Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 The first song in 12 years ... What is it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  18:19:53  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Pixies last played live on April 25th, 1992. When they step on stage in [insert city of current first show of tour here] on April [enter starting date of current "first show" here], they will play their first live song in 12 years.

What will that song be?

Edited by - porkbone1 on 03/12/2004 18:03:13

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  19:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that they'll warm us up with a couple lesser songs before really hitting the big stuff.

So my vote is Trompe Le Monde.
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  19:15:12  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My guesses are Caribou, Bone Machine or Rock Music.
Go to Top of Page

jvince
- FB Fan -

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  19:27:46  Show Profile  Click to see jvince's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Either Rock Music or Alison
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  20:24:51  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I originally thought they might start with Caribou because it was the first song on their first album... but it doesn't seem like their style to start with a relatively slow song. My theory is they will want the first song to be pretty popular to fire people up, then the 2nd song will kick everyone's ass.

The more I think about it, I wonder if it will be

1. Velouria
2. Alison
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  20:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bone Machine, definitely. And it will be an alphabetical-order setlist...
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  20:29:49  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I saw Frank Black & the Catholics last year he opened the show with Gouge Away and it was unbelievable. Don't know if he did the same set list in the same order every night...
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  20:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Where Have All The Good Times Gone?"

"Join the Cult of Will Hung / And have no regrets"
Go to Top of Page

brysonmeunier
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  21:07:58  Show Profile  Visit brysonmeunier's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by porkbone1

The Pixies last played live on April 25th, 1992. When they step on stage in Winnipeg on April 14th, 2004, they will play their first live song in 12 years.

What will that song be?

I think it will be "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" by the Darkness, and/or a smoky duet with Diana Ross.

But it's the Pixies' opinion that really matters here.

Nearly every live show I've heard they open with either Bone Machine, Debaser, Rock Music or Cecilia Ann. If I'm basing this on history I'd go with one of those. Or one of the first three, probably.

But if they did a duet with Diana Ross that would be even cooler. Pixies wouldn't be the Pixies if they were predictable.

Bryson
Founder/Proprietor/Vitiator
- the HEY cafe -
http://www.arnoldjacksontheband.com/pixies.htm
Go to Top of Page

Domestiques
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
503 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  21:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allison for my money.

------------------------
Still bitter.
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  21:43:27  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rock Music, mainly because Charles would open with that whenever he was really nervous. I think that the first show in 12 years could be a bit nerve-racking for Frank...

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  22:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I saw them they opened with Where Is My Mind.

So Caribou might not be out of the question ... I think that would be a great opener. We don't need a fast one to start out. People will be pumped no matter what. They could play "That's What Friends are For" by Dionne Warwick and people would mosh.
Go to Top of Page

Amazed
- FB Fan -

178 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  22:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazed :P
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3426 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  01:35:42  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
last song in '92 was U-Mass
i spose it's possible that'll be the first they'll play this time, but they're hardly a superstitious kind of band....but who knows.

they opened that same concert with letter to memphis.

but my guess would be for rock music or velouria.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

tigana
- FB Fan -

34 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  02:49:33  Show Profile  Visit tigana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would love them to start with broken face ; can u imagine it; acapella frank; the anticipation; david's 16thsl;heaven hahahahha
Go to Top of Page

nimrod_fr
- FB Fan -

France
93 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  03:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wild honey pie then river euphrates....

I bet on Debaser or Rock Music

Edited by - nimrod_fr on 02/25/2004 03:47:47
Go to Top of Page

Speedy Franky
- FB Fan -

France
45 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  04:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Rock Music would be the perfect electrochoc for opening the gig.
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  05:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rock Music!

(If they duet with Diana Ross, they could do The Happening...)

--
"I appreciate your being offended, but who gives a fuck? Where do I take my list of things I’m offended by? Is anybody accepting applications?" -- Bill Hicks
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  05:33:19  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought Debaser would be a possibility, first song on the album many people consider the "best"...

Another question. The recent Official Word said, "For the most part, they'll be doing Pixies tunes." I originally expected them to play ALL pixies tunes... but what do you think the chance they will play "Cannonball?" That would be quite a statement that the hatchet is truly buried.
Go to Top of Page

nimrods_son
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  05:41:02  Show Profile  Click to see nimrods_son's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bone Machine all the way.
Except if it's Rock Music (the first Pixies song I ever did hear, on an old H-Street video years ago. ~sniff~)

"I've got a broken face, ah-ha ah-ha ooh!"
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  06:53:08  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After we get lots of responses we should make a tally of votes, then after the show we will see if we were right. I think it is okay to vote more than once...
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  08:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debaser....definitely

I'm a fsh with no i's.
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  08:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would be very cool if they played Cannonball (or something from Pod when they still were a band), and I still believe he'll find a way to work Manitoba into the setlist....

Go to Top of Page

tert
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  08:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how bout crackity jones? that might induce a frenzy.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  08:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd bet Debaser as well
just a guess tho.
Go to Top of Page

havinganyfun
- FB Fan -

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  09:10:30  Show Profile  Click to see havinganyfun's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mr grieves would be a kick ass opener.

i am thinking rock music or debaser

give them blood and they'll love you for it
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  09:38:53  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What if the last European tour with the Catholics was a warm up tour for the Pixies warm up tour?

Then they will definitely play Caribou, Cactus, Monkey gone to heaven, Where is my mind? ,Nimrod's son, Velouria, which they played in Holland during the tour.
At least Frank remembers the lyrics from these songs...
But these are quite 'classic' Pixies songs, I prefer some more obscure ones between these, like Boom chick a boom or Dancing the Manta Ray

I'm bored with the valleys and bored by the peaks. So I bought a ticket to the freaks
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  10:01:27  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hope they play the Lady in the Radiotor song at some point during the set.
Go to Top of Page

raygun
- FB Fan -

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  10:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope the first word out of the PA is "Hey!" that'd be bitchen

"where have you been?"
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  11:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I hope they stay away from many of the songs that Frank has been playing with the Catholics. Not all of them, of course - cant really not play 'Where is my mind', for example.
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  11:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tame.

The Cult of Frank: 14 Wins in a row!! ..
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  11:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i hope they save debaser for the encore, they could open with planet of sound, that would "rock"
Go to Top of Page

One_Angry_Dwarf
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  12:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last time I saw Frank Black, he opened with "Where Is My Mind?", and that song is arguably their most popular, so it's a good candidate.

My money is on Cecilia Ann for opening song.

I'd love it to be Holiday Song (Frank Black played that at the last show I saw as well)

All Over The World at any part of the set will cause me to melt into a small puddle on the floor.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  13:23:24  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i read something where frank said he would play rock music first becuase he was nervous and it was a song he could just scream. i would think hed be even more nervous this time around with all the hoopla, so my vote would be for rock music

-miked
Go to Top of Page

George42
- FB Fan -

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  13:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
debaser or alison.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  14:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mdisanto

i read something where frank said he would play rock music first becuase he was nervous and it was a song he could just scream. i would think hed be even more nervous this time around with all the hoopla, so my vote would be for rock music

-miked

In that case Wild Honey Pie would be a good choice also. Pretty much screaming all the way and it would be pretty easy to play I would imagine. It certainly kicks off the Pixies At The BBC brilliantly. Would he open with a cover after all this time though?

When I saw Frank last year he opened with Velouria but I'd be surprised if he opened with that.

I don't think we have a clue really!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000