Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kozaru
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  16:47:25  Show Profile
It has been almost 4 years since I have bought any music other than by the man himself. One exception is a Cure tribute album I bought, completely in Spanish. Other than that, it's been my old-ass collection of CDs and MP3s. I just thought I'd share that. i think it says alot about the quality of music out there.

Chris

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  17:26:48  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
i'm sorry :( broaden your horizons buddy.

white stripes, elvis costello and zwan have all released great albums in that time.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  17:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Get a job and buy some variation...... you must be really bored with only 4 cd's.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

Omer
= Cult of Ray =

275 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  06:10:55  Show Profile
Oh man, you're missing out. The White Stripes, Modest Mouse, Solomon Burke, Lou Reed, The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - there are just countless great albums out there, old and new. You should seek them out some more.

Omer
Go to Top of Page

cuntman
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  06:55:31  Show Profile
nice one kozaru, im with you on that one .
dont bother with any new stuff,white stripes are boring and so is everything else........
frank is the safest bet,try getting some bootlegs they keep you intrested until the next album.

AARRRRGHH
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  07:27:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kozaru

i think it says alot about the quality of music out there.

I think it says more about your curiosity for music.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  07:28:04  Show Profile
quote:

i think it says alot about the quality of music out there.

It says more about you not giving a shit enough to find the good stuff. Like everything else, you have to work on it. You won't find it on TV or radio.

"The Cult of Raymond"
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  07:48:40  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cuntman

dont bother with any new stuff,white stripes are boring and so is everything else........

uhhh, yeah. you're a fag.
Go to Top of Page

cuntman
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  08:06:38  Show Profile
like yeah,, like hello........like durr

AARRRRGHH
Go to Top of Page

Kozaru
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  08:57:32  Show Profile
Didn't say I don't listen to new stuff, just don't buy it.
Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  09:13:07  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
If your taste is narrow, at least it's impeccable ;)

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  09:38:58  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage

well you said your collection of mp3s is old-ass as well as your collection of CDs, so you indicated that you don't listen to anything newer than 4 years other than FB.

basically, you and cuntman are queermos.
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  12:02:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ebb Vicious
basically, you and cuntman are queermos.

I love how evolved this forum is.

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man =-
http://christophervanepps.iuma.com
Go to Top of Page

Kozaru
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  15:09:12  Show Profile
Exactly why I lurk and don't post. Probably the same reason the man himself avoids the forum.

Go to Top of Page

monkey40258
- FB Fan -

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  15:14:30  Show Profile
i really dont buy cds anymore unless they are indie, IF you aint Indie then you get downloaded
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  15:28:41  Show Profile
I've found *very* little new music to be of interest as well. At least there's plenty of old music out there, and it's new to me... the White Stripes can kiss my ass.
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  17:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cvanepps

I love how evolved this forum is.

oh brother.

kozaru: "the man himself" just posted a thread the other day, in the midst of me being a dick to everyone including him. so i'd say you're probably pretty far off the target, bucko. more like, he has a very busy life and better things to do with his time.

'if you ain't indie then you get downloaded'. do you weave your own clothing and grow your own food? no? ok then stop being a pretentious piece of shit.

edit: also as far as "old is better than new", lenny kravitz needs his retarded, ridiculous, ignorant opinion back.

Edited by - Ebb Vicious on 09/20/2003 17:29:19
Go to Top of Page

Kozaru
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  18:31:00  Show Profile
Ebb: Do the math. A forum dedicated to you and your band, and you have 10 posts? Something more than schedule dictates that I'm sure.

I posted this topic to make a point...... that new music is OK, but not worth paying for. Frank's tunes are worth my hard earned cash.. You, sir, missed the point and furthermore...you are a douche bag.

Edited by - Kozaru on 09/20/2003 18:34:19
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  18:45:11  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
what is a douche bag?

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

Kozaru
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  19:15:08  Show Profile
Is ASSHOLE a more universal term? :)

Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  21:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
I think that fans of Frank Black would really appreciate "Hearts of Oak" by Ted Leo and the Pharmacists.

Really, you guys should check it out. It's not my favourite CD or band or anything, I just think it't the kind of thing that FB fans would dig.

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  22:20:43  Show Profile
quote:

Ebb: Do the math. A forum dedicated to you and your band, and you have 10 posts? Something more than schedule dictates that I'm sure.

I posted this topic to make a point...... that new music is OK, but not worth paying for. Frank's tunes are worth my hard earned cash.. You, sir, missed the point and furthermore...you are a douche bag.

Citing the aburdity of FB having only 10 posts here is ridiculous. Do you actually think that his first priority is to post on this forum?? Yes, we are some of his fans, but I think it's commendable of HIM to go out there and continue making good albums like he does. Otherwise, Kozaru, you would have absolutely NOTHING to listen to. This is not an official website, BTW, and it's not like he's obligated to post here. Nor do I think it says anything about the quality of the website that he doesn't post here more often. Besides being FB, he DOES have a personal life, and I figure that he'll post when it's convenient for him.

To each his own, but I think that limiting yourself to either FB or old music is ludicrous. You are really going to miss out. I think even Frank Black would tell you that.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  22:22:02  Show Profile
BTW, Cuntman, you need to re-register with this forum and pick a different username. "Cuntman" is just immature and stupid.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  22:32:53  Show Profile
See what this thread's turned into? A name calling contest. Ebb threw the first stone by calling cuntman a fag (which, given his moniker, may not be all that accurate). I actually agree with Ebb about Elvis Costello and White Stripes but why resort to name calling?

Do I think it's silly that Kozaru has only bought FB&C's in the past 4 years? Yes. But that's his deal, not yours. He's not asking you to agree, he was making a comment about the quality level of music that he's investigated. Should he dig deeper? Probably. Omer had some good suggestions. But again, that's for him to look into. I suppose calling him names may motivate him to peruse other bands, but I honestly don't know.

I never understood the name calling thing about forums. I don't know what it is: lack of debate skills, tolerance of other viewpoints, etc. It can't be lack of intelligence because in order to be a FB fan, you must have a fair number of mellon seeds. Kind of a self-filtering mechanism, which is why I like this forum.

So please don't turn this into every other forum I've tried and abandoned. I like hanging out here.

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man =-
http://christophervanepps.iuma.com
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  22:53:51  Show Profile
Hey, cvanepps,

I hope you're not referring to ME calling anyone names. The worst I said was that Cuntman's name was immature and stupid. I am in agreement with you that we should respect people's opinion, I just didn't think that Kozaru's was a legitamate argument for him to insult the overall integrity of this forum. There are some quality people here, who are intelligent enough for debate without resorting to calling each other names, (yourself included) but
there are also unfortunately some who can't seem to grasp this concept. I know that Kozaru wasn't intentionally trying to start an argument when he posted originally, but it is a forum and his posting is subject to response from other forum members.

"...in order to be a FB fan, you must have a fair number of mellon seeds." I think this could not be more true. My response to Kozaru was not simply name-calling.

I think I used my mellon seeds.

Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

brank flack
- FB Fan -

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  02:03:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ebb Vicious

i'm sorry :( broaden your horizons buddy.

white stripes, elvis costello and zwan have all released great albums in that time.

they all suck.
Go to Top of Page

gracie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  07:06:56  Show Profile
I've just heard that Zwan have split up which is a shame because they were quite good and certainly DID NOT SUCK.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  07:14:44  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
I'm of the opinion that most groups these days suck, even the good ones just dont have the substance i'm looking for. I've been listening to the White Stripes, Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Modest Mouse, Yo La Tango....all very good groups, but not amazing. There are plenty of groups from the past that are the "real thing' if you will....and instead of listening to modern groups that remind me of the older ones.....the choice if obvious. I'm annoyed by, "its the Velvet Underground...with a new spin." I prefer the 'old' spin. Besides, when a lot of these groups were innovating in arrangements and sound....there was much more to it. I can see myself getting pretty tired, pretty fast of these newer bands.
Go to Top of Page

Kozaru
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  10:51:57  Show Profile
I just don't people understand that I DO listen to alot of newer music (Radio, MP3s, etc..) I just don't find it worth my hard earned cash. I guess I exaturated a little, as I purchased the Punk-O_Rama 8 2 CD set for $7. Great songs, nothing too mainstream, and a price you couldn't beat with a stick. I did find the personal attacks on my taste, judgement, and purchacing habits a bit unnerving.
Go to Top of Page

Omer
= Cult of Ray =

275 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  21:08:07  Show Profile
Kozaru - with all due respect (and I really mean it), you should've seen it comming :-)..
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  22:58:09  Show Profile
No offense meant, Kozaru.

Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  06:25:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by glacial906

Douglas Adams

sure seems that way.

-see jon spencer blues explosion live -thats an evening of thrills.
s all i have to add.

R
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  08:50:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blarg007

quote:

Douglas Adams

sure seems that way.

-see jon spencer blues explosion live -thats an evening of thrills.
s all i have to add.

R

i meant the douglas adams' quote -that's why i hate those stupid buzz lines...

R
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  12:32:19  Show Profile
I thought you meant what I said to Kozaru at first.

Yeah, the Douglas Adams quote seemed kind of fitting the way the board's been going these days.

(Although it has gotten a bit better in the last week or so.)
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  09:31:09  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Kozaru, I don't know if this has been posted anywhere in this thread/elsewhere or not, but a giant assortment of incredible bands/info on music is at

www.epitonic.com

they also have free downloads of at least a couple mp3s of each artist, as long as you do the free registration. Incredible encyclopedia of music knowledge, background, and cross-linking between bands, members and styles. You might want to check it out...
I swear I don't have anything to do w/this organization - I found it a year or so ago, and love it. Found a lot of new music this way. Also try the blackbox - you can store playlists of songs.

"Let x = x." - Laurie Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  18:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
quote:

Yeah, the Douglas Adams quote seemed kind of fitting the way the board's been going these days.

(Although it has gotten a bit better in the last week or so.)

jesus tap dancing christ. what is wrong with you, seriously? it's a message board, don't be so over dramatic.

kozaru is probably still proud of his ridiculous self-constraint.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000