pjcoble
- FB Fan -

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  14:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this on the pixiesmusic.com site, and thought it was kind of interesting:

Wednesday, March, 3rd, 2004
The Strokes on possible Pixies collaboration
In a recent interview, Albert from The Strokes hints that there may be a possible future collaboration with the Pixies. "I don't know - I know that we're lucky enough to be playing with The Pixies, which is a dream come true really, and who knows, maybe something happens with the band, but you know it's more fun to be spontaneous with that, maybe it happens like a surprise and not anything that's said before, you know!"

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  14:15:22  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can't quite understand what it is he's trying to say in that quote.
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  14:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh?When are the strokes playing with the pixies?I can't really see a collaboration happening here,i mean really,the strokes are shite.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / 28:06:42:12"
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  14:53:59  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It'll be T In The Park in June.
Also, fair enough, that quote doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

"Join the cult of scone/And succumb tothe power of the cream tea"
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  15:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh right,T in the park,that may be my only chance to see the pixies...[insert sad face]

Go to Top of Page

MrSelfDestruct
- FB Fan -

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  15:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShakeyShake

Eh?When are the strokes playing with the pixies?I can't really see a collaboration happening here,i mean really,the strokes are shite.

really...you think the stroke are shite? no where near the genius of the pixies but i like em.
Go to Top of Page

Domestiques
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
503 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  21:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all it is is the nme's tired tabloid journalism. Best to ignore them.

------------------------
“I want to be a star!” I cried
They said, “You’re overqualified.
Why don’t you learn to tune your damn guitar?”
Go to Top of Page

DeBased
- FB Fan -

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  22:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the 'reformed' Pixies haven't performed in public together yet, or recorded anything new together yet (to our knowledge), why would they be talking about collaborating with anyone? I like the Strokes, but they're not in the same league as the Pixies.

the method...of stop tap spin, no talkin'...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  01:24:24  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The strokes did collaborated with Guided By Voices.
If this means the pixies will be in the new Strokes video drinking beer and playing games
the only thing I can say is: they have my blessings.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  01:32:28  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone still listen to the Strokes anyway? This band is dead and gone, and that's a good thing.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  02:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Strokes have nothing in common with the Pixies or FB in my opinion - what next the Sterophonics to make a dub remix of Debaser? I'm afraid we will have to put up more name-checking by C-List bands in the months ahead (Yes, that means you Placebo and Interpol)
Go to Top of Page

winnipegwantsfrank
- FB Fan -

83 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  08:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say that the Strokes collaborated with GBV... GBV just appeared in one of their videos
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  12:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct

quote:

really...you think the stroke are shite? no where near the genius of the pixies but i like em.

Well each to their own really,its all opinion but im of the opinion that they're a tad boring and monotonous

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  15:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first Strokes album was good.......................for a while.

And then Jet released it again!

wade on!
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  16:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I HOPE HOPE PRAY AND HOPE the PIXIES have nothing to do with the strokes in any way.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  18:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would the Pixies ever stoop that low?

The Strokes are a no-one-will-know-of-us-in-5-years, one-hit wonder band (or maybe they had two hits; I'll give them that).

Even if you like the Strokes, I see no reason to want them to collaborate with the Pixies.

This too shall pass.

Join the Devil's Workshop / Looking for idle hands to work second shift
Go to Top of Page

cindy lou
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  19:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you guys are weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  07:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's face it...no one will be worthy of opening for the Pixies. I hope they just give some local bands the honor, and make it the highlight of their century. They'll appreciate the opportunity.

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  11:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

Why would the Pixies ever stoop that low?

The Strokes are a no-one-will-know-of-us-in-5-years, one-hit wonder band (or maybe they had two hits; I'll give them that).

Even if you like the Strokes, I see no reason to want them to collaborate with the Pixies.

This too shall pass.

Join the Devil's Workshop / Looking for idle hands to work second shift

You yanks never got the Pixies like us British either. It aint just the NME that champion The Strokes, it's the British kids who know good music when they hear it. It's not in the same league as the Pixies no, but it' still good music. Especially the second album which beats the pants off the first IMO.
It's just cooler to knock The Strokes now than it is to admit to liking 'em (not accusing anyone here of that). Their backlash has started already. Oh how fickle music fans can be.

Anyway I very much doubt they will ever collaborate.

Oh and Sprite, don't ever lump Interpol and Placebo together. Placebo are decidedly average. Interpol are fantastic!!! Grrrr!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

Perk
- FB Fan -

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  19:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Strokes SUCK !
I think The White Stripes would be a better opening band.

Don't sweat the petty things
and don't pet the sweaty things
Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  21:47:03  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Strokes don't SUCK, but they're not great either. What's with all these bands like The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand and The Rapture though. The NME hype made me buy their cd's and I just cannot get myself to care much about any of it.

Edited by - offerw on 03/05/2004 21:48:29
Go to Top of Page

caitsith01
- FB Fan -

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  00:23:32  Show Profile  Visit caitsith01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The level of elitism here is disturbing... perhaps some overtones of 'my world stopped in 1991'? The Strokes are an excellent band, I would imagine anyone who is totally writing them off has either not really listened to their albums or been jaded by too much airplay for a couple of singles. Their songwriting is fantastic - stylistic quite concentrated, but within the limits they have selected very interesting. I have also heard their themes compared to Catcher in the Rye, and I would have to agree with this.

Get over yourselves and give them a real chance with no pre-judgement!
Go to Top of Page

gracie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  01:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hate the Strokes and i hope and pray they don't pester Frank when he is trying to work.
Besides i want unadulterated Pixies not the Pixies with some shit NME pet band.
Go to Top of Page

monitormodule
- FB Fan -

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  04:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well my fellow PiXie freaks-You are just gonna have to realize that the ones who we deem as "the ones" are very well discovered and have been. An original fan-american nonetheless-heard Debaser on a classic rock station yesterday. I was actually impressed, but also alittle disturbed, because I like to keep that from the normies and average! I'm 34 and have changed over the years with the type of music I am attracted to. I have always been guitar oriented on the musicI like, but lately I have been listening to Massive Attack and Stereolab -I dont know do we change music genre with age? I would have to say no-I think with age comes the ability to listen to what you want to without the pressure of otherpeople saying" yuck people know of them they suck-or they are a sell out-blah-blah-blah-I have really gotten a bad taste in my music loving mouth of all the newly created genres of music and have decided if its good its good period. I LOVE I MEAN LOVE the PIXIES , but they are no longer the secret you can hide with your one hitter and stash in your top drawer and expect noone to find them. I downloaded a strokes tune off of I tunes and I have to say I really enjoyed it-cant quit humming under my breath-I guess things do change with age-prime example look whats going on with the PiXiEs. Listen to what you want-just because the band wears argyle does not mean they are immune from the media monsters! With the means of media and internet , I am afraid that the little protected world of indie rock is dying-One last point (sorry have a lot to say this morning) Modest Mouse selling Nissan Mini Vans-think about it and listen to what your ear finds pleasing and disregard the tired verbage of other over impressionable people! good day
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  15:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Perk

The Strokes SUCK !

Now the white stripes really are a bad band

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  07:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!!!

There's just no hope for some people!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  12:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh and Sprite, don't ever lump Interpol and Placebo together. Placebo are decidedly average. Interpol are fantastic!!! Grrrr!!!

Hey Homer, maybe you missed it but my post was prefaced by the words 'In my opinion' and you having a hissy fit a'int gonna change it.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  12:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

Hey Homer, maybe you missed it but my post was prefaced by the words 'In my opinion' and you having a hissy fit a'int gonna change it.

Hey who shook your can Sprite???

I was kidding. I couldn't give a toss who you like or don't like. Chill out Sprite, you're best served cold!!!

Go to Top of Page

pudmeister
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  13:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate it when bands go on about collaborating with other bands.
I hope frank tells them to fuck off, he didnt reform the pixies to do collaborations, especially with some little prick from the strokes, the guys sounds like he's expecting them to play together!

"Looking through the eye of a pig I see it all" - Cypress Hill
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  10:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know him Pudmeister???

Must admit I am not too keen on collaborations in general either.

Edited by - Homers_pet_monkey on 03/08/2004 10:26:50
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  10:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hey who shook your can Sprite???

ee-hee-hee-hee!

"Join the cult of scone/And succumb to the power of the cream tea"
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  11:50:27  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No matter what's been said in this thread, I just need to say that the Strokes are nothing special and really are not what I would want to see paired with or supporting the Pixies.
Go to Top of Page

MrSelfDestruct
- FB Fan -

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  13:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Strokes SUCK !

all you people bashing the strokes or the whites stripes, i would really like to hear what other bands you guys listen to besides FB, pixies, breeders. the white stripes are a great band, amazing in concert. i just cant imagine people who have actually heard one of there albums not liking them.
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  15:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrSelfDestruct

quote:

quote:

The Strokes SUCK !

all you people bashing the strokes or the whites stripes, i would really like to hear what other bands you guys listen to besides FB, pixies, breeders

Well actually i have great taste in music,i like:
marylin manson(hes like soooo sexy)
aqua(c'mon,who didn't wanna be a barbie girl when that song came out?)
busted(absolutely fan-fucking-tastic guitar players,i love how they can get 3 completely different sounds out of a SINGLE chord!!)
limp bizkit(real rock music)
and all the other good bands you can think of

"I joined the Cult of this guy / 'cause they took my other picture away
Go to Top of Page

edwina
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  02:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caitsith01

The level of elitism here is disturbing... perhaps some overtones of 'my world stopped in 1991'? The Strokes are an excellent band, I would imagine anyone who is totally writing them off has either not really listened to their albums or been jaded by too much airplay for a couple of singles. Their songwriting is fantastic - stylistic quite concentrated, but within the limits they have selected very interesting. I have also heard their themes compared to Catcher in the Rye, and I would have to agree with this.

Get over yourselves and give them a real chance with no pre-judgement!

Yes, I totally agree: both the Strokes and the White Stripes are actually outstanding bands, and while I don't particularly support a collaboration of theirs with the Pixies, I think claiming they suck just because of the hype around them is incredibly short-sighted and narrow-minded.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  02:54:43  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edwina
Yes, I totally agree: both the Strokes and the White Stripes are actually outstanding bands, and while I don't particularly support a collaboration of theirs with the Pixies, I think claiming they suck just because of the hype around them is incredibly short-sighted and narrow-minded.

Who said that? I actually listened to the 1st Strokes album a couple of times, and seriously think they can't write a good song. They get on my nerves.
I do like the White Stripes though.

Denis
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000