Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 2004-04-14 - Winnipeg, MB - TELL US ABOUT IT!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  20:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
=)

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  20:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What time does the show start?

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  20:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
should be going on now

keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel
Go to Top of Page

Picapiedra
- FB Fan -

121 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  20:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seems to be a pretty quiet night compared to yesterday...

"Drug run'n on this Panamanian schooner."
Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  21:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from the show. I thought they were really good today and I'm glad the setlist had some varience from yesterday.

Yesterday I was right at the stage but for Winnipeg I was in the middle of the first balcony.

Here are a couple quick pics I took.

BTW, it was nice to meet a lot of people from the forum's ;)

Chris Choboter
Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  21:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, Kim was wearing a Rush shirt :)

Chris Choboter
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  21:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks man

I notice the flannel, the marshalls, I like the stage set up, and the P sign on the bass drum. Nice fotos man, thanks again

Oh yeah, nice security gaurds... to think, not to many moons ago, I was grabbing the pick right at his feet, and my friend girl was on stage doing the light bulb trick in the magic show with DL in bumfuck virginia...

My ears finally stopped ringing

Edited by - Little Black Francis on 04/14/2004 21:49:05
Go to Top of Page

JeffG
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  21:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you guys post about the show?
Go to Top of Page

frankblacktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  21:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im glad the setlist changed, but my ESP isnt working tonight so anybody know what the changes were?
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  22:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try ESPN2. they usually have that scroling thing on the bottom.

kay, yeah that was dumb. sorry. Anyone who went care to elaborate? Highlights? Lowlights? Did they play weird at my school?

Edited by - soundofataris on 04/14/2004 22:12:35
Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  22:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They started with Winterlong and ended with a second encore of lalaloveyou.

I dont remember everything right now but they added:
-Subbacultcha
-Head On
-Is She Wierd
-Cactus
-Isla de encanta
-Crackity Jones
-Blown Away

Chris Choboter
Go to Top of Page

frankblacktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  22:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for that, good to see the setlist evolve
Go to Top of Page

klikger
= Cult of Ray =

693 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  22:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Chris!
Go to Top of Page

neo
- FB Fan -

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  22:30:51  Show Profile  Visit neo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
kinda cool she's wearing Rush shit.
I met Geddy Lee about a year and a half ago (somewhere in 2001-2002) where I was working and I said, "Can I ask you one question?"
He says, "Sure."
I say, "Have you heard the Pixies?"
He goes, "Yes I have."

A while later on I read a review of the latest tour he was doing and the reporter said Rush sounded like the Pixies in their prime and I was wishing it were the they who were touring instead.

It's a full circle.
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  22:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In case anyone missed it, there's a topic on the setlist. it was(cut and paste):

-Winterlong
-Nimrod's Son
-Holiday Song
-Here Comes Your Man
-Vamos
-Blown Away
-In Heaven (Kim singing) into
-Wave of Mutilation
-Bone Machine
-Subbacultcha
-Cactus
-Monkey gone to Heaven
-Is She Weird
-Debaser
-Gouge Away
-Crackity Jones
-Something Against You
-Isla de encanta
-Broken Face
-Head On
-Tame
encore1
-Gigantic
-Into the White
-Where is my Mind
encore2
-lala love you

origionally posted by chrischob
I want to be a singer like Lou Reed

Edited by - soundofataris on 04/14/2004 22:37:45
Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  22:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's funny is Rush wont play Winnipeg. They played here a long time ago and some radio guy gave the concert a bad review. Since then, Rush wont play Winnipeg.

Chris Choboter

Edited by - chrischob on 04/14/2004 22:43:48
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  23:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woot - thanks!! (Gonna lock the other topic, prevent dupes.)

Nice pics too, looks like a great room. Big spotlight on FB!

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

Qris
- FB Fan -

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  23:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Qris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was fantastic. a huge thanks to Roomaloo, EdBud, and Havalina for their parts in getting me (and my hardcore friends) in. Was also great to meet so many fb.neters. Gonna try for some pix of the Saskatoon show.

www.qris.net
Go to Top of Page

sonic III
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  00:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the two cds are an hour and 10 minutes?... could that not fit one one disc? yes it could...
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  00:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackanapes says it was cool but a very different vibe than last night. There were some really cool dynamics going on up there between J,K and F. Am I just hallucinating? It was a little scattered but a hell of a lot of fun! Haven't seen a set seating list since the late 80's so I thought it seemed a little constrained.

BTW..One big Huuuuge hats off to Roomloo who got us to the 4th row and then another hats off to Kromkamp that got us to 2nd floor right. I think I've regained my hearing and I will post for all eternity on these boards that I will be wearing Kims' smile for a long time.
There were so many people that I have met in the last 2 days that everything has becomed blurred(thats the way I like it)LoganZ, glad you made it across the border man and I'll see if I can get Patrick to mail you the pick.
MattB, you are the man. You have to tell me your secrets about getting a really *HOT* girfriend that's just as cool as you.
Gunner and ObiJohn thank you for not treating me like the freak that I quite truly most likely am.
Crazy dudes from St.V that I met in Minnie, I never would have guessed.
I've got a lot more people on the list of superflous thank-yous and you know who you are but I'll leave it for now.
Cult Of Frank, you're on here too man but there's to much to recall from the past 36 hours.
Please be kind to me if there are any responses because I'm totally messed up but MAN, it feels good!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  00:16:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well the price is huge so it's nicer to pay so much for two disc's than for one

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  00:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neo

kinda cool she's wearing Rush shit.

must have smelled awful - but if you consider it cool, well...

I joined the cult of this mouse / and now I occidentally tic-tac
Go to Top of Page

mzajac
- FB Fan -

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  01:15:32  Show Profile  Visit mzajac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent show, beautiful venue. Wandering around the balconies of the Burton Cummings Theatre and ordering burnt-to-order CDs was like something out of Blade Runner. Thanks for the pics, chrischob; please post more.

I've taken the time to chat about it with my pals over drinks, and now I'm listening to the CD (342 of 1000). What an excellent live album! Those disclive folks really seem to know what they're doing.

After Subbacultcha Kim asks "have we ever played Winnipeg before?" No my dear, but FB and DL have. Did anyone hear me yell "I love you, Kim" just as they started to play Gigantic?

Edited by - mzajac on 04/15/2004 01:16:37
Go to Top of Page

mzajac
- FB Fan -

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  01:22:44  Show Profile  Visit mzajac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whoever first submitted info to CDDB typed "Dead" where it should read "Tame." Correct that, everyone, and submit your track list.
Go to Top of Page

number 13
= Cult of Ray =

286 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  01:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the setlist. I was wondering if the show would be available on the net. Can we download it? I got a wet dream that is having all the shows from the Warm Up tour, I am very excited about it.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  03:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More pictures! More pictures!

There needs to be a central place where people post links to their pixies reunion pics.

Edited by - Jason on 04/15/2004 03:14:04
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  03:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's with Lovering's hair again???

Great show in a terrific venue! Beginning with Winterlong was something of a surprise--a very pleasant one at that. Kim and Frank sounded beautiful together. Such an appropriate song for them to be playing after all these years.
Uptempo asskickers Nimrod's Son, Holiday Song, Debaser, Something Against You, Isla De Encanta, Broken Face, Head On, and Tame proved that despite the years apart the band can still rock as a tight single unit--I'm happy to say that they've all still got it.

I liked when, as Joey was dong him improvised noodling during Vamos, Lovering tossed him a drumstick to play his guitar with. e also used a beer bottle on it, like in the old days. He sounded great on Is She Weird and Gouge Away too.

I hope Frank's voice holds up for the rest of the tour, he was screaming like he hasn't in years on songs like Crackity Jones and Tame.

Kim's singing on songs like Here Comes Your Man, Bone Machine,and Gigantic was pitch perfect and so good to hear once again. I agree that In Heaven with her doing lead vocal transforms the song into a whole different animal. And that Rush t-shirt was a hoot.

Hair aside, Lovering's still got it too. That muscular pounding on songs like Bone Machine, Cactus, and Head On was as rockin as it ever was. He was great!

Long live the Pixies!!!
Go to Top of Page

kempes
- FB Fan -

Ireland
49 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  07:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FAO chrischob

Excellent pics you posted! I used one of them as my screen saver!
Have get got any more similar pics?

regards from Ireland

Kempes
Go to Top of Page

The Realist
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  07:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what show you were watching but it was absolutely terrible. Sure it's great to see the old gang back on the stage together but please note that there are more comments on this thread about Kim's stupid t-shirt than the quality of the show. This is because it was sad. It is quite obvious that the Pixies will no longer be a band again within a month. Kim was hammered and couldn't play or sing. She totally fucked up Gigantic and Into the White not to mention that she was off key on Debaser. Anyone who didn't notice this only has to pop in their DiscLive and listen to the proof. Sorry to break it to you hopefulls, but the Pixies are done. If you haven't seen them yet, I would get to a show quick because Frank can only take so much.

FYI - Winnipeg is the ugliest city in the world.
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  07:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Realist

Not sure what show you were watching but it was absolutely terrible. Sure it's great to see the old gang back on the stage together but please note that there are more comments on this thread about Kim's stupid t-shirt than the quality of the show. This is because it was sad. It is quite obvious that the Pixies will no longer be a band again within a month. Kim was hammered and couldn't play or sing. She totally fucked up Gigantic and Into the White not to mention that she was off key on Debaser. Anyone who didn't notice this only has to pop in their DiscLive and listen to the proof. Sorry to break it to you hopefulls, but the Pixies are done. If you haven't seen them yet, I would get to a show quick because Frank can only take so much.

FYI - Winnipeg is the ugliest city in the world.

You sound like the kind of asshole who comments on how fat the bride is at a wedding.
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  07:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!! What an awesome time last night. It was fantastic to finally meet a bunch of you. mattb, roomloo, porkbone, loganz, jackanapes, grateful jason ... the list goes on. The show was fantastic. I was absolutely astounded with how tight they sounded.

I'm listening to the Disclive CD right now, and the quality is unbelievable.

A HUGE thank you to havingfunyet and marbleslinger for hooking my friends up with some tickets. They were ecstatic.

marbleslinger...have a great time on the rest of the tour, I hope your Regina ride worked out.

gratefuljason...I hope you managed to warm up. Poor guy, his teeth were chattering when I was talking to him at the King's Head after the show. I didn't think it was that cold last night, but then I'm not from Houston. I hope Regina is warmer tonight.

Once again, it was an absolute blast. I was blown away by the whole experience. Thanks to one and all.

http://ca.geocities.com/kpgordon17/
Go to Top of Page

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  08:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for everything!!

Now, please upload your pics into the photo gallery so I don't have to keep stealing them and uploading them myself.
Its really simple - you just gotta have them saved on yer machine somewhere...

This-a-way, all the pics will be in one place.
There are a lot of shows coming up...gonna be a lot of pics...the FB.net guys I'm sure are happy to host all you can throw at them.

Thanks like, big piles from all of us who aren't close enough or rich enough to get to see them.

Go to Top of Page

Spiral~Daisy
- FB Fan -

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  08:20:20  Show Profile  Visit Spiral~Daisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow! I had tickets to that show too, but no way to get there. In the end my fiance couldnt get the time off work. It looked like it was great though. Glad you had a good time, and the pics are awesome.

Edited by - Spiral~Daisy on 04/15/2004 08:21:23
Go to Top of Page

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  09:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Realist

Not sure what show you were watching but it was absolutely terrible. It is quite obvious that the Pixies will no longer be a band again within a month.

We're all scared of that, man.

I doubt it, but lets just wait and see.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting that Frank is using Marshall amps..

I wish someone could get a picture of all the pedals Joey is using. If I ever get to see the Pixies, I'm going to unload some serious pictures with my new digital camera. They'd probably have to stop the show just to tell me to stop taking pictures.

Join the Devil's Workshop / Looking for idle hands to work second shift
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome show! Sound was perfect, perfect place for a concert. Could have done without he rows of seats, but oh well...
I met Joey behind the venue, in front of his tour bus. My friend and I chatted for a couple of minutes, it was cold so we didn't keep him too long. Great guy, courteous!
I talked to David Lovering inside the venue...we talked for 10 minutes! He was just hanging out having a drink, leaning against the back wall! Super nice! We discussed reuniting, favorite songs to play, Cracker, and various topics!
The CD sounds great! OK guys, on track #7 of disc one, right after Kim says "Wow you're really high" it quiets down a lot, and in that lull, if you crank your CD up you can hear me scream: "THIS IS AWESOME". I know it was corny, but I wanted to be on the CD.
All of this added to the special night it would have been without any of the extras.
Kim was having a great time it seemed. I never saw her stop smiling. There was a lot of interaction between band members. They were having a LOT of fun up there. I found myself obsessed with watching Kim and Joey, as I've never seen them perform anything live before. Kim looked a little uncertain on some of the songs, but she was having a good time and was excited.
I JUST HAD A GREAT FRICKIN' TIME!

That's all I have to say for now.

I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000