Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Which of these FB albums should I listen to?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  14:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've never listened to bluefinger, svn fngrs, or the golem

always nice to have something to look forward to

which album should i start with?

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  14:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluefinger

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  15:16:00  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And svn fngrs is like the hand of bluefinger, if that makes sense. NSE is also slightly underrated IMO and has some memorable moments (Rabbits) It gets a bad rap because noone really understands why it was called Nonstoperotik.

Edited by - pot on 09/23/2019 15:16:26
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  15:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would listen to them in chronological order, but that’s just me
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  20:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys, i also hadn't heard Christmass and decided to play the first song and now i've got that track stuck on repeat hahaha

it's super catchy and the production is lush!
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  01:24:15  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Christmass is like a deep tracks present for the uber fan.

Bluefinger has my favourite song of these albums.
Svn Fngrs is my probably my favourite album of these.
NSE has some great songs. It’s the one I like more every time I hear it.
One day after several years I realized how great Corrina, Corrina is,
about a year after I started always having to play Virginia Reel 3 or 4 times in a row.
Be sure to watch the Golem with the soundtrack before getting into the album.
It’s free to watch, I like free, watch that.
https://vimeo.com/15581812

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/24/2019 06:33:03
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  02:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on your mood, if you want some uptempo Frank Bluefinger and SVN FNGRS are great choices.

But if you want something a bit moodier and slow burning then go for the Golem. My favourite out of them is the Golem, though you're in for a treat with all of them!

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  03:18:35  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All 3 are spectacular. I would rank Svn slightly lower than the other two simply because it is more EP than album, and the Seus still annoys me after all these years.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  03:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

All 3 are spectacular. I would rank Svn slightly lower than the other two simply because it is more EP than album, and the Seus still annoys me after all these years.

“You are toast! You are banditio!”
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  04:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, listen to them in order and watch the Golem with the soundtrack first. Christmass, Bluefinger, Svn Fngrs, Der Golem. The live album from the netherlands is also a good document from the Fingers era. Come back later for NSE and Abbabubba if you're thirsting for more. (Though as mentioned above the Bluefinger outtake Virginia Reel found on the Abbabbuba collection is essential listening when working your way through Bluefinger, Polly's Into Me and Getaway Oil - particularly the live version - are also great).
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  15:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

thanks guys, i also hadn't heard Christmass and decided to play the first song and now i've got that track stuck on repeat hahaha

it's super catchy and the production is lush!

you can’t miss with Christmass
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  16:56:23  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made a mix based on Svn Fngrs a few years ago that was Svn Fngrs plus some abbabubba tracks. I call it Svn Elvn Fngrs. I'm not sure what was what on Abbabubba in terms of which sessions the tracks came from (I'm sure someone around here does), but it fits together nicely for me. Polly's Into Me definitely sounds like the same session as 7 but I don't know. Anyway, when I want some Svn Fngrs in my life, I almost always put this custom mix on instead of the original release. For me it flows great and sounds like it works as a full album. I also made a reel to reel and a cassette of it so I could normalize and fine tune it across the tracks. I know that can be done digitally as well but, you know...

Yes indeeders, folks - I'm a nerd.

This is it if you want to try it:

Svn Elvn Fngrs

1 Serious Curious
2 The Seus (Charles Normal Remix)
3 Garbage Heap
4 Half Man
5 I Sent Away
6 Polly's Into Me
7 Seven Fingers
8 The Tale Of Lonesome Fetter
9 When They Come To Murder Me
10 Ghost Coming
11 Virginia Reel

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/24/2019 17:23:47
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  10:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I made a mix based on Svn Fngrs a few years ago that was Svn Fngrs plus some abbabubba tracks. I call it Svn Elvn Fngrs. I'm not sure what was what on Abbabubba in terms of which sessions the tracks came from (I'm sure someone around here does), but it fits together nicely for me. Polly's Into Me definitely sounds like the same session as 7 but I don't know. Anyway, when I want some Svn Fngrs in my life, I almost always put this custom mix on instead of the original release. For me it flows great and sounds like it works as a full album. I also made a reel to reel and a cassette of it so I could normalize and fine tune it across the tracks. I know that can be done digitally as well but, you know...

Svn Elvn Fngrs

1 Serious Curious
3 Garbage Heap
4 Half Man
5 I Sent Away
6 Polly's Into Me
7 Seven Fingers
10 Ghost Coming
11 Virginia Reel

Wait, wait, wait, what does that mean you made a cassette of it? And a reel to reel? What year is this?

But also: Awesome playlist! That would've been a great album.

A hobby of mine is making pretend FBF albums out of songs from all over the place, or making up dream setlists as my playlist for the day. Nerd fun for sure. But you took it to next level.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  12:21:00  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bedbug: yes and yes :)

I’m a musician, music nerd, and vintage gear fan. Have been for decades - I was hipster before it was hip to be hipster.

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  14:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Svn Elvn Fngrs

1 Serious Curious
3 Garbage Heap
4 Half Man
5 I Sent Away
6 Polly's Into Me
7 Seven Fingers
10 Ghost Coming
11 Virginia Reel

Serious Curious was the only outtake from Svn Fngrs. Polly's Into Me and Virginia Reel are Bluefinger outtakes. Ghost Coming is from the NSE years, though not sure if it was recorded during those sessions or if it was a one off.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  10:05:21  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

quote:

Serious Curious was the only outtake from Svn Fngrs. Polly's Into Me and Virginia Reel are Bluefinger outtakes. Ghost Coming is from the NSE years, though not sure if it was recorded during those sessions or if it was a one off.

I figured as much. I dislike most of Abbabubba though and I think Svn Fngrs is too short, so I grabbed my choice cuts from Abba, and I like how these songs go together - it's a win win for me

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/26/2019 10:13:55
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  02:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever happened with this? Have you listened to all of them yet, tame?

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  08:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been rotating between the new DIIV album (it's good!) and the first half of Bluefinger. It's so-so. Tbh, I've never enjoyed the FB/FB&C albums, except for the odd song here or there ("Angst" on Sunday Sunny) and the first two FB albums which are pretty good. (I am, however, obsessed with Gyaneshwar -- it's already my favourite non-Pixies song from Charles!)
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  17:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I consider Bluefinger a masterpiece, I can't think of any half of it being better or worse. It's just this amazing whole work.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  02:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I consider Bluefinger a masterpiece, I can't think of any half of it being better or worse. It's just this amazing whole work.

Hopefully it grows on me! Many of my favourite albums are ones that I initially responded to with a lukewarm reaction.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  02:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still skip around on Bluefinger. Sorry everybody!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  07:50:39  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Different strokes for different folks, but for my money Bluefinger is only topped by TOTY in the solo albums era.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  15:28:03  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah like I'm not exactly sure what a fan of Frank Black even wants if they don't enjoy Bluefinger. I'd agree with that, maybe top a top 3 solo album for me. TOTY, self-titled, and Bluefinger.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000