Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  04:15:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I for one like the fuck out of this.

Sounds like a real return to form thing going on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i76b0OrdIQ

Now if only Pixies 2.0 was as good as Breeder 3.0.. (or are we on 4.0 now?)

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  05:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally agree.

Great sounding tune.

Go get 'em Kim Deal.

Remember that thread where we tried to make a decent sounding Pixies album out of the best tracks from IC and HC? Well if we could include Wait In the Car we'd really have something going.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  13:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, but I don't think the Breeders have ever left form.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  15:46:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

I agree, but I don't think the Breeders have ever left form.

This is the Pod/Last Splash line up. They weren't asked to even contribute on Mountain Battles for some reason.

Not sure about the details but according to wikipedia Pod was recorded in Edinburgh?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  20:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pod had Tanya Donnelly though. I read an interview from last year that the debut Belly album Star was intended to be the Breeders follow up to Pod.

But Tanya got pissed when Kim signed on to do more Pixies tours so started her own band.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  23:50:48  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, minus Tanya of course. I think her leaving was probably a good thing to be honest because she went on to do do a lot of great stuff. The Belly album is classic and better than anything The Breeders released IMO. Some of her later solo stuff is also quite good.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  04:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree, pretty sure Rich G played on one of her solo albums.

Belly have been in the studio too, not sure when new material will be released but exciting none the less.

Nice song by Breeders! The 'Good Morning' delivery a bit like the 'Head Carrier' delivery?? Or just in my mind?

They're playing ABC in Glasgow on 15th this month
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  04:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Belly have been in the studio too, not sure when new material will be released but exciting none the less.

Nice song by Breeders! The 'Good Morning' delivery a bit like the 'Head Carrier' delivery?? Or just in my mind?

Thought the same thing
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  05:32:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dream Wife are playing King Tuts on the 13th. I can't afford to go to either but I reckon I'd pick that over The Breeders.

Stoked to hear there's a Belly reunion going on though! Can't wait for that, definately would try and go and see them live if they toured.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  07:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good stuff.
looking forward to the breeders show in antwerp later this month. it's been a while.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  08:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Dream Wife are playing King Tuts on the 13th. I can't afford to go to either but I reckon I'd pick that over The Breeders.

Stoked to hear there's a Belly reunion going on though! Can't wait for that, definately would try and go and see them live if they toured.

They toured last year, played the Garage! Regrettably I could only choose 1 of Belly or Miracle Legion and chose Miracle Legion - no regrets whatsoever as they were amazing but really want to catch Belly next time round.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  09:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm liking it. Good morning!
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  07:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a release date for the album? This and 'Walking with a Killer' are great songs, can't wait to hear the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  08:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this question is out of touch with today, but did Kim bring these songs to the studio during Bagboy days?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  09:49:53  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know bedbug, but it will be interesting to see what the next Breeders album is like. The originalish line up were a bit pissed of at Kim for not even asking them if they wanted to record Mountain Battles. But that album was a bit of a departure so maybe Kim just didn't think they'd fit in to what she was trying to achieve?

Need to look up Walking With a Killer, is that a new one I missed?

I think it would be nice if Belly and The Breeders both released new albums and toured together, and Tanya could join them for a few old Pod numbers.

Fuck it, let's invite Kristen Hersch as well.

I'm not that familiar with Tanya's solo stuff but I like this one. She's a dead ringer for a girl I used to know in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLGAlIiqxuQ
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  09:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm digging this track. I think this sounds authentically Breeders which could help if the new album has this kind of production. This is a kind of sound I'd love to hear from new Pixies instead of the more over produced compressed kind of sound. Anyway I look forward to hear more new songs from Breeders. I did miss tickets for the show in NY unfortunately but I wouldn't be surprised if they add more dates in the coming months.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  21:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Need to look up Walking With a Killer, is that a new one I missed?

it's part of the kim deal solo release series (bunch of 7" singles, Dec 2012 - Nov 2014): http://kimdealmusic.com/

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  09:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to Pod today and thinking that this is the best solo stuff Kim's ever done, which of course is the same basic era that Frank did the best stuff he's ever done in my opinion

What was it about this time period of late 80s early 90s that gave us so much good stuff?
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  04:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to see them next week at the Electric Ballroom - can't wait :)

They've started doing press for the album, bit of a Pixies mention but nothing surprising..
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/oct/07/the-breeders-drugs-kurt-cobain-life-after-pixies

Belly were amazing on their reunion tour last year - they're recording now, pledge for the new album: https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/belly
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  04:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

They've started doing press for the album, bit of a Pixies mention but nothing surprising..
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/oct/07/the-breeders-drugs-kurt-cobain-life-after-pixies

in the picture above the article, is that really kim on the right? i thought that was kelley.
but it does say: "(from left) Jim, Kelley, Josephine and Kim, AKA the Breeders."

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  10:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Going to see them next week at the Electric Ballroom - can't wait :)

Belly were amazing on their reunion tour last year - they're recording now, pledge for the new album: https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/belly

Thanks for posting :) Good read, forgot about the extent of the drink and drug problems.

Rich Gilbert played on Tanya Donelly albums Lovesongs for Underdogs, Beautysleep, Whisky Tango Ghosts and toured with the band.

Both Lovesongs and Beautysleep are amazing, the former as good as Belly at their best and the latter trod new ground that to this day is still amazing. Need to check out the recent Swan Song series.

David Lovering also played on an early EP from around 96 or 97.

Tanya is probably my 2nd favourite Pixie related non Pixie (Mark Mulcahy 1st!), really great songs that evolved over time, not unlike Frank.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  03:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Swan Song Series is worth the effort, there's a lot there to like even if a couple miss the mark.
Tanya toured with the Muses 2-3 years ago playing some of that stuff and some old classics with a really stripped down band. She also got up with Kristin each night for a mini Muses reunion :)
That Breeders pic in the Guardian is truly awful!

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  08:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that Breeders track is a tune, no doubt about it.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  08:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Listening to Pod today and thinking that this is the best solo stuff Kim's ever done, which of course is the same basic era that Frank did the best stuff he's ever done in my opinion

What was it about this time period of late 80s early 90s that gave us so much good stuff?

Something to do with no internet, no smartphones and no autotune
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  10:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beginning sounds like Treshold Apprehension.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  12:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

Good points
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  12:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just drove from NYC to Boston and listened to Dirty Hessions about 30-40 times.

It's one of the best driving songs I've ever heard.

The beginning of Ole Mulholland is good for driving too
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  02:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

More like youth, ambition, inspiration, less pressure and nothing to lose IMO.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  06:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may not be the hippest opinion but I think both Last Splash and Star still stand up while Pod is more of a curio..
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  12:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It may not be the hippest opinion but I think both Last Splash and Star still stand up while Pod is more of a curio..

Disagree with you on this one. One half of Last Splash is fantastic, but there's also a lot of filler in there. Pristine sounding filler, yes, but filler nonetheless.
That middle stretch from Roi to Mad Lucas is not Kim's strongest run of songs (although I adore 'Do You Love Me Now').
And the album also doesn't end strongly. 'Divine Hammer', 'SOS' and 'Hag' are pretty great, but the last few songs are kind of just pleasant, not bad, but nothing spectacular either.

For my money, Pod is consistently great all the way through, even if it doesn't have those big fat singles.

Star is a bit too sugary for my taste, but stands on its own as one of the best albums to come out of that Pixies-Throwing Muses extended family.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  01:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FitzyDisagree with you on this one. One half of Last Splash is fantastic, but there's also a lot of filler in there. Pristine sounding filler, yes, but filler nonetheless.
That middle stretch from Roi to Mad Lucas is not Kim's strongest run of songs (although I adore 'Do You Love Me Now').
And the album also doesn't end strongly. 'Divine Hammer', 'SOS' and 'Hag' are pretty great, but the last few songs are kind of just pleasant, not bad, but nothing spectacular either.

For my money, Pod is consistently great all the way through, even if it doesn't have those big fat singles.

Star is a bit too sugary for my taste, but stands on its own as one of the best albums to come out of that Pixies-Throwing Muses extended family.

There's a ton of variety in those middle tracks on Last Splash though, only Mad Lucas really outstays its welcome. Still sounds fresh too, endearingly fresh in the case of some vaguely fluffed guitar parts.

Star is very sweet but its just a brilliant guitar pop album.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  13:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decent set tonight, included Wait In The Car and B side (an Amon Düül cover). BBC session is broadcast tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  17:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Good points

There was internet in the early 90s.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2017 :  01:25:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Breeders are on BBC Radio 6 right now being interviewed by Lauren Laverne and playing a some live songs. You'll be able to listen to that again on the BBC iPlayer when it comes up later.

There's a string of singles coming out and a new album Kim says, and I think the B sides are all going to be covers? Anyway they're going to be doing a cover of Gates Of Steel by Devo! What a track that is, can't wait. Devo are also from Ohio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcD_G2zOJuA
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2017 :  03:31:32  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2017/10/19/breederspins-glasgow-o2-abc-17102017/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
255 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2017 :  04:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

They toured last year, played the Garage! Regrettably I could only choose 1 of Belly or Miracle Legion and chose Miracle Legion - no regrets whatsoever as they were amazing but really want to catch Belly next time round.

Belly have announced a UK tour in 2018: http://bellyofficial.com/2017/10/18/june-18-uk-dates/
Further, for those who are interested, there is a pledgemusic campaign going on right now to fund the new Belly record. https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/belly

Good times in the land of Tanya Donelly!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000