Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  14:38:46  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Looks like everybody's going all bonkers on the dream thing lately (including myself), so I thought maybe we could put it all here.
Weird dreams, recurring dreams, lucid, strange sleep occurrances, favorite dreams, prophetic, interpretations, if asked for, thoughts about dreams, whatever! This should be fun...so please everyone, have at it!

To start off the posting, I dreamt 2 nights ago that someone from Mexico moved in next door onto this 30 or so acre plot and planted all these giant 40-ft tall asparagus plants. I'm a little sick lately.

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  14:45:07  Show Profile
I don't know if you like comics or not, apl, but the pipe image was used in Scott McLeod's book "Understanding Comics." (He used it to illustrate a point.) It was a very insightful read.

Some of the wierdest dreams I've had involve me being able to levitate. Not to fly, exactly, but to just be able to wave my feet like I was wearing paddles or else run in place hard enough and be able to raise up in the air. Although the memories of these dreams are kind of vague, it is always a blast. I have alot like that.

That one's not too specific, I'll post some more later.

Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  15:01:05  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
When I was a kid, I had a dream that Grimace (from the McDonald's commercials) wanted to eat me.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  15:09:32  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
hahahahah! VoVat, I'm so sick and you still had me laughing past the pain. Sorry for the schadenfreude...:)

I like those floaty dreams, glacial. Sometimes the flying gets a little out of hand for me. I think it's also good to just chill and float. I should have plenty of delirious sick dreams by the time I'm done with this flu, then you can all laugh at my expense...
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  15:33:33  Show Profile
have you ever had a dream inside a dream?

mijn vriendin kan geen orgasme krijgen
Go to Top of Page

interloper
= Cult of Ray =

440 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  15:39:56  Show Profile
The last dream I can remember consisted of me being chased around a deserted Speghetti-Westernlike town by a bunch of old ladies weilding bats and darts and shit.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  15:41:30  Show Profile
I've never been able to fly in my dreams but I often levitate. I'll either have that foot paddling thing like glacial said or I crouch low as if I'm in an invisable mini car and scoot around like that all over the place.

I've also never had a dream inside a dream. I haven't been remembering my dreams lately but I have a few bizarre ones written down that I'll post later when I find them.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  15:51:22  Show Profile
well actually, here are a few I remember from when I was a kid. The first dream I had was a nightmare. I put every kind of liquidy substance known to man (milk, water, gasoline, etc.) into a wading pool in my back yard and when someone jumped in they froze. When someone went to help them they froze. Eventually everyone in the world froze but me and I was scared.

Another nightmare was of my cats conspiring to kill me. I was hiding in a closet and could see them through the slats. They were like 8 feet tall and were talking about murdering me but worst of all, they got my parents in on it too so I had no one to turn to. Even though my parents were in on it I remember going to sleep in their bed anyway after that one. Funny thing about nightmares is they're almost never really scary but the strangest things can scare you in your sleep.

Last one here - my sister and I used to have the same recurring dream but we didn't find out about each others dreams until a few years after we stopped having them.
My dream: I stood at the curve of my staircase in blue footy pajamas and flew down the stairs.
Her dream: She stood at the very top of the stairs in pink footy pajamas and flew all the way down the stairs and around the corner where my parents were watching tv. then they put her to bed.

Like I said we both had this dream repeatedly; when we found out we were very creeped out.

You all might find it interesting that once, when trying to duplicate this dream, I actually fell down my stairs, hit the bookcase at the bottom and it fell on me books and all.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Edited by - realmeanmotorscutor on 10/24/2003 12:51:33
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  16:05:32  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
I do that foot-paddling quite a bit myself. I wonder whether it's from watching too many cartoons, or the cartoon makers were inspired by their dreams. Perhaps there's a chicken-and-the-egg situation here.

-Nathan
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  17:04:21  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
I used to wake up at exactly 3 AM every Saturday morning and the entire left side of my body would be numb. This is why I think the aliens were abducting me. I've also had lots of death dreams, kind of like the ones the Ritchie Valens character has in La Bamba, cept it seems I'm gonna die in a car.

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  17:30:46  Show Profile
I dreamed when I was little that the Jolly Green Giant picked me up. But, other than that, I can't recall the dream.

Another dream I had when I was little was that I was in the midst of a big-ass GoBots fight. (No doubt brought on by having too many GoBots.) But, the odd thing was, I was on the Renegade's side. I was actually driving Cy-Kill, the leader of the Renegades that turned into a motorcycle. What a little rebel I was back then, huh?!
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  18:15:39  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
There's a lot of interesting stuff here!
Man I love to hear about dreams - Akira Kurosawa used to say that dreams were where we are all creative geniuses. I tend to agree. Does anyone experiment with techniques to intensify or encourage dreaming? I have heard that Laurie Anderson, who is very into dreaming, drinks warm milk with salt in it, and tries to sleep in strange places, like a train station. I have also tried the B-vitamin trick, which creates vivid neon-like colors, and weird dreams....Anybody keep a dream notebook?

Just a quick question, cause I don't want to be a topic fascist, haha!
WolfmanMike, the left side of your body being numb at waking up at 3AM every Saturday morning is really odd - did you worry for a while that it could have health implications? I don't want to pry, so you don't have to bother responding...(I'm a little obsessed about neurological functions lately).
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  18:24:05  Show Profile
Can you explain more about that B-Vitamin trick? It sounds interesting.

I took a Sleep & Dreams class last semester and I jotted down a few dreams but I never kept up with it. I'll usually jot down the ones that are really powerful though.

Last year for about 3-4 months I'd wake up and my arms would be numb. Each time seemed worse and I would think "This is it, my arm in finally dead." Then it just stopped. Now I just grind my teeth a lot and have to wear a night guard lik a big ol dork.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  18:38:15  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
It only happened for a few months so I never looked into it really, but it was really disturbing. I find it really fun to listen to some kind of strange music and just start to go to sleep and see what I might dream about in lucid dreams. I've had some really cool little experiences doing this with "Venus" by Television. "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" is an album that triggers cool dreams for me, I've found.

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  18:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Eat cheese before bed, this guarantees fucked up dreams!

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  18:55:14  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
The B-vitamin trick thingy is taking B12 and B6, and B3 supplements in a large (but safe, ahem ;) ), quantity, right before you go to bed. You gotta be careful, I'm not sure if certain B vitamins have an upper limit, you could hurt yourself taking too much. B vitamins are supposed to, among other things, assist in brain activity and cognitive functions.

Edited by - apl4eris on 10/21/2003 18:59:33
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  18:56:08  Show Profile
I've heard some people say that all dreams are supposed to mean something, and some say only some, while others think dreams don't mean anything. I guess I would have to believe that sometimes they can reflect real-world concerns, hopes, worries, etc, but more often than not I think I just dream about whatever my mind happens to be thinking about at the time. I really don't buy much into the "symbolism" that's supposed to be present in dreams, where different things are metaphors for real people or events. Otherwise, I seriously wonder what some of the fucked-up stuff I dream means!

Most of the "nightmares" I have aren't really about scary stuff in lieu of monsters, ghosts, and the like, but rather things that could actually happen, theoretically, in real life. Like, someone dying, or me and my wife breaking up, or whatnot. It sucks, because then I wake up and for a few moments I am worried that it's real, then I breathe a huge sigh of relief when I find out they are not.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  19:11:25  Show Profile
I believe dreams tend to help people through their problems. Largely depriving a person of REM sleep has been declared unethical, for without it a person will eventually die. This means that dreams DO have some function. Sleep is a healer. When going through a stressful situation if you go to sleep you will, 99% of the time, feel better about it in the morning and better equipped to handle it.

Also, for all you college students pulling all nighters: Stage II sleep consolidates memory so cramming is the way to go, just as I've always said. In all, sleep does facilitate a sound body and mind.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  20:30:14  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I have an obsession with dreams and are generally fascinated with them. I remember places from dreams as if they were real places...I remember parts of dreams as if they were reality. I've had dreams where I'd go to one place and then a month later go back to that place in a dream. When I was a kid I would have some recurring bad dreams...one that I remember would be that I'd be chased by some guys in spandex outfits. I believe those guys were characters from a live action show on Nickelodeon but I can't for the life of me remember what show it was...it was very weird though.

I often have/had dreams involving cars, mostly before I ever drove. I'd have dreams where I'd be driving and I didn't know how to or where I was going...I'd be driving away from home, further and further. Driving off a bridge or into water. I'd have dreams where I'd be driving on a freeway with a single narrow lane with weird ass bridges and hills and loop-like things and it'd be VERY scary...those really freaked me out.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."

Edited by - El Barto on 10/21/2003 20:32:27
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  21:26:22  Show Profile
There is a place that I have gone to in several dreams, at least I think it is the same place. You know how in a dream you could just "know" it was the same place you'd been to before, even though it may look different in each incarnation? Well, this place I have gone to seems to be like a tower, of ridiculously unproportianate height, although I have never really "visited" it on the outside. I have had dreams about being in it several times over the past year or so. It's a pretty wicked place, kind of surreal and scary but cool at the same time. I really can't recall what I've actually dreamed about the tower, though; I need to start writing the dreams down as I have them.

Jim, I once had a dream from when I was young where me and my mom and my older sister were driving down the interstate, and all of a sudden a huge loop-de-loop appeared on the horizon, much like those Hot Wheels action sets from when we were younger. Only it was real, in the context of the dream. Well, my mom started freaking out, like she couldn't stop the car or anything, and everyone started screaming, dreading going upside-down through this wierd loop. All of a sudden, kind of like the ethereal ghost effects from the original Star Wars trilogy, my dad appeared. Now, he is perfectly alive and well in real life, and yet in the dream he was dead and was coming back as a ghost. He somehow surplanted my mom in the driver's seat, and safely pulled off going through the loop-de-loop. (sp?) Wierd.
Go to Top of Page

MangyKid
- FB Fan -

170 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  22:02:34  Show Profile
I had a dream not long ago where I was running and started lifting off the ground and gaining speed, and since im just kind of in the air with no way to stop, i keep going faster and faster until I hit a house. I woke up right when I hit it with my whole body tingling and kind of numb. scared the crap out of me.

Like el barto, I used to get dreams where I'd be in a car and have to drive. Usually I'd be in my grandpa's truck and he'd get out to do something and the car would slide away and I'd have to try and drive my way back home, and always with his dog cujo in the truck with me. And surprisingly, I usually did get back home somehow. I used to dream that a lot when I was 6 or 7.
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  04:28:12  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage
When I was about 4-5 I dreamt that the Soggies (from those Captain Crunch commercials) were riding up to my elementary school on a green firetruck.

A few years back I had a dream that I was, like, moving through a 3-D world that contained only 2D objects. It was like the clouds were painted on the sky. I was walking up a hill, looking around, and when I reached the top I was greeted by Johnny 5 from Short Circuit. He told me, "You cannot smell time, therefore it does not exist." I thanked him and the dream ended.

Most recently I dreamt that Dennis Kucinich ( http://www.kucinich.us/ ) stopped at a IHOP me and my wife were eating at and asked if I would hand out fliers. For whatever reason, when he handed them to me I realized I was dreaming and that I would actually be 'writing' that promotional stuff. I got all stressed-out and woke up.

*Shka-pow!
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  05:58:12  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by glacial906

There is a place that I have gone to in several dreams, at least I think it is the same place. ...Well, this place I have gone to seems to be like a tower, of ridiculously unproportianate height, although I have never really "visited" it on the outside.
Glacial, that reminds me of an H. P. Lovecraft story - very creepy. Have you ever read any of his books?
quote:
Originally posted by MangyKid

I had a dream not long ago where I was running and started lifting off the ground and gaining speed, and since im just kind of in the air with no way to stop, i keep going faster and faster until I hit a house. I woke up right when I hit it with my whole body tingling and kind of numb. scared the crap out of me.
Mangykid, that waking up freaked out numb and tingling after an adrenalized dream has happened to me a lot - I never like it - do you ever feel like there is someone watching you when that happens? I know, crazy question, but it's happened to me and apparently other people - maybe it's the adrenaline and fear making the brain think there is a threat close by?
quote:
Originally posted by ObfuscateByWill

A few years back I had a dream that I was, like, moving through a 3-D world that contained only 2D objects. It was like the clouds were painted on the sky. I was walking up a hill, looking around, and when I reached the top I was greeted by Johnny 5 from Short Circuit. He told me, "You cannot smell time, therefore it does not exist." I thanked him and the dream ended.
Obfuscate, how did you feel after that one? I love that dream - did you wake up and say, "Yeah, right, that makes total sense!" and then go on about your day? :)
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  06:12:21  Show Profile
quote:

I've heard some people say that all dreams are supposed to mean something, and some say only some, while others think dreams don't mean anything. I guess I would have to believe that sometimes they can reflect real-world concerns, hopes, worries, etc, but more often than not I think I just dream about whatever my mind happens to be thinking about at the time. I really don't buy much into the "symbolism" that's supposed to be present in dreams, where different things are metaphors for real people or events. Otherwise, I seriously wonder what some of the fucked-up stuff I dream means!

i'm no expert on dreams, but I don't think anyone any longer questions if dreams mean something. Freud's interpretation that dreams are the place where unconscious conflicts are being solved (in fantasy)/played out have been strongly critized though. PLenty of people believe dreams to involved in problem solving/learning processes. However, the perspective that made most sense to me was that each person in the dream represents different aspects of your own self - an perspective i think perls introduced. Which makes sense also because the dream is 100% personal - it is all comming from oneself. I dreamed i killed someone once. Scary dream and it made no sense to me. It could, however, mean that it was a part of myself that was not acceptable and blahblahblah - i wanted to get rid of it. Internet does strange things to privacy buffers.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  07:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
I sometimes have dreams that I am being chased by something scary (cannot reall remember what) and when I run my legs are as heavy as lead...... it makes me feel scared as fuck, but then I wake up. I always have fucked up dreams, but thats probably as a result of Chinese food (I am sure that MSG is responsible for this!).

Dreams on the whole are cool.

Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  07:38:53  Show Profile
I've actually had a couple of dreams where I was naked at work. I'd imagine everyone has those wierd-ass dreams where you suddenly just find yourself somewhere, and you're not wearing any clothes. Well, I was in the kitchen at Ruby's in the dream, and I had to somehow make my way out without anyone seeing me. Very difficult to do, considering there's always probably about 15 or so people back there at any given time, almost. What would you suppose dreams like that "represent?"
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  07:44:48  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Dunno mate, but I get similar ones where I am naked in the middle of a busy town, and have to get home without being seen.

Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  08:41:54  Show Profile
I dreamt that I was on a train, wearing diapers, and my mom was going aroun selling cigars, big fat ones, and the train kept on backing in and out of a tunnel
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  09:16:30  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rockathon

I dreamt that I was on a train, wearing diapers, and my mom was going aroun selling cigars, big fat ones, and the train kept on backing in and out of a tunnel

Rockathon, do you think they're just cigars?
Nice ;)
Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  09:22:35  Show Profile
whatever do you mean?
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  09:24:43  Show Profile
Noone believes me but I swear this is true. I had a dream that I died on a submarine ride in West Edmonton Mall before they even had the subs there.

The other night my hubby told me that I woke him up by saying that my bagpipes were broken. Wonder what the hell I was dreaming about.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  09:29:32  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I just dreamed that I was an employee in a large corporation that was being infiltrated by a right-wing christian cult. Some of them were actually naked and going though indoctrination in front of dry erase boards, and I would glimpse the proceedings through doors as we walked down halls. "They" all had weird faces, like on Fox News (some of you may know what I'm talking about - just kind of plasticky and wrong), with that strange smilie wide-eyed stare. Just before I woke up there was a riot forming. I wish I had been there to see what happened next...

Earlier last night I dreamed I was chasing spies, again infiltrated, this time in everyday society. I was always one step behind them. I wound up in a room with with one of the top spies (I sound like a 4-yr-old boy, heehee!) and they called in an expert in Tai Chi -of all things! haha, who hadn't been beaten in over 50 years. I was scared because I knew I wouldn't have a chance, so I started to talk him out of it as he was trying to kill me, appealing to his sense of humanity and outrage at what the spies were doing (this is so funny, now that I'm writing it down) and he eventually broke down crying. I think I was using that witch-voice from Dune. Silly movie-type dreams when I'm sick.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  09:34:01  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

Noone believes me but I swear this is true. I had a dream that I died on a submarine ride in West Edmonton Mall before they even had the subs there.

The other night my hubby told me that I woke him up by saying that my bagpipes were broken. Wonder what the hell I was dreaming about.

That's hilarious, Carolynanna! Boroken bagpipes ;) hehee.
I believe you about the sub-dream, as I know too many people, including myself, that have had weirdly prophetic dreams.

I dunno, rockathon, I guess nuthin' >coyly staring at her feet and swinging leg back and forth ;)<

Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  09:55:15  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
It's good to know I'm not the only one who's had dreams about commercial mascots.

I have had dreams where I went back to the same place I had been in another dream. The only such place I can remember right now is some mall that had a room full of dogs.

-Nathan
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  10:09:22  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:

I don't know if you like comics or not, apl, but the pipe image was used in Scott McLeod's book "Understanding Comics." (He used it to illustrate a point.) It was a very insightful read.
Hey glacial, somehow I forgot to reply to that - oy! it's only the first response on the page. ;) I did used to read and love Sandman, but that was about it - most of my friends in college were comic book geeks though. I love the image. I have a little matchbox puzzle where you have little pieces that fit on top of each other with the center cut out of each in a negative image of different faces, if you lay them together properly, you get the negative image of the pipe in the painting.
Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  10:21:29  Show Profile
I have recurring dreams about a haunted house ... but I know why. when I was a toddler, my family had to clean out my rich crazy great aunt's house after she died, a house she abandoned abruptly one morning, some 20 years prior, when she awoke to find her maid (turned best friend) dead in her bed. She was convinced the house was haunted and evil. My dad, brother and I were the first one's to enter the house since that day. I almost shat my diddies.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000