Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2022 :  01:40:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think Kim served as a filter tbh

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2022 :  03:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right. I think it's possible she could have served as one if she stayed, but I presume her leaving was in part (at least) from being unhappy with the material.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2022 :  03:32:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Post Pixies Kim seems very restricted to the idea of exploring new types of music
She rarely releases music and when she does it sounds like Pod all over again
More power to her, I love her records, but I don't think Frank can do that.
The Pixies records show much variety, even before 1993.
Frank Black solo covers a lot of ground too.

Kim likes to work slow
Frank works fast (well he used to do)

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2022 :  04:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Fifth Pixie is Father Time

And I agree with Goodman re Kim, her last album sounded like 1993, which was good when you’re in the mood for it which I was at the time
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2022 :  11:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can kinda see why some people consider some of the BTE demo songs to be throwaway but still think that album vastly overpowers the actual BTE album. Don't think it's just the lo-fi asthethic - BF was really going for it. The lyrics are way more interesting than a lot of the stuff on BTE. It's 25 minutes long and there's very little faff. To me it's a break-up album and BF sounds engaged and even angry on a lot of the tracks, he's not doing his emotionless ''Brian Jones thing'' as he once called it. IJCBITY and Mal De Mer are amazing. Even something like Chapel Hill which is basically one sentence repeated over and over again is just a ball of fun. I've replayed that song loads of times, and will do again, whereas the likes of Long Rider or Silver Bullet I wouldn't particularly care if I never heard them again. Then songs I enjoy like This Is My Fate, Catfish Kate, Bird of Prey, etc., they've been Dalgety-ified - very little oomph to them. BTE has its high moments (Boone, Death Horizon) and it is a decent, possibly even good album, but I think the demos were just a breath of fresh air as they weren't formulaic Pixies numbers and BF seemed present in the moment, if that makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2022 :  11:40:16  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a perfect breakdown right there, Maharal. It's an energy thing.

I was just watching the new Kids in the Hall documentary. They were talking about how the first taping of their pilot went terribly. Their energy was nervous and the audience didn't laugh. They shot it again, this time after trashing their dressing room and letting out some rage and fear, and they killed. Same exact script.

That's how I feel about the BTE demos. They have that energy to them. I also just think the songwriting/lyrics/arrangements are more interesting and effective than BTE, but really a lot of it is the vibe.
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2022 :  16:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I don't think Kim served as a filter tbh

Yeah, I think that idea is just another weird cult of Kim Deal thing, trying to give her as much credit for the Pixies as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  01:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, did not mean to appear to be doing a No Kim No Deal post!

In my defense I replied saying "but the difference between [Tom] and Kim serving as filters (if she did indeed do this)", emphasis on "if," haha. My broader point was simply that the band could currently use a voice that could push them in an indie/alternative/art-punk (or whatever you would call it) direction, which Tom is admittedly not steeped in.

I agree that Kim did not serve as a filter for Pixies 1.0 - they didn't need one at that point!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  01:48:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would love someone who would push them in a more exciting direction, yes.

Pixies Fantasy baseball:
- A record with more Spanish influences, more from Paz (violin!) and Frank going back to Puerto Rico.
- A more later day Dylan and Cohen kind of record. Very dark and emotional
- An instrumental only album, with some tracks being pure Joey noise

This kind of stuff

Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  06:37:01  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's weird that they recycled Frank's interview on the podcast episode.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  07:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The “Kim was an editor of 1.0 songs” theory must surely be disproven by the lyrics to U-Mass and all of TLM. I am a fan but can’t see any of her influence on that album at all,

But the “Kim put the kabash on the Pixies Bluefinger album” theory seems more plausible to me. And obviously we know how she felt about IC songs
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  08:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And re: complaints about lyrics on Doggerel and 2.0 in general, all I have to say is Ride ride ride ride ride ride ride ride ride ride ride ride ride ride ride a tire
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  08:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Filtering can be indirect. Kim was influencing every song she wrote the bassline for. One thing that was surprising to hear way back was when Frank commented 'now it sounds like a Pixies song' when Joey had added a part. I always thought before that on a song (for example) like Hey that Frank would write the solo or at least sketch it out. But if it was really left to Joe then that is some serious song filtering/influencing what ever you want to call it. I find it pretty hard to believe Kim wasn't doing similar on her parts or backing vocals.

FB&C don't sound anything like the Pixies, is that because of Frank or because of the players. I have my doubts it's not the players
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  09:05:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

The “Kim was an editor of 1.0 songs” theory must surely be disproven by the lyrics to U-Mass and all of TLM. I am a fan but can’t see any of her influence on that album at all,

But the “Kim put the kabash on the Pixies Bluefinger album” theory seems more plausible to me. And obviously we know how she felt about IC songs

That was a tragic decision on Kims behalf, if true

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  09:30:21  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Filtering can be indirect. Kim was influencing every song she wrote the bassline for. One thing that was surprising to hear way back was when Frank commented 'now it sounds like a Pixies song' when Joey had added a part. I always thought before that on a song (for example) like Hey that Frank would write the solo or at least sketch it out. But if it was really left to Joe then that is some serious song filtering/influencing what ever you want to call it. I find it pretty hard to believe Kim wasn't doing similar on her parts or backing vocals.

Yeah, Frank seems to let his band do their thing and maybe he figures he did his job already, the songwriting part. This will sound anti-Kim (I'm not at all, love her) but I do think there's some fundamental differences to what Joey adds to a song and what Kim adds. To be frank, her bass lines tend to be extremely simple (iconic, yes, but simple.) Now that simplicity makes the Pixies the Pixies, and she's a great player and her and Dave are a tight rhythm section. But I sort of see Joey's influence as a lot more wild and creative and having a bigger change on the songs than Kim's. (Please, any bass players/experts, prove me wrong! I love the bass. I play bass. I think bass is extremely important in a song's arrangement, especially on my own work.)

Which is maybe a band without Kim can still be the Pixies, but not a band without Joey?

Those backup vocals though...that's kind of another story. But those were already about gone by the time we got to Trompe Le Monde.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  09:34:42  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Yes and no. Frank's anger at the whole situation went right smack into Bluefinger. That album is him basically saying fuck the Pixies, I can do this shit myself. And that cocky, angry feel is throughout the whole thing. It's so raw and unleashed, but also super artsy and well thought out.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  09:35:24  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

[quote]Originally posted by billgoodman

Yes and no. Frank's anger at the whole situation went right smack into Bluefinger. That album is him basically saying fuck the Pixies, I can do this shit myself. And that cocky, angry feel is throughout the whole thing. It's so raw and unleashed, but also super artsy and well thought out.

Let's all be glad we didn't get a Dalgety-ized Bluefinger. Shudder.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 06/14/2022 17:56:05
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  10:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

FB&C don't sound anything like the Pixies, is that because of Frank or because of the players. I have my doubts it's not the players

Sure, I don't think anyone is saying the band doesn't have a lot of influence on the songs. There is an alchemy to the Pixies, and I think Kim, with her pretty voice and simple basslines, provided a counterbalance to the weirder and more abrasive elements in the songs.

But there's a segment of Pixies fans that insist Kim and Charles are somehow equally responsible for the Pixies through Doolittle. Or even that Kim was more responsible, I once had a guy tell me that he believed Kim was the "true genius" behind the Pixies. His justification being that the Breeders sound more like the early Pixies than Frank Black does, and more than even the Bossa/Trompe Pixies do. He didn't appreciate my suggestion that it could also be explained by the Breeders ripping the Pixies off.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  12:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it's a bit off topic but I'm not convinced that Bluefinger was meant to be a Pixies album that Kim then rejected (though I do believe she rejected other demos Frank had sent the band, and eventually quit over being unhappy with Indie Cindy).

Wasn't the whole genesis of Bluefinger that they needed a bonus song for Frank Black 93-03, for which Frank supplied Threshold Apprehension, and then while in the studio had one of his legendary a boosts of creativity and efficiently pumped out and recorded the rest of the songs then and there over a few days? If so, Bluefinger the album would never have existed as demos for the Pixies - unless the album itself was a demo which was then released, but that's not my impression. It's possible of course that Threshold Apprehension may have been meant for the Pixies and then instead used as the bonus track for 93-03 (it was based on a leftover riff from the Pixies 1.0 days). Is there any interview evidence to the contrary of my narrative? I'm completely open to the idea that I'm confused/misremembering.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 06/14/2022 12:35:11
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  13:30:23  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I know it's a bit off topic but I'm not convinced that Bluefinger was meant to be a Pixies album that Kim then rejected (though I do believe she rejected other demos Frank had sent the band, and eventually quit over being unhappy with Indie Cindy).

Wasn't the whole genesis of Bluefinger that they needed a bonus song for Frank Black 93-03, for which Frank supplied Threshold Apprehension, and then while in the studio had one of his legendary a boosts of creativity and efficiently pumped out and recorded the rest of the songs then and there over a few days? If so, Bluefinger the album would never have existed as demos for the Pixies - unless the album itself was a demo which was then released, but that's not my impression. It's possible of course that Threshold Apprehension may have been meant for the Pixies and then instead used as the bonus track for 93-03 (it was based on a leftover riff from the Pixies 1.0 days). Is there any interview evidence to the contrary of my narrative? I'm completely open to the idea that I'm confused/misremembering.

Yeah I don’t remember it that way. I know Threshold was something kicking around Pixies world, maybe a left over riff, but I thought it was developed FOR the Pixies until Kim shot it down. I thought that was the genesis of the whole “fakey” comment BF referenced in interviews leading up to and during Bluefinger’s release. I thought “fakey” was a direct shot at Threshold from Kim. But who knows.

I don’t think Bluefinger was developed FOR the Pixies per say, I do think it was “okay I’m going to write a solo Black Francis album then” and show you. In spirit it was a pixies album. But it wouldn’t have came about without the rejection. But I feel like there might have been hope that it could be sold to the band (or Kim really) as the basis for a Pixies album.

So that’s how I remember it, but man I’m probably conflating random analysis from the board here at the time with contemporary interviews, and all of it was a long time ago now.

I know we discussed and referenced various interviews at length here on the board way back when Bluefinger came out, but we’d have to go spelunking for those. I

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  13:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We know that Kim approved Bagboy because she’s singing on it ;-)
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  14:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Kim was onboard with the idea of recording an EP in Wales with the band but when it became obvious that everyone else wanted to record more than that she wasn't comfortable with the idea and left. She must have had some faith in some of the songs to have gone out there in the first place though. I believe she contributed arrangement ideas and bass riffs to certain songs on the record. Here's a quote from Charles about Kim's involvement on 'Bagboy': "When we rehearsed it at the ill fated rehearsal session I believe actually Kim kind of disassembled the song somewhat, you know to try to kind of find a breath of fresh air for it or something."

Regarding 'Threshold Apprehension' this is what Charles said about the track: "That originally was the Pixies. That’s left over from Surfer Rosa, that chord progression."

I can't remember where I found the information*** but '(Do What You Want) Gyaneshwar' was written for the Pixies in the mid-2000's. That was one of the earliest attempts to write 2.0 material, which Charles described as being rejected for sounding "Fakey".

There were later attempts at writing Pixies music too (pre-Indie Cindy). Charles, Joey and Dave demoed about 10-15 songs around 2010 in LA, known as the 'Guncotton Demos'. 'Um Chagga Lagga' and a different instrumental version of 'Bagboy' were part of these demos.

*** Edit: Here's where the info came from: http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17118&SearchTerms=gyaneshwar

Edited by - jake3 on 06/15/2022 08:56:21
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  14:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

Yeah I don’t remember it that way. I know Threshold was something kicking around Pixies world, maybe a left over riff, but I thought it was developed FOR the Pixies until Kim shot it down. I thought that was the genesis of the whole “fakey” comment BF referenced in interviews leading up to and during Bluefinger’s release. I thought “fakey” was a direct shot at Threshold from Kim. But who knows.

I don’t think Bluefinger was developed FOR the Pixies per say, I do think it was “okay I’m going to write a solo Black Francis album then” and show you. In spirit it was a pixies album. But it wouldn’t have came about without the rejection. But I feel like there might have been hope that it could be sold to the band (or Kim really) as the basis for a Pixies album.

So that’s how I remember it, but man I’m probably conflating random analysis from the board here at the time with contemporary interviews, and all of it was a long time ago now.

I know we discussed and referenced various interviews at length here on the board way back when Bluefinger came out, but we’d have to go spelunking for those. I

I don't think it's ever been definitively established that the Bluefinger songs (as an entire 'suite') were presented to the Pixies for consideration.

There's the 2006 Billboard interview where he talked around struggling to persuade Kim to record, and the difficulty of getting into a 'Pixies mindset'.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/black-bags-penning-pixies-esque-songs-58086/

I seem to remember around the 2008/09 mark (or even later) where Charles referenced sending rough demos to the other members and not even getting a reply. Whether that was him joking around with the interviewer isn't clear!

Consensus on here used to be that 'Dead Man's Curve' was a 'rejected Pixies song'. Did that stem from a comment he made during one of its many live performances?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  14:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

I believe Kim was onboard with the idea of recording an EP in Wales with the band but when it became obvious that everyone else wanted to record more than that she wasn't comfortable with the idea and left. She must have had some faith in some of the songs to have gone out there in the first place though. I believe she contributed arrangement ideas and bass riffs to certain songs on the record. Here's a quote from Charles about Kim's involvement on 'Bagboy': "When we rehearsed it at the ill fated rehearsal session I believe actually Kim kind of disassembled the song somewhat, you know to try to kind of find a breath of fresh air for it or something."

Regarding 'Threshold Apprehension' this is what Charles said about the track: "That originally was the Pixies. That’s left over from Surfer Rosa, that chord progression."

I can't remember where I found the information but '(Do What You Want) Gyaneshwar' was written for the Pixies in the mid-2000's. That was one of the earliest attempts to write 2.0 material, which Charles described as being rejected for sounding "Fakey".

There were later attempts at writing Pixies music too (pre-Indie Cindy). Charles, Joey and Dave demoed about 10-15 songs around 2010 in LA, known as the 'Guncotton Demos'. 'Um Chagga Lagga' and a different instrumental version of 'Bagboy' were part of these demos.

I think Kim was credited with the sudden break in the title song 'Indie Cindy' too. Joey mentioned in an interview which songs they had worked out before going to Rockfield, which included 'Ring the Bell'.

Re: the Guncotton Demos - I'd presume (but don't know for sure) that 'Alice Prin' was among those, considering the subject matter and 'Um Chagga Lagga' also being a part.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  15:00:43  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do what you want Gyaneshwar sounds so Pixies it's not even funny
Fakey? I would never use that word ...

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  15:17:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bluefinger era FBF tracks are so Pixies 2.0 songs. Fakey is what we seem to be getting now.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  16:56:17  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some more context from my perspective on some of the Bluefinger chat. This article is from 2013 I think but also links to Ziggy's earlier link or similar - articles anchored on what was happening back around 2006, which seems to be a pretty significant year in hindsight.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-pixies-talk-about-their-reunion-new-music-and-a-missing-band-member

“‘In 2006, Thompson wrote a batch of news songs, he later told Billboard, “in an attempt to convince one of the Pixies to make a Pixies record again,’ adding ‘I can't say who she is.’

That, of course, is the risk with any reunion, and the reason why most of them play it so safe: try to recapture the magic of the past and you will probably end up sullying the band’s reputation with new work that doesn’t measure up to your old standards.

But between 2007 and 2012, something changed. Thompson wrote more songs. At last they clicked. Deal agreed to record again. And then, suddenly, on the eve of the sessions, she bailed, leaving Thompson, Santiago, and Lovering to decide whether the Pixies were finished once again or whether they should soldier on without her.”

To just solidify that a little bit, I need to hit that one line again: “In 2006, Thompson wrote a batch of news songs, he later told Billboard, ‘in an attempt to convince one of the Pixies to make a Pixies record again,’”

Bluefinger was recorded in September of 2006. It was released a full 12 months later, in September 2007. If it was an angry, in the moment uppercut to Kim, that’s a hell of a long time to sit on it. If it were Pixies demos with Violet singing suspiciously Kimesque lines… informs the intention of the recording - explains the loose, almost rehearsal feel of it. Was the actual final Bluefinger album originally intended to be demos all along? Then when it got shot down, probably more than once, he said “fuck it,” mastered it up and sent it out into the world anyway because it was great…

These are all the thoughts I had at the time, based on our conversation here (when it was a MUCH larger group of participants), and the contemporaneous interviews. That’s what I was recollecting on my last post, and I had to go back and do a little research to back it up.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/14/2022 17:34:32
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  17:29:32  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way, Bluefinger is, in my opinion, tied for 1st for anything solo FBF. And riding the wave just slightly under the best of the Pixies. It's a masterpiece.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  18:04:20  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok. I am currently trying to locate it. But I swear to god, when Bluefinger came out there was some sort of interview or press release where Frank was forthright and openly annoyed at the Pixies/Kim for not wanting to record his new material and that this album was him saying fuck it.

I'm trying to find it and no luck yet. Anyone else recall this? It must be here somewhere...

I've also always seemed to be under the impression that the bonus songs on ChristMASS were intended to be Pixies songs, especially Do What You Want etc...

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 06/14/2022 18:07:58
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  18:14:09  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok. I am currently trying to locate it. But I swear to god, when Bluefinger came out there was some sort of interview or press release where Frank was forthright and openly annoyed at the Pixies/Kim for not wanting to record his new material and that this album was him saying fuck it.

I'm trying to find it and no luck yet. Anyone else recall this? It must be here somewhere...

I've also always seemed to be under the impression that the bonus songs on ChristMASS were intended to be Pixies songs, especially Do What You Want etc...

Yeah, I mean, I think it was ALL intended for the Pixies. He was feeling it, he put on the old Black Francis name and was pumping out what he thought were “Pixies” songs. Kim wasn’t biting. And that’s a goddamn shame. It was then, and it is in hindsight. It’s always been pretty obvious what was happening, at least to me. Unless I’m just a Bagboy out to lunch again.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  21:52:59  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

By the way, Bluefinger is, in my opinion, tied for 1st for anything solo FBF. And riding the wave just slightly under the best of the Pixies. It's a masterpiece.

Yeah, I guess it's my favorite solo record of him (including Catholics)

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  21:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished listening to the podcast. The part about the cheesy sound in haunted house is as perfect a summation of the problem with Dalgety as I could have ever imagined.

I was also surprised by how involved he was in the other songs, rearranging them and etc. I really do feel like he's the fifth Pixie, and I feel like...none of us really want that? It's kind of a weird situation. I really don't trust his judgment and it's kind of frustrating that all of Charles's material must now be filtered through him. I really hope they try somebody else soon.

It continues to surprise me how hands-off Charles is about his own work. In terms of putting out Human Crime, he's just like uhh someone wanted a song so we did it? And he also speaks at length about not micromanaging and just letting others (mainly Tom?) call all the shots.

I can't say I like that, but if he's just in that headspace of wanting to let go a bit, good for him. I guess. But I worry there's kind of an indifference to that. And I worry that is the problem with BTE and possibly future albums...a feeling of indifference.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 06/14/2022 22:00:26
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2022 :  22:30:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

quote:

I don't think it's ever been definitively established that the Bluefinger songs (as an entire 'suite') were presented to the Pixies for consideration.

There's the 2006 Billboard interview where he talked around struggling to persuade Kim to record, and the difficulty of getting into a 'Pixies mindset'.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/black-bags-penning-pixies-esque-songs-58086/

I seem to remember around the 2008/09 mark (or even later) where Charles referenced sending rough demos to the other members and not even getting a reply. Whether that was him joking around with the interviewer isn't clear!

Consensus on here used to be that 'Dead Man's Curve' was a 'rejected Pixies song'. Did that stem from a comment he made during one of its many live performances?

That article makes Frank say the songs came out fakey. We not sure those songs ever say the light of day. I can't imagine calling Bluefinger-songs fakey.

In the end I'm happy what happened.

Frank took his freedom and released everything he liked: 07-11.

Then the Pixies records happened. I would have liked more records, but at least we got BTE out of it.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2022 :  09:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I finished listening to the podcast. The part about the cheesy sound in haunted house is as perfect a summation of the problem with Dalgety as I could have ever imagined.

I was also surprised by how involved he was in the other songs, rearranging them and etc. I really do feel like he's the fifth Pixie, and I feel like...none of us really want that? It's kind of a weird situation. I really don't trust his judgment and it's kind of frustrating that all of Charles's material must now be filtered through him. I really hope they try somebody else soon.

It continues to surprise me how hands-off Charles is about his own work. In terms of putting out Human Crime, he's just like uhh someone wanted a song so we did it? And he also speaks at length about not micromanaging and just letting others (mainly Tom?) call all the shots.

I can't say I like that, but if he's just in that headspace of wanting to let go a bit, good for him. I guess. But I worry there's kind of an indifference to that. And I worry that is the problem with BTE and possibly future albums...a feeling of indifference.

Indifference, yeah, or maybe unassuming, like he's the one person who doesn't care about the legacy being tarnished? Not saying that it's being tarnished in my opinion. Still can't help thinking about Lucas versus Lynch.

Also, is this still the Doggerel thread?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2022 :  09:40:35  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It definitely is. I think them making their third record together and us having access to a podcast where you could literally hear Dalgety proud of forcing some bad ideas on the band is as perfect a time to discuss him and what he's doing with the Pixies.

The question may be, if it WASN'T for Dalgety, what would we be getting? Worse albums? Better? Fewer? More? Genuinely don't know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000