New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Neotenic
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  15:09:01  Show Profile  Visit Neotenic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to sign up for Dancing the Manta Ray pleasethankyou!
Go to Top of Page

Frequency31
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  15:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to cover 'Gigantic' if that's okay.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

jason_tsh
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  17:24:08  Show Profile  Visit jason_tsh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the kind words about The Secret Hairdresser.
As for recording on 4 track, MOST of my stuff is either entirely or partially done on 4 track, including the miaoowing song.
I produce records for loads of bands, and have had tons of songs played on national radio (radio 1 in the UK) that have been recorded onto 4 track.
There are sooo many bands that get signed and then struggle to recreate the "feel" from their original 4 track demos, but in a £1000 per day studio. 4 tracks do something cool to the signal, simple as that.
4 track is great as long as you keep the recording levels as high as you can. Ignore the level meters when they go into the red, it doesn't matter.
If you can hear it distorting then just turn it down slightly. Add a little treble when you bounce tracks together, cos you lose some in the process of bouncing.
Mix the song down onto something digital, even a minidisc, and NOT a shitty old cassette deck with Dolby.
Mixing onto a shitty PC is dead easy with a free programme like Goldwave ( www.goldwave.com ). Your soundcard doesn't have to be great. The miaoowing song (verse, chorus, miaoow) was done mainly on a semi-broken old 4 track with no EQ, and then a few harmonies were added on a 230mhz PC with a 2gig hard-drive.

For a good 4 track recording (clean, but emotional) goto www.thesecrethairdresser.tk mp3 page, and download my acoustic cover of Weezer's "Say It Ain't So".
Sorry if I've rambled on too much. But if anyone needs any recording tips, I'm pleased to ramble on some more, hehe....
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  18:36:33  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hehe, please, ramble on more, haha

I don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
Go to Top of Page

sharkey
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  18:57:24  Show Profile  Click to see sharkey's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd like to sign up for Brick is Red
if its still up for grabs
cheers
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  20:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started work on "Motorway to Roswell" today, actually recorded the drums, did several takes, got one really well, then when I was playing the rhythm guitar track on it, there was one little mistake I made on the track, one stupid line short that messes up the whole flow, so Ive gotta go through the process of recording the drum track all over again. Im playing all the instruments again, which really isnt that tough except for the drum track, at which Im like singing the song in my head the whole time, and with a song like "motorway to roswell" where things are repeated over and over again, its REALLY hard to keep in the right spot. I changed things up a bit, so that actually makes it easier but still tough as hell.

Im really taking my time on this one unlike "How you went so far" so Im really confident that its gonna kick ass. I'm also supposed to put a guitar track on Carene "spygirlx"s "rock a my soul" but Im not sure when she'll have it ready for me. Alright, Im gonna go watch "the royal tenenbaums" ---the best movie ever.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  21:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DEAN AIRMAN... I know you wrote to me Bone Machine is mine, but I am not on the list :(

You still got me right? I'm gonna' do a good recording this time .

-------------------------
ain't it funny how the goes
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  22:37:25  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If anyone does the "you fuckin die" or "all I know, is there were rumors" parody, they'll get a punch in the face.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Did anyone else have to give up their first born?"
Go to Top of Page

brank flack
- FB Fan -

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  02:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jason_tsh

I'd like to cover Distance Equals Rate Times Time.
It'd really suit my band THE SECRET HAIRDRESSER. There's a whole load of mp3s on our site www.thesecrethairdresser.tk but the most relevant song for you to check out is a new song called "it's not my problem" which is on the first page (just scroll down a bit) and we recorded it live at a practice recently.
Frank Black is playing 2 venues near me soon!!!!
I put on a weekly gig called Planet Beet www.planetbeet.tk and when I can't do sound I get my friend Lavar to do it. Coincedentally he also does sound at The Waterfront in Norwich, where Frank Black is playing soon. I've been trying to convince Lavar to somehow crowbar my band onto the bill, hehe...
Unfortunately I don't think the promoter person would be too happy.
Looking forward to this cover.

i love 'check out my band' posts
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  06:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya,
New to the board, lured in by the Frank Black tribute album--great idea and well-executed. If it's alright, I'd like to do "Planet of
Sound" from Trompe le Monde. I'm intending this to be a death metal version, but I dunno, we'll see how it goes. I would have covered "Gigantic," to give props to Kim Deal, but (as a straight male) I don't think I could pull off (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) an ode to a large phallus.
Thanks,
Cookie
Band name "The DBE" (maybe)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  10:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neil, I'm definitely looking forward to your Motorway. There was another person that was interested in doing it (jumponthetiger)t and I did say I was going to allow up to two people to do one song, so I just wanted to make sure that:

a) He's aware there's already someone doing the track he wants to do
b) You're aware that I haven't forgotten/discounted your track.

Andy, sorry, I do remember your email I'm not sure what happened, but you're on anyway.

Cookie, glad to have 'ya aboard.

Derek, are you still doing WIMM?

Jim, did you want to change your track to You Fucking Die?

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

ottomen
- FB Fan -

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  11:15:17  Show Profile  Visit ottomen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The ottomen would like to cover "UMASS"
check this out for our credentials:
http://www.ottomen.com/frank.mp3
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  11:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh... that's awesome. U can Mass it up.

Go to Top of Page

ottomen
- FB Fan -

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  11:34:35  Show Profile  Visit ottomen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I want to help with the cover art. Check out my illustration website:
http://www.angryjim.com
Go to Top of Page

ottomen
- FB Fan -

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  11:37:02  Show Profile  Visit ottomen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey so we already recorded the song and I have a mix, , but you said there will be mastering involved,Should I send the song in its seperate tracks or what?
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  12:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey ottomen, I love your artwork. I hope you get to do the cover. Yeah Dean, Im aware that 2 can do the track, thats cool. A little competition could make for a better track. Maybe I will make some studio time space for this one now.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  13:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ottomen, regarding the mastering, the final track is all that's needed. Tim is a wizard at working within that context anyway, and though I'm sure he could do a better job mixing together all the different tracks as well as mastering the final mix, it would just take far too much time, so the final mix is all we need. It should be encoded at 192 kbps (if it would make a difference, Tim will request a higher bit rate copy).

As far as artwork goes, we will do this in much the same way as we did last time. Sometime towards the end of October, we'll start discussing a name for the tribute CD, we'll vote on it, and then those parties interested will do up a cover based on the title. The covers are voted on by members of this board and the artist whose works are selected will proceed to complete the rest of the artwork. We have some very talented artists on this board already, so it will not be a cakewalk. I'm thinking this one might have more of a serious theme than the last one, but that will depend a lot on the direction people approach their tracks from.

Finally, if you are already done your track, then contact me via email and we'll arrange the transfer, unless you'd like to tinker more. Let me know.

Go to Top of Page

ottomen
- FB Fan -

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  13:16:56  Show Profile  Visit ottomen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cool, I have a mix down, but Im gonna do some remixing and have the track ready in a week or 2.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  13:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No rush. You've got two months. :)

Go to Top of Page

SwAg
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  14:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sign me for "Nimrod's Son" if no one has claimed it yet. I didn't see it anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

Useyourname
- FB Fan -

185 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  15:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I sign up as the second person to do blown away?

jimmy
Go to Top of Page

xraycat
- FB Fan -

12 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  17:15:13  Show Profile  Visit xraycat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, this is great, can my band World's Greatest Dad do a medley of "La La Love You" and "There Goes My Gun"? Terrific.
Go to Top of Page

surferben
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  22:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would love to cover gouge away or debaser if one of these has not been claimed.
surferben-gouge away or debaser

and now i'm living in the cold but i'm looking for the sign
Go to Top of Page

Bohemoth
- FB Fan -

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  05:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I Have Nimrods Son?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  07:46:31  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Swag - done.

UseYourName - You can do Blown Away if you REALLY want to, but I'd prefer if you did a different track. I do allow up to two people to do the same track, but only if the second person to ask for it REALLY wants to do just that track.

Xraycat - Pick one. You can submit both, but you need to decide which track you want to submit officially and which you want as a backup/b-side if the other one doesn't work out.

Ottomen - I'll check out your MP3 when I get home. In the meantime, I ask everyone not to link to their tracks when they're done as it ruins part of the surprise of the final album. Send me a link if you wish or whatever. In the end it's your choice, but I'd just prefer not to have all the tracks exposed before the CD is released much less started.

SurferBen - Again, choose between the two.

Bohemoth - Please see Swag's post and my reply to him and UseYourName and get back to me.

Go to Top of Page

ottomen
- FB Fan -

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  07:57:17  Show Profile  Visit ottomen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
good point. can you delete my previous message board entry?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  08:56:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Done, thanks for understanding.

Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  09:37:51  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey all! We'd quite like to do I'm Amazed, don't think it's been claimed yet!! We're struggling for name (as been rehearsing and writing most of the time, along with a bit of recording), might use 'Simon & Sarah' to start with, as that's our names...

If the song has been taken let me know and we'll choose something else...

My email is simon@cossar.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Useyourname
- FB Fan -

185 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  11:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's ok Cult, blown away didn't mean that much to me, I'll just skip on the tribute.

jimmy
Go to Top of Page

surferben
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  11:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if neither one is taken our first choice is gouge away.

and now i'm living in the cold but i'm looking for the sign
Go to Top of Page

Martina
- FB Fan -

Austria
10 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  12:52:34  Show Profile  Visit Martina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I would like to participate:

Mother Universe - "Debaser"

Cheerio ;)

www.mother-universe.at.tt
www.wearetechnologic.com

Edited by - Martina on 09/22/2003 12:55:36
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  13:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dean: Yes I'll do Where is My Mind. Thanks. I haven't been reading this thread. Also been having modem troubles.

I'll probably send it to you within a couple weeks. But the vocal track will get redone in this project, and I might add other stuff. I'll just send it so you can tell me what you think.

"I joined the Incredible Cult of Frank / Then I got pissed and turned green"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  14:14:47  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alrighty, I've updated the tracklist again. Derek, let me know when you're ready. And Useyourname, I'm certainly not trying to discourage you, I just wanted to point that out for general interest. If you want to do it and only it, then as I said, it's yours. But I want people to decide there are no other tracks they want to do first. The goal of this is still for people to have fun and build a substantial repetoire of awesome FB covers.

Go to Top of Page

Bohemoth
- FB Fan -

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  15:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Guess I Could Do Vamos I Didn't See it took I Already Had A Half Done Version Of Nimrods Son That I was Kinda Proud of. But if its took its took I'de still Like to Send A Finished Version Just to Get it out there if I Can
Go to Top of Page

BigBigLove
- FB Fan -

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  16:28:43  Show Profile  Visit BigBigLove's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Big Big Love was a Pixies tribute band, and if you would want one of our "rehersal space rough recordings" you are more than welcome to it. They are all on our website, but I'll send you the link offlist since you wanted to try and keep links to MP3s unknown until the comp comes out.

Anyway, songs we did that are not yet on your track list include: Allison, Isla De Encanta, Is She Weird, Gigantic, La La Love You, Monkey Gone To Heaven, and Manta Ray. Maybe you can listen to them and decide which one you like best?

If I was picking, I would choose either Allison or Isla De Encanta.

-Manny
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000