Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  21:49:05  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

I thought it was common knowledge there HAD been some emotional investment between BF and Kim
Look at this scan from Uncut Magazine December 2004

I remember FB saying something like, "That journalist was a [bad word],
he had a chance to ask us about it, but he was too scared."
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  03:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must have been quite a furtive relationship ! Wasn't BF with Jean Walsh from the very early Pixies days until just before the Pixies reunion or something ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  04:05:20  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe that is true.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  10:49:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  14:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

I thought it was common knowledge there HAD been some emotional investment between BF and Kim
Look at this scan from Uncut Magazine December 2004
http://www.sorenfife.co.uk/misc/pdf/uncut.pdf
Ken Goes, on page 11, confirms there was some attempted relationship
I would like to think Kim was BF's "love of his life", that must be his secret wound (even if it's completely over for decades now)
Come on, everyone was in love with Kim, it's just normal there was some attraction between those two big characters / personalities / egos
Now we might never know the full story, and who cares, but clearly such episodes have influence on your subsequent life and songwriting
Remember how Violet went ballistic when Kim left the band, and released (then deleted) her many truths about her, I felt it wasn't just a criticism of their professional / artistic relationship but that there was some deeper resentment.
I can totally imagine someone like BF taking a painful "life-defining-moment", maybe the pivotal point of 'missed opportunities", and transmute it into something cathartic and universal through creative process, especially if put in motion by a stable and healing figure like Paz seems to be

Nonsense. First off, when Thompson met Deal, he was a 20 year old college drop out, working a minimum wage job, and living in a dump of an apartment. Deal was 24 years old, living with her husband in a nice part of Boston...both had full time jobs. They were very different people, at very different places in life.

Thompson seems friendly with Deal's ex-husband, see the scene from
loudQUIETloud where Deal meets up with her ex. Would you be friendly with a guy who was screwing your wife, even if you're now divorced from that woman? The Deal sisters still seem friendly with Thompson's ex-wife. Would a wife/girlfriend be friendly with the 'other woman'?

As for Violet, yes, I remember the Facebook post. Violet basically called Deal a fucked-up, old, ex-junkie. Yes, Violet was angry. Can you blame her? Thompson spent a LOT of money to produce the new album, and Deal just up and walked out. Thompson could have ended up losing all that money. Can't say I blame Violet.

Yes, Thompson once wrote a mocking song about Deal...You Ain't Me. I think it was in response to Deal's 'I Just Wanna Get Along', which was less than flattering about Thompson.

I haven't heard the new song in question, or seen the lyrics, so I don't really know what it's about. Maybe it's just a way to once and for all cut the cord with Deal, and let Paz take over some of the singing duties. I'd like to think it's about the audience, and their acceptance of Paz as a Deal replacement.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  20:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile
Thompson seems friendly with Deal's ex-husband, see the scene from
loudQUIETloud where Deal meets up with her ex. Would you be friendly with a guy who was screwing your wife, even if you're now divorced from that woman? The Deal sisters still seem friendly with Thompson's ex-wife. Would a wife/girlfriend be friendly with the 'other woman'?

Well, yeah... Happens frequently. People are not psychopaths.

Anyway, her we go again, lost in Kimology.

When the album is released, music press will probably mainly focus on this song. Sigh...

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  22:18:21  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

When the album is released, music pressFissile will probably mainly focus on this song. Sigh...

Corrected that for you

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  05:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

When the album is released, music pressFissile will probably mainly focus on this song. Sigh...

Corrected that for you

Denis

Not me, it's the Deal Fanboiz who write "No Kim, no deal" on every single Pixies Facebook post. That's why I find it bizarre that Thompson would bring this shit up again.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  08:54:48  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thompson probably brought it up because it's an honest explanation and answer to a question posed, and I think he could care less about the insignificant No Kim, No Deal Facebook posts. He's always been really good at ignoring annoying and insignificant comments and questions, and he never gets wrapped up in drama, hype, accolades, etc. I've always admired how honest and unaffected he is by a lot of the narrative that the media/fans create around the band.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  12:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty good read from Pitchfork, of all places.
http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1256-pixies-black-francis-and-paz-lenchantin-on-head-carrier-and-replacing-kim-deal/
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  21:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Pretty good read from Pitchfork, of all places.
http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1256-pixies-black-francis-and-paz-lenchantin-on-head-carrier-and-replacing-kim-deal/

Thanks. Didn't know Lenchantin toured with The Martinis (and didn't know The Martinis had toured at all tbh).

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  04:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So those guys at pitchfork have heard the album already? I hope part of the deal involves having a different person doing the album review than the dude who reviewed IC.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2016 :  20:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.scoopnest.com/user/Beats1/765956643846782977

BF did a quick interview on Beats1 today.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  01:43:41  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.nme.com/news/pixies/95908

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  02:35:22  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://blurtonline.com/feature/good-head-pixies/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  05:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BF's assessment of IC in the NME interview: "transitional at best, like we lost an arm but were still trying."

Wow. I love this guy.
Go to Top of Page

Gustav
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
25 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  23:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interview in Dutch (behind paywall I think):
www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2016/08/25/wij-zijn-een-surrealistische-band-a1517914

Alsof je zonder te remmen van een berg af rijdt, met gierende banden door de bochten en met de politie op je hielen. ‘Um Chagga Lagga’, de nieuwe single van de Amerikaanse indierockband Pixies, klinkt als een dronkemansrit. ‘I’m heading south but kind of west’, zingt frontman Black Francis terwijl overstuurde gitaren en beukende drums het nummer voortstuwen. ‘I just keep on driving, don’t get mixed up in shit.’ Het zingen verandert gaandeweg in mompelend kreunen, alsof er in de kofferbak een gekneveld slachtoffer ligt. Op de achtergrond klinken sirenes. Als je ernaar luistert, zoevend over de snelweg, trap je vanzelf nog wat harder op het gaspedaal. Dit is perfecte autorijdmuziek.

Ultieme roadtripsong

De inspiratie voor het nummer, vertelt Black Francis in de lobby van een Luxemburgs zakenhotel, kreeg de zanger ergens in deze contreien, toen hij vanuit België richting Zuid-Frankrijk reed. „Montpellier, Arles, die hoek. Flarden van die reis zijn verweven in dit nummer. Later heb ik de tekst weggetrokken van die Europese locatie en het meer algemeen gemaakt. Het is een nummer dat over iedereen zou kunnen gaan, op welke weg dan ook. Het is mijn poging tot een ultieme roadtripsong.”

‘Um Chagga Lagga’ – de titel is een door hem verzonnen eufemisme voor seks, aldus Black Francis - staat op het nieuwe Pixies-album Head Carrier, dat 30 september verschijnt. Het is het eerste ‘full album’ sinds Trompe Le Monde uit 1991 en klinkt als een heerlijk ouderwetse Pixies-plaat, vol hysterische rockabillyklanken, stuiterende punkakkoorden en krijsende stemmen. Anders dan op Indie Cindy, de verzameling EP’s die de Pixies in 2014 uitbrachten en die nogal lauwe reacties opleverde, klinkt de viermansformatie weer net zo energiek en rebels als in de beginjaren. Alle ingrediënten die de Pixies in de jaren tachtig en negentig tot zo’n legendarische band maakten - de woede, de gekte, de creativiteit, de tweestemmige samenzang – zijn op Head Carrier aanwezig.

Precies op de afgesproken tijd komen de bandleden binnendruppelen, ieder vanuit hun eigen hotelkamer. Vier totaal verschillende karakters zijn het, die op het persoonlijke vlak niet altijd even goed boteren, maar die samen een unieke sound voortbrengen. Zanger-gitarist Black Francis (1965), de gezette voorman, is het norse brein van de band en schrijver van alle teksten. Gitarist Joey Santiago (1965) gedraagt zich als een baldadige, semi-ongeïnteresseerde puber en is volgens eigen zeggen verantwoordelijk voor 75 procent van het Pixies-geluid. Drummer David Lovering (1961) is de meest goedaardige van het stel, een soort lieve oom die serieus op alle vragen ingaat en verschrikt kijkt als Santiago weer eens iets onaangepasts zegt. En dan is er nog de nieuwe goedlachse bassiste Paz Lenchantin (1973), die volgens de andere bandleden de reden is dat de sfeer tegenwoordig zo goed is in de tourbus.

In de voetsporen van Kim Deal

„Toeren is nu veel leuker dan vroeger”, zegt David Lovering. „En dat is vooral te danken aan Paz. Je wilt jezelf niet voor schut zetten tegenover een nieuw bandlid, dus we gedragen ons beter.” Ze hebben nu veel meer lol samen, beaamt Joey Santiago. „Paz werd ons jaren geleden al aangeraden. Ze heeft in bands als Zwan en A Perfect Circle gespeeld en was violiste bij Queens of the Stone Age. Ze wordt door muzikanten erg gerespecteerd. Ze kent iedereen in iedere stad.”

De bassiste vertelt dat ze ontzettend zenuwachtig was bij de eerste repetities. „Ik had het gevoel dat ik in de voetsporen van mijn voorgangster Kim Deal moest stappen. In het begin was dat echt een gevecht, vooral als het ging om de vocalen. Kims stem was altijd zo direct en uitgesproken. Dat probeerde ik te imiteren. Totdat ik op een gegeven moment besefte wat haar stem zo bijzonder maakte: het feit dat ze zo oprecht klonk. Die ziel van een stem is heel belangrijk. Ik ontdekte dat ik gewoon mijzelf moest zijn en niet moest proberen om op haar te lijken.”

„Ze heeft geworsteld met de oude nummers die we live spelen”, zegt Black Francis over zijn nieuwe collega, die met opgetrokken blote benen naast hem op de bank zit. „Het gevoel van een nummer moet je jezelf eigen maken. Als je dan nieuw materiaal opneemt, moet je uitvinden hoeveel van dat oude vocabulaire je gaat gebruiken en hoeveel je zelf kunt invullen. Paz is klassiek geschoold, zij is veel meer geneigd om muzikale frases in de baslijnen aan te brengen dan we tot nu toe gewend waren.”

Waarom duurde het zo lang voordat jullie met nieuw materiaal kwamen?
Lovering: „Toen we in 2004 na een pauze van tien jaar weer bij elkaar kwamen, hebben we zeven jaar lang alleen maar oude nummers gespeeld. Op een gegeven moment duurde de reünie langer dan dat we oorspronkelijk een band waren geweest. Toen wisten we dat het tijd werd om nieuw materiaal op te nemen.”

Op dit album zijn veel oude punkinvloeden te horen. Een nummer als ‘Talent’ heeft het up-tempo ritme en de ongepolijste directheid van de vroege songs van The Undertones of The Buzzcocks. Waren dat referenties?

Black Francis: „Tja, je maakt een plaat en je refereert naar van alles. Het ene moment praat je over Lou Reed, het volgende over Beethoven.”
Lovering: „Dat deze plaat zo rauw en onafgewerkt klinkt, heeft ook te maken met onze nieuwe Britse producer Tom Dalgety. Hij is opgegroeid met die oude punk. Hij houdt van veel distortion op de gitaren, het liefst laat hij alle wijzers in het rood lopen.”

De teksten zijn onnavolgbaar en gestoord als altijd. Er komen driekoppige monsters en marsmannetjes voorbij. In ‘Tenement Song’ zit de frase: ‘The drumsticks were his treasure trove/ Found in the ashes of the Cocoanut Grove’. Hoe komen jullie erop?
Black Francis: „Dat nummer gaat over een brand in een beroemde nachtclub in Boston, the Cocoanut Grove, waar in 1942 bijna vijfhonderd mensen omkwamen. Ook een vriend van mijn grootmoeder, een man naar wie mijn vader vernoemd is, is bij die brand omgekomen. Hij was een drummer., maar ik weet niet of hij die avond optrad of niet. Zo’n tekst bestaat dus uit flarden van collectieve en persoonlijke herinneringen. Plus wat je allemaal kunt vinden op Wikipedia.”

Legt u aan de andere bandleden uit waar uw teksten over gaan?
Black Francis: „Nee.

Lenchantin: „Ik wil geen uitleg. Toen ik opgroeide, vond ik het fijn wanneer ik bij mijn favoriete muziek mijn eigen beelden kon verzinnen. En zo mijn eigen leven en mijn eigen ervaringen erin kon verweven. Als ik teksten krijg van Black Francis, omdat ik bepaalde delen als backing vocals moet zingen, vraag ik niet waarover die zinnen gaan. Dan ga ik uitzoeken hoe ik me ertoe kan verhouden. Zodat het bij mij vandaan komt. En ik hoop dat als andere mensen het zingen, het bij hen vandaan komt.”

Lovering: „Ik heb geen flauw idee waar zijn teksten over gaan. Ik luister alleen naar de melodie. Ik hoor wat de stem doet, maar ik luister niet naar de woorden. Bij onze muziek draait het om de verbeelding. Bij veel van de dingen waar Black Francis over schrijft, of het nu over ruimteschepen of religie gaat, kun je je eigen ideeën en plaatjes vormen.”

Santiago: „Eigenlijk interesseert het me geen ruk waar hij over zingt. Ik haak vaak in op losse woorden, en geef dan op die manier sfeer aan een song, alsof ik een soundtrack maak voor een film. Zo krijgt een nummer iets specifieks. In ‘Um Chagga Lagga’ zit op een gegeven moment een break. Die had ik ook kunnen invullen met een gitaarsolo, maar ik wilde er met het geluid van een sirene wat spanning in brengen. Ik hoorde de zinsnede ‘Um Chagga Lagga on the side of the road’ en moest denken aan een prostituee die vermoord werd gevonden langs de kant van de weg. Vandaar die sirene. Andersom laat ik me voor mijn muziek ook wel door films inspireren. Ken je het nummer ‘Dead’ van de elpee Doolittle, met dat pling-pling-pling-gitaartje? Dat heb ik ontleend aan de beroemde douchescène uit Psycho. De gitaarslagen memoreren het mes dat in haar lichaam gestoken wordt.”

Veel van jullie collega-punkbands maakten in de jaren tachtig nummers met expliciete, politieke teksten. De Pixies zijn nooit een politieke band geweest. Hebben jullie nooit de neiging je te willen uitspreken?

Black Francis: „Nee, wij zijn een surrealistische band. Ik maak geen kunst die wil reageren op het nieuws. Anderen zijn daar heel goed in, maar ik niet. Veel van die politieke songs zijn veel te specifiek, ze gaan over collectieve momenten die iedereen kent. Als een nummer te veel klinkt als het nieuws, verliest het voor mij zijn aantrekkingskracht.”

Lenchantin: „Wij willen muziek maken die tijdloos is. Als je jezelf te veel verbindt aan een specifieke tijd, stopt het bestaansrecht van de muziek als die tijd voorbij is. Dan zeggen mensen later in geschiedenislessen: in die tijd had je die en die bands. Ik luister veel naar klassiek. Die muziek heeft al die periodes overleefd. Daar kan ik eeuwen later nog steeds van genieten.”

Black Francis: „Op deze plaat staat een nummer dat ‘Head Carrier’ heet. Dat zit vol historische connotaties. Het gaat over Saint-Denis van Parijs, de heilige wiens hoofd werd afgehakt. Hij was het niet eens met de plek waar hij begraven zou worden en pakte toen zijn eigen hoofd op om er vervolgens tien kilometer mee rond te lopen, terwijl dat hoofd nog steeds aan het praten was. In mijn tekst wordt het verhaal verteld vanuit het perspectief van zijn metgezellen, die ook vermoord zijn. Als je kijkt naar het nieuws van vandaag de dag, met alle religieuze moorden, zou je er een parallel in kunnen zien. ‘Head Carrier’ is geen eenduidig commentaar op het nieuws. Maar de connectie is er wel, heel dun, als een haar.”
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  00:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mag ik Engels spreken ?

Google translate:

----------

If you drive off without brakes of a mountain, with screeching tires through the corners and with the police on your heels. "Um Chagga Lagga," the new single from the American indie rock band Pixies, sounds like a dronkemansrit. "I'm heading south or west but child ', sings frontman Black Francis while distorted guitars and pounding drums propel the song. "I just keep on driving, do not get mixed up in shit." Singing gradually turns into moaning, muttering, as if there is a victim gagged in the trunk. In the background sound sirens. If you listen, whizzing down the highway, kick your self a little harder on the accelerator. This is perfect car driving music.

Ultimate road trip song

The inspiration for the song, Black Francis says in the lobby of a Luxembourg business hotel, the singer was somewhere in these parts, as he drove from Belgium towards the south of France. "Montpellier, Arles, that corner. Patches of that journey are interwoven in this issue. Later, I pulled the text of those European location and made it more general. It is a number that could be about anyone, in any way whatsoever. It is my attempt at an ultimate road trip song. "

"Um Chagga Lagga" - the title is a euphemism invented by him for sex, according to Black Francis - is the new Pixies album Head Carrier, which appears September 30. It is the first "full album" Trompe Le Monde since 1991 and sounds like a wonderfully old-fashioned Pixies album, full of hysterical rockabilly sounds bouncing punk chords and screeching voices. Unlike on Indie Cindy, the collection of EPs that uitbrachten Pixies in 2014 and which resulted in rather lukewarm response, the four-piece band sounds just as energetic and rebellious as in the early years. All the ingredients that made the Pixies in the eighties and nineties to such legendary band - anger, madness, creativity, two-part harmonies - are present Head Carrier.

Exactly at the appointed time the band members come trickling, each from their own room. Four different characters are the ones that are not always good butter on a personal level, but which together produce a unique sound. Singer-guitarist Black Francis (1965), the portly leader, the gruff mastermind of the band and author of texts. Guitarist Joey Santiago (1965) behaves like a wanton, semi-uninterested adolescent and its own words, responsible for 75 percent of the Pixies sound. Drummer David Lovering (1961) is the most benign of the bunch, a kind of sweet uncle beginning seriously to all the questions and looks startled as Santiago again says something onaangepasts. And then there's the new cheerful bassist Paz Lenchantin (1973), which according to the other band members, the reason is that the atmosphere is now so well in the tour bus.

In the footsteps of Kim Deal

"Speed #8203;#8203;is much better than before," said David Lovering. "And that's mainly due to Paz. You want to put yourself not embarrass in front of a new member, so we behave better. "They now have much more fun together, agrees Joey Santiago. "Paz has already advised us years ago. She has played in bands like Zwan and A Perfect Circle and was a violinist with Queens of the Stone Age. She is highly respected by musicians. She knows everyone in every town. "

The bassist says she was incredibly nervous at the first rehearsals. "I had the feeling that I follow in the footsteps of my predecessor Kim Deal had steps. In the beginning it was really a fight, especially when it came to the vocals. Kim's voice was always so direct and outspoken. I tried to imitate. Until I realized at one point that her voice was so special: the fact that they sounded so sincere. That soul of a voice is very important. I discovered that I just had to be myself and was not trying to look like her. "

"She has struggled with the old songs we play live," Black Francis says of his new colleague, who raised bare legs sitting beside him on the couch. "The feeling of a song you have made it your own. When you record new material, you need to figure out how much of that old vocabulary you will use and how you can enter yourself. Paz is classically trained, she is much more inclined to make musical phrases in the bass than we were used to date. "

Why it took so long before you came up with new material?
Lovering: "When we came back together after a break of ten years in 2004, we have long just old songs played seven years. At a given moment the reunion took longer than that we had originally been a band. When we knew it was time to record new material. "

On this album can be heard a lot of old punk influences. A song like 'Talent' has the up-tempo rhythm and unpolished immediacy of the early songs by The Undertones and Buzzcocks. Were these references?

Black Francis: "Well, you make a record and you refer to everything. One minute you're talking about Lou Reed, next to Beethoven. "
Lovering: "That this record sounds so raw and unfinished, also has to do with our new British producer Tom Dalgety. He grew up with that old punk. He likes lots of distortion on the guitars, the least he let all hands running in the red. "

The lyrics are inimitable and crazy as ever. There will be three-headed monsters and aliens over. In 'Tenement Song "is the phrase:' The drumsticks were his treasure trove / Found in the ashes of the Cocoanut Grove. How do you get it?
Black Francis: "That song is about a fire in a famous nightclub in Boston, the Cocoanut Grove, where almost five hundred people were killed in 1942. A friend of my grandmother, a man to whom my father is named, was killed in that fire. He was a drummer. But I do not know if he played that night or not. Such text thus consists of fragments of collective and personal memories. Plus you can find everything on Wikipedia. "

Will explain to the other band members where your lyrics about?
Black Francis: "No.

Lenchantin: "I want no explanation. When I was growing up, I was happy when I could invent my own images to my favorite music. And so my own life and my own experience was woven into it. If I get texts from Black Francis, because I parts to sing backing vocals, I do not ask which those seated. Then I'll figure out how to relate me to. So that it comes from me. And I hope that when other people sing it, it comes from them. "

Lovering: "I have no idea what his lyrics are about. I just listen to the melody. I hear what the voice, but I do not listen to the words. Our music is about the imagination. In many of the things Black Francis writes about, whether it's about spaceships or religion, you can form your own ideas and images. "

Santiago: "Actually it interests me a jerk he sings about. I often hook into single words, and then give that way atmosphere to a song, if I create a soundtrack for a movie. For example, a number something specific. In "Um Chagga Lagga 'is a break at some point. I could also fill with a guitar, but I wanted the sound of a siren that bring tension. I heard the phrase "Um Chagga Lagga on the side of the road" and was reminded of a prostitute was found murdered along the side of the road. Hence the siren. Conversely, let me for my music also inspired by movies. You know the 'Dead' song from the album Doolittle, with the pling-pling-pling-guitar? I have borrowed from the famous shower scene from Psycho. The guitar strokes recall the knife into her body. "

Many of your fellow punk bands did in the eighties songs with explicit political lyrics. The Pixies have never been a political band. Have you never tend you want to express?

Black Francis: "No, we are a surrealistic band. I do not make art that would react to the news. Others are very good at, but I do not. Many of these political songs are too specific, they are about collective moments that everyone knows. If a song sounds too much like the news, it loses its attraction for me. "

Lenchantin: "We want to make music that is timeless. If you attach yourself too much at a specific time, the existence of the music stops when that time is over. Then tell people later in history lessons: At that time you had such and such bands. I listen to classical. That music has survived all these periods. I can still enjoy centuries later. "

Black Francis: "This album is a song" Head Carrier 'hot. It is full of historical connotations. It's about Saint-Denis in Paris, the saint whose head was chopped off. He did not agree with the place where he would be buried and grabbed his head to carry around then ten kilometers, while the head was still talking. In my text, the story is told from the perspective of his companions, who were also killed. If you look at the news today, with all the religious murders, you would see a parallel. 'Head Carrier' is no clear comment on the news. But the connection is there, very thin as a hair. "

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  01:47:42  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the translation picpic.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  02:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for that, gustav.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  13:18:01  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/pixies-head-carrier-joey-santiago Joey interview GQ Mag.UK

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  01:12:51  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/tours/pixies-singer-black-francis-on-the-bands-need-to-carry-on-and-the-new-album/news-story/1ac0b66a88fd94be4caa6018e8082457 Black Francis Interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  02:11:19  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tw1to2B0Bk Paz audio interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  03:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paz talks ? Oh.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  04:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So now we know what they were doing in Canada last year: recording 10 demos. Then Dalgety flew from London to meet them and they clicked.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/01/2016 04:10:09
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  09:08:41  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like hearing Black saying he hopes they can incorporate the entire new record in upcoming setlists. Im sure they won't do a playing-the-record-in-it's-entirety thing, but his comment saying he hopes people react well to the record so they can play all the songs is cool. I still wish we would've heard live versions of Jaime Bravo and Ring the Bell.....
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  11:01:25  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

I like hearing Black saying he hopes they can incorporate the entire new record in upcoming setlists. Im sure they won't do a playing-the-record-in-it's-entirety thing, but his comment saying he hopes people react well to the record so they can play all the songs is cool. I still wish we would've heard live versions of Jaime Bravo and Ring the Bell.....

And W.O.W.too if possible.Jaime Bravo is a fave from Indie and so is Andro Q.Blue Eyed Hexe would be welcome back additions to the set.Special shows playing the entire record would make a special treat to the worldwide fanbase in my opinion.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  00:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The In Heaven / Andro Queen gig intro with Joey and his EBow was a thing of beauty :)
As long as they keep refreshing the setlists and playing the new stuff then I'm more than happy.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  04:02:45  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/black-francis-on-pixies-new-lp-making-peace-with-kim-deal-w437113 Black Francis talks to Rolling Stone Mag.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  06:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bummed to hear him say he's done making solo albums. hope he still does the occasional solo show with some of his solo material and catholic stuff
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  07:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd imagine he'll go back to solo stuff in five or ten years time whenever Pixies fizzles out again. And I had an inkling that his painting was taking up his time.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  11:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the difference between BF making music "on his own" and the Pixies anyway ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  11:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What's the difference between BF making music "on his own" and the Pixies anyway ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

I'd guess in part it has to do with the band mates and I'm sure there could be more of an expectation to rock out more so than on BF solo music. The Pixies sound could evolve over time though. I'm curious how the tempo is gonna throughout on the album.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  12:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

THIS.

I must admit, for decades I never got that perspective. At all.

The last time I saw FBF play a solo set it was at a duo gig where Reid Paley opened, and then the two of them did a few songs together at the end of FBF's headlining slot.

Afterwards, I was really thrilled to be asked back to hang with them for a bit. This was just a couple months before the official announcement that EP1 was being released.

I had not been keeping up with Pixies-related minutiae, and so was completely unaware at that point that many people had already sussed out that they had spent time in a studio, and that there was likely some kind of new record in the works.

FBF had actually played a handful of what would later come to be known as INDIE CINDY tracks by himself that night, and as I had never heard them before, I assumed they were geared toward his next DIY solo album under the Black Francis moniker.

The crowd at this gig seemed to be composed primarily of surface level Pixies fans, as the overwhelming majority of them did not seem enthusiastic or even familiar for most if not all of the solo BF or FB-era tunes he played, while the Pixies numbers caused them to go bonkers.

After the show, as we chatted, I mentioned to FBF - quite sincerely - that while I enjoyed hearing him play solo versions of Pixies tunes, I had to admit that what brought me the greatest joy that night was hearing his "solo" material - especially some of the more under-the-radar tracks.

(This was primarily because at that time, Pixies shows had actually become much more common than concerts which featured his back catalog from the initial post-Pixies years, and I felt like - but did not say aloud - that amazing and varied period of his songwriting was slipping somewhat into relative obscurity.)

I added that I was super excited about the "new tunes" he'd performed that night and really eager to hear his next Black Francis release (which I assumed might contain them).

Of course, the EP1 thing was still under wraps, and so in hindsight, he could/did not correct me to let me know those were actually new "Pixies" tunes.

He thanked me very graciously for what I had intended as a great compliment, but I noted an instant tinge of what I perceived to be dejection or perhaps sadness in his visage and voice. This confused me at the time, and I felt awful for it appeared I had inadvertently offended or disappointed him in some way.

This kind of stuck with me, and I wondered for a while what exactly it had been about my comments that might have regrettably caused that unintended reaction.

Later, when news of the new Pixies recording sessions surfaced, I realized that I had innocently offered up what must have seemed like lopsided praise for his "solo" work, while differentiating it from his "Pixies" material.

Then I recalled something he had said to me back in 2002, before the Pixies reunited, and I had asked him what kind of discussions went on between his former bandmates whenever someone wanted to license a Pixies song for a movie soundtrack, TV show or commercial. He essentially told me with a laugh that he (or perhaps his manager) would contact each of other Pixies, and ask them for their opinion on whether or not they wanted to allow the song to be used or not. Then, those individual replies would be forwarded to FBF, at which point, he would simply say "no."

It was a pithy response, and meant to be cute, but also clearly grounded in truth and an honest reflection of the defunct group's dynamic at that time.

After all, he added, with a kind of bemused tone, "They're all my songs."

Now, that can be taken as a legal definition, for terms of copyright (meaning that he and he alone makes the decisions about how his compositions are licensed, regardless of who else was involved in making the recordings which made those compositions famous), but it also stands as a clear and succinct description of creative ownership.

Right there in that moment, I "got it," and it changed the way I have viewed all of FBF's musical output ever since.

His recent comments regarding how he does or does not decide what is or is not a "Pixies" song have only served to reaffirm that for decades, this particular fan had a skewed idea of how exactly FBF approaches his own recorded output.

It's a tricky line he is "encouraged" to walk by most of his fans, and one that in many ways runs counter to his own inclinations as a creative artist and bandleader / bandmember.

I no longer mistakenly encourage him (even passively) to walk that arbitrary and rather amorphous line, and my enjoyment of the totality of his musical releases has increased dramatically since that epiphany.

This may all seem silly or ridiculously obvious to many or most of you on these boards, but I was locked into a narrow view of FBF's songcraft and outlook for ages.

All that said, however, I am still extremely disappointed that it seems increasingly unlikely we'll ever again hear full-band renditions of the years and years' worth of wonderful tracks from "FB" and "FB & The C's" records...

~ L.F.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

Edited by - peter radiator on 09/02/2016 14:20:20
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  18:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter Radiator

Thank you for the insightful read. It was therapeutic.

Your last paragraph resonated very strongly with me.

And your epiphany reminded me of how for my own understanding, I've come to refer to Pixies 1.0 as "Charles and the Pixies" (or FBF instead of Charles if you prefer.). It's just helped me process his corpus of work, sort of like reversing the Documentary Hypothesis of Graf-Welhausen. They're all his songs. Pixies was him. Pixies 2.0 is him. It's all been that guy, with various supporting casts over the years.

But again back to your last paragraph: he must know there are many who would love to hear those FB and FB and C's songs with full band support. Like, what would your dream setlist be from his entire catalog, and who would make up the band?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000