Page: of 55

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  16:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonicyoungster

Wouldn't it be real easy for him to prove he's actually Frank Black?
I mean, he could take a picture of himself holding up something random, like pack of coffee or something?

..Or a beer bottle if he's in Nashville (see other thread)!

It's definitely FB, sonic (and hello!)!

Go to Top of Page

Leah
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  13:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, its been a while since I was last around here, so I thought I'd start making trouble with the font and see how it goes from there.

Usual ramblings from me: when are Frank and the Catholics heading UK way?

Hell, I don't care if it does involve another schlepp up to Edinburgh in the worlds smallest skirt!

...Actually, that was kinda fun...(bad wicked Leah!)

Every choice human being strives instinctively for a citadel and a secrecy where he is saved from the crowd -
Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heliotropic

Hey Frank,

What are your favorite books written by Ray Bradbury?

the first collection of shorts: the martian chronicles
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Hi Frank, off the wall question here, but I saw a random weird video of you and a couple of fake british cops that went through your cd collection and questioned you about it. I don't know how long ago that video was recorded, but in one of the first shots, your cd case is open to the Beach Boys album Smiley Smile. I've always dug that album. Did you get a chance to hear Brian Wilson's Smile? It's crazy how he went back to it after so many years and just wrapped it up. By the way, I'm loving the new album.

i have an old cassette version that was given to me by tony bennet's son of all people, danny. years ago. the differences between the various versions are lost on me in that i LOVE brian wilson, but i am not a true wilson expert like so many.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:07:07  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Charles - how goes the tour?

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikaelp75

Hey Frank.

Thanks for the excellent FMRM. I can't think of a song I like more than Raider Man.

Any chance of a European tour? If not, how about a non-Pixies dvd?

Ever thought of covering (Roky Erickson's) If You Have Ghosts?

i wish tere would be a euro tour, but unfortunately the record has not done so well over there, and so i can't imagine there is much demand from the promoters at this time. that's show biz. i don't know the roky track. i'll put it on the list...
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodJablome

Hi Frank:

Just out of curiosity, did you name your first born after "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts"?

_______________________________________________________________________________________
"My name is Doug and I'm outta hhhhheeeere."

no, actually Jack is named after, well, HIMSELF!
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Frank, long time poster first time questioner,

firstly, a compliment: I love Deadman's Curve. It scratches me right where I itch. Secondly, as my nom de plume suggests, I am enamoured with the song Speedy Marie. I realize that perhaps this song's personal meaning to you may make it unpleasant to do so, but if you played it live (in Saskatoon), it would mean a lot to me and my girlfriend. It was the first song of yours she really loved (I've converted her to the occult of Frank), and in some ways it is "our" song. Notwithstanding any personal issue you may have with it, I imagine your band doesn't know it. Again, I sympathize, but my desire to see it played live is clearly more important than these petty issues. If Mr. Feldman would be happy to oblige and tickle the ivories, I will play the bass and I'm sure together we can walk Mr. Block and Mr. Jarvis through the changes.

All joking aside, thank you for the music, it has meant a lot. Enjoy the rest of the tour and see you in November.

maybe I'll kick it

Edited by - speedy_m on 10/16/2006 08:22:20
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahem...bass player who will be in SK too...

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:27:41  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

quote:

i wish there would be a euro tour, but unfortunately the record has not done so well over there, and so i can't imagine there is much demand from the promoters at this time.

this is sad to hear. not so much the tour, more so the record.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That'd be ideal Brian, because then I could watch the performance with my lady friend. We could do the front-to-back stand-n-sway and stare dreamily at you.

maybe I'll kick it
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:31:31  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Heliotropic

Hey Frank,

What are your favorite books written by Ray Bradbury?

the first collection of shorts: the martian chronicles

Yeah! I read that collection and it brought a tear to my eye. It was pretty cool to be reading it on a train in the south of Spain - red landscapes and a tall, lonely, arid mountain were whizzing by at 200km/h as I closed the book. Of course I've read Fahrenheit 9/11, but I'm not sure which Bradbury to tackle next...

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dayanara

hi frank. we're all reallyreallyreally looking forward to the forthcoming EDF collaboration.

a) what are your thoughts on tiven's persistent presence on this (your) forum?
b) should we expect more "bawdy sax" on future albums?

i hate anyone who doesn't like me.

a) the internet is the largest bathroom wall in the universe, right? and this is actually not MY forum. it's a forum about my music but it is not affiliated with me directly. i participate occasionally because the guys that run it seem to have a light hearted attitude about me, music, etc. they do such a great job with dispensing info that i see no need to do my own site. back to your question: i come on this site, you come on this site, people associated with me come on this site, and so i don't really have a problem with it. if i have a problem with anything on this site, i'll just change the channel so to speak. you gotta realize, that even record producers want to check out this thing called the internet and interact with it, especially if one's work is being commented upon; sure, i sometimes wish tiven would be a bit more mysterious about his involvement with the music biz, but, hey, he ain't that kind of guy. and i suppose i ain't that kind of guy either, or else i wouldn't have my own damn thread here. tiven is just having some fun. people who get all riled up by him are simply taking him way too seriously. having the chance to blog or participate in a blog brings out the nerd in all of us. i mean, just how big of a nerd am i?

b) if by bawdy you mean vulgar, well, i guess sax does have a kind of lewdness to it, hence, it's over usage in film and television And popular music. i suppose it's that over usage that turns some people off from being able to deal with it at all, and so i understand if it is not your cup of tea. i try to not over use it, and i try to get sax on my records that has some personality. i think that sax is really a big part of the true rock and roll sound, and i wish it was used more often in the "good" way! so. i'm trying. and i'm afraid you may have to endure more saxuality on future frank black recordings, but i'll try to keep it real.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

That'd be ideal Brian, because then I could watch the performance with my lady friend. We could do the front-to-back stand-n-sway and stare dreamily at you.

maybe I'll kick it

Just call me Davy Jones, Marsha.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While I'd love to tinkle the keys with Eric on bass, I'd so much rather see Eric on keys that I'd be happier with Brian up there, tired though he will be from his travel here and our day-prior trip to the queen city.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:44:01  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never too tired to rock. Never.

Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

Frank,

did you used to skateboard? you have a few skating references in your songs (and another one on Elijah).. i was just curious

"I don't have any money to buy new clothes and if they paid me to get some I'd probably buy more hoodies." - Mark Wainfur

truckee trucks as i recall. sims snakes. just point a to point b. transportation. nothing fancy. but we really got around l.a. aok on those things.
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frankus,
Great to see you added All My Ghosts to your setlists this tour. Sorry to see you waited until after I saw you in Memphis to do so.
Your dusting off AMG got me thinking...back in 2001 you and your previous band did an incredible rendition of Fiddle Riddle w/ slide steel, etc. If you're up to it, alot of us would love to hear you rework more of your lesser-played solo works. Say, St. Francis Dam Disaster, the Cult of Ray, Pie in the Sky, etc. Whad'ya say?
-Ryan
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by see you in tea

CMKTIV:

Do you own any guns?

Why did you make Portland your home after you left LA?

I know you're a Mr. Show fan. Have you seen Arrested Development? If not, did you know that David Cross played a major character on the show, and Bob Odenkirk, John Ennis, Jerry Minor, and Jay Johnston all played small roles? By the way, if you haven't seen Arrested Development, I highly recommend getting the DVDs and watching them when you have time to kill on the tour bus. You'll be hooked after the first couple of episodes.

I do own an antiique rifle that I inherited. it has the hammer removed, so you can't shoot it. i don't know arrested devepment so much but it is on my list and i'm lucky to have recieved "insider" material from both mr. cross and mr. odenkirk. i am a huge fan of both comedians. it's a crime they don't have their own show(s) on prime time tv, but hey, i guess that's show biz. after i left l.a. i went to portland to be closer to a woman i had met. now we live together and are married in another part of the state. we have 4 children.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  09:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why did you start wearing eyeliner on stage?
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  09:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

Mr Black. Like you did with the song 'Dog in the Sand', have you ever expanded on any of the other riffs in 'Surf Epic' ?

not yet
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  09:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

Why did you start wearing eyeliner on stage?

to be pretty?
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  09:14:30  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

Are you taking any requests on the tour? You played Valentine and Garuda at my request at Zuzu in Cambridge in 2003. Any chance you'll play it in Boston next week?

Can't wait to see you.
XOXOX.

http://prettycrabby.com
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  09:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank I think you should tour israel I know there alot of fans up there.
Also is there truth to the rumor that the bands getting together in January?

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  09:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

I don't know if you recall, but way back when Dog In The Sand was released, W.A.R.? did a promotional contest for retailers to create a store display. I made one (managed an indie store) and wound up winning 2nd place (prizes included some autographed one-sheet posters of DITS, and $50.00!). It was a wall that had a 3-D rocketship (you and the Catholics peering out the window) soaring over the desert with a dog in the sand howling up at your ship. Anyway, thanks for picking it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  13:40:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey Frank, any chance of a homerecording album or a personal record label
(just like Robert Pollard's Fading Captain Series). Just for the fans,
no big thing, 2 or 3 releases every year. You seem prolific enough

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Born to Lose
- FB Fan -

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  19:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, going to your show in Asheville tomorrow. I'm actually missing one of the dress rehearsals for the play I'm in to come see you. This will be my first time I've seen you sans Pixies and I'm actually more excited. Anyhoo, break a leg tomorrow night and take it easy.

Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  01:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

This made me smile when I first read it. Still smiling. "no big thing".

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  07:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

Hello Frank, long time poster first time questioner,

firstly, a compliment: I love Deadman's Curve. It scratches me right where I itch. Secondly, as my nom de plume suggests, I am enamoured with the song Speedy Marie. I realize that perhaps this song's personal meaning to you may make it unpleasant to do so, but if you played it live (in Saskatoon), it would mean a lot to me and my girlfriend. It was the first song of yours she really loved (I've converted her to the occult of Frank), and in some ways it is "our" song. Notwithstanding any personal issue you may have with it, I imagine your band doesn't know it. Again, I sympathize, but my desire to see it played live is clearly more important than these petty issues. If Mr. Feldman would be happy to oblige and tickle the ivories, I will play the bass and I'm sure together we can walk Mr. Block and Mr. Jarvis through the changes.

All joking aside, thank you for the music, it has meant a lot. Enjoy the rest of the tour and see you in November.

maybe I'll kick it

ditto!! well said speedy!

like speedy’s girlfriend, my special lady also turned the franck black corner after falling in love with the beauty of speedy marie!! thank you again for this amazing song! maybe you could try it out in winnipeg ;) that way the band is ready to go for speedy’s girlfriend!

i’m really loving the setlists you’ve got going on right now….as well as seeing the youtube videoclips. but since we’re on the topic of requests i’ll shout out a few right now rather than annoying you and the fans when i see you in concert!

…..speedy marie, every time i go around here (loved the 2001 live version that I heard on podcast 17!! wow!), adda lee, atom in my heart, in the time of my ruin, so bay, village of the sun, whispering weeds, massif centrale, the marsist, thalasocracy……

really looking forward to seeing you and the band in winnipeg, saskatoon (fbnet meet and greet!), and calgary!!

enjoy the rest of the tour and thanks again for going on tour. it must be tough being away from the family. all the best.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  13:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

Please come to Europe, i would imagine you could sell out the temple bar music centre in Dublin with your following here, we would love to see/hear you this year, plus you could take the family on a nice sight seeing tour of the emerald isle. Please consider a trip. If not a huge sprawling euro trip then just a few well chosen dates perhaps?

I'm begging now amn't i?

PS - good luck on Conan, can't wait to see it.

Edited by - Sam on 10/17/2006 13:24:40
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  13:51:01  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erebus

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

This made me smile when I first read it. Still smiling. "no big thing".

it's no big thing, if Pollard can do this (and make some nice extra money) Frank can do this as well. You don't have to press ten thousand records of all the releases, maybe half of it, maybe less. Get yourself a webpage to take orders, make some beautiful homerecording music and go for it. Kristin Hersh has her own Work In Progress-releases, it's great!

God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  06:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great quotes, not related, but both words of wisdom that I'm chewing on today.

Theodore Roosevelt
"The Man In The Arena"
Speech at the Sorbonne
Paris, France
April 23, 1910

"...It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

(Frank Black - Frank Black.net)
"I am a guitar player. I am not a dancing bear....I am a singer...I am a guy loading a trailer... I am a cabaret singer. I am not a dancing bear... Sometimes people think that I am rude when I don't switch into that dancing bear routine. I am not complaining. I adore playing music to the people that support my art. But I am not a fucking dancing bear... I may look like a dancing bear! Sure. I admit it."

I guess I better ask a question, huh..."Any current favorite quotes?"

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 10/19/2006 06:50:20
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  03:16:39  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hey Frank.

Thanks for the excellent FMRM. I can't think of a song I like more than Raider Man.

Ever thought of covering (Roky Erickson's) If You Have Ghosts?

i wish tere would be a euro tour, but unfortunately the record has not done so well over there, and so i can't imagine there is much demand from the promoters at this time. that's show biz. i don't know the roky track. i'll put it on the list...

hope the next record will sell a lot round here

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  03:26:33  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How come I missed Frank's last Q&A session in this thread?
Sad news about the Euro tour. I knew I should've bought the album twice!

Denis

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  04:19:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I knew I shouldn't have imported it from the USA

God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000