Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Old Neptuna
- FB Fan -

Ireland
200 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  02:34:26  Show Profile
Thought this topic would be up by now, but if you guys were as drunk as I was, then the delay is understandable!

Where to begin?

First surprise of the night - The Man walking cooly up to the front door with guitar in hand, nodding and smiling at the fans that recognised him.

Opener was Phil ??? from Turn, with a very brave but good acoustic set, with own stuff, banter and some cool covers.

On with FB - not too good at remembering setlists - but did he open with Velouria? Seem to remember most of the songs off of SMYT, except Manitoba and Massif Centrale.

Crowd went barmey over the Pixies stuff, of course, but still give it up for all the other FB stuff, most albums represented, except Cult of Ray - I think. (You guys help me out on this!!).

Great to hear Brackish Boy, California Bound and 66ty6. No let-up between tracks, lost count after about 20 songs. One mandatory encore - and then, the crowd refused to go and 'we-want-more' thronged for ages, until we heared - 'Frank - someone wants you' from the back of the stage. Then came the second coming - 'Nimrod's Son' (??), finishing with 'Dirty Old Town' (wow!). Hope to God someone taped it.

Someone got the red guitar pick next to me - fair play.

Now comes the cool part - after enjoying about three after-gig pints at the bar, decided to visit the jacks and on the way down the back-stairs, met The Man with Glen Hansard (The Frames)! Gob-smacked, I managed to tell him great show, he said thanks and luckily, having brought up an cover of 'I don't want to hurt you' single and a marker, asked if he could sign it - and he did - unbelievable. Shook his hand and told him 'looking foward to Vicar ST'. (Felt a bit like a nerdy fan - but can't help being in awe after listening and collecting The Mans music for 15 years!!).

So that put the icing on the cake - but there was more icing..........

Went for a wander later, and saw The Man leaving the front door, with his guitar in hand, so managed to say thanks for the gig and shook hands again!!! Now feel like a complete stalker-twat - complete coinsidence though - honest! (My right hand will now go up for sale on E-Bay!).

Left a lot out - all I can say is fantastic gig, thanks for coming Frank - Vicar Street next.

Have some photos if someone can give me some upload space.

Old Neptuna

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  03:36:34  Show Profile
What can I say? Me too!
To say I was in awe is an understatement. FB never fails to impress, but Friday's show just left me in a greater state of awe and euphoria than usual. Met Charles on the way out and couldn't muster up anything more than to shake his hand and thank him. The sheer determination of the crowd to insist upon another encore was surreal; in both a flattering and to some extent a quasi-scary sense. So when I finally got the opportunity to meet him I was seriously sensititive about not coming across as an obsessed (although admitedly I am in the non-stalker kinda way)fanatic.

Tuned into Tom Dunne's Witness show on Sat by chance and there he was again. He's been invited to play some 'country fair' today...god knows where...and will be interviewed with guitar on 'Pet Sounds' tuesday (9 pm Today FM ...I think)

Living for October 2nd.
Go to Top of Page

Old Neptuna
- FB Fan -

Ireland
200 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  06:03:29  Show Profile
Yeh - it's real tough to be cool and ask questions about the new album etc.

At least he's a nice guy to meet, and doesn't tell you to fuck off - not like some.

Tuna
Go to Top of Page

Dead Ed
- FB Fan -

Ireland
1 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  06:07:57  Show Profile
I only heard about the gig on Wednesday evening - and learnt that it was sold out on Thursday morning. I was at Witnness 2001 and sure as hell wasn't going to miss it no matter what. My original plan was to bribe a bouncer to let me in! At the door we begged them for tickets. They told us that credit card tickets mightn't be collected (yeah right) and to come back later. We went into the pub in the TBMC and ordered. The barman told us we'd have to leave at 7 if we didn't have tickets. We found a quiet corner in the pub and stayed there.....for 3 hours, biting our nails expected to be kicked out at any minute. Amazingly nobody bothered to check for tickets and we got in for free!

I never expected to hear crackity jones on acoustic guitar, but that started the night off. The crowd was lively, the music was superb. Frank Black's voice carried the tunes and allowed the drums and electric guitars to go off in your head! Dirty Old Town sounded like it had been worked on alot since Witnness 2001. That ended the first encore. The voice on the loud speaker told us that was the end of Frank Black and that we're very welcome to stay for the next act - Frank Lane. Poor Frank Lane got booed out of the place. The crowd was going nowhere, the chanting and cheering continued for what must have been approaching 15 minutes. At last Frank reappeared for another 2 or 3 tunes. He had actually changed out of the suit. THat was the first genuine encore I had ever witnessed.

Roll on October - Im playing it safe and getting tickets beforehand this time!
Go to Top of Page

Old Neptuna
- FB Fan -

Ireland
200 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  06:13:55  Show Profile
Sorry - Ollie Cole of Turn, (not Phil ???)!!!
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  01:45:20  Show Profile
you lucky sods.

You have to be 100% behind someone, before you can stab them in the back - David Brent
Go to Top of Page

Retch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
64 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  03:13:24  Show Profile
Yeah, it was a great gig.....but he didn't seem to be in the best mood ?? maybe i'm wrong, sorry old neptuna, i forgot to bring your phone number home from work.....but i think i was talking to you just after you met mr. black, ..........unfortunatly i didn't get to meet him........but Bono got to take him up to the Clarence for a pint. Damn rockstars.

Retch.

This ain't no holiday.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  03:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
seeing Frank Black in Dublin, that would be cool.... Dublin is a very cool city!

cool!

War....... Its not fantastic

Edited by - Stuart on 07/14/2003 03:32:24
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  04:04:50  Show Profile
you should come visit us stuart. but its feckin freezing most of the time so bring yer woolies. as for FB going to the clarence with bono - nice one!

You have to be 100% behind someone, before you can stab them in the back - David Brent
Go to Top of Page

Old Neptuna
- FB Fan -

Ireland
200 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  12:19:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bazza

you should come visit us stuart. but its feckin freezing most of the time so bring yer woolies. as for FB going to the clarence with bono - nice one!

Bazza - are you back? or on a French machine?
Go to Top of Page

Old Neptuna
- FB Fan -

Ireland
200 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  12:22:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retch

Yeah, it was a great gig.....but he didn't seem to be in the best mood ?? maybe i'm wrong, sorry old neptuna, i forgot to bring your phone number home from work.....but i think i was talking to you just after you met mr. black, ..........unfortunatly i didn't get to meet him........but Bono got to take him up to the Clarence for a pint. Damn rockstars.

Retch.

This ain't no holiday.

Yeh Retch - I was the drunk happy chap in the FB+C's brown t-shirt
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  13:27:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Old Neptuna
Bazza - are you back? or on a French machine?

i am back! paris is awesome and flippin HOT. glad you guys had a good laugh there. lucky feckers - ah well ill see you all in vicar street. i also picked up a spare ticket too if anyones interested (bearing in mind that the last time he played there it sold out in 5 days).
Barry

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  13:31:47  Show Profile
Keep that ticket for me, Barry, I'll gladly have 'er. Also, I require a plane ticket to Ireland. Having waiting at Deifenbaker Int'l Airport. Thanks.

PS Get two seats. I like to put my feet up. And a massuesse. Legitimate!
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  13:33:08  Show Profile
er... no. coz you called us corkers. so there!

Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  13:33:49  Show Profile
hello...i was there...under his feckin nose!! i was leaning on the stage!!! i could have touched his feet! but of couse i didn't.
you guys are so lucky to meet him. i was talking to ollie from turn on the saturday at witnness and he was telling me how nervous he was. i told him i nearly got crushed at the turn slot.
i didn't know he played so many pixies stuff at gigs, so i thought when he opened with crackity jones that was gonna be it, but then after nadine he played velouria! 'shite, that was amazing, wish he would of played into the white though' i thought to myself. and of course, among the cracking set of fb, fb+c and covers he played lots of pixies stuff, including into the white!
its was brilliant to sing along to all his songs with everyone else, and all the people around me were grinning as much as me.
it was pretty clear after the first encore he was gonna come out again cos they didn't put on the house lights or change the stage gear. i waiting in my place the whole time and of course, he came out. he looks a little more relaxed without the c+w shirt, and he was really into the songs.
what did everyone think of his solo on this monkey?? that was so fucking cool!!!

bored of the little comments. i guess i'll just have an actual signature. much shorter.
-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  13:39:04  Show Profile
from the thing i just wrote it seems i liked the pixies stuff more than his newer stuuf. in fact i had very mixed emotions about the amount of pixies stuff he played cos i went to see him do all his amazing solo stuff, but of course i enjoyed it all. to use that horrible phrase, 'blindin!!!''

bored of the little comments. i guess i'll just have an actual signature. much shorter.
-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  13:44:18  Show Profile
Barrmeister, I have officially dropped "corker" from my pseudo-celtic affectations. No more, I say! You said, "no more corker, you arse", and I say "Aye!". Now that that business is all cleared up, let's recap:

2 seats, first class (one for me, one for my sure to be tired dawgs)
1 masseusee (possibly Asian descent, strong hands and no chit-chat a must. I'm thinking geisha girl)
1 kosher meal (I'm a gentile, but sometimes you just gotta go kosher)
1 copy "Wall Street Journal" (I like to look important, I will most likely have my own copy of Bruno & Boots "The War With Mr. Wizzle" behind this)
1 hug from 1 Mr. Bazza when I get off the plane. (I always wanted someone to run up and hug at an airport)

Please begin preparations immediately, I'm on a tight schedule. Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  13:51:06  Show Profile
if you listen really carefully you can hear my sides splitting. haha.

Go to Top of Page

Old Neptuna
- FB Fan -

Ireland
200 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  13:55:44  Show Profile
Weh-hey Bazza,

Looks like Speedy M's a fast worker boy!
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  13:56:05  Show Profile
Listen chuckles, let's just say if you don't make the above arrangments, I'll be "100% behind you"....
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  13:59:18  Show Profile
also - if you listen REAL carefully you can hear my knees knocking together as well!
speedy_m - BRING IT ON!

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:03:04  Show Profile
Oh I'll bring it alright. I'll bring all you can handle. Which means I'll have to bring it to Ireland. So once again, I'll need:

2 seats .....
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:03:55  Show Profile

bastard

Go to Top of Page

Old Neptuna
- FB Fan -

Ireland
200 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:07:52  Show Profile
Bazza + Speedy M,

A very public show of affection - realy very touching!
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:08:12  Show Profile
if you do come over i promise ill have a Kraft(tm) dinner waiting for you as well!

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:12:10  Show Profile
What's more appealing than an Irishman with a hot pot of KD? Well, a woman, I suppose... but other than THAT, he's all I need.

"Fast worker boy"? Explain Old Neptuna, or I'll get affection and very touching with your only daughter!
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:16:42  Show Profile
quote:

Bazza + Speedy M,

A very public show of affection - realy very touching!

ring a ding ding

Go to Top of Page

Old Neptuna
- FB Fan -

Ireland
200 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:17:45  Show Profile
Fast Worker - an efficient and speedy artisan
Boy - a colloquialism used in place of 'maannn' in the area of Cork, Ireland

Hope everything is alright.

Edited by - Old Neptuna on 07/14/2003 14:55:45
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:21:42  Show Profile
Oh my, I am a perv.... and a trans-continental one at that. I do apologize good sir, and hope we reconcile our differences over a mug of ale. Lest we forget, I'm the "speedy artisan", and I'm apt to be a little eccentric. Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:23:32  Show Profile
quote:

Boy - a colloquialism used in place of 'maannn' in the area of Cork, Ireland

haha. its probably my second fave Cork expression after 'langer'
ok - its 10.20 and im off home to my pot noodle. now thats good eatin'

Go to Top of Page

Old Neptuna
- FB Fan -

Ireland
200 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:25:25  Show Profile
No problem old chap - please don't hug bazza too hard as you sound rather muscular!
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:30:07  Show Profile
How does one sound muscular in print? I'm not sure how I've accomplished this feat, but needless to say it's entirely accurate. As for Barry, I'll hug him hard enough to let him know I'm there. Which is to say he will most likely suffer some internal bleeding, and possibly loss of liver function. Someone will have to spoon feed him KD to nurse him back to health. Neptuna, you could be the man for the job...
Go to Top of Page

Old Neptuna
- FB Fan -

Ireland
200 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  14:38:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

How does one sound muscular in print? I'm not sure how I've accomplished this feat, but needless to say it's entirely accurate. As for Barry, I'll hug him hard enough to let him know I'm there. Which is to say he will most likely suffer some internal bleeding, and possibly loss of liver function. Someone will have to spoon feed him KD to nurse him back to health. Neptuna, you could be the man for the job...

Blimey! I was right - uncanny

It's all very well for you Transatlantics, but it late here so - good luck!
Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  03:35:16  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
Whoah there boy!!! Did I see somewhere in this thread that the tickets for Vicar street are on sale already?!?
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  03:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by bazza

Cheers for the invite.... I'd love to come over to Dublin again, its a great city and the Irish are a great people, very hospitable (a damn site more hospitable that English folk anyway). Was over in Dublin for the Slaine Castle U2 gig a few years ago and had a very good time, albeit a very drunk time. Maybe when I return to England I'll take my Chinese girlfriend (my wife by then I suppose) to Ireland for a tour, as I'd love to see the other parts.

War....... Its not fantastic
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  07:34:52  Show Profile
stuart - you are more than welcome! drop us a mail if you are coming over. ireland RAWKS!

guy - yup. tickets went on sale last tuesday - not sold out yet but hurry up man - the temple bar gig sold out VERY fast due to FBS popularity over here. also - if you are coming over to the gig drop us a mail as well! it will be great. i am also going to the london astoria gig as well so let us know if any of you are there as well.
cheers

Is your work done? Are all pigs fed, watered and ready to fly?....
- David Brent
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000