Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  22:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Figured we could use a thread specifically for the album, now that it's out there for order.
https://pixies.pmstores.co

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jul/06/pixies-to-release-new-album-head-carrier-in-september

Add on folks....

http://louderthanwar.com/listen-new-pixies-song-upcoming-new-album-head-carrier/
Quotes from Paz here.

Edited by - natenate101 on 07/05/2016 22:20:34

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  22:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woke up in the middle of the night to see if UCL was out there yet.Glad it is. It's so fleshed out and full compared to the demo. Makes the demo sound like a demo. Really whetting my appetite for the album.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  22:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess BBC6 just premiered it and the feedback on Twitter is very positive so far. Lots of folks happy about the more "raw" sound. Woohoo!
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBC6Breakfast/status/750599625942466560

Edited by - natenate101 on 07/05/2016 22:34:02
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  22:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YEAAAAAAHHHHHH !!!!

Superoverhypercompressed but I love it.

Wheeee ! Love the dynamics. Sounds way better than anything on Indie Cindy for sure. Love the insane speed.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  22:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

YEAAAAAAHHHHHH !!!!

Superoverhypercompressed but I love it.

Wheeee ! Love the dynamics. Sounds way better than anything on Indie Cindy for sure. Love the insane speed.

___
"Service Unavailable"

It definitely has an urgency that was missing on IC.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  23:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still enjoying it after 5 listens. And want to click more. Never felt that since Trompe.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  23:41:17  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
glad they got the technical bits sorted as when I checked the links i got in the email, none actually had the song to listen too yet.
from first listen, nice to hear franks vocal a bit lower and the guitars, especially joey's very high.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

DwarfUK
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  00:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's on Spotify now
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  00:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really pleased to see positivity for UCL
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  00:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilson

Really pleased to see positivity for UCL

It's such a nice burst. Doesn't wear out it's welcome and it's catchy.

Thanks again for all the info you've provided. Really cool of you.
Go to Top of Page

Ecto
- FB Fan -

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  01:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's great to wake up and see a new Pixies song is released. I was a little bummed that the first single was UCL but man does it sound great. I love the speed and the vocals going back and forth. It's gonna be a long wait to the end of September...
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  01:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Head Carrier by Pixies
https://itun.es/gb/inPodb

Lists track lengths. Shorter songs and overall a pretty brisk album. Probaby better this way.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  02:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"They're coming to get me" - siren sound. I feel trolled by Joey.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  02:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have not listened to it yet. At work with no headphones or speakers. Roll on 5pm.

From Pitchfork

http://pitchfork.com/news/63409-pixies-announce-new-album-head-carrier-share-um-chagga-lagga-listen/

Back in 2014, the reunited Pixies released Indie Cindy, their first album of new material since 1991’s Trompe Le Monde. Now, a followup is on the way. The 12-track LP Head Carrier, which unlike Indie Cindy was conceived as a full album, comes out September 30 on Pixiesmusic/Play It Again Sam. The band recorded the album at RAK in London with producer Tom Dalgety. Listen to “Um Chagga Lagga” below, and scroll down for the art (designed by longtime collaborator Vaughan Oliver), album tracklist, and European dates, which they’ll soon follow with a full world tour itinerary.

She was replaced by Kim Shattuck of the Muffs, who was fired just a few months later. Paz Lenchantin of A Perfect Circle, Zwan, and the Entrance Band is now the band’s official bassist. “I was very nervous in the beginning when I went to that first rehearsal,” she said in a press release. “There were these shoes I felt I had to fill and I tried to do the best I could for the fans, to make the live performances sound true to the originals. I spent three years learning to understand what being a Pixie meant, and now, my heart, spirit, and love for their music is embedded in me and I feel like I have become a Pixie. We had been more about the history of the Pixies, but now, we are about going forward.”

Unlike most other Pixies records, Head Carrier came together after six intensive weeks in the studio, rather than a few days. Drummer David Lovering said in a press release: “This was a wonderful luxury, for us to have the time to be able to really work these new songs out. By the time we started recording, we all knew the songs backwards and forwards, so it took half as long for us to make this album as it did to make 'Indie Cindy.' And it was great working with Tom... he started with us in pre-production and played a big part in keeping us focused on making the best music we could.”

Edited by - Sprite on 07/06/2016 02:10:08
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  02:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Head Carrier Credits

Pixies:
Black Francis – guitar/vocals
Joey Santiago – lead guitar/backing vocals
David Lovering – drums/backing vocals
Paz Lenchantin – bass/vocals

All songs written by the Pixies apart from “All I Think About Now,”
written by Francis and Lenchantin

Produced, recorded and mixed by Tom Dalgety
Recorded at RAK Studios, London
Mixed at Psalm Studios, London
Assistant at RAK: Rob Brinkman
Art direction and design: Vaughan Oliver
Design assistance: Joshua Price
Illustrations: Ian Pollock

Worldwide management: Richard Jones Key Music Management Ltd
Exclusively licensed worldwide to Play It Again Sam/[PIAS]
P & C Pixies Music 2016

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  02:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SPOILER
all the lyrics here
(this PR website is not intended for the general public)
http://herfitzpr.com/hpr.com/Pixies_Head_Carrier_Lyrics.html

--
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  03:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Heavy spoil. I guess the whole album will be leaked in no time...

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  03:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my feelings about UCL:

overcompressed : I don't like BF's sound here, muddy. Trying to sound modern, but compare to the crisp Albini sound for instance (or to Women of War!)
General feeling and sincerity : much better than on Indie Cindy
Speed : appropriate, and fun "sense of urgency"
Joey's guitar is high : good, creates a stronger identity
Drumming : more creative than on IC, punchier cymbals
Distortion on Paz vocals: perfect (I find her voice a bit too bland otherwise)
Bass: can someone really hear it?
BF vocals : nice touch of craziness and spontaneity

Overall, as Bolero said "It's so fleshed out and full compared to the demo. Makes the demo sound like a demo."

--

Edited by - sdon on 07/06/2016 04:03:16
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  03:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 for the usual overcompression sound.

It's better than Indie Cindy. I could never listen to any Indie Cindy song 5 times in a row without getting a headache. It's better here. But you can't fully enjoy Paz Bass that seems to drive the whole piece very nicely. I guess we can't avoid compression anyway. No song would play on the radio without it. The whole music business is getting dumber and dumber. Hopeless.

The song is great on every other level. 4 stars out of 5.

edit: just spent a short time scanning through the album lyrics. Looks like a few angry songs are directly addressed to Kim Deal.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 07/06/2016 04:28:27
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  04:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, three whole posts before compression was mentioned. God I miss my twenties.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  05:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic
just spent a short time scanning through the album lyrics. Looks like a few angry songs are directly addressed to Kim Deal.

yes!

got this feeling from
3 BAAL’S BACK
4 MIGHT AS WELL BE GONE
5 OONA
9 ALL I THINK ABOUT NOW
11 PLASTER OF PARIS

--
Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  08:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't reading the forum at the time, but wasn't Bag Boy kind of about her, too? I always had that feeling...
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  08:18:54  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't say that I feel any of these songs are about Kim Deal.... They sound more like songs about lost lovers and ended relationships like that.

Also, didn't Kim originally record at least bass for Bagboy? I feel like that song was written before the Indie Cindy sessions and before Kim ultimately left the band.

But what do I know?

Edited by - yarbles on 07/06/2016 11:19:35
Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  08:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're probably right actually, unless the lyrics would have been changed on last minute. Well! It doesn't matter that much. We'll probably never know!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  08:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, he's not throwing names or facts in his lyrics. But there's a few obvious hints here and there. They're hard to miss, to me at least.

I also thought BF wasn't bitter at all about the whole KD issue. I even thought he was rather relieved after she left.

Maybe he's just making fun by putting gigantic clues here and there, even though those songs are not about her.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  10:09:58  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine he would spend that much energy on it.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  10:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
11 tracks credited to BF and 1 to BF and Paz. Now that is pithy.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  10:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a single song cracks 4:00. Longest is 3:37. Probably a dumb thing to get excited about, but one of the best features of old school Pixies was the complete lack of fat on most of the songs.

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Head Carrier by Pixies
https://itun.es/gb/inPodb

Lists track lengths. Shorter songs and overall a pretty brisk album. Probaby better this way.

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  10:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spotted that as well (in fact I think Wilson mentioned previously). I fully agree with you, I think it bodes well.

Just listened to UCL a few times. Definitely clean and crisper than anything on IC. Dave's drumming is much more urgent which is great, Frank vocal delivery is tighter and more precise, there's a bit of that old style moan/wail that is completely missing from IC. And Paz's vocals mix in quite nicely which I was worried would not after Women of War. Only thing I don't like is Joey's lead on the opening verses but he makes up for it later on. All in all very excited for this record.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  11:22:50  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wellp here we are! UCL sounds much better and more frantic than I had expected. Pretty exciting! It seemed like a b side at best in earlier iterations but I think it's a fine lead off for the new stuff, and it really came together nicely in the studio. Has a much better vibe than Bagboy did as a kick off.

Can't wait till September! My only hope is that they don't release every song before the actual album like last time. If they do I'm going to try my hardest to avoid spoiling the album experience before 9/30. Not sure how successful I would be at that but worth a shot.

New Pixies! Not something that happens very often! Wheeee!!!!

My density has popped me to you.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 07/06/2016 11:24:03
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  11:28:50  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Agreed. It's old news at this point. Lot of water under the bridge. Might be a line or two but I doubt much more, even after checking the lyrics out. Not that I would presume to know. I just doubt it - seems like he (and they) have moved on. Why "move on" with a bunch of new material about old drama?

Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  11:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

Agreed. It's old news at this point. Lot of water under the bridge. Might be a line or two but I doubt much more, even after checking the lyrics out. Not that I would presume to know. I just doubt it - seems like he (and they) have moved on. Why "move on" with a bunch of new material about old drama?

I think Indie Cindy is the closest we will get to a self referential song about the band. Everything else is about some obscure ancient figure being abducted by aliens, we just don't realize it.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  11:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anger, bitterness and frustration can make good songs. Why not ?

Not sayng this is the case here. I thought the whole thing was old story. But... Why not ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  11:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br
Can't wait till September! My only hope is that they don't release every song before the actual album like last time. If they do I'm going to try my hardest to avoid spoiling the album experience before 9/30. Not sure how successful I would be at that but worth a shot.

I'll find out when CM is dropping and letcha kno
Go to Top of Page

wilson
- FB Fan -

59 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  12:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to chat once you've all heard the whole thing .. it's pretty baalsy

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0hKoIaawIEE
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  12:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

quote:

quote:

Agreed. It's old news at this point. Lot of water under the bridge. Might be a line
or two but I doubt much more, even after checking the lyrics out. Not that I would presume to know. I just doubt it - seems like he (and they) have moved on. Why "move on" with a bunch of new material about old drama?

I think Indie Cindy is the closest we will get to a self referential song about the band. Everything else is about some obscure ancient figure being abducted by aliens, we just don't realize it.

From what I could gather, Ba'al's Back would be the most direct Kim Deal reference where Ba'al is the God of rain and thunder. The Epic of Ba'al tells the story of fertility, death and rebirth. The Warrior Maiden (Paz) saves Ba'al (BF) from the God of Death (KD minus Pixies).

That's just my interpretation without reading any lyrics. If BF is going to reference my bet he will do it in mythology. FFS do you guys even listen? I mentioned this before! Haha

I guess the excitement of the new record has reached record highs - I like UCL I think Dalgety is the key here, he makes the Pixies an indie rock band again.

Edited by - Stevio10 on 07/06/2016 12:46:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000