New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FrankfanL
- FB Fan -

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2004 :  12:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Midwesterners ! Just heard on WXRT radio Chicago tickets will be going on sale Saturday, 4- 10 for The Pixies playing the Aragon on November 13th. Unbelieveable!!!

[MOVED]

Edited by - El Barto on 04/06/2004 13:43:57

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2004 :  13:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, I heard about that, too. They're something like $35, but I'm willing to shell out that kind of money to see something I never thought would happen. I just wish it wasn't such a long wait. I wish more good shows would come to Kalamazoo. Chicago's not too far, and it's better than Detroit, but goddamn... I mean... goddamn. Sucks to drive two and a half hours for every good concert.

"(insert clever quote here)"
Go to Top of Page

xreflux
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2004 :  14:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I just heard it on WLUW. apparently they'll be givin away some tickets too. all right chitowners.
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2004 :  14:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "Tough Guy Town" show was yesterday's news, kids.
Go to Top of Page

klikger
= Cult of Ray =

693 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2004 :  00:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait. :) An additional show in Milwaukee or Madison would be nice, too.
Go to Top of Page

FrankfanL
- FB Fan -

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2004 :  13:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Chicago's WXRT will be giving away tickets also. I'll be watchin their website for details.
Go to Top of Page

Distraught
- FB Fan -

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  02:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone been to the Aragon Ballroom? I'm trying to decide between Roy Wilkin's in Minneapolis or The Aragon in Chicago and just wondering what the better venue would be. Here's an unflattering review I read about the Aragon.

"Pillars and other fancy, imposing facades decorate the outskirts of the ballroom floor. Conspicuous mexican plaza motif. Cool fake stars against an eerily lit ceiling simulate the night sky, though. Beer comes in flimsy paper cups, so watch out! Pretty bad acoustics, and the Aragon has earned its nickname -- the "Brawlroom" -- because, among other things, of the folding chairs used for rock shows and their habit of leaving their original locations."
Go to Top of Page

Meatpants
- FB Fan -

34 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  07:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Aragon is a classic with lots of history. I don't know if that review was written in the 70s or something, because I've been there many times and have never seen a chair, let alone chairs being thrown. The acoustics do leave something to be desired, but it sometimes depends on the band - I've seen the Pumpkins there twice and couldn't hear very well, but saw Ben Harper, the Strokes, and others and the sound was great.

All things considered, always choose a Saturday night in Chicago over Minneapolis.
Go to Top of Page

fishjaco
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  12:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The aragon sounds like a toilet. I wish it were anywhere else in the city.
Go to Top of Page

fishjaco
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  12:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still buying tickets though....bastards
Go to Top of Page

agoddard
- FB Fan -

13 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  10:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Distraught

Has anyone been to the Aragon Ballroom? I'm trying to decide between Roy Wilkin's in Minneapolis or The Aragon in Chicago and just wondering what the better venue would be. Here's an unflattering review I read about the Aragon.

"Pillars and other fancy, imposing facades decorate the outskirts of the ballroom floor. Conspicuous mexican plaza motif. Cool fake stars against an eerily lit ceiling simulate the night sky, though. Beer comes in flimsy paper cups, so watch out! Pretty bad acoustics, and the Aragon has earned its nickname -- the "Brawlroom" -- because, among other things, of the folding chairs used for rock shows and their habit of leaving their original locations."

I've been to two shows at the Aragon: White Stripes and Gorillaz. The acoustics aren't the worst ever, but they're not the greatest either. Gorillaz, where I was standing, didn't sound good at all. The White Stripes sounded fine (to my untrained ears).

There weren't folding chairs at either of the shows I've been to at that venue. That would be stupid. Dunno about the beer cups sucking or anything.

I like the Metro a little more, but the Aragon's not terrible.
Go to Top of Page

brysonmeunier
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  10:34:40  Show Profile  Visit brysonmeunier's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone know when these officially sold out? I got mine, and most of my friends are covered, but some are still getting shut out.

Have many friends in town who dig the Pixies, so there are likely no extras, unfortunately. But I'll notify the fans if something opens up.

Rock,

Bryson
Founder/Proprietor/Vitiator
- the HEY cafe -
http://www.arnoldjacksontheband.com/pixies.htm
Go to Top of Page

agoddard
- FB Fan -

13 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  10:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brysonmeunier

Anyone know when these officially sold out? I got mine, and most of my friends are covered, but some are still getting shut out.

Have many friends in town who dig the Pixies, so there are likely no extras, unfortunately. But I'll notify the fans if something opens up.

I managed to get three for myself and my roommates after about ten minutes of trying (immediately after they went up).

If your friends are getting shut out, maybe they could try the two new dates just added? The Pixies are now playing a three-night stand at the Aragon, according to TicketMaster.
Go to Top of Page

brysonmeunier
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  11:00:04  Show Profile  Visit brysonmeunier's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not a huge surprise, but they just added two new Chicago shows: 11/14 and 11/15. Get them if you can.

Bryson
Founder/Proprietor/Vitiator
- the HEY cafe -
http://www.arnoldjacksontheband.com/pixies.htm
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  11:43:59  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See you at the Sunday show!!!! Holy sh*t, I am excited!
We used to live about 4 blocks away from the Aragon. I can't believe we got tickets, 'cause I had totally blanked it out today, but luckily there were new dates added.
It's a very nice venue, too- perfect setting! No concrete floors to kill your feet - apparently the floor is made of bent wood and a subfloor of cork - made just for dancin'. For anyone unfamiliar, there is a shockwave tour and history (built in the 1920s Al Capone days) here: http://www.aragon.com/

I sure do miss Chicago, though it sucked to live downtown. That is going to be an incredible weekend....

If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary. -Samuel Clemens
Go to Top of Page

klikger
= Cult of Ray =

693 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  12:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got Sunday tix too. Scared me when Saturday's were sold out so quickly. Then I saw a hyperlink for a show just added on 8/8/08 in East Rutherford, NJ. I clicked on that and it brought up the Sunday Chicago page. Weird.
Go to Top of Page

fishjaco
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  13:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note...

the folding chairs are upstairs in the back
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: