Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  05:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.pixiesmusic.com/2016/10/california-here-we-come/
Got my ticket to the Sacramento show! Woohoo!
Guess this is a warm up for the Winter tour, maybe get Joey up to speed and all.

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  06:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rad! Can't wait to read your report on the show
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  01:34:29  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome! just grabbed tickets for the Ventura show! For some weird reaon I woke up in the middle of the night and saw an alert from this songkick app I use saying there was a new Pixies tour date in my area.... I didn't see the official announcement with the presale password, so when I got to the screen I first guessed headcarrier, which was wrong, then i guessed masher, which got me in. I was ecstatic, I thought I'd cheated the system somehow. Ha ha. Little did I know all the info had already been posted on pixiesmusic.com.

Caved and bought a ticket to the San Luis Obispo show as well.... Road trip!

Glad to hear these shows are happening, must be a an indicator that Joey is doing well and they'll be able to keep all their announced tour dates.

So pumped to see them in a couple weeks!

Edited by - yarbles on 10/11/2016 01:50:55
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  11:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dare you to shout out Super Lecker
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  05:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

I dare you to shout out Super Lecker

It's funny - I was just thinking today, if they come back to Minneapolis this year I'm going to get front row seats and shout Super Lecker mercilessly
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  14:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting excited for the show next Wednesday, especially since it's at a smaller venue than I've usually seen that it. Really would enjoy seeing some of the other HC songs live.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  22:34:14  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing them the next day in San Luis Obispo and then the next day in Ventura as well. Getting pumped, i'd love if they just played all of HC :)
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  22:35:46  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing them the next day in San Luis Obispo and then the next day in Ventura as well. Getting pumped, i'd love if they just played all of HC :)
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  22:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Velouria:
https://youtu.be/xDezB_oUHmk

Bone
https://youtu.be/F-Pxf-PFU8g

Looks like Joey's pedalboard has lost some weight.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/25/2016 22:32:30
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  06:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we get a setlist?
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  07:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in Santa Cruz...don't know the exact set list. But they played Head Carrier, Masher, Baal's, Bel Esprit, Tenement, All I Think and All the Saints off H.C.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  07:43:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice addition to the other HC songs

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  07:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh.. and Um Chagga Lagga
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  08:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by QuaBear

I was in Santa Cruz...don't know the exact set list. But they played Head Carrier, Masher, Baal's, Bel Esprit, Tenement, All I Think and All the Saints off H.C.

Did you think for a second that All I Think was WIMM or did it not sound like it to you?

Any thoughts on the other new ones?
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  08:42:41  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hoping they play Oona at either San Luis Obispo or Ventura... Interested to see how these songs translate live!
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  08:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright! A lot of HC songs played, makes me even more excited for tonight. Driving to Sac from the Bay in evening traffic will suck, but I'm thinking it'll be worth it to see the new stuff. Can't wait.
Thanks for sharing Quabear.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  08:45:58  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Enjoy tonight natenate101! Record some vids of the new songs if you can ;)
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  09:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this setlist accurate ? http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2016/the-catalyst-santa-cruz-ca-1bfa8db0.html

No Tenement, Bel Esprit,...etc... ?

Into the white also ? Paz singing ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/26/2016 09:13:46
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  09:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh...Paz sung Into the White...and there was most definitely Tenement and Bel...and that set list is correct (the song order is not correct) sans Tenement, Bel, All I Think, All the Saints and all the other HC songs I listed.

Edited by - QuaBear on 10/26/2016 10:34:51
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  10:34:16  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHaZHE_wJvc Vamos.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  15:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here now, there was a pretty long line outside waiting for the doors to open. New merch that I've never seen before here, plus a few shirts and a hoodie I've seen on the site.
Crowd is hyped. I'm 3 people deep right in front of BF's mic.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  19:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debaser
Isla De Encanta
Talent
Monkey
Magdalena
River Euphrates
Bel Espirit
Classic Masher
Chagga
Crackity
Subbaclucha
Tenement Song
I've Been Tired
Gouge Away
Might As Well Be Gone
Mr Greives
Ed Is Dead
Hey
Where Is My Mind
Here Comes Your Man
Vamos
Brick Is Red
Plaster of Paris
Bone Machine
Wave Of Mutilation
All I think About Now
Velouria
Planet of Sound

Encore:

Ana
Cactus

Edit: it was Ana they played, not Allison. My bad.

Edited by - natenate101 on 10/27/2016 05:01:30
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  21:18:16  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dude! Awesome setlist! 8 HC songs.... still no Oona though.... crossing my fingers that they'll test it out tomorrow or Friday....

How was the overall vibe of the show? Did the new songs translate well live? Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for the setlist!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  21:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sacramento:

Debaser
https://youtu.be/QLjaoucxRm4

Wimm
https://youtu.be/iLlLycUsiQA

All I think about now (a bit rushed ?) / Velouria
https://youtu.be/uV_lbrDJAdI

Here comes your man
https://youtu.be/mzketSXi11g
___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/26/2016 21:56:50
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  23:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks natenare101, would love to hear your review of the whole show
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  04:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plaster of Paris...Yes Yes Yes :)
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  05:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed myself. The band did the usual "bang it out" set with no talking, except for before the encore in which Joey's roadie had a bunch of issues getting him all setup. BF was kinda forced to talk and said something about not having technical difficulties like this in a long time. He said some other stuff but his voice was shot so it was hard to make out. Someone yelled out "I love you!" And his reply was "Love is fleeting". Haha.

The set list was pretty awesome to me. The HC songs were a bit mixed. UCL went over the best, easily. It's speed and impact were appreciated and the song doesn't let up. Classic Masher was really solid too. People didn't know it but it was obvious that the song was catching their attention. Plaster of Paris was interesting because you could tell they were still ironing it out, but it bounced along with that bass and I was loving it. Extended intro to that one, maybe because they were getting everything organized in their heads. Talent was solid enough, Might As Well Be Gone and Bel Espirit were fine but didn't elevate at all. The songwriting simplicity shows on those and they could use more twists, but we already knew that. All I think About Now was fun to hear. People did indeed respond initially like it was Where Is My Mind, even though the band had already played that earlier in the set! Paz sounded ok, but the entire night the mics seemed a bit low so it likely wasn't easy to decipher the lyrics for those not familiar with the song. But she got a good reception after it was over.

Dave was the most jovial looking, BF in black glasses was all business, Joey honestly seemed to be struggling a bit and was concentrating really hard at times, Paz was doing her thing with minimal fuss. The best songs to me were any that the bass was prominent in. Her sound was fantastic. They played a little longer than I thought they would, which was cool. Odd that the encore consisted of Ana and Cactus, but they'd played so many songs already they may have exhausted the usual encore choices aside from Into The White.

I was second in line by the stage, which was really interesting. I've never been up that close for a Pixies show and it was nice to feel the power coming from the band throughout. I do think being that close hurt in terms of hearing the vocals clearly, but I was singing the words anyway so I guess that didn't ultimately matter. The band as we all know doesn't talk at all, so it's maybe not that easy to feel "connected" to them during the set, but that's ok. They made mistakes and you could hear gaps in some songs and notes being misplayed but the efficiency and speed at which the songs go by really drowns all that out.

The newer songs that are slower or more simple didn't impact as well as the punkier, more raw numbers. I honestly think this is where they should focus going forward. UCL blended in very nicely and Masher, while having pop elements, also fit right in. Magdalena, Bel Espirit and Might As Well Be Gone really need MORE to make the crowd go beyond polite appreciation into total engagement. But that's my personal opinion.

New merch I hadn't seen before. A shirt with the new Pixies design just above an image of a man being punched in the face by a huge fist. Another one with a picture of some Head Carrier artwork. Wasn't fond of that one. Women's shirt with Pixies logo with a cat on it. There was one other shirt that was new to me but i don't remember it well. $35/shirt. $30/hat. $55/zip up hoodie.

All in all I had a really good time. Drove up from the Bay and arrived in Sac at 5pm. Had a beer and a little food across from the venue. Went outside to check things out at 615, saw the line was getting longer and jumped in. Doors a little after 630. Opener went on at about 745, Pixies at 845. Show over about 1020. Lotta cool people that I chatted with, I was solo, and a pretty upbeat atmosphere. The place was jam packed. I looked back at the crowd a few times to see their reaction at specific songs and although people seemed hyped I didn't really see the whole crowd moving together or anything. A couple dudes tried to mosh, and I proceeded to give them the Heisman. Not happening boys. Let me enjoy the damn show.

Highlight for me was UCL (yes, seriously!), Cactus, Subba, Planet of Sound (great!) and Plaster of Paris. I was singing every word of it, and I am positive those around me were thinking," what is this song and why is this dude singing it word for word?" Haha. Very excited to hear that played. Happy I made the drive and cut out of work early. Long Live The Pixies!!

Have fun tonight yarbles.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  06:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHaZHE_wJvc Vamos.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Thanks for posting.
I like how Joey makes his guitar sound a bit like Frank's scream when he returns to the mike after the solo, I think around 1:39.

Good to hear about Into the White.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  06:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

I really enjoyed myself. The band did the usual "bang it out" set with no talking, except for before the encore in which Joey's roadie had a bunch of issues getting him all setup. BF was kinda forced to talk and said something about not having technical difficulties like this in a long time. He said some other stuff but his voice was shot so it was hard to make out. Someone yelled out "I love you!" And his reply was "Love is fleeting". Haha.

The set list was pretty awesome to me. The HC songs were a bit mixed. UCL went over the best, easily. It's speed and impact were appreciated and the song doesn't let up. Classic Masher was really solid too. People didn't know it but it was obvious that the song was catching their attention. Plaster of Paris was interesting because you could tell they were still ironing it out, but it bounced along with that bass and I was loving it. Extended intro to that one, maybe because they were getting everything organized in their heads. Talent was solid enough, Might As Well Be Gone and Bel Espirit were fine but didn't elevate at all. The songwriting simplicity shows on those and they could use more twists, but we already knew that. All I think About Now was fun to hear. People did indeed respond initially like it was Where Is My Mind, even though the band had already played that earlier in the set! Paz sounded ok, but the entire night the mics seemed a bit low so it likely wasn't easy to decipher the lyrics for those not familiar with the song. But she got a good reception after it was over.

Dave was the most jovial looking, BF in black glasses was all business, Joey honestly seemed to be struggling a bit and was concentrating really hard at times, Paz was doing her thing with minimal fuss. The best songs to me were any that the bass was prominent in. Her sound was fantastic. They played a little longer than I thought they would, which was cool. Odd that the encore consisted of Ana and Cactus, but they'd played so many songs already they may have exhausted the usual encore choices aside from Into The White.

I was second in line by the stage, which was really interesting. I've never been up that close for a Pixies show and it was nice to feel the power coming from the band throughout. I do think being that close hurt in terms of hearing the vocals clearly, but I was singing the words anyway so I guess that didn't ultimately matter. The band as we all know doesn't talk at all, so it's maybe not that easy to feel "connected" to them during the set, but that's ok. They made mistakes and you could hear gaps in some songs and notes being misplayed but the efficiency and speed at which the songs go by really drowns all that out.

The newer songs that are slower or more simple didn't impact as well as the punkier, more raw numbers. I honestly think this is where they should focus going forward. UCL blended in very nicely and Masher, while having pop elements, also fit right in. Magdalena, Bel Espirit and Might As Well Be Gone really need MORE to make the crowd go beyond polite appreciation into total engagement. But that's my personal opinion.

New merch I hadn't seen before. A shirt with the new Pixies design just above an image of a man being punched in the face by a huge fist. Another one with a picture of some Head Carrier artwork. Wasn't fond of that one. Women's shirt with Pixies logo with a cat on it. There was one other shirt that was new to me but i don't remember it well. $35/shirt. $30/hat. $55/zip up hoodie.

All in all I had a really good time. Drove up from the Bay and arrived in Sac at 5pm. Had a beer and a little food across from the venue. Went outside to check things out at 615, saw the line was getting longer and jumped in. Doors a little after 630. Opener went on at about 745, Pixies at 845. Show over about 1020. Lotta cool people that I chatted with, I was solo, and a pretty upbeat atmosphere. The place was jam packed. I looked back at the crowd a few times to see their reaction at specific songs and although people seemed hyped I didn't really see the whole crowd moving together or anything. A couple dudes tried to mosh, and I proceeded to give them the Heisman. Not happening boys. Let me enjoy the damn show.

Highlight for me was UCL (yes, seriously!), Cactus, Subba, Planet of Sound (great!) and Plaster of Paris. I was singing every word of it, and I am positive those around me were thinking," what is this song and why is this dude singing it word for word?" Haha. Very excited to hear that played. Happy I made the drive and cut out of work early. Long Live The Pixies!!

Have fun tonight yarbles.

Thanks natenate101 for the review. Sounds like an awesome show.

Looks like Magdalena was the only song from IC?

Any thoughts on Tenement Song?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  06:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to be a downer but on the couple of clips I've watched Joey's playing has been very sloppy. Hope he's OK and just getting back into the groove slowly.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  07:31:45  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks natenate101 for your setlist/review.Can't wait to hear Plaster of Paris live.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  08:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey was pretty sloppy, for sure. But isn't that to be expected? I imagine these warmup shows are largely for him.

I have some video of Plaster, Tenement and a few other ones. Don't know how I can share them. Not interested in setting up a YouTube channel. If anyone knows an easy way I can share let me know.

Bedbug, Tenement Song was fun. Guitars sounded great. I sang the first verse out loud and no one else sang it, haha. Gotta be honest though, I thought that all the mics needed to be turned up, and this was a song that could've benefitted from it. All in all it was solid. Might As Well Be Gone was probaby the only one where people didn't seem very interested. Bel Espirit second.

I hope more people give HC a chance. Didn't seem like too many were familiar with it.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  09:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can always upload them on Wetransfer without setting any account.

https://www.wetransfer.com/

Just put your e-mail in both e-mail fields and share the link.

Thanks !

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/27/2016 09:52:02
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  12:59:41  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq5two4RRBk All The Saints + Nimrod's.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  13:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favourite song on the album, but it's not really working live, is it ?

All my best to Joey.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  20:46:35  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey hey everyone, San Luis Obispo just finished, what a show.... here's the set list:

Nimrod's Son
Mr. Grieves
Indie Cindy
Where is my mind
Here comes your man
Gouge away
Um chagga lagga
Bel esprit
Tenement song
Classic masher
Head Carrier
Wave of mutilation
Caribou
Magdalena
Ana
Brick is red
No 13 baby
All I think about now
Monkey gone to heaven
Broken Face
Crackity jones
Baal's back
Tame
Vamos
Holiday song
Cactus
Subbacultcha
Debaser
Hey

Planet of sound
Into the White

High energy show. The crowd was super into it. Most active crowd I've seen at a pixies show in a long time. Moshing, crowd surfing, one idiot even got on stage, ran around for a second and then attempted to stage dive. The crowd parted like the Red Sea and he went down pretty hard. I couldn't help but laugh. But it was a fun, loud, high energy show. I liked that they blazed through some of their most well known songs right off the top, got everyone amped and also kept me guessing what would come next. Never seen Where is my mind that early in a set before. The block of new songs sounded great to me, but the crowd died down considerably for those. They still sounded good, The 1 2 3 punch of Crackity Jones into Baal's Back into Tame was awesome.

Still would've loved to hear Oona, hope they dust it off tomorrow. But besides that no complaints! Awesome fun show, small venue, high energy. Can't wait for tomorrow.

I recorded all the HC songs and other bits. I'll upload them later.

Um Chagga Lagga https://youtu.be/nQ1IPQbfj-o

Bel Esprit https://youtu.be/s2jDfxVS344

Tenement Song https://youtu.be/gqHrF3jcQ94

Classic Masher/Head Carrier https://youtu.be/ahqjh5idsMo

All I Think About Now https://youtu.be/R04RwHt5qqk

Baal'a Back https://youtu.be/BOt7KFrgcNc

Into The White https://youtu.be/LCppgSy3e08

Ana/Brick is Red https://youtu.be/-HAvsJm353k

Tame https://youtu.be/NeOFU9Lj8cE

Edited by - yarbles on 10/28/2016 01:27:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic