-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Song of the Day: Headache

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
song oracle Posted - 03/31/2004 : 05:14:06
Today's random song of the day is Headache.

What do you think of it?

lyrics
This wrinkle in time, I can''t give it no credit
I thought about my space and I really got me down
(got me down)

Got me so down, I got me a headache
My heart is crammed in my cranium
And it still knows how to pound

I was counting the rings
And I fell me into sleep
I peeked to see if you were way back when

I was counting the trees
Until a day when there was one
I''d hoped beneath, asleep is where that you had been

(got me down)

Well, I found you
Maybe you can help me
And I can help you

(got me down)

(got me down)
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 05/30/2013 : 17:07:07
No.
simibaby Posted - 05/30/2013 : 06:44:15
Wow. Do you realize the last post (prior to today) on this boring topic was SIX years ago?
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 05/29/2013 : 18:46:33
Any digital copies of NYC Version?
Crackity Craig Posted - 06/19/2007 : 12:53:15
Heres a photo of the back of the UK 7" Single.

Listing John Tiven as producer & additional backing vocals by Sally Tiven!!

langdonboom Posted - 06/19/2007 : 11:12:16
Aiff - excellent. Very very cool - thank you very much. I doubt if I'm in a position to send you anything frank you don't have, but don't hesitate to ask!
fbc Posted - 06/19/2007 : 11:09:57
It's AIFF file (30mb). I'll send you an email with a link to it asap.

The only NYC version I know that's on a Headache single is the vinyl you've linked to at ebay.
langdonboom Posted - 06/19/2007 : 11:02:50
That would be excellent, though completist that I am I will still search... gemm.com has a few "headache" singles but they don't say if its the ones I already have or the one with NYC version on it.

In anycase, yes, thank you! What form do you have the song in? Feel free to email me or whatever you can do. Thanks again.
fbc Posted - 06/19/2007 : 10:59:05
Do you want me to upload it for you? DONE
langdonboom Posted - 06/19/2007 : 10:55:36
Dang. I gotta find that. I think it is actually the only FB song I don't have.

Teenager came out before I started buying the Japanese versions, am I correct to assume that this bonus CD was Japan-only? Thanks FBC.
fbc Posted - 06/19/2007 : 10:48:57
quote:
Originally posted by langdonboom

Can anybody tell me if this was vinyl only release of if Headache (NYC Version) was released on CD, too?

Headache (NYC) was released on a Teenager of the Year bonus cd along with Hate Me and Amnesia. A grey disc with not much going on but the immortal words "Frank Black" and song titles. The TOTY inlay remained the same. Good luck tracking the 2 disc TOTY.

I can upload the NYC version for you. I don't know of anywhere you can buy it where the cash goes to fB.
langdonboom Posted - 06/19/2007 : 10:44:49
Maybe you can help me... and I can help you?

Its all good. I expect a little snark on my webboards!
coastline Posted - 06/19/2007 : 10:13:29
Apologies for my rude post, L-boom. Feel free to cram something in my cranium.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
langdonboom Posted - 06/19/2007 : 05:37:31
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

quote:

You know what, I thought I had all the Headache singles -- but I don't think I have this "acoustic Headache" version. I have the two headache singles mentioned above two years ago, but can anyone direct me to a link to a pic or track listing for this one Tiven mentions with an acoustic "Headache" on it from the UK? And what does the 2-disc Teenager look like, does anyone have it?

Is there anywhere else that this acoustic "headache" exists? Hmm...

EDIT TO ADD: okay, this is the fabled "Headache NYC Version"... I must find this.

EDIT TO ADD 2: I'm having a conversation with myself here, but its getting me somewhere...!

So I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANK-BLACK-Headache-7-PS-unplayed-99p-START-PIXIES_W0QQitemZ260128074992QQihZ016QQcategoryZ45541QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Can anybody tell me if this was vinyl only release of if Headache (NYC Version) was released on CD, too?

This post gives me a headache.

Got me down.....
coastline Posted - 06/18/2007 : 19:45:34
quote:

You know what, I thought I had all the Headache singles -- but I don't think I have this "acoustic Headache" version. I have the two headache singles mentioned above two years ago, but can anyone direct me to a link to a pic or track listing for this one Tiven mentions with an acoustic "Headache" on it from the UK? And what does the 2-disc Teenager look like, does anyone have it?

EDIT TO ADD: okay, this is the fabled "Headache NYC Version"... I must find this.

EDIT TO ADD 2: I'm having a conversation with myself here, but its getting me somewhere...!

So I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANK-BLACK-Headache-7-PS-unplayed-99p-START-PIXIES_W0QQitemZ260128074992QQihZ016QQcategoryZ45541QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

This post gives me a headache.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
langdonboom Posted - 06/18/2007 : 17:55:57

So I found this on ebay:

frank black conspiracy Posted - 02/09/2005 : 10:57:38
There are copies floating around the usual places here in cyber space. But don't forget to check the b'sides for the track.
The two i have include 'Men In Black/At The End Of The World/Oddball' and 'Hate Me/This Is Where I Belong/Amnesia'.
olympus mons Posted - 02/09/2005 : 05:39:43
Where can i get that single from? Has it been Deleted?

into the mountains i will fall.
Jontiven Posted - 02/09/2005 : 05:18:01
When I say the single I am speaking of the b side of the UK single.

Americans have been denied the full catalogue.

I hope that clarifies.

best,
JT
frank black conspiracy Posted - 02/08/2005 : 17:38:38
Is it? I didn't know.
The two 'Headache' singles I've heard both sound like the TOTY version.

Like you say, there are a few permutations out there.
Jontiven Posted - 02/08/2005 : 16:32:33
That is the same version that's on the single.

best,
JT
frank black conspiracy Posted - 02/08/2005 : 05:51:50
quote:
Originally posted by olympus mons

I love HEADACHE, but the backing vocals are a bit annoying. Is there an acoustic version out there?

The only other version i've heard is Headache (NYC) on TOTY's second disc
Cheeseman1000 Posted - 02/08/2005 : 04:44:28
Cheers JT!

I'll look into it...

"What sounds to you like a big load of trashy noise, is in fact the brilliant music of a genius"
Jontiven Posted - 02/08/2005 : 04:43:26
I believe I'm being summoned once again.

The UK single has several b-sides (and there are a few permutations of the single itself), and one of them is an acoustic version of "Headache" recorded at the session that spawned "Oddball," "Men In Black," etc. Yes I produced it, so I should know.

best,
JT
olympus mons Posted - 02/08/2005 : 03:28:51
I love HEADACHE, but the backing vocals are a bit annoying. Is there an acoustic version out there?

into the mountains i will fall.
hWolsky Posted - 02/08/2005 : 02:23:54
To resume the discussion

HEADACHE: Frank Black's first and only RADIO SINGLE.

You'd better sign my Non-Alignement Pact
fumanbru Posted - 02/05/2005 : 16:29:22
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

quote:
and the last part of speedy marie, the song right before headache, is a sonnet!!

It is? I know it's an acrostic, but I don't think it follows sonnet form. The end of "The Happening" IS in sonnet form, though.

"Reunion? Shit union!"

i didn't know the end of the "Happening" is a sonnet. you learn something new about Frank each day. and yes the end of speedie marie is a sonnet- a shakespearean sonnet. it's a 14 line poem in iambic pentameter with a carefully patterned rhyme scheme. and the rhyming scheme goes ABAB CDCD. and i was also reading on sonnet central by the time you read the end of the sonnet you should have discovered something new about the subject or should see it in a different light. hence- jean marie walsh! brilliant! i think i will start a new thread praising the beauty of speedy marie.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
VoVat Posted - 02/05/2005 : 09:26:21
quote:
and the last part of speedy marie, the song right before headache, is a sonnet!!

It is? I know it's an acrostic, but I don't think it follows sonnet form. The end of "The Happening" IS in sonnet form, though.

"Reunion? Shit union!"
JustJeff Posted - 02/05/2005 : 08:07:50
it's a straight ahead pop rocker
btw speedie marie and Sir rockabye's
mellower sensitive sides.
Good middle of the road song to keep the set from
dragging, great set up for
freedom rock and two reelers later on.
starmekitten Posted - 02/05/2005 : 08:02:02
It's a great song and you all know it. I'm going to put it on now I think. I'm feeling boppy.

OldManInaCoffeeCan Posted - 02/04/2005 : 22:28:32
Great Karoke song!

Sang it at my birthday, great chorus, had the place rockin!

Easy introduction song for new Frank Black listeners (and Karoke singers, try it).
tobafett Posted - 02/04/2005 : 22:01:08
Dig the song! great great great...It's the one FB song that my non-FB listening friend digs...
fumanbru Posted - 02/04/2005 : 19:04:45
2nd resurrection from the dead.

i'm always fascinated thinking about what frank is writing about. i saw a movie last night on love and time travel and got me thinking above this song. then i started to think about the song "everytime i go around here"

this is from the song database

Quotes:
"A love song moving through space time."
- Frank, from the Frank Black album press kit

(as an aside anyone know where to go to see the info from the album press kit for the orange album and toty?)

so i was thinking that maybe headache is a continuation of this theme. i always thought headache was a song about someone looking for love. "My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound......I was counting the trees Until a day when there was one I’d hoped beneath, asleep is where that you had been Well, I found you Maybe you can help me And I can help you."

and then i remember reading that headache is really a reference to the book "A wrinkle in time". thanks vovat!

quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

"A Wrinkle in Time" is a book by Madeline L'Engle, the title referring to travel through the fifth dimension, something that might well have interested Frank, especially in the Bossanova through Cult of Ray era.

Join the Culf of Buttoms / Correctly spelled cults are so passé.

i've never read the book. read some comments on amazon and it sounds really good- a classic. supposedly a science fiction book about space, time travel, love, and mystery. anyone read it? it's now on my book list. so i thought that was pretty cool. the song is starting to make more sense. but then i was reading this on amazon about a "wrinkle in time",

"The book also contains one of the most beautiful descriptions of human life that I've ever heard. Mrs. Whatsit compares life to a sonnet:

It is a very strict form of poetry is it not?

There are fourteen lines, I believe, all in iambic pentameter. That's a very strict rhythm or meter, yes?

And each line has to end with a rigid rhyme pattern. And if the poet does not do it exactly this way, it is not a sonnet, is it?

Calvin: You mean you're comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?

and the last part of speedy marie, the song right before headache, is a sonnet!! holy shit. i am not worthy.

(i read about the sonnet reference in speedy marie before on this site.)

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
frank black conspiracy Posted - 12/07/2004 : 04:21:49
A highlight and little gem in the rock that is Teenager. Loved it when I first heard, just for its simplicity. So many hooks, love the lyrics, the theme, don't like headaches though. Love the key change and Franks singing.

I sometimes now listen for a few seconds but skip, because I've heard it so many times, still not played to death, but if I wanna hear it, it's hear in my head whenever I want. Like a lullaby. ahh.

The only thing, when done live i've heard some bloody awful back up vocals, you know, the "headaches".
glacial906 Posted - 04/05/2004 : 23:13:16
It's wierd. When I was about 14 or 15, my bro-in-law had introduced me to the Pixies with "Dig For Fire" and "Winterlong." I had heard "Headache" on the radio quite a bit, but for the longest time I never made the connection. Then, the DJ said, "...that was Frank Black, formerly of the Pixies," and I was like, "Holy shit! I am indeed a retard." That was when I started checking out FB's solo stuff, TOTY was first, followed shortly after by his first album. (They were also playing "Los Angeles" from the debut album on the radio back then.)

Take me, break me, tell me a good one and maybe I'll cry

moon ruler Posted - 04/05/2004 : 11:07:15
here's one more big yeah for headache!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000