Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  23:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

Mr Black. Like you did with the song 'Dog in the Sand', have you ever expanded on any of the other riffs in 'Surf Epic' ?

no...maybe i should. i'll have to talk about this with edf. thanks for the reminder.

fb
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  23:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

hey frank,

congrats on the newest addition to the family! hope you're getting a bit of sleep. really looking forward to fm/rm. i have a feeling i'm really gonna like it! and thanks for the dog sleep preview. anyways the mrs and i are heading to the sasquatch festival at the gorge in washington at the end of the month to check out some great music. i've never been there but the pics of the venue look pretty cool. how did you enjoy playing there last year with the pixies? ever think about returning to the gorge? say in a few weeks for a solo show!! anyways take care.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"

t is actually a great place for a concert or whatever. i enjoyed it, but i did have some kind of sinus thing going on that week as i recall, so i think i was a bit preoccupied with preserving what voice i did have. but yes...a very nice spot. enjoy.
fb
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  23:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jtjcp88

Hi Frank. Just wanted to remind you beer bellys are out of fashion. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

damn! really? i thought everyone ou there was still going for the fat thing! damn. ok. back to the skinny me!

fb
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  23:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScottP

Hey Charles, Hi.

What's that little ping into Ramona about one minute? Mysterious. Sounds like a hearing test beep.

BTW- How's your ears holding up? Mine are shot. We're about the same age, but I have nowhere near the stage time that you have had. Ringing a little? I worry about my hearing. I think I'd rather be blind than deaf.

i think it's just joey getting ready to play the first note. he might have had the guitar way up while recording, and so there was a momentary feedback beep before he started to play.

i think my ears are ok. not perfect. i have heard that singers fare better because the mouth is always open and singing and that position blocks out a lot of volume. don't know if it's true, but it feels like it might be possible. there's a big difference between just standing there and taking the volume and standing there creating your own internal sound.

fb

Edited by - frnck blck on 05/19/2006 23:41:07
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  23:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by backtorome

Hey Frank, im looking forward to Fastman raiderman, i hope its harder then honecomb (ive heard it is). Cuz Frank, honestly, you gotta make hard abstract rock music, because your the only one who can do the style that you do. your one of a kind. and your kind is my favorite kind. and if you go off and do all this other stuff that you call "cliche" then who is left to fill you place? Im sure ill love your stuff no matter if its polka or whatever, but please frank, im only gonna be young and crank up the volume loud once. so please, continue to rock.

thank you.

well, i hope you like fmrm, i suppose it "rocks" a bit more than honeycomb; i'm not sure. i think the NEXT one is gonna rock hard. not cuz i pan it out that way. i don't plan any of this stuff. i just write. it comes out the way that it comes out. if you try to force it a particular way it kind of loses the spirit. i think thought the newest stuff i've been working on rocks.

fb
Go to Top of Page

Angry Elvis
- FB Fan -

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  23:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
charles

thanks for all the great music, i really admire your work

quote:
i think thought the newest stuff i've been working on rocks.

:)

***i'm just a hunka hunka burnin love***

Edited by - Angry Elvis on 05/19/2006 23:46:04
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  00:56:32  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
frank.....australia??
Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  04:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank.
I'm not too sure if you've been asked this already, but, when the whole Virgin Galactic thing starts up and there are regular flights going into space, would you go?
I heard somewhere that you're not too keen on flying. But surely the call of space is irresistible.

http://myspace.com/seanwrenn
Go to Top of Page

crippe
- FB Fan -

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  04:53:33  Show Profile  Visit crippe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Frank, what do you think of the new Vox AC30CC's? They're made in China now and a lot of people bash them because of that but me likes them a lot.

Rock.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  05:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About "to rock or not to be" I'd like to say that songs like "Dog in the Sand" or "Wave Of Mutilation Surf UK" really rock my heart more than the dead kennedys.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  05:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank, and congratulations on the newest addition to the family!! Just wondering, was the acoustic you used in the early Pixies days a blue Washburn?! 'Cos that's what I read somewhere! Electric guitar-wise, I have a cheapo Squire Tele at the moment, and I have a Vox Pathfinder amp that's not very powerful. I'll have to invest in one of them AC30s one day!

Go to Top of Page

teh sharkie
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  14:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by s_wrenn
But surely the call of space is irresistible.

suborbital "space"flight has to be teh lamest thing ever
Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  14:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's a start...A bit pricey i will admit ($20,000 deposit for a $200,000 trip)

http://myspace.com/seanwrenn
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  19:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Charles

What kind of gear/set-up do you have at home for recording?

It's a beautiful time of year to be living in the NW USA, huh?

thanks later
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  09:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey frank do you plan on the releasing the other pixie song the pixies recorded for shrek 2?

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

Gino
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  11:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It rocks like "Rock Me, joe"?
Go to Top of Page

pod
- FB Fan -

7 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  12:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gino

quote:

It rocks like "Rock Me, joe"?

And are you perhaps scheduled to tour this July as a warm up to going in the studio to record this NEXT album?
Go to Top of Page

bonedry
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2006 :  13:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, frank, that was a good call whoever asked you about finishing up surf epic, writing lyrics to velveeta was a good call. i think the melodies that come after the dog in the sand melody are some of the best i've ever heard, and i've heard 'em all baby!!!!! that song has a very sad sound. it sounds futuristic but in a senitmental for the past out in the industrial desert sort of way. finish that up though! ps. eric drew feldman looks just like a librarian at my school's libarary, and do you need me to play any guitar or drums or anything on the new album, let me know, i'll play for liquor and food.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  05:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Frank,

thanks for stopping by.Can i just say that your music continues to captivate myself and my friends 16 years after first hearing it. It really has brought us through your musical phases and our life phases and always been relevant and totally natural. Thanks for the tunes, and we hope to see you in Dublin soon.
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  11:22:59  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck
i think the NEXT one is gonna rock hard. not cuz i pan it out that way. i don't plan any of this stuff. i just write. it comes out the way that it comes out. if you try to force it a particular way it kind of loses the spirit. i think thought the newest stuff i've been working on rocks.

What about a "Quadragenarian of the Year" with Ricky, Lyle and Nick?

-----
blackolero le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  05:58:15  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hola Charles.During your stay in Puerto Rico did you bring a guitar with you or borrowed one by any chance? I would like to know if you wrote Isla De Encanta and some of the other songs where you talk about your experiences down here in the hospedaje or maybe under a palm tree at one of our beaches.Or did you wrote them right after returning to Mass.I'm anxiously awaiting the release of FMRM down here,thanks again for the truly inspiring and uplifting music you make.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  09:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr Black, I was wondering if you consider weak the songs "Show me your tears" and "Jumping Beans", as you didn't put on Teenager Of The Year and Show me your Tears.
Personaly, I put them in my favourites.
The most funny is that the song "Show me your tears" actually makes me cry !!!
Go to Top of Page

Coralray
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  12:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank;

Thank you for all of the great music over the years. I joined in with Teenager of the Year and have since gone through the back catalog with the Pixies and have followed everything since. Thanks too for your frequent visits to Omaha...I remember well the Cult of Ray tour, you played the Ranch Bowl, where Warren Zevon once claimed he had hit a new low, playing a bowling alley, I was stage left smoking cuban cigars, drinking lots of Meyers' rum and singing full volume to all the words, to the great annoyance of the teens in the all ages section in front of me. I miss Lyle Workman, that was a great era in your music.

I also appreciate your references to Omaha/Nebraska, notably in Pan American Highway, which I am delighted is included in One More Road for the Hit and, I presume, End of Miles,"For some the end of miles is Denver Colorado," I am sure you have spent too many hours on I-90, moving west. Thanks for stopping, although I can't imagine you someday making Omaha home.

I introduced my brother to Dog in the Sand, a xmas present, and more recently to Honeycomb when I visited him in Florence, OR, where I noted your veiled reference to the WOW hall in Eugene, "the Hall of the Felled Tree," an old haunt of his when he lived there. Oddly, WOW, Woodmen of the World, is an insurance company....based in Omaha! I'll be seeing ya. Thanks again.

Coralray
Go to Top of Page

bonedry
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  12:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
frank, if you ever want to get rid of a tele-style guitar you may have, let me know. preferrablyy something cheap!
Go to Top of Page

bonedry
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2006 :  13:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
p.s. announcement is the greatest song of all time.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  05:12:13  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is one small flaw to Announcement*. FADE! I wish they worked on it till they had a proper ending. Who cares if it would have made it 20 minutes long. Songs with fade just don't seem complete. It’s the greatest song of all time with an asterisk.

quote:
Originally posted by bonedry

p.s. announcement is the greatest song of all time.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"

Edited by - Thomas on 05/29/2006 05:14:26
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  09:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

It’s the greatest song of all time with an asterisk.

I don't recall any mention of him!

Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  09:42:11  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

It’s the greatest song of all time with an asterisk.

I don't recall any mention of him!

That would be asterisk not Asterix or even Vercingetorix

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  09:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, right. I shouldn't take risks with my spelling! ;)

Go to Top of Page

jtjcp88
- FB Fan -

105 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  14:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bludy French

"Dance at my party."
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  18:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FB,

Thank You for FMRM ~ five stars!

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  18:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Frank!!! Fastman/Raiderman is another wonderful musical journey and another musical triumph. I am not sure how you got all those sounds in there but every single track sounds amazing. thanks for all the awesome music and hope to see it live if you come to town.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 06/20/2006 20:14:26
Go to Top of Page

vanishing_spy
- FB Fan -

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  13:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles,

What can I say, I've been a fan since high school. I spent most of my junior and senior years driving around listening to Bossanova and Trompe le Monde. Speaking of Trompe le Monde...I remember in the documentary that was on the 2004 DVD you said you regretted not rewriting some of those songs. This struck me because I have never heard you play any of those songs live. My wife and I flew to California from Virginia to see the Pixies at Coachella and then I saw you later that summer in DC at Constitution Hall. You guys were playing almost exclusively tracks from Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa, and Doolittle. Those are good songs but I loved the music on Trompe. Motorway to Roswell and Letter to Memphis were my mainstays. I want you to know that despite what a lot of magazines say, the last two Pixies albums were powerhouses at the time and I was right with you when you started moving in the surfy, spacy direction. I wouldn't have gotten into Man or Astro-Man if not for later Pixies.

I wanted to say two other things. First, if I ever meet Steve Albini i'm going to kick him in his balls. Second, you have never gotten enough credit for your singing voice. So many people touted Kim's voice and I always thought she was so one-dimensional. Your range and style are unmatched. I just want you to know that there are lots of people out there who consider you their favorite vocalist.

Thanks for making the soundtrack to my life.

Later

David
Go to Top of Page

mixedbizz
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  14:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See ya in Brooklyn in august Frank! Southpaw's a pretty decent venue. Saw The Fall there a couple weeks ago.
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  05:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi frank. we're all reallyreallyreally looking forward to the forthcoming EDF collaboration.

a) what are your thoughts on tiven's persistent presence on this (your) forum?
b) should we expect more "bawdy sax" on future albums?

i hate anyone who doesn't like me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000