Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

song oracle
- FB Fan -

88 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  05:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today's random song of the day is Headache.

What do you think of it?

lyrics
This wrinkle in time, I can''t give it no credit
I thought about my space and I really got me down
(got me down)

Got me so down, I got me a headache
My heart is crammed in my cranium
And it still knows how to pound

I was counting the rings
And I fell me into sleep
I peeked to see if you were way back when

I was counting the trees
Until a day when there was one
I''d hoped beneath, asleep is where that you had been

(got me down)

Well, I found you
Maybe you can help me
And I can help you

(got me down)

(got me down)

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  05:41:20  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
even though everyone seemed to love it, and it was his big song... i never really liked it, until about half a year ago. i love TOTY, but was never too keen on headache. took me ages to get into it. which is strange as it seems to be the song most people like who haven't heard much frank. but yes, fantastic song!

The Shrine of the Sea Monkey!
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  06:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
absolutely incredible, fantastic song. maybe my all-time favourite. no matter how i feel, everytime i hear it, i can forget about everything else around me. seeing him performing it live last year made me almost cry.
this stands in one row with freedom rock, abstract plain, los angeles, robert onion, maybe the marsist and cult of ray - true fb-classics, which i could listen to endlessly.
frank, thank you especially for this one.

Death to the Pixies / Here comes Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  06:23:47  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the first song of FB i ever heard when i saw the video on tv all those years ago.
thought it was pretty damn cool, but didn't make the connection till probably 2 years later.

is a goddan, but he has many better.
but was very nice to hear live recently.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  06:28:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is one of the songs I use to introduce people to FB, even though it does tire fairly quickly.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  06:38:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The vocals sound somewhat out of tune with the guitars

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  07:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like it but IMO there are many better songs on TOTY. I prefer the NYC (acoustic) version.

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"
Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  09:23:12  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I remember hearing this on the radio first, the DJ announced the new FB song and I thought he'd made a mistake, played the wrong record.It didn't sound like Frank. I was relieved to hear some loud guitars when I got TOTY, Headache grew on me with time. I think it is a good song on a briliant album.

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  09:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love this one, its possibly my favourite FB track live, it always goes down well.

I especially like the line, "my heart is crammed in my cranium, and it still knows how to pound." Its really simple, but very clever, songwriting genius I reckon.

"Join The Cult Of Wormy Cheese Man/In Ten Words Or Less"
Go to Top of Page

George42
- FB Fan -

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  12:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with 'two reelers'. this song puts me in another place. this was the one song that turned me from fan to avid, obsessed fan. granted its poppy and was played on the radio but whatever, the song is great and i never tire of it. a classic. i don't like it live that much actually. it sounds just ok plus he seems to drop an F-bomb or two when singing the chorus which i think isn't necessary
Go to Top of Page

George42
- FB Fan -

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  12:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with 'two reelers'. this song puts me in another place. this was the one song that turned me from fan to avid, obsessed fan. granted its poppy and was played on the radio but whatever, the song is great and i never tire of it. a classic. i don't like it live that much actually. it sounds just ok plus he seems to drop an F-bomb or two when singing the chorus which i think isn't necessary
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  12:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good song, definitely not one of my favorites. I like the live versions where he says "got me a fuckin' headache!" It just adds so much more emotion to it. Isn't this about a book or something called "A wrinkle in Time"?

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  14:03:10  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Every time I play this song I wish the song started with 'got me so down...'
Just love to sing that line.

The end of the song is even better, when he sings it a little higher, with more emotion.
Haven't listend to this one in a few years, buit since he plays it live again, i rediscovered it.

I'm bored with the valleys and bored by the peaks. So I bought a ticket to the freaks
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  14:03:49  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
"A Wrinkle in Time" is a book by Madeline L'Engle, the title referring to travel through the fifth dimension, something that might well have interested Frank, especially in the Bossanova through Cult of Ray era. I think I might have heard somewhere that Frank's reference might have been through another use of the phrase, though.

This is possibly the first song on TOTY (my first Frank album) that really grabbed me. I wouldn't say it's my favorite now, but it definitely holds up.

Join the Culf of Buttoms / Correctly spelled cults are so passé.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  16:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
love the song and love the video! classic frank when he's cutting up the pain pill with the chainsaw. wish frank would make another video some day.

after i saw the video i thought it was a song about finding love.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

humpy-wheeler
- FB Fan -

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  00:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll sit through it but it ain't so great imo. It's got one of them annoying parts when the last chorus goes up an octave just like a Faith Hill song or something. Pretty predictable. The lyrics are slightly better than Mrs. Hill's though!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  03:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's kinda pretty good/okay depending on how I feel. The video is cool, I love the Jason Voorhees-with-chainsaw bit!

CARL.

"-JOIN ME!!"
Go to Top of Page

Gav Williams
- FB Fan -

South Africa
5 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  05:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My memory of Headache was with a friend who wasn't really into Frank, and like someone said earlier it's an instant favourite with non-FB fans for some reason. We were on holiday and he kept asking me to play that song..."y'know the one that starts 'It's Wriggling Time!'". It took me a while to figure out what the hell he meant having heard the song so much and being so into the lyrics. Bit of a laugh to this day. Just shout randomly "Hey you fuckin' kids, it's wriggling tiiiiime!" It's stayed a bit of a crowd pleaser over the years so it's probably not my favourite, I'm fucking underground me. Loved the cover for the single, all bright pink with that silver circle over his face in the Teenager garb and crown. Classic.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  07:56:55  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a good, solid song. Not one of Frank's best, but I can definitely see why it would be a turn-on point for new fans. It has elements that make Frank the shit, but also possesses an accessibility that can reach new listeners.

It has, like many other people have said, grown on me over time. I used to kind of skip it over on TOTY for a while, but I don't any more. I also prefer the live version...though I think the reason Frank "drops the f-bomb" during live versions is the grueling high-note that is held when the key shifts up. He sometimes can't pull it off, and it probably irks him (;
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  11:06:50  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is there anywhere I can watch the video?

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  13:31:52  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not his best song, but it's catchy, good and solid. I think VoVat can download the video from the FTP.

Join the Cult of Pi - It's just 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097....
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  14:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, the video! I LOVE IT!

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  07:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's just a good, upbeat rock song. And catchy, too.

"(insert clever quote here)"
Go to Top of Page

hec
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  10:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great song,great album,the mans a god
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  11:02:42  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love the "my heart is crammed in my cranium" line. That is a bit of Franks song writing genius in my opinion. Anyway, I love this song. If I had a friend who hadn't heard anything Frank, this might be one (of many!) I would play for them. It's just so catchy.

Edited by - ramona on 04/05/2004 11:05:13
Go to Top of Page

moon ruler
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  11:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's one more big yeah for headache!
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  23:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's wierd. When I was about 14 or 15, my bro-in-law had introduced me to the Pixies with "Dig For Fire" and "Winterlong." I had heard "Headache" on the radio quite a bit, but for the longest time I never made the connection. Then, the DJ said, "...that was Frank Black, formerly of the Pixies," and I was like, "Holy shit! I am indeed a retard." That was when I started checking out FB's solo stuff, TOTY was first, followed shortly after by his first album. (They were also playing "Los Angeles" from the debut album on the radio back then.)

Take me, break me, tell me a good one and maybe I'll cry

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  04:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A highlight and little gem in the rock that is Teenager. Loved it when I first heard, just for its simplicity. So many hooks, love the lyrics, the theme, don't like headaches though. Love the key change and Franks singing.

I sometimes now listen for a few seconds but skip, because I've heard it so many times, still not played to death, but if I wanna hear it, it's hear in my head whenever I want. Like a lullaby. ahh.

The only thing, when done live i've heard some bloody awful back up vocals, you know, the "headaches".
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  19:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2nd resurrection from the dead.

i'm always fascinated thinking about what frank is writing about. i saw a movie last night on love and time travel and got me thinking above this song. then i started to think about the song "everytime i go around here"

this is from the song database

Quotes:
"A love song moving through space time."
- Frank, from the Frank Black album press kit

(as an aside anyone know where to go to see the info from the album press kit for the orange album and toty?)

so i was thinking that maybe headache is a continuation of this theme. i always thought headache was a song about someone looking for love. "My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound......I was counting the trees Until a day when there was one I’d hoped beneath, asleep is where that you had been Well, I found you Maybe you can help me And I can help you."

and then i remember reading that headache is really a reference to the book "A wrinkle in time". thanks vovat!

quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

"A Wrinkle in Time" is a book by Madeline L'Engle, the title referring to travel through the fifth dimension, something that might well have interested Frank, especially in the Bossanova through Cult of Ray era.

i've never read the book. read some comments on amazon and it sounds really good- a classic. supposedly a science fiction book about space, time travel, love, and mystery. anyone read it? it's now on my book list. so i thought that was pretty cool. the song is starting to make more sense. but then i was reading this on amazon about a "wrinkle in time",

"The book also contains one of the most beautiful descriptions of human life that I've ever heard. Mrs. Whatsit compares life to a sonnet:

It is a very strict form of poetry is it not?

There are fourteen lines, I believe, all in iambic pentameter. That's a very strict rhythm or meter, yes?

And each line has to end with a rigid rhyme pattern. And if the poet does not do it exactly this way, it is not a sonnet, is it?

Calvin: You mean you're comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?

and the last part of speedy marie, the song right before headache, is a sonnet!! holy shit. i am not worthy.

(i read about the sonnet reference in speedy marie before on this site.)

Edited by - fumanbru on 02/04/2005 19:13:19
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  22:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dig the song! great great great...It's the one FB song that my non-FB listening friend digs...
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  22:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Karoke song!

Sang it at my birthday, great chorus, had the place rockin!

Easy introduction song for new Frank Black listeners (and Karoke singers, try it).
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  08:02:02  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a great song and you all know it. I'm going to put it on now I think. I'm feeling boppy.

Go to Top of Page

JustJeff
- FB Fan -

53 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  08:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's a straight ahead pop rocker
btw speedie marie and Sir rockabye's
mellower sensitive sides.
Good middle of the road song to keep the set from
dragging, great set up for
freedom rock and two reelers later on.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  09:26:21  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
and the last part of speedy marie, the song right before headache, is a sonnet!!

It is? I know it's an acrostic, but I don't think it follows sonnet form. The end of "The Happening" IS in sonnet form, though.

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  16:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

quote:
and the last part of speedy marie, the song right before headache, is a sonnet!!

It is? I know it's an acrostic, but I don't think it follows sonnet form. The end of "The Happening" IS in sonnet form, though.

"Reunion? Shit union!"

i didn't know the end of the "Happening" is a sonnet. you learn something new about Frank each day. and yes the end of speedie marie is a sonnet- a shakespearean sonnet. it's a 14 line poem in iambic pentameter with a carefully patterned rhyme scheme. and the rhyming scheme goes ABAB CDCD. and i was also reading on sonnet central by the time you read the end of the sonnet you should have discovered something new about the subject or should see it in a different light. hence- jean marie walsh! brilliant! i think i will start a new thread praising the beauty of speedy marie.

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  02:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To resume the discussion

HEADACHE: Frank Black's first and only RADIO SINGLE.

You'd better sign my Non-Alignement Pact
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000