Page: of 22

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  03:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guy from wonderland

how many songs did they record with Tom? is there a number floating around out there?
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Great post Bedbug. I am nodding along especially to your points on You Might As Well Be Gone, Oona and Tenement Song. But especially Head Carrier: I had the distinct feeling when I hear the 'Hey Rusty' that first time that this album was pure Pixies and everything was going to be AOK.

I am also keenly waiting/hoping for B-sides. From some of the interviews there are snippets that they recorded a few more songs than 12.

American Rhyme
Bogman
I Like To Drive
Screw Pine
Super Lecker

Thinks those are the tracks recorded with Dalgety that didn't make the album.

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  07:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh that's interesting. Is that coming from inside info or did you pick it up in an interview?
Go to Top of Page

guy from wonderland
- FB Fan -

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  07:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you Stevio10.
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by guy from wonderland

how many songs did they record with Tom? is there a number floating around out there?
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Great post Bedbug. I am nodding along especially to your points on You Might As Well Be Gone, Oona and Tenement Song. But especially Head Carrier: I had the distinct feeling when I hear the 'Hey Rusty' that first time that this album was pure Pixies and everything was going to be AOK.

I am also keenly waiting/hoping for B-sides. From some of the interviews there are snippets that they recorded a few more songs than 12.

American Rhyme
Bogman
I Like To Drive
Screw Pine
Super Lecker

Thinks those are the tracks recorded with Dalgety that didn't make the album.

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  07:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those songs were listed on the BMI website at the same time as Tenement song and other new ones. No inside info and can't say 100% they were recorded or just demos.

But given they were all added at same time I'd be surprised if they weren't recorded during London RAK session.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  07:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bogman has one of those titles that make me salivate over the potential. I Like to Drive less so.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  08:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think of the FM/RM album cover when I think of the title Bogman
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  09:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same! Love both those songs. You could make a decent album out of those kinda titles:

Six Legged Man
Fast Man
Raiderman
Half Man
Men in Black (?)
Man of Steel
Constant Sorrow Man
Handyman
Skeleton Man

Brackish Boy and Bag Boy as the b-sides.

Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  11:00:33  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't forget Here Comes Your Man.....
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  11:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really love the first five songs, but my favorites are probably on the second half of the album. 'All I Think About Now' and 'All The Saints' are just gorgeous.

UCL is also a favorite, the early version sounded to me like an ok b-side, the album version elevates the idea of the song to a lost Come on Pilgrim number. BF' voice is 30 years older, but apart from that, it's classic early Pixies greatness, which is something I didn't think they could pull off.

I don't know if HC's breeziness leaves me wanting more or just wishing for a little bit more of that FBF left of center songwriting, the oddballs. Songs like Talent, Plaster of Paris and Bel Esprit are fun songs, but they're as straightforward as anything Frank as ever written. If you have a twenty-plus song album, sometimes these kind of numbers are very welcome additions. But when the album is this short and goes by this fast, I kind of wish those songs had a few more twists and turns to them.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  11:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could add in Women of War to the "man" album to mix it up
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  13:13:14  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My love best to Joey. Alcohol and drugs have been a part of life too. that's all now
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  00:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Same! Love both those songs. You could make a decent album out of those kinda titles:

Six Legged Man
Fast Man
Raiderman
Half Man
Men in Black (?)
Man of Steel
Constant Sorrow Man
Handyman
Skeleton Man

Brackish Boy and Bag Boy as the b-sides.

Cool! Don't forget Chip Away Boy! I like the female name album

Adda Lee
Alison
Ana
Cecilia Ann
Corrina
Goodbye Lorraine
Heloise
Ramona
Indie Cindy
Jane the Queen of Love
Lolita
Magdalena
Nadine
Oona
Polly's into me
Speedy Marie
Velouria (?)
Violet
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  01:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Song EP

Holiday
Shrimp
Long
Tenement
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  09:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mars EP ?

Planet of Sound
Bird dream of Olympus Mons
The Marsist
Big Red
Kicked in the Taco
...?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  10:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Mars EP ?

Planet of Sound
Bird dream of Olympus Mons
The Marsist
Big Red
Kicked in the Taco
...?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Good one, Robert 'The case for Mars Zubrin' Onion.

And though it doesn't mention Mars directly, Dog In The Sand (the song) is about leaving Earth and settling on Mars.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  11:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a long time, I also thought there was a Mars allusion in Thallasocracy

"You're walking Mars
And I'm just swimming in the slop"

But apparently the correct lyric is "You're walking machs". (I thought "Mars" sounded cool in there, though)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/09/2016 11:36:15
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  12:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be less inclined to get b-sides released if it means they can just go towards the next album with a faster turnaround!
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  12:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

I would be less inclined to get b-sides released if it means they can just go towards the next album with a faster turnaround!

Same, but I get the feeling the band are settling into an album every 2 years kind of schedule. So b-sides would come first anyway. Does seem as if BF will be using older songs on newer recordings if they still appeal to him.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  13:45:32  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Then release a surprise EP again. An EP that's simply just an EP, not part of an upcoming album like EPs 1-3
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  14:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But the quality of the albums would diminish with each release, no?
Edit: Sorry, was replying to The Scooper.

Yes, a normal EP, that sounds great. Still haven't given up on 'Oh Little Cloud' being a Pixies song.

Edited by - Fitzy on 10/09/2016 14:42:50
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  15:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy

But the quality of the albums would diminish with each release, no?
Edit: Sorry, was replying to The Scooper.

Yes, a normal EP, that sounds great. Still haven't given up on 'Oh Little Cloud' being a Pixies song.

If they are true "b-sides" ... but I've found most of FBF's b-sides to be just as good as anything else
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  11:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys! My thoughts on Head Carrier, so far.

Certainly some tracks are growing on me, but something in me can't reconcile this as a Pixies album. It really sounds like Frank Black (solo or with the Catholics) that are kind of being squeezed into a Pixies-shaped hole. I think Joey is doing some great stuff on the album, Paz seems cool enough (though I do agree with Pitchfork's assessment of her comparing to Kim Deal, she definitely seems "nicer"), but the sharp angular melodies and chord progressions and timing seem gone, all the songs feel kind of...pleasant? And smooth? And I LIKE the songs, cause I'm a bigger fan of Frank solo stuff than the Pixies! But I just have no idea how to process this album. I thought Indie Cindy felt more "Pixies" than this one, which I was not expecting. My girlfriend, who isn't huge into the Pixies, is LOVING the album. That kind of tells me something.

I really love Talent, which kind of reminds me of early XTC, and is just catchy as hell. So far that's the big stand out for me and the one that feels kind of effortlessly like a Pixies song.

Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  17:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I kind of thought along the same lines as you at first, but after many listens, it is more of a Pixies record. Yes, there are parts that definitely sound more like Frank Black as opposed to the Pixies, but overall the songs are very Pixies like. I believe, and this has probably been posted in one sense or the other many times, that after so many years without a Pixies record and so many years with Frank Black records, that almost for certain anything new is going to sound like "Frank Black". Our ears over the many years got used to Frank Black without even thinking for a second that there would be a second coming of the Pixies. These are just my thoughts, as fans I think we have the ability to differentiate the 2. For one, because most of us hold the Pixies so dear to our hearts, and two, it's just cool to be able to say new Pixies record. I used to play Frank Black records all the time with my Father when we got drunk and stuff and actually turned him on to quite a few songs that he very much liked. But, at the end of the day if I played anything from IC or HC, he would just say, "who is this, Frank Black?"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  02:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went through 3 different mental states listening to Head Carrier:

1st state: "meh"
2nd state: "this is a fucking great album !"
3rd state (now): mixed between "meh" and "this is a great track !"

I'll tell you about the 4th phase soon.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  03:44:40  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope the band makes praying mantis design t-shirts.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  08:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

I hope the band makes praying mantis design t-shirts.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Notice the connection from Manta to Mantis

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  09:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I went through 3 different mental states listening to Head Carrier:

1st state: "meh"
2nd state: "this is a fucking great album !"
3rd state (now): mixed between "meh" and "this is a great track !"

I'll tell you about the 4th phase soon.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I'm still on the 2nd state myself, hopefully 'meh' will never come. That said, the new songs'd be greater still if they sounded like they did at that recent Berlin show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPld8tjA5Eg

UCL at 26:25 and Baal at 38:09 are particularly great, much better than on the album. Similar has been said before, I know, but the live sound quality is really good here (on headphones, anyway).

Incidentally, I love Tame at 46:06 - it has a slightly different, lighter atmosphere that I can't quite put my finger on.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 10/17/2016 09:09:42
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  09:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reacted the same way in the Berlin Live topic. I hate Dalgety even more now. Not the person, just what he did with the material. Just listen to Baals back live VS the stupid mix on the album.

In a recent interview, Black Francis said that producers often want to put their stamp on the sound they produce. He's right. Dalgety took great songs, and put his big large stamp on it. And I don't like the stamp. Norton was more discreet on that level.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  09:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In a recent interview, Black Francis said that producers often want to put their stamp on the sound they produce. He's right. Dalgety took great songs, and put his big large stamp on it. And I don't like the stamp. Norton was more discreet on that level.

___
"Service Unavailable"

The reverse can be applied as well. Indie Cindy is a truely beautiful song on the record (too long yes, I admit) but when played live the band just can't make it sound good... It's almost ambarassing! All out of key and Black Francis can't sing it properly. It reminds me of Motorway to Roswell which may be the "Grandest" Pixies song but it just doesn't work live AT ALL. I guess it's because, as Joey said recently in the Berlin stuff interwiew, that band still makes mistakes... Is it a mere "behaviour"? Is it part of the promo? (Who worked very, very well for HC considering the actual quality of the recorded material). Anyway, "it all is disco" ;)

++++
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  10:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^I think Indie Cindy sounds pretty good on that Berlin video. I noticed, however, that Joey fucks up Velouria a bit - what is it about that song?

As someone else said elsewhere, I hope the next Pixies album is just blasted out as live - Albini-esque I suppose, but...different. I don't know. One can hope.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 10/17/2016 10:35:16
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  11:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey fucks up Velouria every time anyway. Lol :-D. Indie Cindy chorus also (4 single notes + volume pedal !). And Paz or BF voices are always out of tune on this song. I like Paz, but she's so out of tune most if the time... And I think the "arrangements" just don't work well live. It sounds good in the studio with the guitar/voices overdubs, but not very well live. Like What Goes Boom. Some songs just work well live and some don't. HC songs (the 4 we heard live so far) sound great onstage. So, I still can't get how Dalgety managed to butcher them, especially Baals.

As for Joey, I'm sure he'll play better in the future.
___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/17/2016 11:10:54
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  14:32:31  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While we're talking about screw ups, something that's bugged me in the few live versions as well as the actual studio recording are the final couple notes of Joey's outro riff on Classic Masher.... on the Berlin show he totally botches it which I honestly don't care about, that may have been the first time they performed it live.... but even on the studio recording the timing of the final two or three notes has always felt off to me. The timing or rhythm just seems off.... like he's coming in to the last three notes a beat or two early. I mean I guess that's the way it was intended because it's the studio version... but it always feels like a bit of a screw up that is there on the record.

Whatever. Nitpick, I still love the song/album/band.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  20:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't remember where I read this, but on Vamos (studio version), Joey also screws up and starts his pre-chorus riff too early or too late. And they kept it on the final mix, because it just felt nice.

And Norton remembering how he prayed behind his console when he heard the first notes of Joey recording the "Hey" solo. "It sounds really good so far... please don't screw up !.

Of course, knowing what we know now about his recent issues, this is less funny. But I think Joey 'inabilities' are part of his sound, and it would just not be the same without some of his glitches & mistakes.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  20:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^ same for me yarbles
When I saw the first video of Masher in Lisbon, I couldn't grasp the ending, it felt missing a beat or something
On the studio version, it's not missing a beat but it seems there's an edit to crossfade two notes, very strange to conceptualize

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  00:03:20  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey. Been avoiding the forum for the last couple of months, cause I didn't want to read or hear anything until I got the album in my hands.
I enjoyed reading this thread. Good vibes. I like the new album a lot. Classic FBF. The only thing that bugs me is Dave's drumming which I find very tame. Joey is a hundred times better here than on IC. In fact I could happily live without hearing IC ever again, but this new one is top notch.
Fave song: Bel Esprit.

Denis
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000