PIXIES - Your old newspaper clippings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  07:31:18  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Anyone else have very old newspaper clipping that they can scan and share. I'd love to read them.

I've had this mag since 1988 and enjoy picking up every now and then to read it. I posted these pictures along time ago on yahoo groups, but never on here.

Click the link to see the big version of the article. I made it huge so you can read it from the monitor if you don't have a printer. I hate to read scanned copies from a monitor so printing would be better.

East Coast Rocker cover
Page 1Page 2Page 3

Top 100 week of July 13, 1988. Pixies peeked at number 3 with Surfer Rosa on June 3rd.

my friends band

Having the magazine in the first place was accidental, but still having it after all these years is not. My friends band, Silk and Satin, was playing at a place in New Jersey called Sneekers and I needed it to know where the venue was. He gave me the magazine. After seeing his band play I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't like it or their name, but I saved the magazine anyway and soon after the Pixies were in my life for good.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"

Edited by - Thomas on 03/10/2004 18:23:21

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  07:34:08  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know a writer of a certain pixies/fb book that would be happy to read this

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  07:40:21  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice!
i've got a few, but i don't have a scanner....

i like that picture on the top of page 3!
i have this HUGE (2m x 1m) doolittle poster with that covering the bottom third...
one of my most prized possessions

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  11:00:43  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thomas-

you da fuckin' man.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  07:45:37  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is a great idea. I have some and I'll try to get them up here ASAP.

Alienation confers freedom. Obscurity will keep you pure. Pray that you won’t be discovered young, so that you won’t be tempted to sell out early, or won’t be seduced by celebrity.

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  10:55:35  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have an old interview from 1990 in NME with Black Francis. I'll try to scan it in sometime this week.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  08:00:34  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can someone let me know how to post scanned photos like Thomas did?

Alienation confers freedom. Obscurity will keep you pure. Pray that you won’t be discovered young, so that you won’t be tempted to sell out early, or won’t be seduced by celebrity.

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  15:56:50  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dunno if you're still looking to post the scans, langdonboom, but if you can upload the image files to a website, then just paste the url of the image location like so, but remove the spaces:
[ img ]http://www.exampleurl.com/imagefile.jpg[/ img ]

If you need a space to host your files for a while, let me know, and I can loan you some space (if they aren't too large).

Thanks to Thomas for the great scans!

666 Dunkin' Donuts, a 20-inch veggie pizza from Gumby's, extra jalapenos on the side. And a case of Asahi Dry -

Edited by - apl4eris on 03/03/2004 15:58:10
Go to Top of Page

swfc69
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  04:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have quite a few articles from sounds, nme, melody maker, but alas no scanner! Just got some stuff out of storage and rediscovered my bossanova poster - it's five feet high, am hoping to get it framed this week.

An abstract mouse
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  04:16:15  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds nice - i see a bossanova poster went for £50 on ebay recently...ouch.
my favourite poster is a 6ft (ha i win!) one of doolittle.
but the person who gave it to me had not treated it well, so no point in framing it...damn.

i too have many articles, but no scanner.

an excellent place to host pictures is www.photobucket.com

Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  07:43:55  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Anyone remember an interview Frank did with NME around Trompe or just after the Pixies split in which Frank mentioned that he might not be making records in ten year's time but would like to be doing soundtracks. He also talked about driving through Arizona and chatting to truckers on those radio things they had in trucks.

I've lost my copy.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  18:24:22  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for finding this, I forgot I changed locations on the links.

Go to Top of Page

ThenGodIsSeven
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  18:31:16  Show Profile  Visit ThenGodIsSeven's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey that fucking cool. Thanks for posting all this shit guys. Wish I had something to offer. Well, I do have an old t-shirt from the Trompe Le Monde era, I guess I could scan that.

People ask me all the time where I got it. It has the big flying P symbol on the front in that flourscent light green and prurple color. and on the back in the fancy trompe le monde cursivey font say the pixies and has the little space man and space ship.

So take that.
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  23:48:06  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by offerw

He also talked about driving through Arizona and chatting to truckers on those radio things they had in trucks.

Hmmm, maybe that's what he's doing near the end of "All Over the World" and in "Olé Mulholland".
Go to Top of Page

Lexo
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  17:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. That pic of Frank at the bottom of the third page made my day.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  16:54:58  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Okay -- here's my first attempt to post one of my pixies articles. If this goes well I'll post another one.

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  16:57:08  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
okay. that sucked. Photobucket won't post anything over 250K and that made these unreadable. Anyone got any ideas what else I can do?

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  00:41:12  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
only thing i can suggest is resample them to an appropriate size before you upload them to photobucket.
cause when they resample the stuff, it tends to lose it's clarity, as we have here.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  00:42:33  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
only thing i can suggest is resample them to an appropriate size before you upload them to photobucket.
cause when they resample the stuff, it tends to lose it's clarity, as we have here.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  00:44:01  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  16:37:04  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well said benji. well said benji. well said benji.

Gotta be a better way to make it to 1000.

Go to Top of Page

vespa59
- FB Fan -

38 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  15:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhere, I have the small blurb that appeared in Rolling Stone in 1992 about the breakup. It was entitled "There Goes Your Band" and it literally made me cry.

I also have a Bossonova era Pixies pin. It's a nice metal die-cut of the Saturn logo from the album cover. E-bay? NO WAY!
Go to Top of Page

Bsharp
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  05:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a gig review from the December 9th 1989 Melody Maker.

BIG Version:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/bbflat/ElfinEfficiency.jpg

Edited by - Bsharp on 03/30/2005 04:53:14
Go to Top of Page

downtothewell.com
- FB Fan -

78 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  06:42:33  Show Profile  Visit downtothewell.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bsharp, great one for our site!

http://www.downtothewell.com
Go to Top of Page

the tolerant
= Cult of Ray =

298 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  07:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i second that. what a review. sent little shivers of happiness dpwn my spine puttin the words into pictures in my mind.
nice one joey. would loved to have seen that

thankyou for the article B#...you gotta love the line bout frank and manslaughter. repent!
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  08:46:30  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I concur. That was the most awesome review I have ever read, the pixies in all their glory. I must build my time machine now.

-----------------------
http://www.broszkowski.com
Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  13:19:19  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by offerw

Anyone remember an interview Frank did with NME around Trompe or just after the Pixies split in which Frank mentioned that he might not be making records in ten year's time but would like to be doing soundtracks. He also talked about driving through Arizona and chatting to truckers on those radio things they had in trucks.

I've lost my copy.

I've found a pic of the NME which I was talking about. Does anyone have the time to scan this article? It is the top right NME.

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

LUTINS
- FB Fan -

France
182 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  13:32:37  Show Profile  Click to see LUTINS's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
inrock

union pour la promotion de la propulsion photonique pixienne
Go to Top of Page

LUTINS
- FB Fan -

France
182 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  13:40:04  Show Profile  Click to see LUTINS's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how do you to introduce a picture ?

union pour la promotion de la propulsion photonique pixienne
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2004 :  01:02:28  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just go [ img ] type URL here [ /img ]
but without any gaps

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2004 :  01:06:24  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what a fucking awesome review that is Bsharp....
certainly sent shivers down my spine....

Go to Top of Page

Otherfellers
- FB Fan -

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  19:53:10  Show Profile  Click to see Otherfellers's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

what a fucking awesome review that is Bsharp....
certainly sent shivers down my spine....

what that man said

They pile, they pile, they pile the salad bar
Go to Top of Page

Black_francis_
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  06:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man, what a review!! thank you B sharp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic