Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  12:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
apl, whats the coyness about your name?
you don't have to answer, i was just wondering.

"I joined the Cult of Trippy/just pretend that pencil is a joint and the girl has red hair"
Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  12:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing it's biblical
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  12:57:22  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
coy? wha? I dont understand! Do you mean why won't I give my real name? It's Jennifer... Or do you mean what does my username mean? biblical? Oh man, how did I get in this briar patch! hahaha!

Where are we going?
Planet ten!
When?
Real soon!!

-The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  12:59:54  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
apl4eris is a tip o' the hat to the discordian goddess, Eris. Io pan, io pan pan.
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  13:07:48  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep. And for god's sake people, don't go leaving troublesome people off of your guest lists. That's how we end up in messes like the Trojan War.

http://discordia.tacobarnproductions.com/cgi-bin/eriswho.cgi

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And all I got was this lousy icon"
Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  13:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahhh, a kali for the white people
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  13:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay, its just dean just asked what you name was, and you just denied that it was alice.
yay, jennifer is a much easier name than apl, in so much as i kept thinking of you as a big giant apple typing at a computer and that kinda freaked me out.

"I joined the Cult of Trippy/just pretend that pencil is a joint and the girl has red hair"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  13:23:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kali indeed... Kali mah, schaktinay. Or something. I watch too much Indy, what can I say.

Mere, wasn't the Trojan war more about being ON the guestlist and then stealing the host's wife. :) So the lesson is, make sure there's at least one girl prettier than yours in the world or you're going to have all sorts of people trying to claim her. ;)

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  13:44:55  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hahaha! I'm a big giant apple. Or was it a quince? ;) I am SO going to have funny dreams tonight - thanks Brackish! err, I mean Jessie?
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  13:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
see, names are fun!

Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  13:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyway, I thought eris was the dative case for eros (my latin ain't what it used to be), meaning apple for love, meaning something hazy about original sin and such
Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  13:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyway, I thought eris was the dative case for eros (my latin ain't what it used to be), meaning apple for love, meaning something hazy about original sin and such
Go to Top of Page

astrology
= Cult of Ray =

Saint Lucia
252 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  06:42:35  Show Profile  Visit astrology's Homepage  Click to see astrology's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dear Frank:
If you see a strange guy in a blue overcoat with a russian camera and a saddam moustache photographing you in your santiago de compostela Show it is me, just follow me I will be checking if santiago (not joey, of course) is as it was 20 years ago when i triesd to study physics, justo for your info, at that time the guys a the chemistry faculty made an study on Franco Street wines and found out that many bartenders in this street used positron acelerators to make their wines, these accelerators werent invented by normal sciene at that time so beware with what you drink, but ask for albariņo wine for fish and any red wine (barrantes is very dense and usuallly contains some dissolved pork to give some taste). sure you will enjoy your eating, if you want somebody who really likes santiago and knowes it a little contact me, lets have an student raid as when i was 19
best regards
david
now in vigo ( 100 Km. from santiago)

get me to lemouria
and vaya usted con Dios.
I pay the gas but in euros please
Go to Top of Page

banned from china
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  07:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles,
Quite simply, id like to know this; if kim joey and dave all agreed and everyone was free and it was no pressure and so on, would u tour and or record again with the pixies?

Best wishes
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  07:40:35  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
like your name

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  08:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
would you consider getting Bruce Foxton and Rick Butler together and touring as The Jam?
Go to Top of Page

Alpha Soixante
- FB Fan -

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  13:59:47  Show Profile  Visit Alpha Soixante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, if all the pixies are up for a reunion but frank, they could always pull another menudo.

Edited by - Alpha Soixante on 10/21/2003 14:02:04
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  14:48:24  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
An apple for Eris keeps the doctor away.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mightyatom13
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  17:52:56  Show Profile  Visit mightyatom13's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank! Welcome to Portland!

I have a few questions re: the city of roses
1. What inspired you to move to Portland (you really couldn't have picked a better city)?
2. Will you be gigging around town at all now that you live here? Your last show in Portland was brilliant...

non PDX question:
3. What are your reading, listening to, and watching?

Good Portland things: Storm every Wednesday at Dante's, Higgins restaurant, Wildwood (usually..although noisy sometimes), Pastini (great pasta for a good price..cheap bottles of Wine), Gino's, Powell's (of course) and the best beer selection around!

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
-- Vladimir Nabokov
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  21:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, have you heard of John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats? If yes, tour with him. That wasn't a question.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Edited by - realmeanmotorscutor on 10/21/2003 21:21:04
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  21:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hell, even if you haven't you're to meet him and tour with him. glad we understand each other.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

Steev
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  10:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Steev's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank, do you remember these?

http://www.sillycat.net/
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  11:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Charles
I don't know if you're ever gonna read this, but I had a question for you. I know that Rice & Beans Music is because of the Puerto Rican dish, but can you tell me the recipe? I've looked for it on the net, but I've never found a decent version with the garlic and lime juice etc.
I'd appreciate your direction...

"Lets me knife, knife me lets"
Go to Top of Page

Elvisisme
- FB Fan -

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  18:39:18  Show Profile  Visit Elvisisme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Freaks read scifi.
I do too.
Try out your basics on Asimov or so and learn about politics on Herbert.
Eris indeed would be the dative for eros but not in the Illuminati-books.

The question first of all would be: Is it a hobby or a conviction of the man whom about all this is.

As the romans said: Quod licet iovis non licet bovis!

"Save trees - eat more beavers!"
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1963 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  01:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm amused by the fact that rather than taking this thread as an opportunity to ask Mr. Black questions that we are dying to know the answer to, many of us forumers tried to call out the poster (who was Mr. Black) as being a fraud, and wasted valueable answering time by doing so. But that's in the past now, and as Joyce Carol Oates wrote for the character Q____ P____ in her novel "Zombie," "anything that is not now is not real" (that may not be ver batim), so it's all good. Regardless of the fact that Frank has not replied to this topic in quite some time, I shall ask my question.

If you can pinpoint your aesthetic as a songwriter, what would you label it, or call it? What do you try to convey when writing? I understand that each time you sit down to write can be circumstance-related, but what overall mood do you try to speak to the listener?
Go to Top of Page

cigarinthesky
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  13:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

You asked early on in this thread if we knew which songs Joey played on for SMYT. I can distinctly hear him on This Old Heartache and think he may be on Massif Centrale as well. There's a wonderful solo on Happiness that I DON'T think is him, but whoever it was ... good stuff. It has that big, "pomp" kind of sound like on Fields of Marigold which is so nice ...

Thanks for all the great music.
Go to Top of Page

mixedbizz
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  03:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Black,

I really love SMYT. An exquisite record. Thank you for making it.
Don't know if you're still answering questions but I have a couple...

Are you happy with the fame and success you have achieved?
Why don't you work with women more often? It was great to hear some female backup singers on Manitoba (beautiful song).

Good luck on your current tour and we hope to see you in Texas when you make it back this way.

Go to Top of Page

Russell
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  06:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Frank,

Thank you for the many years of bliss you've brought to me and mine. We desperately hope to see you again on the next American tour, should you happen to swing back through the Syracuse, NY / upstate NY area. Best of luck with everything, and, if you have indeed moved to Portland, might I suggest "Fugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon" by Chuck Palahniuk? It's a travel guide of sorts, focusing on the . . . mm, eclectic characters at the heart of the city, the legends, the lore. Hope the URL works:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400047838/qid=1067000142/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-0155948-9390231?v=glance&n=507846

I spin SMYT daily and it's terrific. Thanks again for all of the great music. For my money, you and the C's are the best.

Best wishes,
Russell Richardson
Go to Top of Page

crippe
- FB Fan -

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  11:27:19  Show Profile  Visit crippe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is this the general the ´ask frank black about...´ topic? Well, if so, Frank I´m thinking about buying a Fender Telecaster (have a Stratocaster now). I can´t afford the fancy old ones, so I was thought I´d buy: either a Mexico 50´s style one or a Highway 1 Made in the USA one. What do you say Frank, Mexico or cheap USA?
Go to Top of Page

supermikewins
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  11:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some things for Frank (and anyone else) to do in Scotland:

1. Go see the National Parks ( beautiful places particularly Loch Lomond.. I'd like to hear Frank Mention some beautiful parts of Scotland in his songs hehe)

2. Eat Haggis Neeps and Tatties
3. Get hammered on good Scotch
4. Both of the above
5. Attend an Old Firm Football (soccer) match. (Thats Celtic Versus Rangers)
6. Buy a Kilt (and wear at next gig )
7. Come and stay at my B&B....

Yes long shot ^^ but come tour this way again sometime, I really enjoyed the Edinburgh show!
Go to Top of Page

zephyr
- FB Fan -

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  21:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you are fabulous. your music continues to amaze me. thanks. please hurry back, i need to see you live.

zephyr

let them go on, in time you'll feel so better.
Go to Top of Page

hold_on_to_your_ego
- FB Fan -

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  06:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just joined this forum this morning and have skimmed all 16 pages. The last 4 were the hardest because the sun is now shining on my monitor causing a horrid glare.
To -The Man-
Never had the chance to type directly to a musician whose work I enjoy and respect so much before. Thank you for the Pixies, thank you for Frank Black, thank you for Show Me Your Tears. I'm 32 now - have been listening to your music since I was 15. Thank you for sharing your music.

Well I apologise for being so dorky etc but I feel better for posting. Have a beautiful day everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  07:53:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or a horrible day.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Dustin81783
- FB Fan -

12 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  09:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or a beautiful
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  11:25:20  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And for the first time in my life, I just don't care.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000