Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Beneath The Eyrie - Review (soft spoiler)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  11:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, It got it. Don’t ask me how. As a member of the Brotherhood of the Unknown, I am not meant to share my secrets. Only my feelings.
For information, I only listened to the first episode of the podcast and that was enough for me. I always skip the preface when I read a book now. I may come back to it when I finish the book in case I feel the need.
So. I’ll try not to spoil to much. But I will a little. You are warned. You have the choice.
Do what you will NOW.

I’ll make a “live” review. That is to say, I’ll write while listening to the songs for the first time.
So, excuse my broken English and the fact that I’ll be frank and don’t blame the Messenger.

DON'T TRUST SPOILERS

Thank you and no hard feelings ;)

++++

Edited by - Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo on 08/12/2019 11:51:02

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  12:04:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, so you like it a lot?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  12:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Ok, so you like it a lot?

++++

Edited by - Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo on 08/12/2019 11:51:34
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  21:39:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can you describe Daniel Boone? Soundwise and lyrically?

Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  00:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:

Can you describe Daniel Boone? Soundwise and lyrically?

++++

Edited by - Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo on 08/12/2019 11:52:11
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  00:33:41  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cool!

No Paz vocal? Co-lead?

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  00:35:57  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks btw!

Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  11:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cocteau Twins and Pixies are my two favorite bands, so hearing them used in the same sentence gets me a little hot and bothered
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  11:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for spoiling is up.

++++
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  12:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found it out in the wild and I've been listening nonstop for the past week. I'll avoid specific "spoilery" comments or song notes and just speak generally...

I think it's really great. As a longtime fan who was generally skeptical of IC/HC, to me there's some serious Frank Black mojo coming back on this album. I don't think I've been as excited or engrossed by a batch of Charles tunes since the Bluefinger/Svn Fngrs era. It's also the first post-Kim Pixies album that really sounds like a functioning band, everyone has standout moments here. If Indie Cindy sounded like a bunch of hyper-processed protools demos and Head Carrier was an overpolished, supercompressed chunk of "modern rock", this album (while still fairly slick and produced) is comparatively ramshackle and homespun.

The low-key, quieter numbers are really where the record shines.

I don't know if it will be seen as a great return to form by the public at large or the rock media, but I think longtime deep Frank heads might get some really good vibes off this album.

Edited by - anazgnos on 08/16/2019 12:33:37
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  19:17:58  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  22:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the later tracks is quintessential Charles Thompson IV. Amazing. Really love the opening track too - Dave's drumming sounds great. After Catfish there's a bit of a lull though. I won't go into too much detail other than saying it reminded me a bit too much of his songs in the Lee Hazlewood album and also bloody Smash Mouth but I'm pretty sure further listens will make me appreciate them more.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  23:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks team!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  00:01:11  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anazgnos

I found it out in the wild and I've been listening nonstop for the past week. I'll avoid specific "spoilery" comments or song notes and just speak generally...

I think it's really great. As a longtime fan who was generally skeptical of IC/HC, to me there's some serious Frank Black mojo coming back on this album. I don't think I've been as excited or engrossed by a batch of Charles tunes since the Bluefinger/Svn Fngrs era. It's also the first post-Kim Pixies album that really sounds like a functioning band, everyone has standout moments here. If Indie Cindy sounded like a bunch of hyper-processed protools demos and Head Carrier was an overpolished, supercompressed chunk of "modern rock", this album (while still fairly slick and produced) is comparatively ramshackle and homespun.

I don't know if it will be seen as a great return to form by the public at large or the rock media, but I think longtime deep Frank heads might get some really good vibes off this album.

This is actually very high praise
Bluefinger and SVN FNGRS are pure gold

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  15:11:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Catfish Kate is just so lame. Lame! I like it but it's lame. I'm not no longer interested in anything else. It's like a Pixies song that an algorithm from the future could come up with?

I can't expect anything else I suppose since music is limited in what it can be.

Next album they'll join the 90's alternative bands doing 80's synth rock and pop just like it sounded in the 80's bandwagon. Looking forward to that.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  15:13:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry there's too many new Pixies album threads going and I've been on Sabbatical so I decided to share my views on Catfish Kate on this thread. Feel free to carry on discussing the technical nuances of Joey's guitar
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  22:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't consider this better than Bluefinger. However, I expect some critics will be calling this a long lost Catholics album. Some of it reminds me a lot of Show Me Your Tears. Very much a kiss-off album.

Edited by - The Maharal on 08/17/2019 23:00:50
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  23:51:56  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you read the Record Collector interview (in another thread)
The writer also connects it with SMYT

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  04:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Catfish Kate is just so lame. Lame! I like it but it's lame. I'm not no longer interested in anything else. It's like a Pixies song that an algorithm from the future could come up with?

I can't expect anything else I suppose since music is limited in what it can be.

Next album they'll join the 90's alternative bands doing 80's synth rock and pop just like it sounded in the 80's bandwagon. Looking forward to that.

Honest take.

I dig it, in the current context
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  06:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Wouldn't consider this better than Bluefinger. However, I expect some critics will be calling this a long lost Catholics album. Some of it reminds me a lot of Show Me Your Tears. Very much a kiss-off album.

As I thought HC was a Catholics album and nobody agreed with me, and I thought IC was a proper Pixies album and everyone said HC was the "come back album", is this one going to sound nothing like a Catholics album and everyone will call it that, just to drive me insane?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  08:59:51  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
HC was like The Golem, and very Catholics from time to time
Still, I don't think Talent, Baal's Back or Classic Masher sound like The Catholics

IC is very Pixies, signature Joey everyway

I just think that HC is better and more to the point
Don't like the vocals on IC and the songs are too long

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  09:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you read the Record Collector interview (in another thread)
The writer also connects it with SMYT

Yeah read it afterwards. I think the songwriting is more in line with the Catholics and Honeycomb. There's a lot of lyrics centred around his divorce. I guess some of the music is a bit country-ish too (Death Horizon is lovely and it'd fit snugly on SMYT and Honeycomb).

I'm hearing hints of New House of the Pope, SSMVGD, Goodbye Lorraine, etc.

But then there are some tracks a bit more standard Pixies, one which might bring to mind Another Toe, another sounding a bit like Violent Femmes' Hallowed Ground, another a big beautiful slice of black-pop.

It's an interesting album, not sure where I stand with it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  11:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anazgnos

I just fired up a PTP client for the first item in about 10 years....and well, wow, it really is out there...

Resisted the urge to download. I waited 20+ years between TLM and Bagboy, I can hang on a few more weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  03:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who have heard it, how does St. Nazaire sound?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  08:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it a lot, it's one of the better tracks on the album, albeit with the caveat that it owes a hell of a lot to the Clash.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  09:48:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Honest take.

I dig it, in the current context

I just feel that the new stuff is bordering on self-parody, but not necessarilly in a terrible way.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  19:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found it and didn’t want to wait any longer. I’ve already ordered 2 like a good fan should. Listened through a few times. It’s good, quite different to me. Don’t want to say much until everyone else has it. But, Daniel Boone is surprisingly beautiful. Doesn’t sound like a Pixies song but it kinda washes over you. Curious how people will feel about it. Band sounds very cohesive, like others mentioned. And it’s always great to have a batch of new BF tunes to chew on. The man is a national treasure.
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  22:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure how I feel about the album overall yet. Like some are saying it seems kind of more like a Catholics album to me than Pixies. I'll say on first listen Daniel Boone is definitely a stand out to me though.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  23:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of era of Catholics does it remind people of? First 2 albums or DITS onwards? Nadine, Hermaphrodites, Whiskey in shoes rocking Catholics or intricate numbers like Dog in the Sand, St Francis Dam etc...just curious on thoughts

Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  23:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking along the lines of Show Me Your Tears era with some tracks from first listen.

Edited by - Skatealex1 on 09/04/2019 23:51:43
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  00:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far, BTE is disappointing because it's too short, and some songs are too unamibitious / harmless for my taste

But vocally, BF is doing great, and I love most vocal harmonies and subtleties, Paz's contribution is really valuable
This is my Fate, Long Rider, Los Surfers Muertos, Bird of Prey and Death Horizon are the real gems for me
The singles (On Graveyard Hill and Catfish Kate) are not good indicators of the overall tone of the album

I really hope the left-overs / demos quench my Pixies thirst more

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  09:00:11  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having not heard the album yet, but going off of what was just said... I wish the band/producer didn’t feel the need to limit each new album to only 12 songs. Come on, give us 14-15 like we all know they can!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  09:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skatealex1

I'm thinking along the lines of Show Me Your Tears era with some tracks from first listen.

Haven't heard the album yet other than the first two singles, but this statement is not what I want to be hearing. SMYT, while fine FB&C's stuff, is not what I would choose 2.0 to sound like. Imagine a 2.0 album where people say, "reminds me of TOTY or Bluefinger."
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  09:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

Having not heard the album yet, but going off of what was just said... I wish the band/producer didn’t feel the need to limit each new album to only 12 songs. Come on, give us 14-15 like we all know they can!

Agreed, especially when they are shorter songs in general. This album is 39 minutes. 6-7 more wouldn’t hurt at all.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  10:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

Agreed, especially when they are shorter songs in general. This album is 39 minutes. 6-7 more wouldn’t hurt at all.

Exactly
Suffering from Pixies deprivation
Dalgety is cruel
Especially now I know some of those demos are better than, say, Ready for Love

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  16:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got to disagree - I think 39 minutes is perfect for a pop/rock record. It's okay to go beyond it if one is attempting to make an album that prides itself on eclecticism (White Album/London Calling/TOTY) or wants to be an ambituous 'statement' album (OK Computer), but otherwise many albums in the 50 minute range suffer from bloat. The extended release means you get both a concise/snappy album with minimal filler, +9 songs to satiate one's appetite. Sounds great to me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000