Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  03:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thesilenceofthelens

it leaves me wanting more. And that's a GREAT feeling to have once again.

THIS. That is the EXACT feeling I experienced from Surfer Rosa onwards as each album came out in 80s/90s. Didn't get that feeling with IC and not because it came out as a set of EPs. I cycled in to work today humming Head Carrier, Plaster, & Oona feeling so happy to be alive right now.

Edited by - Sprite on 09/26/2016 03:56:58
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  08:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

What was the first band to adopt this style? Pixies? My Bloody Valentine?

Maybe Johnny Cash and Jude Carter?

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  08:43:24  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy

Has anyone in Europe received Pledge e-mail confirming shipping of the album?

Starting to get kind of antsy about receiving the album days after the official release.

I got an email today, "All items from Pixies have been shipped"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  09:06:02  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Got an example of a tune?

I guess it's been done before many times, it just seems to fit so well into the shoegaze mould.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  09:16:44  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just moved house and so this album preview came just as I was moving in, and so I didn't get a chance to give it a #properlisten you know, give the album my whole brain, immerse my entire head in the sounds from one end to the other, and reflect on it properly. And so I walked a country mile to the shop, with a cold and a bottle of whisky and pumped it through my 4G seinheiser earphones.

I found more depth to it, and recognised more or the Pixies in there than before. Joey is on top form and it just so much more like a proper Pixies should be, whatever that is. I guess the band probably wanted to try something new, and it didn't work and so they realised that all their fans wanted was the old Pixies again, and that's pretty much what they have given us.

It's never going to be quite as good as the original albums of course, but it's a commendable effort, and the novelty hasn't worn off, in fact it sounded better today than the first time I heard it, which is obviously good.

I find a lot of the songs uplifting, happy songs. Indy Cindy was a bit dark and depressing in some ways.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  09:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Got an example of a tune?

I guess it's been done before many times, it just seems to fit so well into the shoegaze mould.

Maybe this one http://youtu.be/U3NJC18Oi04

--
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  09:30:19  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm... not quite. But sort of. Hmmm..
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  10:55:04  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Hmmm... not quite. But sort of. Hmmm..

Well, I guess the B-52's were doing it before the Pixies, albeit in a different way and context. Bob Dylan has a single female vocalist accompanying him on the album Desire in several spots (if memory serves). Not exactly a plethora of examples jumping to mind. If someone else was doing it, no one quite etched it in stone as a thing the way the Pixies did. If I were to give it a genre title (I assume you mean alternative rock music with a male lead and female counterpoint), I think just calling it Pixies style would be as fair as anything.

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  11:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been done for ages by tons of people before the Pixies.

I'd suggest looking into the Jefferson Airplane and Swimming Pool Q's.

Then there's this, which FBF (and likely the rest of the band) is clearly familiar with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exs-mcKApxI

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  11:42:53  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh yeah jefferson of course.

Go to Top of Page

Ecto
- FB Fan -

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  11:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

quote:

Starting to get kind of antsy about receiving the album days after the official release.

I got that email on the 20th, haven't received it yet but then again I live in the states.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  11:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe even Sonic Youth?

--

Edited by - sdon on 09/26/2016 11:52:02
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  12:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Velvet Underground & Nico has similarities. Likewise folkies Peter, Paul and Mary, Fairport Convention. And maybe to an extent Talking Heads.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  13:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I really like is the way on Head Carrier, Classic Masher and Oona he varies the melody a little bit on the second verse. Makes the songs as catchy as hell.

And I realised precisely what Plaster reminds me of. Late 80s/early 90s Fall just before Brix left.
Go to Top of Page

stoffaboy
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  02:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just picked up my vinyl with the slip mat , it's very nice , will be enjoying it in all its analogue glory tonight :-)
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  02:56:06  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not to speak for pot, but i think of course there are literally thousands of bands going back to jazz that had male and female singers. if that's the only criteria than you could cite any opera duet between like a tenor and a soprano. My impression is that he was driving at a basically modern, rock, punkish application of that. I'm not sure something like Johnny and June or the Mamas and the Papas are quite in line but who knows. Starting to get a little off topic though...

Go to Top of Page

stoffaboy
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  04:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just picked up my vinyl with the slip mat , it's very nice , will be enjoying it in all its analogue glory tonight :-)
Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  04:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Not to speak for pot, but i think of course there are literally thousands of bands going back to jazz that had male and female singers. if that's the only criteria than you could cite any opera duet between like a tenor and a soprano. My impression is that he was driving at a basically modern, rock, punkish application of that. I'm not sure something like Johnny and June or the Mamas and the Papas are quite in line but who knows. Starting to get a little off topic though...

I would agree with that johnnyribcage.
I think The Sugarcubes and Die Antwoord would be better comparisons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfd5srbPUlo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqEaFtiyt_k

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  08:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stoffaboy

Looking forward to hearing your input about sound quality compared to the digital version.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  10:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got a message from Pledge to say it's shipped. Will be doing my own FB pose very soon :)
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  14:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to back off listening to the NPR stream in anticipation of Friday. But I have to listen to Plaster of Paris and Classic Masher at least once a day.
Might As Well Be Gone is the only track that I fairly dislike. It's so plain, BF can do better. Bel Espirit is also bland to me but the interchange of vocals and the claps elevate it a bit. Lyrics on both tracks are pretty pedestrian. They are the Ring The Bell and Another Toe of this album for me.

Baal's Back is fine, I don't love it. The rest are all gems and All I Think About really sounds better than I expected it to. Paz's vocals work but the guitars and atmosphere are what raises it up beyond pleasant. That's Pixies right there.

For now I can safely say I really enjoy the album, and it's a worthy addition to the catalog because of its lightness and relay value because of songs that are more fleshed out.

Swap out the 2 I mentioned up top with some more complex and wired BF tracks and it would be original 4 level.

Looking forward to Friday to play it out without self-imposed limitations. Pixies done good on this one.
Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  16:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At first, Might as well be Gone, I kind of dismissed. When I have come back to it the last couple of times, I dig it. After the opening of the song, it goes quiet except for the bouncing bass line. Sorry, but it just reminds me so much of the older records, which I guess is somewhat nostalgic, but so what? The point is, this record is great because it keeps reeling me back in to take more listens, which is exactly how I became a Pixies fan to begin with.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  01:10:05  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey I just thought of something - where is wilson?

Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  05:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should this album have been titled Cephalophore?
The older album titles, were all taken from a lyric rather than a song title.

The subject Cephalophore is a bit obscure.
Could Frank have been influenced by the They Might Be Giants track?
You Probably Get That A Lot
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  05:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pmjk, remember Trompe le Monde!

The subject fits right in with BF. Svn Fngrs with Greek and Irish mythology. I'd say he went on one of his Wikipedia binges.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  06:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmjk

Should this album have been titled Cephalophore?
The older album titles, were all taken from a lyric rather than a song title.

The subject Cephalophore is a bit obscure.
Could Frank have been influenced by the They Might Be Giants track?
You Probably Get That A Lot

In a recent interview, Joey says the album title was meant to be Cephalophore
But it ended up as the english translation Head Carrier
Probably for marketing reasons

I would have loved Cephalophore as the album title, and Head Carrier as the opener

--

Edited by - sdon on 09/28/2016 06:45:40
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  07:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Head Carrier" as a title sounds badass. "Cephalophore" feels weird as a title.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  07:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

I prefer my Pixies weird than badass :)

If we go by the "title = line from the lyrics" formula, I would have preferred Trapezista (from Jaime Bravo) to Indie Cindy
And Cepalophore to Head Carrier, though the meaning is the same, it sounds more poetic and abstract to me

--

Edited by - sdon on 09/28/2016 07:33:37
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  07:41:13  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indie Cindy should have been called Cock in Cocktail

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  07:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Imagine if Trompe was named "The shrine of the Sea-monkey"...!

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  08:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

I prefer my Pixies weird than badass :)

If we go by the "title = line from the lyrics" formula, I would have preferred Trapezista (from Jaime Bravo) to Indie Cindy
And Cepalophore to Head Carrier, though the meaning is the same, it sounds more poetic and abstract to me

--

Agree on all of this. And Cephalaphore sounds surprisingly catchy when it's sung in Plaster of Paris. Head Carrier is find, Indie Cindy was a weak title.

Reviews continue to be mixed and a lot of commenters online just love to take shots at BF and the band. It's a shame, because you can tell the band are currently very loose and chipper on the new stuff. The progression from IC to HC is noticeable and whatever comes next hopefully sees them be even more free and creative.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  08:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange. I really like the title Head Carrier. Could mean many things. More open than the saint story. And I can picture cool stories around it. I envision Black Francis collecting other people heads and carrying them around as trophies.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/28/2016 08:39:59
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  08:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got to hear it, listened through 4 or 5 times now.

Much better than IC and despite the few predictably bitter & largely nonsensical reviews that have appeared...I think this is a great Pixies record. They're back!

Favourites so far: Baal's Back, Might as Well be Gone, Oona, All I Think About Now & Plaster of Paris. Oona in particular made me go a bit weak at the knees when I heard it, maybe because it's perfect 'classic' Pixies in every respect. That (and some of the other tracks) are close to pastiche but somehow they pull it off. It all sounds fresh and vital to me.

What don't I like as much? Forum favourite Classic Masher is a blind spot for me - standard power pop with a predictable tune/chord sequence and a bit cheesy. I don't get why it's been raved about so much on here. Also the opening line of Talent made me cringe the first time and still does now.

Other than that a MASSIVE thumbs up from me.

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 09/28/2016 08:44:44
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  09:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

quote:

Yes, also received the Pledge message. It won't be long now.

But, after the initial shock of maybe not hearing the album until a week from now, I finally caved and have been hearing the album non-stop.

Natenate101, just a little defense for one of my early favorite, 'Might As Well Be Gone'. The chorus may be simple, but there's something deceptive about the verses in terms of melody. It sounds a little "off", mysterious, when paired with that chorus. I love that sour/sweet mix that the song has. Reminds me his early solo work.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  09:50:55  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Head Carrier is a great title in my opinion. Certainly better than Cepalaphore (again my opinion). Cepalaphore would have given the negative nellys one more thing to gripe about. Anyway, I'm not following the song-on-album-as-album-title = bad argument. It's certainly not without precedent even in the classic catalog. Trompe of course was the same deal with the first track as the title track.

Man I'm shittin' my britches with anticipation to hear this thing. Come on Friday...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000