Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  14:41:11  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So Head Carrier has been out for awhile now, was wondering how everyone is liking it after the buzz of the new release has died down a bit. Do you think it's held up? Do you still find enjoyment in it, or have you moved on to something else?

Are there things in it that you've picked up on that you particularly like/dislike/find interesting?

I for one do still really like it, but I haven't listened to it for a week or two.... whereas when it first was released I was listening to it multiple times daily for weeks. I still like it, but I feel like in a way I've kinda moved on..... I need to go back and listen again and see how it holds up after a break.

But, there is one thing I've noticed on the song Head Carrier that I particularly like. The outro of the song is basically BF yelling HEAD CARRIER with Paz, then the second time he says it less-yelly, and the third he just speaks it, and the last time BF says nothing, we only hear a quiet Paz saying Head Carrier. That made me think of the life slowly leaving the head after it's been cut off.... the speech from the saint being loud at first, and then slowly diminishing until the life has fully left the head....

Anyone else have any thoughts/observations about HC and any/all of the songs/moments on it after having digested it for awhile?

Edited by - yarbles on 11/16/2016 14:46:21

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  22:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like the album more and more. i think it's really good.
i'm now even enjoying the songs i wasn't too fond of originally.

i too have taken a little break from the album lately, but i guess one needs to after a while.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Peter Walker
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  23:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I just had to put aside any preconceptions of what a Pixies album should sound like in 2016...are three blokes in their fifties going to make the same noise they did in their early twenties, especially with a new girl in her forties participating for the first time?

So, I wasn't that keen initially, but now I think it's an excellent record.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  01:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say I like it about as much now as I did when it came out, which is to say quite a bit. Not much has changed in my opinions of songs: my favorites then are still so now, and same re: least favorites.

I would say All the Saints is the one that has grown on me the most. Brilliant song. And Baal's Back is trending down for me. Not into it then or now.

If FB can put out one of these records every year or two we are in great shape.

Great question Yarbles.
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  11:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same feeling as Bedbug. Really like the album, as much now as I did then. It's a strong set of songs, but I still feel BF can do better.

When the album only has 12 songs and breezes by this quickly, good songs like Talent, Bel Esprit (still struggling with this one, love love the "that's the way of this man" part, but the rest of the song, meh) or Plaster of Paris kind of stick out a bit for me as not being on par with the first half of the album. Even if 'All I think about now', 'Um chagga lagga' and 'All the saints' are probably my favorite songs on the album.

Guess I'm still waiting for a 12 or 15 incredibly strong set of songs from Frank.

Something I thought about the other day, that I hope is way off: how many more albums does this Pixies 2.0 run has to offer. Or FBF solo albums for that matter.

To me, Head Carrier is a strong album, the band seem to be very proud of it, and still, the album got a mixed reaction, some people calling it a comeback, some dismissing it as not being as good as the early stuff, some saying that Kim Deal is awesome and giving the album garbage reviews.

Frank has never seemed to care about reviews, at least when he was in the Catholics or releasing his solo stuff, but maybe the not so positive (or ignorant/biased/stupid) reviews regarding new Pixies stuff would sting a little bit more?

After more than ten years of touring, I would imagine the band to be in a comfortable place in terms of money. Frank Black now also has a large family, less time to write songs or tour, and seems to be increasingly interested in painting, mentioning in an interview that if he has creative urges, he is happy to just channel that energy and create whatever he feels like with brushes and paint.

I still remember something he said about Kristin Hersh a couple of years ago, something about how she's a "lifer", someone who is unable to function without writing songs and releasing albums. I've always thought of FB as being kind of the same, maybe because we were lucky enough to hear a new album or more every year when he was in the Catholics. Now I'm not so sure of it.

So, do you guys see Frank continuing to create music in some form or another for many years to come or are we getting the last few albums from the man?

Is this shit all related to me hearing about the sad news of Leonard Cohen's death? Probably.

Edited by - Fitzy on 11/19/2016 12:59:01
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  16:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy

I still remember something he said about Kristin Hersh a couple of years ago, something about how she's a "lifer", someone who is unable to function without writing songs and releasing albums. I've always thought of FB as being kind of the same, maybe because we were lucky enough to hear a new album or more every year when he was in the Catholics. Now I'm not so sure of it.

So, do you guys see Frank continuing to create music in some form or another for many years to come or are we getting the last few albums from the man?

I could be wrong but my impression is he'll keep writing and recording music. Perhaps things move a bit slower, relative to the Catholics/solo material because of the nature of the collaboration; I've a feeling Joey and Dave have a bit of veto power other people he's worked with lacked.

Since he is currently putting his energy towards Pixies albums, it could be the wonderfully prolific tempo we're used to will be a bit slowed. But that's by his standard, hasn't it only been a couple years since Indy Cindy?

My point is, while it's possible Frank could retire, in which case I'd still happily marvel at the amount of great music he created, I think he'll be releasing music going forward, with the Pixies and possibly on his own as well.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2016 :  20:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am just baffled so many people around here don't like Talent. For me it was easily the best song on my first few listens, the most fun, the most catchy, the most interesting musically. It was the first song to get in my head and the first one I played for my friends and girlfriend when telling them about the new Pixies album. It's the song that sounded like the band and Frank were having the most fun. Why on earth is it so disliked around here?!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  04:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must say I haven't listened to the record in a month or so. I don't really feel the urge to listen to it again for now. Hard for me to get over the horrendous production. I really, really tried. Oona & Saints are on my playlist, though. I think I'll let a few months pass and try again.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 11/20/2016 04:42:14
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  05:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Hard for me to get over the horrendous production.
I find that turning the bass frequencies well down on the equalizer helps quite a bit.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  11:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie

quote:

Hard for me to get over the horrendous production.
I find that turning the bass frequencies well down on the equalizer helps quite a bit.

Same
I can't listen to it otherwise

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  11:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bel Esprit (still struggling with this one, love love the "that's the way of this man" part, but the rest of the song, meh)

Exact contrary for me
I find Bel Esprit exceptional during the verses and the strength of the melodic intertwine of voices, then I feel let down by the repetitive and simplistic chorus ;)

--
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  12:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:

Bel Esprit (still struggling with this one, love love the "that's the way of this man" part, but the rest of the song, meh)

Exact contrary for me
I find Bel Esprit exceptional during the verses and the strength of the melodic intertwine of voices, then I feel let down by the repetitive and simplistic chorus ;)

--

I get what you are saying, and kind of agree with you, but I catch myself humming that part more times than I can count. And Joey is doing that downward lick with his guitar. Earworm stuff, I guess.

The melodic intertwine of voices you mention, I also like that part, but it sounds to me a bit out of place on the album, an alt-country vibe maybe?

It's the Bell Esprit/Chimpanzee part that I really can't get into, though.
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1052 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  17:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some songs or parts of them are frequently played in my mind, sung a capella or whistled. My wife responds. Digging the Pixies in 2016 is as hard as digging yourself in a mirror dressed as a woman when you're 37. Quite enjoyable when possible on stage though...

++++

Edited by - Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo on 11/21/2016 18:01:16
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  08:57:30  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Listened to it again the last couple of days
After the Amsterdam gig

This is pretty nifty record, people

Disclaimer: No Kim, no relevance, no youthful energy, nothing you haven't heard before

Still

Fine, fine lyrics, great songs, solid playing, great new bass player, lovely harmonies, great drumming

I'm a sucker for Frank's writing and this one record is classic Frank

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  12:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've not listened to it for a while now, dunno why as I couldn't get enough of it at first. I'm sure it'll have matured like a fine cheese* when I return to it. That last happened with Bluefinger: got a bit tired of it after months of repeated plays, left it for a while, and when I went back it blew me away.

*Maybe I should have said wine. Actually no I was right first time - cheese; Roquefort, Gorgonzola maybe. When I stopped listening maybe it was getting a bit Edam.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 12/06/2016 12:49:06
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  02:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman
Fine, fine lyrics, great songs, solid playing, great new bass player, lovely harmonies, great drumming

Really ? I think there are fantastic melodies et super-catchy songs on this record, but I think the Achilles' heel of the album are probably the lyrics & the very standard drumming.

My theory is that Dave cannot play crazy drums on every single song on a setlist. And Indie/Head are more laid-back when it comes to drums. So he can rest a little between the earlier songs.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  03:33:51  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Really ? I think there are fantastic melodies et super-catchy songs on this record, but I think the Achilles' heel of the album are probably the lyrics & the very standard drumming.

My theory is that Dave cannot play crazy drums on every single song on a setlist. And Indie/Head are more laid-back when it comes to drums. So he can rest a little between the earlier songs.

Same here. I like the album a lot but I'm very disappointed in the drums parts. A drum machine would have done the same.
Hell I hope he doesn't read the forum...

Denis
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  03:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave said in multiple interviews that the classic Pixies albums were complicated to make because he had to record them super fast and didn't have much time to rehearse. According to him Indie & Head sessions were great because he had plenty of time to learn his parts and rehearse as much as he wanted to.

Maybe he's just more creative when he works in a rush ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 12/07/2016 03:49:14
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  07:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Listened to it again the last couple of days
After the Amsterdam gig

This is pretty nifty record, people

Disclaimer: No Kim, no relevance, no youthful energy, nothing you haven't heard before

Still

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Agree with this. It doesn't seem like many people are saying HC is a bad album, as opposed to IC which a lot of people have called "bad."

The rub seems to be whether or not HC is a good Pixies album, or merely a good something else.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  07:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless it's already been done, I think a thread on:

"What is the least Pixies sounding Pixies song of the 1.0 era?"

would be an interesting discussion.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  08:39:49  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBAijg5Betw
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  09:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah!
:-)
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  11:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Unless it's already been done, I think a thread on:

"What is the least Pixies sounding Pixies song of the 1.0 era?"

would be an interesting discussion.

Silver, Here Comes Your Man, Navajo Know

--
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  12:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gigantic
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  22:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is my mind... it just does not sound like any other Pixies song at all.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2016 :  22:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make Believe (no BF/Kim vocals)

Edited by - Stevio10 on 12/08/2016 22:15:37
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2016 :  14:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only got the CD the other week and I still haven't sat down and listened to the bloody thing!
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  08:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha! You're closer to listening to it than I am. Perhaps it'll be a Christmas present.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  17:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a few months of listening to it I'm still saying it's a great piece of that guy's music. I would love one of these every year.

I still consider the last Pixies album (that sound) to be the first half of Bossanova. I'd say HC ranks somewhere in the middle of BF solo stuff, below Bluefinger but above NSE.

Also I always disliked the order of the songs on IC, but I like HC's order just fine.
Go to Top of Page

Idalgo Clandestino
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
104 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  22:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The good thing about HC is that it makes IC sound really good!

----------------------------------
you probably thought i'm a shy guy
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2016 :  07:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Idalgo Clandestino

The good thing about HC is that it makes IC sound really good!

hahahahahahahaha

I like both albums quite a bit, but I have to agree with you, Idalgo.

To me, despite the "transitional" nature of IC, I feel Gil's "thought experiment" was an unqualified success: it really does sound like what I can imagine the "next" Pixies album after TLM could have sounded like.

If I did not know that Kim Deal had left the band early in the sessions and had her bass tracks wiped, I would likely not have noticed any substantial "lack" in the final product.

Some (including perhaps FBF, Dave and Joey) may view HC as a "return to form" for the band after IC.

I think HC is a fine and very enjoyable album. A lot of it reminds me a great deal of what the Pixies were doing on their way to splitting up initially. Even more of it reminds me of what FBF has accomplished in the years since the band originally ceased to be.

However, IC reminds me of what the Pixies had become (and had achieved) by the time they took that long, long break.

It's a HUGE shame that, in concert at least, they seem to have relegated 95% of IC's songs to the garbage heap.

It's a real bummer to not get to hear what tunes like "What Goes Boom," "Jaime Bravo," "Blue-Eyed Hexe" and "Ring the Bell" might have morphed into over time.

I hope they reconsider at some point and work them up for even occasional inclusion into their live shows.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2016 :  12:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received it for Christmas.

I may listen to it on New Years Eve when I drive to meet my friend-with-benefits. It's either that or maybe some Queens of the Stone Age.

Happy New Year!
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  10:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One listen in the car, too soon to tell other than an early impression, don't really know the song titles yet:

I liked Chugga Lugga, Talent and really disliked the Where is My Mind derivative. Why would they do that?
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  09:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've listened to it three times, and overall I prefer it to Indie Cindy, catchier songs, some good riffs and a few great tunes.

I still haven't looked at the track list but amongst the others I mentioned above, Classic Masher stood out this time and Talent is so amazing I don't want to wear it out. Chugga Lugga is pretty good too. The Where is my mind like song is still bad; just wanted it to stop.

I like the blend of the instruments, particularly Dave's drums, no opinion on the loudness element since I've only heard it on car speakers. There's some nice guitar lines as well from Joey.

To my mind, Indie Cindy has songs that tried for something different, which I respect but didn't much enjoy listening to, Head Carrier thus far seems more traditional but the songs are better.

Neither one is as good as the original albums but I just take them for what they are now, or how they seem to me...which is more like a Frank Black solo album with his old bandmates resulting in an all right or slightly below average record and a good one.

I suppose more listens could change my perspective, but for now I enjoy the new album feeling, not knowing what song is going to come next and strectching that out as long as I can.

cheers

Edited by - Arm Arm Arm on 02/17/2017 09:17:03
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2017 :  13:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listened to it again after maybe 6 weeks break while doing the dishes. Was bopping away instantly. It's a great little record, no doubt. Definitely feeling the Doolittle vibe but its the poppier end. Know almost all the lyrics word for word already.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  02:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talent is the best track on the record IMO - a blast of pure energy reminiscent of Alison, Thalassocracy or Pong
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000