Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2022 :  02:07:15  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cardiff - Apr 1-3

Pixies are on the bill

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/eggrn3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/eggrn3/acts/ac3fzc

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2022 :  02:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're on the bill.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2022 :  09:04:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Say what
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2022 :  10:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you heard me.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2022 :  10:12:57  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh okay then. I'm on the 6 Music Festival bill too yay! Only I'm not really, because I'm not even a singer songwriter. Can you begin to see where my confusion lies now?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2022 :  07:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Hall at Cardiff University... just over 1,500 capacity. Smallest show they'll have played here for a while.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2022 :  08:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their appeal is becoming more selective
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2022 :  10:30:27  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Cardiff

https://twitter.com/MrBlackFrancis/status/1509192679040630788
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  07:16:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heads up. Lammo talking to the band from in 2nd hour of show he just announced on 6 Music - so that's 5pm to 6pm BST in that hour - 45 minutes ttime
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  07:49:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can hear them rehearsing Human Crime in background right now while Lammo is interviewing someone else
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  10:08:27  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pixies just started playing - first band of the evening - tearing the roof off launching into Gouge Away and then Bone Machine - could be listening to a recording of them 30 year ago. They're on form tonight!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_6music

Human Crime and now Subbacultcha - and Frank is absolutely screaming like a fucking banshee

Wave Of Mutilation now -
Isla de Encanta (I think - one of the Spanish ones wayway)
Mr Grieves
Where is my mind?

Edited by - pot on 04/01/2022 10:21:52
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  10:56:20  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What an awesome set! (before the broadcast was shut off)

There was a post on Pixies Facebook today saying the set would be up for viewing later tonight sometime on BBC iPlayer, hope it’s the entire set! What we heard on the radio was awesome!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  11:11:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aye I was sitting here in my underpants listening to them as I was on the way to have a bath when they came on - earlier than expected! Annoying they only gave us half an hour but it was longer than I expected. Can't watch iPlayer as I refuse to pay for a TV Licence/give money to the BBC so I'm not allowed. I'll wait for the DVD..

It'll be on BBC sounds soon and probably/hopefully the full set on video on the iPlayer - if you listen to Steve Lamaqc's show before this to on BBC Sounds around 1h40m in you can hear them rehearsing the whole of Human Crime in the background quite clearly while he is interviewing someone on the phone.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  14:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An excellent night.

The band had to wait onstage for a few minutes in order to time the set with the radio broadcast.

Charles on exceptionally fine voice, I thought.

As reported elsewhere, he confirmed the release of the next album - 'Doggerel' - for September.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  14:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Were you there Ziggy? What was the crowd like? Am looking forward to watching it on iplayer.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  15:45:02  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jealous.

They were on fine form tonight what I heard on the radio.

Little Simz played tonight as well - not yet heard about it because there was no live TV so I went for a box set. More I hear about her the more I like, what a stunning looking young negress she is. Very talented actress in Top Boy and her music is great too - she's not just some jumped up grime artist from London her band are really good like sometimes quite chilled acid jazz vibes. Youtube her up and see.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2022 :  05:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simz is great, seen her a few times now. Looking forward to the Pixies set, couldn't face the drive to Cardiff..
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2022 :  05:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Were you there Ziggy? What was the crowd like? Am looking forward to watching it on iplayer.

Yes, glad I was quick off the mark since the tickets went very quickly!

Good crowd down the front as ever.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2022 :  11:43:58  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Setlist from the iplayer rip I downloaded from dime (http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=727748) and https://ln5.sync.com/dl/0220c0960/jia333p8-vzfeusxm-txfnwajv-it2z7frz for those who want a copy:
Gouge Away
Bone Machine
Human Crime
U-Mass
Wave Of Mutilation
Isla de Encanta
Mr. Grieves
Where Is My Mind?
Here Comes Your Man
Vamos
Nimrod's Son
La La Love You
Monkey Gone To Heaven
Hey
Tame
Debaser
Head On [Jesus & Mark Chain]
Planet Of Sound

Frank looked really good, but just the single Pixies 2.0 tune? Guess they know how their bread is buttered!
But having just bought tickets to see them in December, I'm impressed with how good they're sounding. My show is a COP + SR combo, so that'll be great!

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian

Edited by - benji on 04/02/2022 12:05:06
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2022 :  17:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

Setlist from the iplayer rip I downloaded from dime (http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=727748) and https://ln5.sync.com/dl/0220c0960/jia333p8-vzfeusxm-txfnwajv-it2z7frz for those who want a copy:
Gouge Away
Bone Machine
Human Crime
U-Mass
Wave Of Mutilation
Isla de Encanta
Mr. Grieves
Where Is My Mind?
Here Comes Your Man
Vamos
Nimrod's Son
La La Love You
Monkey Gone To Heaven
Hey
Tame
Debaser
Head On [Jesus & Mark Chain]
Planet Of Sound

Frank looked really good, but just the single Pixies 2.0 tune? Guess they know how their bread is buttered!
But having just bought tickets to see them in December, I'm impressed with how good they're sounding. My show is a COP + SR combo, so that'll be great!

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian

Yeah, that's interesting about only one 2.0 song. If I were to watch / listen to this it would only be for the 2.0 songs.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2022 :  04:18:47  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Less 2.0 = More 1.0

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2022 :  09:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their set is on Youtube, professionally shot. Frank is looking slim!

https://youtu.be/Vwlp00pIAyk
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2022 :  09:28:11  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not half. Looks like he's been spending some lockdown time down the gym. Well done Frank! Explains the freshness and energy of the performance somewhat probably.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2022 :  11:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OOooooh awesome! WOW FRANK LOOKS THIN!!! That is just crazy. I'm happy for him. I am very surprised there is only one 2.0 song. It's kind of strange in my opinion, because it almost broadcasts the (incorrect) message "none of the 2.0 songs are as good/relevant/whatever." I mean I get that a large portion of the audience doesn't want to hear that stuff, but personally that would be the most desired songs I'd want to experience live. And I'm used to Frank kind of doing what he wants and playing without a setlist and just going with his (now thin) gut.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2022 :  14:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he does look good, and man he sounds good too. That opening gouge away was great.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2022 :  22:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It really is strange though seeing Human Crime among those. It really emphasizes to me how it sounds like a completely different band. I actually really like the song and its grown on me a huge amount. But its like from another universe as the other stuff. Hmm.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2022 :  04:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

It really is strange though seeing Human Crime among those. It really emphasizes to me how it sounds like a completely different band. I actually really like the song and its grown on me a huge amount. But its like from another universe as the other stuff. Hmm.

This is 100% accurate in my opinion. There is only one 2.0 song that has a chance of fooling anyone into thinking it was by the same band who made the 1.0 stuff, and that is Los Surfers Muertos, all because of Joey. All other 2.0 is Frank Black and the ________ which he decided to also all "Pixies." I love it all but I just think of the 2.0 stuff as FBF with a modern backing band. It's kind of like how if you think of the new Star Wars movies as fan fiction you may hate them less.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2022 :  07:33:41  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems to be a bit like Mark E Smith's famous line: "If it's me, your granny and a bongo drum the it's The Fall". If it's got Joey on the guitar and Dave on the drums, then it's a Pixies song.

FB&TC's had a country twang in some their music which is absent from the rest of FBF's catalogue, and it's not favourite country music sound really but I can tolerate it - I really don't see how anyone can compare the latest 2.0 stuff with that era at all. I'm not dissing the Catholics at all by saying that.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2022 :  09:01:11  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is 100% accurate in my opinion. There is only one 2.0 song that has a chance of fooling anyone into thinking it was by the same band who made the 1.0 stuff, and that is Los Surfers Muertos, all because of Joey.

Oh, I disagree with that. That's why I'm always saying Indy Cindie sounds like the Pixies to me. I think at least half that album sounds literally like classic Pixies and I swear if those songs magically time traveled and came out on Bossanova nobody would know the difference. I wish they did some of it live.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2022 :  09:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

This is 100% accurate in my opinion. There is only one 2.0 song that has a chance of fooling anyone into thinking it was by the same band who made the 1.0 stuff, and that is Los Surfers Muertos, all because of Joey.

Oh, I disagree with that. That's why I'm always saying Indy Cindie sounds like the Pixies to me. I think at least half that album sounds literally like classic Pixies and I swear if those songs magically time traveled and came out on Bossanova nobody would know the difference. I wish they did some of it live.

I know you disagree with my point as it relates to IC, but you agree as it relates to HC and BTE
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2022 :  15:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, he's thin & hairless. Hopefully those aren't signs of ill health -- sorry, but at his age a small part of me does wonder/worry. Maybe there's a tragic motivation behind the spate of new records.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2022 :  16:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOH! Hope Charles is OK during the bridge for Tame. That made my heart stop for a second.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  05:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what happened there? :O

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  05:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://youtu.be/Vwlp00pIAyk?t=2538

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  05:35:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm he does have a bit of a Duncan Goodhew look about him there if I'm not mistaken? Oh dear I hope he's not unwell.

Incidentally, alopecia has been cited as a side effect of the covid jabs and Pfizer (who sponsored the Oscars) have a new alopecia drug coming on the market. Make of that what you will, call me some names or whatever I'm just saying what I see happening with my own eyes.

Edited by - pot on 04/11/2022 05:35:29
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2022 :  08:50:46  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"This report is limited by the fact that cause and effect cannot be clearly identified in any of the cases. Extensive patient histories were taken to rule out other triggers of AA, such as illnesses or psychological stress, but given the patients' already increased risk of AA from comorbidities and/or family histories, hair loss following vaccination could be coincidental."

Hmmm. Anyway, it looks like the bridge was too much for Charles, either in his throat or breathing that much can make you feel faint. I dunno. It honestly scared me! But he kicked ass the whole rest of the show.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000