New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  01:50:13  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://omny.fm/shows/2hours-with-matt-pifield/186-the-pixies-joey-santiago-on-plans-for-new-musi Joey talked to Matt Pinfield about the past and what's next.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Edited by - pixie punk on 02/16/2018 01:51:03

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  02:35:58  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://player.fm/series/2-hours-with-matt-pinfield-2033443/ep-186-the-pixies-joey-santiago-on-plans-for-new-music-their-influential-25-year-career-and-summer-co-headlining-tour-with-weezer Listen here.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  03:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link PP

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  03:24:16  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pixie Punk!
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  04:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link. I can't listen at work, can someone give the juicy details please? Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  05:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great listen

To go through all the history but only ask one question about Bossa Trompe era, I guess that’s the lot in life for those of us who like those albums Best.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  05:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Joey says Kurt Curbain, which is nice.

Spoiler: the interviewer asks about Nirvana
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  05:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Thanks for the link. I can't listen at work, can someone give the juicy details please? Thanks in advance.

Pre-production on the new album starts next month.

“The pressure’s on.”
-Joe
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  05:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Pre-production on the new album starts next month.

“The pressure’s on.”
-Joe

Great! Thanks Bedbug.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  09:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dalgety is doing the next one.

Seems that Joey is a total fan of Dalgety production.

Oh well...

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  11:30:54  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joey had a twin brother,he was the only one to survive at birth,sad.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  11:35:51  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They worked on ideas while on tour and are now putting ideas together vía their smart phones.No álbum before summer tour.Autumn release is my guess.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2018 :  14:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm pity they aren't going with someone else.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  00:09:48  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't remember where I read or heard it, but I believe Charles said that both Dalgety and Gil Norton were going to work on the next one.... I'd like to think with the two of them together and a decent mixer/masterer/someone who knows what he's doing with compression, they could make a great sounding album.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  07:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He made that comment 1 year ago having just run into Norton & Dalgety. He didn't say they were going to work on the album, he just said he liked the idea.

I just wish he could work with the same guy(s?) that did his Frank Black/Grand Duchy records, they just sounded 10x better than any 2.0 track.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  15:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

He made that comment 1 year ago having just run into Norton & Dalgety. He didn't say they were going to work on the album, he just said he liked the idea.

I just wish he could work with the same guy(s?) that did his Frank Black/Grand Duchy records, they just sounded 10x better than any 2.0 track.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  15:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

Amen and amen
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  20:41:12  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im still a bit baffled at how Gil's production on Indie Cindy turned out the way it did.... he's always made great sounding rock records...
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  00:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Joey has something to do with it. He gave a few hints here and there suggesting he actually enjoys this kind of sound. And he definitely loves how HC sounds.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  03:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when they were recording Head Carrier, Dalgety more or less chose the songs he liked best and had the authority to reject songs intended for the album.

I dunno if BF has mellowed in age but I'm sure during Bossanova he took Gil to a record store and showed him the song lengths of surf songs and Buddy Holly songs to prove his point the songs should be short.

I'm a little surprised they have this whole hearted trust in him. Is he more in touch to know what a youthful (presumably) Pixies fan wants than the band itself?

Just get EDF to produce the damn thing.

As a side note, I listened to Head Carrier on Spotify (recently subscribed) and the sound was awful compared to Poweramp with equaliser adjusted. Indie Cindy sounded amazing in comparison.

On the comparisons between the 2, having given it time to settle, Head Carrier has the better singles but IC is the better album. Both would make good - great 7 song EP's.

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  03:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10
I'm a little surprised they have this whole hearted trust in him. Is he more in touch to know what a youthful (presumably) Pixies fan wants than the band itself?

They probably trust their manager. They follow his advice. I guess they didn't met Dalgety out of the blue.

Wasn't he the same guy that didn't want "Cephalophore" as the album title and used to manage the Spice Girls ? He probably knows what's hype.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  07:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They probably trust their manager. They follow his advice. I guess they didn't met Dalgety out of the blue.

Wasn't he the same guy that didn't want "Cephalophore" as the album title and used to manage the Spice Girls ? He probably knows what's hype.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Good point, anything Pixies related probably requires a lot of compromise from BF.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  08:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cephalophore would have been a great title wouldn't it. Don't think I'd have been able to pronounce it before hearing the album though.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  11:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://youtu.be/anWrcmKsYI8

Maybe got the idea from TMBG
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  00:19:08  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was thinking the same thing!

Also, wouldn't it be great if we could make our own fan-edits of albums, like people do with films? Just think if we could get our hands on the multi-tracks of each song, remix and remaster (NO COMPRESSION), make new artwork, play with the track sequencing (maybe add Women of War or take out/add/or replace a few tra cks with Indie Cindy tracks...) rename the album Cephalophore..... that would be really interesting....
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  01:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

quote:

I was thinking the same thing!

Also, wouldn't it be great if we could make our own fan-edits of albums, like people do with films? Just think if we could get our hands on the multi-tracks of each song, remix and remaster (NO COMPRESSION), make new artwork, play with the track sequencing (maybe add Women of War or take out/add/or replace a few tra cks with Indie Cindy tracks...) rename the album Cephalophore..... that would be really interesting....

Yeah, I've been saying this too. Can't some smart fan decompress IC so it's actually listenable?
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  06:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I've been saying this too. Can't some smart fan decompress IC so it's actually listenable?

It just doesn't work that way...

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  07:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:

It just doesn't work that way...

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

So there doesn't exist some studio recording pre-compression? It got permanently compressed and can't go back?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  07:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[You can’t revert something that has been limited, since some data (peaks) has been lost in the process. We just have to wait for another version. Maybe one day, when loudness war is over and the new marketing idea will be to re-release older albums in their « full dynamic range » format ? One day, maybe...

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  09:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know they just re-released Tom Waits's Real Gone with a post loud-loudness-wars mix, hopefully the same can happen to IC someday. But the Pixies don't even seem to know/care about the issue so who knows
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  10:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

I know they just re-released Tom Waits's Real Gone with a post loud-loudness-wars mix, hopefully the same can happen to IC someday. But the Pixies don't even seem to know/care about the issue so who knows

Mhhh... http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/139343

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  11:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Haven't actually heard it yet -- just read about it. I figured it would sound at least as good as Bad As Me but maybe not
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  10:23:34  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-pixies-looking-back-on-doolittle-and-the-making-of-a-classic

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  13:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-pixies-looking-back-on-doolittle-and-the-making-of-a-classic

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

I feel like a computer wrote that article.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  02:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked the "I cut myself" moment from the Crackity Jones story and the kid recognizing Dave instead of Cobain at Six Flags.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  04:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will there be / are there any articles like this for Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000