Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  03:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The band just announced a podcast about the making of the new album. 12 part series, starts in Jun and runs until album release in September. A trailer shows snippets of new music and the band in studio. What a treat!
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/pixies-announce-new-album-podcast-share-trailer-video/

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  04:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  05:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent news! :)
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  05:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great ! Really cool Charles allowed this to happen.

I only see 3 problems: June. September. And Dalgety.

I shouldn't be grumpy. New Pixies music !

(the "no kim no deal" club is already whining in the Youtube comments)

Hope this wasn't too stressful to have interviews about your past while recording. Isn't studio time supposed to be, like, a peaceful oasis of calm and creativity ?
___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 01/23/2019 05:54:20
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  06:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooo... Exciting!!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  06:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The trailer raises some interesting questions:

1) Why would you break up the most influential band ever?

2) Why would you leave the most influential band ever?

3) Why would you compress the most influential band ever?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  08:04:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd rather just have the album first. I might skip this and just wait for the album and judge it on it's own merits, no spoilers.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  08:18:56  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Yeah. OK. The intro is really corny (Pixies invented indie rock? WTF?) but it does pique my interest. I just had a quick glance though, was that new music at the end? It sounded nice.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  08:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Says it was written over course of 2018...all new songs ? (No Super Lecker etc?) I suppose time will tell
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  09:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to guess, that, if we had had a podcast for the making of Surfer Rosa or Trompe le Monde or TOTY while those albums were being made, it would have detracted from the mystique of the Pixies / FB and the overall experience for the listener.

But those days are long gone.

-Grandpa
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  10:39:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone remember the Loud Quiet Loud documentary? It was a real hoot, wasn't it...

My favourite scene was the uncomfortable silence when they met Sigur Ros.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  10:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Anyone remember the Loud Quiet Loud documentary? It was a real hoot, wasn't it...

see, this is a great point. That and this are probably both just unintentional efforts at demythologizing the Pixies.

Kim was more right than she realized when she used the term post mod 30 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  11:02:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by pot

see, this is a great point. That and this are probably both just unintentional efforts at demythologizing the Pixies.

Kim was more right than she realized when she used the term post mod 30 years ago.

Post mod? I can't really think of them as that.

Demythologising though; an interesting concept. I think this new podcast series trailer is at least finally a self-acknowledgment of their legendary status in the world of music.

I've had enough of this, oh we're just the Pixies man..

No you're not! You're more than that dudes and dudette. You ARE the Pixies man!
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  11:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit disappointed by the new music we hear in the background, maybe they selected only poppy and "mostly harmless" riffs, but I expected more experimental and harsher sounds. And another one sounds like the bridge in WIMM, wtf

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  11:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the very end, I thought that was Dinosaur Jr's Feel the Pain for a second. Eight months seems so far away...oh well. At least something is coming.
-oddball
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  11:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

A bit disappointed by the new music we hear in the background, maybe they selected only poppy and "mostly harmless" riffs, but I expected more experimental and harsher sounds. And another one sounds like the bridge in WIMM, wtf

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

The podcast that you won't like is instead of doing 3 EPs that you won't like.

Even the pixies rip off WIMM.

Personally, I think it's all good. I'm glad they are considered the most influential band of all time that invented modern music, and I'm glad they don't care, because I don't care either.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  12:00:37  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At least they have sort of acknowledged in a way (at this stage) that Past Is Prologue probably isn't going to be a very good title for the album.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  12:05:47  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now Minotaur otoh! That's a good title for a Pixies album, but it's already been wasted on a box set that nobody really wanted at the time, or could afford to buy anyway.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  12:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New album is nice but I think this podcast stuff is a dreadful idea, a stranger gimmick than the staggered EP releases.

Long trailers normally spoil films - is this going to have a similar effect on the album?
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  13:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question (and point), The Maharal. I wonder how much of the new material will be played on the upcoming spring tour, in advance of the podcast/album. I hope the release of singles is planned on a staggered basis, not unlike how things were done for Head Carrier.
-oddball

Edited by - oddball on 01/23/2019 13:26:57
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  14:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the podcast even affect anything?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  14:16:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Depends if you listen to it or not, maybe. I'm (probably) going to swerve them until the album comes out.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  14:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hope Frank does that thing he does in interviews where he just gets off topic and rambles about obscure cool topics. I would absolutely listen to 12 episodes of that.

Oh and the title of the podcast is a dig at people who constantly bitch about how the new music isn’t as good as the old stuff, right??

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.

Edited by - Jeepster on 01/23/2019 14:40:07
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  15:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we vote for new president of forum I nominate pot and jeepster
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  15:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

If we vote for new president of forum I nominate pot and jeepster

Thanks! I think I’m clearly the best candidate. In a roundabout way that reminds me that I took some decent live footage I never got around to posting, I think I’ll use it to bribe voters.

And back to the actual podcast, I think it’s cool that they promote themselves with VR and Vine and all those current technologies. Pixies are the band of the future!

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  15:57:21  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are a few interesting things here, probably foremost that they are on a September release schedule. I wonder what’s driving that - touring schedule? Heavy post production? Long slow drip release schedule? Something else entirely? 8 months is a long time to sit on an album already in the can. We shall see!

Another interesting line: this album will place the Pixies at the forefront of the genre that they created... that’s sounds like a lofty goal! Is that what they’re shooting for? Or is that just hype from the podcast producer?

Also, what genre are they saying the Pixies created? Grunge? They absolutely created a sonic template and a format, and were/are still immensely influential. Is it a straight up “genre” though?

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  16:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rewatched the trailer and it looks like Joey has a flower on his guitar too now. This is very important to me for reasons I cannot fully articulate.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  18:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the album is done, Dalgety is probably still tweaking things on the production end. But the fact they are doing this is AWESOME. More insight into their new process with Paz is something we kinda missed to give HC some more gravity to me. IC had so many interviews and I remember a track by track breakdown from BF that was also a good watch. Main thing to me is they must be confident in the new material to allow this. More exposure, more Pixies based entertainment for the fans, can't wait. I can't say I'm surprised by some of the responses on here, as this tends to be a much more pessimistic group. But please for the love of all things I hope Dalgety gets the mix right so I don't have to read another compression complaint. Ugh.

The snippets were definitely poppy sounding and the slower strumming sounded like Wave UK Surf. No update on BMI yet either. Such a long time to wait. It is kinda bizarre they have announced this so early. After the trailer I was thinking it'll come out in late age b and run a new ep every two weeks or so. But clearly the podcast is in production and they only wrapped recording before Christmas. Really interested in the interviews and "video booth" stuff the band members did individually as mentioned in the Rolling Stone article. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pixies-new-album-podcast-series-783175/

Edited by - natenate101 on 01/23/2019 18:56:48
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  22:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I was the grumpiest Pixies fan ever, but reading the comments here and on the Youtube trailer, I realize I'm rather an easygoing one ;-)

I hope they will focus on geek stuff like gear, recording process, etc... and not just showing recording videos with inserts of interviews about the past, Where is my mind, and Kurt Cobain. Crossing fingers !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  01:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grumpy Pixies fans have been around ever since Bossanova and Trompe got bad reviews upon their releases
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  02:03:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can confirm that I've always been grumpy, even when Bossanova came out.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  02:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know what sounds funny to me ?

You can watch every interview after HC came out, they (especially Joey and Charles) always looked like they were ready to kill themselves (or the interviewer) or die from boredom, or punch the interviewer in the face every time the usual "can you explain your writing process ?"/"how does it feel to be so influential ?","you know about Kurt Cobain..." questions came out.

And now they let a journalist INSIDE THE STUDIO asking them the same old stuff AGAIN ? I have trouble processing that information (even if it's very very cool to see the band in the studio !).

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  02:44:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good point. Remember the Q&A Youtube clips he did with Jason Carter? Someone asked him what his favourite word was and he was like "what! what's my favourite word?"

I think they've just hired an established rock band biographer to basically film them in the studio and write a diary of the process.

Completely uninteresting to me until I've heard the album with fresh ears.
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  04:08:16  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
album due in september announced in january

christ

www.guillermostitch.com
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  04:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Good point. Remember the Q&A Youtube clips he did with Jason Carter? Someone asked him what his favourite word was and he was like "what! what's my favourite word?"

haha right. Let's hope the journalist won't ask him what his favourite US state is https://youtu.be/g-Zuvem39yA?t=394

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  06:24:17  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interviewer: "Hey, hey you re...you remember that song where you said that man was five, and and the devil was six, and .. god was .. seven?"
BF: "Yep."
Interviewer: "that... that was awesome."

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000