Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  20:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...pretty good, eh?... Both of them.

Just wondering, since I've been growng tired of trying to keep up with the Pixies' tour dates and such. I also reckon, that this is a
Frank Black forum.

From "Village of the Sun" to "Man of Constant Sorrow", back to "Man of Steel". It's all incredible. "Pan American Highway", "Humboldt County Massacre", "Le Cigre Volant". Obviously, it goes on and on.

Anyways, just curious to see what everybody thinks...again...sorry.

~~Polly-ann drove steel like a man~~

Edited by - martha_promise on 03/11/2004 10:39:08

George42
- FB Fan -

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  09:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where can i get a copy of ssmvgd??? i have not heard any songs of it.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  11:48:13  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you post a thread asking for SSMVGD, I'm sure one of the kind souls on this forum would be willing to burn/mail you a copy. After all, that's how I got mine.

------------------------
The blue pill opens your eyes
Is there a better way?
A new religion prescribed to those without the faith

http://www.psychictwin.com
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  13:17:57  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they're definitely both cool. "Pan American Highway" is one of Frank's best songs, I'd say. Nothing on Oddballs ranks that highly for me, but it's still cool.

Join the Culf of Buttoms / It's the Alerican way.
Go to Top of Page

MMD
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  15:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can find it quite easily on soulseek.

“Not since Orson Welles had one man so many fingers in so many pies, and been the chef as well. And then looked like he went and ate them all. The guy was out of control.”
Go to Top of Page

HashWax
- FB Fan -

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  23:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SSMVGD? what the hells that?
sorry, i havent been here in a while.....

*brandon
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  00:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HashWax

SSMVGD? what the hells that?
sorry, i havent been here in a while.....

*brandon

From the FAQ section:

SUNDAY SUNNY MILL VALLEY GROOVE DAY (SSMVGD) refers to an unreleased set of ten tracks that Frank recorded with the Catholics in San Francisco in 2000. Frank wasn't completely happy with how the sessions sounded and decided against a commercial release. He handed a few copies out at shows and they were eventually posted to the Internet by fans. There was no cover art; the original CDs were white with a track listing on the back of the case. Track listing is as follows:

01 - Constant Sorrow Man
02 - Pan American Highway
03 - Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day (Doug Sahm)
04 - Humboldt County Massacre
05 - Angst
06 - Sleep (Donovan)
07 - Sister Isabel (Del Shannon)
08 - Le Cigre Volant
09 - I Will Run After You
10 - His Kingly Cave

All songs were released at some point, some previous to the San Francisco sessions and some subsequent, mostly as b-sides. Three songs are covers, as indicated above.

At present, SSMVGD has not been uploaded to FrankBlack.net's FTP site because Frank's permission is still pending. The best bet for obtaining a copy of SSMVGD is to make contact some kind CD-trading soul on the message board who is willing to either trade or do a B&P (blanks and postage) deal.

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  01:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All of the songs from SSMVGD have been released?

Surely not? Well, at least not the same versions, His Kingly Cave, Le Cigare Volant, I will Run etc.

Do I get a cat??

Hatchetman
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  01:51:57  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I did I did I did

Hatchetman
Go to Top of Page

Cabonga
- FB Fan -

Antigua and Barbuda
53 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  05:09:19  Show Profile  Visit Cabonga's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any Londoners here who can give advise about a record store i London which sells FB-stuff like ssmgvd? I've got the FB-albums, but lack singles and other things. Maybe there's a special Frank Black Music Store in London?

Die Harder
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  08:29:37  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cabonga

Any Londoners here who can give advise about a record store i London which sells FB-stuff like ssmgvd? I've got the FB-albums, but lack singles and other things. Maybe there's a special Frank Black Music Store in London?

Die Harder

I'm not a Londoner, but I can assure you that you won't find SSMVGD in any record store (if you did, I'd be very very surprised and I don't think Frank would be too happy about it.)
It's an unofficial demo of some sessions the Catholics did a while back..never officially released, it is more of an "official bootleg" than anything else.

------------------------
The blue pill opens your eyes
Is there a better way?
A new religion prescribed to those without the faith

http://www.psychictwin.com
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  08:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you guys can help me. I have a song I downloaded called "Track 21"
The song is full of enery with lyrics of "Comma Comma Comma....Hey girls, gather 'round"
Starts out with the bass guitar. It's a cover song, I think

What's the title?

...though he loved to rock and roll...
Go to Top of Page

blues_punk
- FB Fan -

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  18:20:28  Show Profile  Visit blues_punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your "track 21" is "track 1" on the Frank Black and Teenage Fanclub John Peel BBC sessions CD (four song EP). It's a cover of a song called "Handyman." You can still find it around.

invictus maneo
Go to Top of Page

GavinCleaver
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  22:14:55  Show Profile  Click to see GavinCleaver's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If anyone here could burn me a copy of SSMVGD, I'd probably donate my house to them.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  05:30:53  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GavinCleaver

If anyone here could burn me a copy of SSMVGD, I'd probably donate my house to them.

Donate your SOUL, and we have a deal!!

just kidding

e-mail me and we can work something out...if you don't mind a burn of a burn, that is.
Go to Top of Page

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  22:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ssmvgd is good, but i dont think its great. good that he didnt release it
sounds sort of half cut

and it blows my mind that people think that this is a superior version fo his kingly cave

please!

"I could take a walk and really wonder, really wonder"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000