Frank's Guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  17:38:56  Show Profile
Both times I've seen Frank Black live have been solo acoustic performances. Well, they were billed as such, even though when I saw him in Chicago back in Oct. 2002 he had Dave Philips and Scott Boutier playing with him. I was wondering if he only plays his acoustic guitar now. Wasn't his Telecaster stolen? Perhaps this information is available elsewhere on the webpage, but hell if I can find it.

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  17:42:17  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
He plays an electric guitar at shows as well, but I am not a guitar person so hell if I know what kind it is. Sorry. I am sure someone does. Someone? Oh, and his Telecaster WAS stolen, he has something else now - from the pictures I took it looks light blue or grey.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  19:00:38  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I'm pretty sure he still just plays a Telecaster and the Takamine acoustic. Back when I saw him in 1999 he had a Fender Jaguar as well, which he only used for a song or two (Sister Isabel).

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

edward897
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  19:08:31  Show Profile
Last two US tours he used the Takamine acoustic and two Telecasters. One Tele looks to be a 1972 Custom, the other is a homemade looking job. The homemade one has only a volume control and the Tele bridge pickup, no tone control or neck pickup.

Ed
Go to Top of Page

MMD
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  19:10:15  Show Profile
He was playing a Fender Tele. at the London Gig I guess it's a new one because if I remember currectly he used to have a copy/customised one with two humbuckers (the one that got stolen?)

Edited by - MMD on 10/20/2003 19:11:52
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  05:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address
Live, Frank plays a USA Fender Telecaster (maybe an early 60's one), a Takamine acoustic and recently a Garrison G41 acoustic. For SMYT and some live solo gigs, he used a Martin T-18 (I think) acoustic guitar. He also has a Nashville Telecaster that he used on whispering weeds (with Nashville tuning). Dave Phillips has been recently playing a Fender pink paisley Telecaster. He and Frank both play through vintage Vox amps. Rich plays a Gibson SG and Dave M plays a Fender precision bass through an Ampeg amp & cab. Scott was playing on a Yamaha drum kit.

Hatchetman
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  10:08:29  Show Profile
it's cool that they have the SG and tele sound -i forget what the descriptive is
that differentiates between a gibson sound and a fender sound -and what is the
major difference between a tele and a strat sound?
-anyone?

r
Go to Top of Page

spoon
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  12:14:51  Show Profile  Visit spoon's Homepage
This is greatly simplified and truncated but will do for our purposes.

Well the differences between a Strat and Tele are small....their sounds overlap a great deal and then go on their separate ways for few variations....
Gibson and Fender sounds are very different. Though the SG was supposed to be a lighter alternative for the Les Paul, it ended up having a different enough sound (similar to the way a Tele and Strat are different/similar) that it became its own signature Gibson variant.

The major differences:
The Gibson LP and SG are small-scale heavy-wood (mohagany) solid bodied guitars with rosewood fingerboards, (ususally) humbucker pickups and glued necks for a darker meaty-er sound with great sustain.

The Fenders (Strat and Tele) are long-scale thin light-wood solid bodied guitars with bolt-on necks, (originally) maple fingerboards and (ususally) single coil pickups. A twangier thinner sound with less sustain.
Both have great signature sounds that add the needed tonal variety to the sonic pallet artists create music with.

Hope this helps,
spoon
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  12:20:27  Show Profile
yup

r
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  14:10:17  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
God bless the Takamine EN-10 acoustic. Mine sounds all the better for the Frank Black signature on it's body. BOO-YAA!

Give 1000 monkey's 1000 typewriters and you're gonna be reading bullshit for the rest of your life.
Go to Top of Page

edward897
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  20:19:35  Show Profile
Did Frank draw that little alien face on your EN-10 like he did on my Telecaster?

Ed
Go to Top of Page

helpimarock
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  13:43:18  Show Profile
last time i saw FB&C, Rich and Dave were playing SGs, and Frank played either a homemade tele, or a godin solidbody acoustic. i believe everyone was playing Vox amps.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  14:08:20  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
i am not a guitar expert but these are the guitars and amps he used in italy:

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
www.munchienandalusia.too.it
Go to Top of Page

helpimarock
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2003 :  19:22:26  Show Profile
he's got 3 amps there. two of them are vox super beatle amps. i don't know if he uses them together, or one is just for backup. either way they look cool. the other one is for his acoustic, and is an SWR.
Go to Top of Page

crippe
- FB Fan -

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2003 :  09:07:31  Show Profile  Visit crippe's Homepage
In the above pictures it looks like heīs playing a white blonde 50īs reissue Fender Telecaster. Hard to tell if itīs a USA or Mexico made one. Does anyone know why he always plays the Telecasters??
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2003 :  09:35:24  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
Cause they sound the sh*t, dawg!

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Because I thought it would straighten out my life, SIR!"
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2003 :  12:50:00  Show Profile
Who could possibly picture Frank with an electric guitar that's not a Tele???

Not me.
Go to Top of Page

edward897
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2003 :  19:57:28  Show Profile
That looks like an early 80's Telecaster. He's got better ones but why get them all banged up on tour?

Ed
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2003 :  15:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
Didnt they have a load of guitars and stuff stolen a while back? He probly lost all his nice old Teles, and 80s stuff is well priced- not old enough to be vintage, not new enough to be current and "hip".

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Because I thought it would straighten out my life, SIR!"
Go to Top of Page

spoon
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2003 :  12:28:48  Show Profile  Visit spoon's Homepage
He plays the Tele's cause he likes _that_ sound (thru a vox).
With an amp setup like that, the two voxes (voxen?) are probably setup with:
1. being clean to a little twang (Sir Rockabye to Big Red)
and
2. being heavy twang to full-on distortion (Caribou/Such a Wire to So Hard To Make Things Out).

spoon
Go to Top of Page

john_farson
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2003 :  12:25:46  Show Profile  Visit john_farson's Homepage
This is an link with some interesting info on Frank's old rig with the Pixies.

http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/328/

The far left amp is his California Blonde, for acoustics. I think I heard the Vox amps were the hand-wired AC-30 variety. When he played Detroit, he had 2 of each kind.

You can't touch that sound of the tele's neck lipstick pick-up and the bridge pick-up mixed (parallel I think at the mid-toggle position). Chunky lows and the softer' almost acoustic-like string tone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000