, I can't agree about yout comment more:

quote:
Originally posted by Triakel

Now, they're a big freaking deal, and I love it. It's vicariously satisfying to see this after watching Frank lug his own gear for years, watching the Breeders fall from Lollapaloozadom, and watching Joey and David fade into relative obscurity. Hopefully all of their kids will have nice college educations and everyone will be able to retire comfortably. (And make lots more records, I hope.)

I hear you about the venue... I guess on the plus size it seemed like the type of spot... kinda like a big high school gym... that they would have played back in the day.

Thanks Lex!

Solace I'm glad you went too!

Now, I just can't wait to get those disc lives in the mail...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000