Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  08:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank, I was hesitant to post initially, but now that it's more or less 'confirmed', I guess I'll go ahead and post.

I noticed your style is different than it was months ago, just in a more relaxed mode since the album is done, I guess? Anyways... I've wondered how you got the "core" Catholics together initially, I know they were on The Cult of Ray, but Dave M. told me in Louisville in March that Miracle Legion used to open for you in the late 80s/early 90s. Curious because the ML sound is different from anything you've done so far.

Also, the top forum graphic, it'd be cool to know what the man himself thinks of it. ;-)

Anyway, I should get back to taking notes, I'm online from a classroom at U of Louisville during a class lecture.

-Ben

"I jumped on the signature bandwagon / But I'll get bored with it soon"
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  08:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank, our picture together in Edmonton did not develop well or at all, please send autographed posters ;) Just kidding but I was heartbroken.

I know, I'm pathetic.
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  08:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank, welcome to the frustratingly anonymous world of the internet :)

My question to you is: What happened to the love for the first 3 solo albums live? I'm dying to hear Ramona, or Brackish, or Pong or Kicked in the Taco again......

Cant wait for your 21-day residency at the Horseshoe in Toronto next year :)

Edited by - kromkamp on 09/16/2003 09:07:57
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  08:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my pic of me and FB from the New York Fez solo show came out alright - cept my gut looks HUGE - i'm really not photogenic at all...

so send me autographed posters too!

(just kidding - btw, carolynanna, i remember when you first starting posting here, now you've doubled my posts...damn my lazy summer of no computer!)

-brian
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  08:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello!

er, so, tell us all about the recent pixies rumour, frank.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  08:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya work is not very fulfilling, but I'd take a lazy summer of no computers in a snap! Stupid student loans to pay off......

And yes FB please fill us in on the Pixies rumours once and for all!

Edited by - Carolynanna on 09/16/2003 09:01:47
Go to Top of Page

massif snake
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:07:24  Show Profile  Visit massif snake's Homepage  Click to see massif snake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
frank can u please comment on my theory that u broek up the pixies cos kim wudnt shag u. (its a very complex theory, but that is the gist!)

new abum rocks too.

have sex with the nuns at my school.
Go to Top of Page

deadite_99
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeez...you people are harsh!! ,allthough I can't blame ya, the anonymity of the internet definately makes you doubt something like this..

Well, so it's really the man!
I'd like to echo all of the praise for SMYT (it's brilliant!), and thanks for being you, and doing what you do. Rail against the tide of mediocrity!!!

Quick instrument question for you....I know you are a fan of Fender Tele's, have you ever tried a G&L Asat ????

Just curious...I'm a big fan of those, think you might dig 'em

Again,, thanks for being a bright shining beacon in a see of crap.

Hope to see you here in Louisiana soon....

Deadite
Go to Top of Page

johnny
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

What do SPACE IS GONNA DO ME GOOD, BIG RED, JET BLACK RIVER and CAN I GET A WITNESS have in common? If someone actually gets that one I'll buy them tacos and beer.

Um, you play Kurt Kobain's Jag-stang in all four songs? Just a wild guess. Great new album, you guys sound UNBELIEVABLY tight. Get your ass to Santa Cruz soon please.
Go to Top of Page

Dallas
= Cult of Ray =

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey FB, after your last Dallas gig, some chick interrupted your work breaking down the set with "my boyfriend is your biggest fan! I will LOAD all of this stuff for you if you would just talk to him! I will do this work, it would mean everything! pant, pant". I then noticed that you indulged the lad for a moment or two, but, the girl, in fact, never actually did any lifting or work at all. What appeared to happen was that you ended up having to spend more time breaking down the set because you were delayed by her false promises. There were cases all over the place, and miles of cord and wire to be rolled up. Yet, she never actually made a move towards any of it.

Which leads me to my question, what the hell is wrong with people?
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:11:25  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is all very odd. Why the mystery, Frank?

Anyway, thanks for playing Valentine for me at Zuzu in March, if it tis really you (*twirling my little handle bar moustache*) - see you in London in a month! Yahooo......

Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What does Van Dyke Parks play on Manitoba? Kind of a trick question. Not iron-clad proof....but more of a slow converting kind of thing. What do SPACE IS GONNA DO ME GOOD, BIG RED, JET BLACK RIVER and CAN I GET A WITNESS have in common? If someone actually gets that one I'll buy them tacos and beer.

doesn't van dyke do the sax?
and as for the songs...i thought maybe it had to do with moris tepper but he isn't on space is gonna do me good. then i thought they all say "black" in them but the same thing there....
give me a hint, i could use some tacos and a beer in portland when i am there.

Edited by - noexx on 09/16/2003 09:14:26
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:14:27  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ramona

This is all very odd. Why the mystery, Frank?

Anyway, thanks for playing Valentine for me at Zuzu in March, if it tis really you (*twirling my little handle bar moustache*) - see you in London in a month! Yahooo......

There really is no mystery. He stated he was FB from the beginning. Obviously, we were somewhat apprehensive.

But if Dave says it's him AND gives him -The Man- moniker, it has to be true.

Just ignore the idiots....or don't as they make for good posts to laugh at.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:18:08  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As Fox Mulder might say, I WANT TO BELIEVE! The way he was first posting just struck me as weird is all...but I will slowly be converted.

Viva Frank!

In a world full of caterpillars, it takes balls to be a butterfly.

Edited by - ramona on 09/16/2003 09:18:39
Go to Top of Page

massif snake
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:21:33  Show Profile  Visit massif snake's Homepage  Click to see massif snake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
o and frank, cud u play debaser at the asotia on october the 15 th please?

Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mmm, portland has some good taquerias. hungry dog burrito off of trendy third is good, but Ensenada's is the best. 3962 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., 249-7378. I wonder if they've changed their flypaper yet...
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, if it is you - are you coming to Edinburgh for a week's rehearsal before the opening gig? You said so to my question on the Steve Lamacq show!

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:48:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and by the way CultofFrank, the name of my "current" girlfriend was printed in a recent issue of the NME, so that really wouldn't prove anything. But not a bad way to try and get confirmation. Let's think of something else. OK. Here's some trivia. What songs does Joey S. play on the new album? It's not listed in the credits. Or. What does Van Dyke Parks play on Manitoba? Kind of a trick question. Not iron-clad proof....but more of a slow converting kind of thing. What do SPACE IS GONNA DO ME GOOD, BIG RED, JET BLACK RIVER and CAN I GET A WITNESS have in common? If someone actually gets that one I'll buy them tacos and beer. And what's wrong with posting from aol? I'm on the road, man. I don't have time to set up proper accounts at the moment. i need quick and easy. I don't even have a cable modem right now. Too busy. I just do shit, listen to the classical and jazz stations, and check my email. Oh. And I DO come here now and them. I guess i like to see what the gang has to say about the gigs mostly, or at the moment, scan a few reviews that are posted. Normally I wouldn't even read reviews, but it's so convenient and cozy here that I can't help but check it out. Well, enough of ME blabbing on...

it's CHARLES MICHAEL KITTRIDGE THOMPSON the FOURTH!

Well, it is definitely confirmed that this is Frank Black, and don't I feel like an idiot for doubting, however playful it might have been. Still, I blame Dave for taking all the fun out of him trying to prove he was FB. :)

So, now that we know, we're going to bombard him with questions. The poor guy'll never know what hit him. And I'm no more able to restrain myself than the rest.

From what I've heard, Van Dyke Parks plays the piano AND the accordion on Manitoba, switching back and forth between verse/chorus. Which is pretty awesome. Not a clue which songs Joey plays on, nor what anyone plays on the individual tracks, but we're all very curious to find out as that was one thing missing from the gem you just released. If you want to continue challenging yourself as a songwriter, try writing a song with the words "Saskatchewan" or "Saskatoon" instead of Manitoba. :) Which reminds me, thanks for bringing the tour out this way. We lost a car last time we went to see you all the way in Portland, so going down the street to Louis' was very appreciated.

As for what Space Is Gonna' Do Me Good, Big Red, Jet Black River, and Can I Get A Witness have in common, my guess is going to be that they're all about space travel/colonization. Either that or they were all written by one Frank Black. Now about those tacos and beer... I'll settle for a beer and a return to Saskatoon next year. In fact, if you return to Saskatoon, I'll buy you AND the boys one.

Alright, so I've answered your quiz, right or wrong, now I'm going to fall prey to curiosity and ask a few more of my own.

1) Did you receive the tribute album from Ken and what did you think of it? And highlight tracks? Do you plan to bring So. Bay back based on Eric & Cynthia's version of it? :)

2) True or False: Pixies to reunite? Answer in a riddle if you can't answer straight up.

3) Has Scott named his son/daughter yet? I'm revising the bios for the page, and I think that would be a nice little nugget in there. If he'd prefer not to share that, I understand.

4) How would you like to write a bio for yourself? :) Alright, alright, too far...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 09/16/2003 09:49:41
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  09:54:47  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Spidey sense going berserk!! This thread is a serious mind fuck, I'm about --- this far from belief. If you are -= The Man =- then I apologise for the doubt. If you can forgive please answer these questions...
1. Do you know what songs Josh Frank has licensed for the 'Teenager of the Year' musical?
2. What type of strings do you use on your Takamine? (The one with the hole)
3. Any chance you could ressurrect 'Oh My Golly' for the next Dublin gig?
4. My dad is still very enthused about the possibility of playing golf with the catholics in October... Yay or Nay?

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

massif snake
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  10:00:46  Show Profile  Visit massif snake's Homepage  Click to see massif snake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think all those songs were produced or co-written or summin by van dyke parks, cos wasnt can i get a witness done by like the rolling stones in the sixties (on album englands newest hit-makers) therefore its unlikely frank wrote it.

but wot do i no? lol

Go to Top of Page

switchy
- Gigographer -

324 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  10:15:48  Show Profile  Visit switchy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i don't really have anything to say, i just want to stick my head in this historic thread.
well ok, here're some questions..
¬ What's Billy Radcliffe about?
¬ What song did you play on that VH1 show in March '02 that never aired, Late World With Zach?
¬ What are the chances of more unearthed Pixies stuff being released (such as the Pixie versions of Brackish Boy and Surf Epic)?
¬ Do you have any comment regarding the pre-pixies dorm room demos that are available online? (Draw Attention, Fight With Honor, Just Keeping In Time, Silhouette)
¬ Do you like the Gigography of this site? spiffy, huh?
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  10:25:33  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welp, I feel like an idiot...then again, not really, cause all evidence pointed to him NOT being him. It's too easy to fake someone on the internet. Check it out:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/frank_black

Hilarious.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And uh...the swimmer sucks dick for busfair"
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  10:36:06  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by switchy
¬ Do you have any comment regarding the pre-pixies dorm room demos that are available online? (Draw Attention, Fight With Honor, Just Keeping In Time, Silhouette)
Please say you don't 'cause i uploaded them and i would hate myself if you had objections on this.

-I suppose that an official word on the rumoured Pixies reunion is asking too much...Or no?

-The oddballs 2 is a great idea.Here in Italy it's kind of difficult finding your singles so i hope we'll see all those b-sides soon.

-A collectionist question:have you ever done a song with Stephen Malkmus named "hello David Carlsberg"(or something similar)and one with Bono "Bullet the Blue Sky"?

Thanks,see you at Milan(though i would prefer that Placebo opened for you and not vice-versa)

"Protect me from what i want"

Edited by - mun chien andalusia on 09/16/2003 11:40:01
Go to Top of Page

deadlydoctor
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  10:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto
http://www.livejournal.com/users/frank_black

Hilarious.

LOL! That's great

--------
he’s tripping over graves • as rain begins to fall • and finally they escape when the shuttle bus is called
Go to Top of Page

massif snake
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:00:13  Show Profile  Visit massif snake's Homepage  Click to see massif snake's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wasnt elvis the king?

Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My stab at the JET BLACK RIVER, SPACE IS GONNA..., CAN I GET A WITNESS, BIG RED question... all are played with a capo.

-Brian

"I joined the Cult of Abe / I grew a beard with no mustache"
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are all typed in caps
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking something about tunings as well, BLT

Maybe Frank [you] can tell us about different tunings for other songs. (hey I am the tabmaster, just doing my job people)

-the Adventure and the Resolution?
-Jaina Blues?

Any of those use different tunings? I thought maybe Adventure tunes down 1/2 step but I haven't really tried to figure that out yet. And I'm not gonna try to figure out Lyle's handywork, though I think he uses delay to get alot of those cool riffs.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / But I got tired of hovering."
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:33:45  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

Hey guys, fyi this really is FB. (Sorry for taking so long to respond.)

I dunno Dave, this confirmation seems a bit under-whelming if you ask me. I would think you would have been a little more convincing if this indeed is 'The Man'
Sorry about being so stubborn, but that's just me being me....
Either way, welcome aboard FB...

The Cult of Frank: "More than you think, for less than you thought"
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mare and the man. They have sent a little bit of heaven down in the form of a horse for us to chain down and whip. Flogging might be a better choice of words.

Franke Blacke!

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

What is your fascination with my secret closet of mystery?
Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank -

What have you been drinking lately? Due to the allusions you make in SMYT, I'd assume that you've been consuming wine of all sorts of scents and textures, but who knows; maybe you're after a nice bourbon or just a cheap beer. Also, not to sound all buddy-buddy and fanboyish, but how's Portland treating you?

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
F - R - A - N - K

The new album is excellent! I love the mellow vibe. I was just wondering, do you think you'd put out another CD that has majority Rocking songs like the FB&C's Self-Titled CD?????

thanks for all the music
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heyfrnkblck,
no.1: it would be nice to know who plays what on what song sometimes but that's a
definite nitpick. -(a little more detail in liner notes)
no.2: I and an associate would like to do some form of documentary/time capsule footage
of you and your band -compeletely non-invasive as possible and you and yours could own
the rights -we just want to DO IT for cryin' out loud...go ahead and burst my bubble, do what
you gotta do...but let me know.
my associate is a trained filmographer in Asheland NC -(his brother is copyright crusader Lawrence Lessig)and i am the fanboy with 'blargomatic eye vision'(labor of love with a lynchian twist mentality).
no.3: if this is you -thanks for kicking ass and keep it up!

P.S. i was trying to figure out what cut has who on guitar
and i think this time around i can really only peg R.Gilbert
(Massif Centrale?) but everyone seems to be doing so well at
playing that the TM of the player is masked.
't's what it seems like to me anyway
R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/16/2003 12:07:39
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank. How did you do on the quiz?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/quiz/questions/0,12161,1042554,00.html

Might be tougher than the Driver's test....you never know!

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

What is your fascination with my secret closet of mystery?
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are totally plugging up this thread so that FB will never read the whole damn thing, damnit.
The whole reason I found this web was b/c I was so distressed re: my picture not turning out and that the only thing I could think of to say when asking for the picture was come on pilgrim.
Anyways in my dream,
FB sees my post and feels so bad that he says
Hey Carolynanna, I bet you can sing like a mofo and would you like to take Kim's place on our upcoming Pixies reunion tour?
And then I squeal with delight and say yes yes yes!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000