Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  15:10:05  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a $50 brokerage fee on my $100 purchase. DHL, you suck.

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/17/2019 15:10:45
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  15:43:51  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

21 songs in total, more than an hour of music... the most since teenager of the year. whew

THIS.

We’re all the way back. Remember these days guys (and Jeepster!) it’s been awhile!

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

SmurfyX
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  17:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically I think the album proper is absolutely the best thing possible right now-- I'm really happy the album doesn't sound as flat as Head Carrier, but I honestly hope even with the improvement they go with a different producer for their next effort. That being said, I LOVE BTE. It's just great. It feels good, it feels awesome, the lyrics work for me, the music is fucking beautiful and Daniel Boone is most fantastic track they've ever released IMO. It doesn't sound like anything else to me, but only the Pixies could make it.

And on top of THAT, the DEMOS ARE AWESOME!!!! Beneath the Marigold is the coolest shit!! And Chapel Hill sounds like it came off the fucking purple tape, its that' fucking good. It's like they just were like lmao what if we just dumped our craziest shit in 30 years on some fucking b-sides whatever who cares. YOU JOKING???

I know they'll probably never do a dual-release like this again with demos/b-sides attached to an album, so I'm gonna soak up the fact that we basically got 2 LP's in a single month from the best band that ever existed.

It's a REALLY great time to be a huge fan of this band. Can't wait till they come back to America playing some of these.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  18:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey's sublime on these songs. He's never sounded like this before. It's overwhelmingly good
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  21:42:07  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shit I thought you guys were just being silly with the demos, but honestly they really are amazing. Joey is on fire, it's like a whole album of the Kitchen Tapes. Stunning.
Obviously the deluxe boxset is sold out...

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  22:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

So does anyone have the deluxe LP? Mine should be showing up tomorrow.

so here i am, waiting and waiting for the deluxe lp to arrive.
i even received an email last week saying that it was on its way.

today i double checked the tracking info, and apparently it's already been delivered to a random newsagent's nearby on monday, without letting me know.
fucking hell. jesus fucking christ. (excuse my french.)
thanks a lot, ups.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  22:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under the Marigold could have been on Bluefinger
Reminds me of bits of Angels / Discotheque / Lolita / Test Pilot Blues

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  22:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Shit I thought you guys were just being silly with the demos, but honestly they really are amazing. Joey is on fire, it's like a whole album of the Kitchen Tapes. Stunning.
Obviously the deluxe boxset is sold out...

Denis

They have loads at the merch desk, if you're going in the near future.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  23:38:51  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the podcast I got the idea these were really the B-sides and not demos?

Tracks recorded but not used on the album?

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/17/2019 23:39:21
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  23:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

21 songs in total, more than an hour of music... the most since teenager of the year. whew

THIS.

We’re all the way back. Remember these days guys (and Jeepster!) it’s been awhile!

Well FMRM has 28 I think and BLD+DW which came out the same day added up to 29. But I get what you are saying. I am as excited right now as the day I picked up BLD/DW from the record shop without knowing a single song on them, heading home knowing I was in for an epic few weeks.

I guess what is really interesting is with this double release the Pixies are following a bit of an FB/FB&C flow with getting a whole bunch of songs out there as opposed curating and (over?) polishing 10-12 tracks every 3 years.

Anyway what a great time to be a FB fan.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  01:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pitchfork review is 6.7
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  01:46:39  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

quote:

THIS.

Well FMRM has 28 I think and BLD+DW which came out the same day added up to 29. But I get what you are saying. I am as excited right now as the day I picked up BLD/DW from the record shop without knowing a single song on them, heading home knowing I was in for an epic few weeks.

I guess what is really interesting is with this double release the Pixies are following a bit of an FB/FB&C flow with getting a whole bunch of songs out there as opposed curating and (over?) polishing 10-12 tracks every 3 years.

Anyway what a great time to be a FB fan.

Of course :) I was more agreeing with the sentiment rather than the assertion that it’s the biggest volume of songs since TOTY. It’s been a long time since we got a cornucopia release is all and honestly I thought those days were over - I thought wrong! Thankfully!

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  01:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Pitchfork review is 6.7

6.7. Wow. I expected 6.6 or 6.5, but wow 6.7 is really good.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  02:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:

Pitchfork review is 6.7

6.7. Wow. I expected 6.6 or 6.5, but wow 6.7 is really good.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Very good

Edited by - Sprite on 09/18/2019 02:21:26
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  03:21:42  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The bass line on I Just Can't Break It To You... splendid.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  03:55:53  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pitchfork review is 6.7

The review is not THAT bad. I find it strange that they single out Lone Rider though. It's the song I like least, and I don't think it would've sounded out of place on Indie Cindy, that they hated so much. It's a carbon copy of Greens & Blues.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  04:15:17  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
“I slept at the bar - I’m not feelin’ fresh...”

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  04:25:59  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man Pitchfork blows :P

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  05:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Yes, it wasn't clear
They recorded demos in a studio near Charles' place in early 2018

Dalgety listened to those, and chose among them at Dreamland
They re-recorded some (or at least partially) like Chapel Hill and Caught in a Dream
The demo sessions probably included other songs that were eventually released on BTE, but those early versions are not included on the LP

I think I heard that 6 songs from BTE were written at Dreamland (Death Horizon, Graveyard Hill, Daniel Boone... not sure which are the other ones, maybe Catfish Kate, Los Surfer Muertos...). Meaning that the other 6 probably existed as demos in addition to the 9 that were released last Firday.

Can someone confirm, from the podcast?

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"

Edited by - sdon on 09/18/2019 05:16:28
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  05:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What with the 12 podcasts, the album proper and the demos us FB archeologists are going to be kept busy for years...
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  05:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pitchfork review is 6.7

I saw that this morning. A good rating for them, but still too low - pitchfork seems to have some bone to pick with the reunited pixies. Their reviews for the other two records were unrealistically low too.
guess pixies aren't hipster enough for pitchfork.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  05:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a lot of lame stuff in that review I think, but yes, the guy had some positives to say about it.
Go to Top of Page

dthomas850
- FB Fan -

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  05:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to thank Sprite for posting the demos. They sound frikkin' great! I hope someone can rip them to flac, it would be much appreciated!

Dan Thomas
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  05:37:43  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bailed out on the podcasts part way through Episode 2, but given how great the material came out I’m picking back up and listening. In Episode 2, around the 18:30 mark, Tom lists the 3 songs they’re going to work on that day - This is my Fate, Ready for Love, and something.that sounds like “Knock Boots”... anyone know what that is? I mean I know what knockin’ boots is :) but what song is it? One that didn’t make the cut on either the album or demos? Working title of something? Did I mishear?

Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  06:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sprite you have made my week!!!

These demos are so excellent. I am so glad this accompanies the record.

I prefer the loose raw sound of this.

What a brilliant batch of songs.

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  06:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

And the Fnac website mentions a Fnac exclusive (they had exclusive coloured vinyl for the last Pixies records too: orange Indie Cindy and green Head Carrier), but this time it's not explained what the exclusive is exactly.
https://www.fnac.com/a13662884/Pixies-Beneath-The-Eyrie-Exclusivite-Fnac-Vinyle-album
Anybody knows?
(Or would it also be the white vinyl? Maybe Fnac is the only one selling this in France, making it an "exclusive" for Fnac in France?)

in case anyone else cares, the fnac website now says that their exclusive is the record on white vinyl.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  06:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That Pitchfork review is total bullshit to me. I just don't understand most critical reviews of Pixies music, none of it ever aligns with what I actually hear. Like when HC came out all the reviews were like "this sounds like classic Pixies! THE PIXIES ARE BACK!" when to me it sounded nothing remotely like classic Pixies, and IC did. Now the same thing is happening, BTE now sounds like classic Pixies and the previous two didn't? I still don't get it.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  06:53:03  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

That Pitchfork review is total bullshit to me. I just don't understand most critical reviews of Pixies music, none of it ever aligns with what I actually hear. Like when HC came out all the reviews were like "this sounds like classic Pixies! THE PIXIES ARE BACK!" when to me it sounded nothing remotely like classic Pixies, and IC did. Now the same thing is happening, BTE now sounds like classic Pixies and the previous two didn't? I still don't get it.

Agree 100%. Pitchfork sucks, especially where Pixies and FBF are concerned. I think they genuinely dislike the Pixies and Charles. It’s a weird thing. Also, I’m convinced they only listen to the new albums once, MAYBE twice before issuing their decree, which is usually a beat down... this time around it was more of a grudging back-handed compliment.

Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  07:07:49  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
and something.that sounds like “Knock Boots”... anyone know what that is? I mean I know what knockin’ boots is :) but what song is it?

They do mention what Knock Boots becomes. I do not recall, but it is in there.

One of the episodes about Joey working out his parts.

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/18/2019 07:19:27
Go to Top of Page

SmurfyX
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  07:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

He was just saying he missed recording b-sides, which is why the album exists, to sort of satisfy the weird out of place music that occurred on those kind of tracks. Only a couple of them were played around with for the album (Chapel Hill & Caught In A Dream), but the others are just the initial demos recorded by the band before sessions began.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  07:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pitchfork is clearly on the "No Deal" thing.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  08:43:23  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure Knock Boots is St. Nazaire. You can hear 2:30 of the 4th episode.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  09:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pitchfork is clearly on the "No Deal" thing.

A bit mean but the fact is #NoBIGDeal is closer to the truth.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  10:03:59  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm pretty sure Knock Boots is St. Nazaire. You can hear 2:30 of the 4th episode.

It is

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  10:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished the demos (thanks Sprite, SmurphyX, and all who helped) and, after first listen, I love them, but “better” or “as good” as BTE? I can’t get with that. But shoot, don’t want to seem like I’m knocking them. They rock. Too much Frank is not enough.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000