New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  13:09:58  Show Profile
okay, i aint gonna write them all up, but they both gave it 4/5 and BANG had it as a feature album. and they do this cool thing were they rate each song out of five in a cool frequency lookin thing. three of four of the songs got 5/5, and the rest is a mix between 4/5 and 3/5(i think). Uncut has a nice band photo, and BANG has a big photo of an unshaven frank. he looks very...disgruntled.

-Jessie

"deep in ocean blues of absinthe..."

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  02:08:47  Show Profile
More info please Jessie - are you sure they are too long to transcribe? If so, which songs were rated as 5/5?

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  07:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Jessie, you really have no choice but to at least scan it in. Or type it up. Or something!
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  07:54:21  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
What is UNCUT? I wonder if I could I get that here? (the US) and what is on the cover so I know what to look for? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  09:45:17  Show Profile
the cover is U2(they have an article on the joshua tree).
okay, here's the Uncut one...

Frank Black And The Catholics
Show Me your Tears
"Thirteen big, salty tears," blurbs Black.
"Like 13 little black dogs just born...
ready to howl at the world
"

Ten years since breaking up the band, the prolific Black is slap in the middle of a post-Pixies purple patch. Coinciding with the return of ex-Pere Ubu man Eric Drew Feldman and Joey Santiago, 2001's Dog in the Sand was the kick-start, compounded by the double shot of last year's Devil's Workshop and Black Letter Days. With Feldman and Santiago still around- this time bolstered by Van Dyke Parks, co-producer Stan Ridgeway and The Pale Boys- he's just as impressive. be it country-rockin' with Death ("Horrible Day"), doling out desert blues("New House Of The Pope") or frantically resurrecting Mott The Hoople ("Jaina Blues"), ol' Frank hasn't had this much twisted fun since 1994's Teenager of the Year.

-Jessie

Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  10:03:21  Show Profile
And BANG's little song review-y thing went like this...

Nadine 5/5
EIN 4/5
MFK 4/5
Jaina Blues 3/5
NHOTP 3/5
Horrible Day 3/5
Massif Centrale 5/5
WWHFMA? 5/5
Goodbye Lorraine 4/5
TOH 4/5
The Snake 3/5
Coastline 3/5
Manitoba 5/5

i was a little pissed off at the low rating of the snake and coastline!

but i liked the end paragraph of the review...

"still giving his peers a lesson in eccentric post-punk powertooling, the high priest of alterno has done the next best thing to orchastrating the rumoured Pixies reunion. He's made it unnecessary."

-Jessie

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  10:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
See, you ain't so brackish!

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  01:41:08  Show Profile
Cheers Jessie. Only 3 out of 5 for Coastline?

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:45:07  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I went looking for these last night and found them both, BUT they were the old issues. Wonder how long it will take to reach US?
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  08:19:31  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Thanks, Jessie. Coastline is totally 5/5.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  08:33:53  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
Individually rating songs is the stupidest reviewing idea I've ever heard of.

Boss: "Hey team what do you think we can do to make our reviews stand out a bit more? Make us different from your average joe music reviewer, that kind of thing"

Bob: "How about we individually score the songs on each album!"

Boss: "Wow, what a cutting edge idea! Great thinking Bob! Here, have a Mars Bar"

Bob: "I love this job"

I think the regular album rating system is stupid as it is (take the Rolling Stone website for instance. They've given Pixies records 2 stars while Avril Lavigne gets 3. Go figure). This rating every track idea though takes the super mega dumb cake.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  14:06:14  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
quote:
I think the regular album rating system is stupid as it is (take the Rolling Stone website for instance. They've given Pixies records 2 stars while Avril Lavigne gets 3. Go figure). This rating every track idea though takes the super mega dumb cake.

I think one problem with these sorts of rating systems is that it's not entirely clear with what the reviewers are comparing any individual album. Every album ever released by anyone? Every album that they've heard? Other albums by the same artist? Other albums in the same genre? Maybe they think those Pixies albums aren't so great compared with other alternative rock (not an opinion I'd agree with, mind you), while Avril put out an average young-airheaded-Canadian-girl-pretending-to-be-a-punk-rocker album? Who knows? As for song-by-song reviews, while I'll frequently do them when "reviewing" an album for a fan forum, I don't think it makes that much sense for a semi-professional reviewer to do them.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000