Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
231 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  05:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

According to Paz's instagram, she is currently recording material in Canada. Might this be new Pixies material? I will probably be dismissed by others here for suggesting so, but my hopes are high.

https://instagram.com/p/7LLbf3M7Fn/?taken-by=fierylimbs

-oddball

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  08:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, good find. Combined with the Pixies Super Lecker reference she posted a day earlier, I'd say you could be on to something...
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  22:02:01  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very exciting. They were in Colorado, then it's all silence, next in Toronto.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  14:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tres juicy observation! Let's hope so.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  18:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's hope so!

Edit: where is the Instagram post referenced in the original post? The link given doesn't refer to anything about recording.

Edit: never mind, I see it. Sorry.

Edited by - natenate101 on 09/05/2015 19:16:17
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  09:22:01  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed! It's been awhile now. Assuming that's what she's up to, I wonder if they'll be mostly dipping back into that huge batch of rice n beans music list (o little cloud, um chagga, etc) or if they're working on new "new" material...

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  06:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's hope they don't over-use compressors in Canada.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  06:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's hoping they try out some new material at the TURF festival in toronto in a couple weeks!
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  07:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Fingers crossed! It's been awhile now. Assuming that's what she's up to, I wonder if they'll be mostly dipping back into that huge batch of rice n beans music list (o little cloud, um chagga, etc) or if they're working on new "new" material...

I would hope it is a mix of both. How many Rice and Beans tracks were left to be heard?

Watch this be Paz recording a solo instrumental album or something, haha.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  10:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure it's solo stuff? She had pictures of her jamming with other folk recently.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  08:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a bit of cheeky snooping I noticed that Joey recently became Facebook friends with 3 people from Toronto, a musician, a sound recordist (mostly TV by the looks of it) and the owner the Toronto based studio The Canterbury Music Company, Jeremy Darby.

Now Jeremy's been posting some very interesting things lately. I wonder who he could be talking about? ;)

September 1st: "Started a 35 studio day run.... BIG FUN ... Day One with a Legendary Band. Lovely folks!!!"
September 6th: "My sessions this week seem to be going very well." "A very productive day. With really nice people"
September 6th: "I am sworn to secrecy about the legendary band I have the pleasure of working with. But. They love Lou, Iggy, and David. Makes for a fun time"
September 10th: "Can't say who. But I am having a great time recording my legendary American band."

Several people are trying to guess but I don't have the heart to ruin his fun. Haha.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  10:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awesome

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
231 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  10:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very exciting, indeed. Here's hoping we get to hear some of this soon!

-oddball
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  14:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding snooping jake3! 35 days is a good long run, I'd love if it was an album, that gets released 10 days later.
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  15:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quality sleuthing Jake. I wonder if this recording session will make Paz a full-fledged band member.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  21:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job, Sherlock !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  22:46:51  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://canterburymusic.ca

On their list of artists page there are lots of very Canadian acts.
Barenaked Ladies, Rheostatics, Moe Koffmann (sax, flute, writer of Swingin' Shephard Blues), Ian Tyson (the grandfather of Canadian Folk, of Ian and Sylvia "Four Strong Winds"), Ian Thomas is the brother of Dave Thomas the comedian of Bob and Doug fame who had a string of unfortunate hits in the 1970s like Painted Ladies and wrote the Bob & Doug movie theme, The Tragically Hip are huge only in Canada.

I wonder which albums those represent.

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/13/2015 11:02:57
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  22:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done jake!
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  10:56:08  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How do you find Joey Santiago's Facebook and who was the musician he friended?
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  12:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.facebook.com/joey.santiago.56?fref=ts

That's Joey's Facebook page. The musician is Alli Devenish (AKA Alli Sunshine), a local singer-songwriter. I doubt she or the TV sound recordist will have anything to do with the recording session.

Still no clues on who is producing it. Jeremy Darby will likely be credited as an engineer.

Edited by - jake3 on 09/14/2015 12:09:15
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  22:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

I would hope it is a mix of both. How many Rice and Beans tracks were left to be heard?

Pretty sure the Rice and Beans tracks from the last batch are;

Alice Prin
Banks of the Drain
Classic Masher
Land of Green
Last Night the Wolves Came Out
O Little CLoud
Pickerel Picker
Rats Alive
Tranquilize Me
Um Chagga Lagga
Una
Women of War

Incidentally (pretty sure it was noted at the time) all songs released from Indie Cindy with the exception of Women of War have 'Lone Child' as the publisher and not Rice and Beans. The songs above has the publisher as Rice and Beans.

I don't know what the significance of that is, if it has any, but it caught my interest.

And great spot Jake!

Edited by - Stevio10 on 09/14/2015 23:16:40
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  22:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The New Bolero

I wonder if this recording session will make Paz a full-fledged band member.

I wonder if this Instagram giveaway will mark the end of Paz in the band.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  08:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
T
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

Pretty sure the Rice and Beans tracks from the last batch are;

Alice Prin
Banks of the Drain
Classic Masher
Land of Green
Last Night the Wolves Came Out
O Little CLoud
Pickerel Picker
Rats Alive
Tranquilize Me
Um Chagga Lagga
Una
Women of War

Incidentally (pretty sure it was noted at the time) all songs released from Indie Cindy with the exception of Women of War have 'Lone Child' as the publisher and not Rice and Beans. The songs above has the publisher as Rice and Beans.

I don't know what the significance of that is, if it has any, but it caught my interest.

And great spot Jake!

Those must have been changed to Lone Child after the fact. Initially only Snakes and a few others were under Lone Child while the rest were under Rice and Beans. Maybe when they are actually released they go under Lone Child?
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20919
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  11:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

quote:
Originally posted by The New Bolero

I wonder if this recording session will make Paz a full-fledged band member.

I wonder if this Instagram giveaway will mark the end of Paz in the band.

it's educational

Hopefully not. I think Instagram Giveaway is a bit harsh. It's just a few of us obsessives on an obscure forum so far.......
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
231 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  13:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm really sorry if my bringing this to the attention of forum members has caused any tension. That wasn't my intent. In the event that anyone in band reads this, please accept my apology.

-oddball
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  04:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'll be going more-or-less right by Canterbury studio on Sunday at around 12:30 on my way over to the pixies show. little chance they'll be in the studio that morning, though.
there's also a chance i can get over there over lunch from the 28th -30th as I'm at a conference in downtown Toronto. maybe i'll have to see if I can find anything out...
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  07:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
exciting stuff! i was just listening to indie cindy the other day and thinking what a great album...and considering all the music frank turns out it has been quite a long time without anything new.

as an aside i have been downloading a lot of the podcasts from sound opinions and listened to the pixies one from 2010 on doolittle. pretty good.

http://www.soundopinions.org/show/217

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  01:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see Jeremy has publically revealed that the Pixies are indeed recording a new album with himself:

September 18th: "THE PIXIES..... NEW ALBUM"

That's cool, so it'll be interesting watch to see if we get any updates from him. Fingers crossed a new track or two will show it's face live over the next couple of days! I guess we'll just wait and see.

Any speculation about the album? 'Super Lecker' seems to be filling the titular roll 'Indie Cindy' had on the last LP and it certainly has the kind of quirk expected of a Pixies album title. Going off the band's recent Rolling Stone interview, the 2014 Halloween demos (Super Lecker Mastered) that Frank kindly shared with us and what we have already heard I think the songs most in for a shout of being on the album are:
- Super Lecker
- Classic Masher
- Um Chagga Lagga
- O' Little Cloud
- Down To Tulom

'Alice Prin' has been namechecked in at least one interview and the demo to 'Last Night The Wolves Came Out' is very much known to us, so I think they'd be in for a fair shout as well. Obviously we we certainly can't forget other BMI tracks such as 'Banks of the Drain', 'Land Of Green', 'Pickerel Picker', 'Rats Alive', 'Tranquilize Me' and 'Una', provided any of them haven't evolved into something already released.

The band have mentioned before they'd like to get Paz playing violin, something I'm sure could create an interesting dynamic alongside Joey's lead guitar.

Anyone remember any other titbits we've been given? Anyone found any information in 'The Good Inn' like there is supposed to be (haven't managed to grab myself a copy yet)? Anyone think Guncotton could show it's face?
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  02:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting comment that someone has just attached to Jeremy's latest announcement:

"Cats out the bag!! Must've been a blast! Did it, in the end, include a guest vocal from a certain British singer?"

To me, it sounds like a friend of Jeremy's making a nod to an earlier private conversation they had before anything was confirmed. Now maybe it's nothing, but if it is true then I'd be hugely interested in finding out who it could be and whether it came off. To describe the person as a 'certain' British singer, seems to me to suggest that who ever this person is, it would be a known name, not just some random backing singer.

Like I said, it could be nothing, so I'm not getting my hopes up but it's exciting times ahead either way!
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  02:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"sadly no"

Is what Jeremy has just replied. Well that dream came and went quickly, haha. Shame it was never pulled off. I wonder who it could have been and how close it actually came to happening?

#JeremyWatch
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  04:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very very cool. Glad to see the Pixies are back at it. excited to hear what they do next.
I guess Paz is off the hook now, haha. This Jeremy guy must've gotten permission to post that so BF and co. aren't being sheepish about it.
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  07:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kudos to you guys for figuring it out before he announced it!
I wonder why he's announced it now? they should still have a few weeks of studio time left, judging by his initial post referring to a 35 day studio run...
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  21:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

"sadly no"

Is what Jeremy has just replied. Well that dream came and went quickly, haha. Shame it was never pulled off. I wonder who it could have been and how close it actually came to happening?

#JeremyWatch

Robert Plant?
or Mark E. Smith...

--
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  21:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

I see Jeremy has publically revealed that the Pixies are indeed recording a new album with himself:

September 18th: "THE PIXIES..... NEW ALBUM"

That's cool, so it'll be interesting watch to see if we get any updates from him. Fingers crossed a new track or two will show it's face live over the next couple of days! I guess we'll just wait and see.

Any speculation about the album? 'Super Lecker' seems to be filling the titular roll 'Indie Cindy' had on the last LP and it certainly has the kind of quirk expected of a Pixies album title. Going off the band's recent Rolling Stone interview, the 2014 Halloween demos (Super Lecker Mastered) that Frank kindly shared with us and what we have already heard I think the songs most in for a shout of being on the album are:
- Super Lecker
- Classic Masher
- Um Chagga Lagga
- O' Little Cloud
- Down To Tulom

'Alice Prin' has been namechecked in at least one interview and the demo to 'Last Night The Wolves Came Out' is very much known to us, so I think they'd be in for a fair shout as well. Obviously we we certainly can't forget other BMI tracks such as 'Banks of the Drain', 'Land Of Green', 'Pickerel Picker', 'Rats Alive', 'Tranquilize Me' and 'Una', provided any of them haven't evolved into something already released.

The band have mentioned before they'd like to get Paz playing violin, something I'm sure could create an interesting dynamic alongside Joey's lead guitar.

Anyone remember any other titbits we've been given? Anyone found any information in 'The Good Inn' like there is supposed to be (haven't managed to grab myself a copy yet)? Anyone think Guncotton could show it's face?

Excellent sum-up of what we know or speculate so far
I remember Joey wanting a rawer sound too
I hope the tracks won't all be too much downtempo

--
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  00:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers.

September 19th: "Thats a wrap on THE PIXIES...Sure was a lot of fun!"

All done and finished it seems.... I guess the 35 day studio run involved more than one band. I thought it sounded a lot, ha.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  03:42:08  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very good news.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000